4 – Family Meeting
728 0 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Liu Family is an ancient family. It has spanned across at least 50 generations in White Blossom County. The entire family compound extends for over a hundred li, with over a hundred branches scattered across from the end of a mountain to the other.

Perhaps the greatest honour of the Liu Family would be the plague hung up proudly on the meeting hall of the main family. The plaque was carved with a single phrase “Eternal foundation of Xin” which was not done through a chisel but rather a sword. It was personally given to the Liu Family by the 18th King of Xin 300 years ago as appreciation for the family’s long-standing dedication towards supporting the kingdom’s infrastructure. This ranged from mansions to bridges to walls and even the castle of Xin did not escape the hammer and chisel of the artisans of Liu.

Standing below this plaque was a 16 year-old-youth, faced by countless family members, young and old. There were various differing expressions seen from the various members, ranging from curiosity to enraged to a simple smile that belies their true intentions.

Liu Xun would not trust any flowery words offered by anybody present. This is especially after the ‘open-clothed’ full display of his system through the public announcement yesterday. It would be untrue to say everyone came with nefarious intentions, but it would likewise be foolish to not assume as such.

Nevertheless, the stare-down was only temporary as the elderly man with deep wrinkles with a long wide beard dressed in a white Taoist robe and horsetail whisk gave a light cough to silence the whispering crowd. The entire hall fell quiet. He then gave a momentary stare at the young youth at the epicentre of this mess before sighing.

“Liu Xun, I am sure you know what events caused you have appeared before us today.”

This question may seem obvious to the younger generation, but it started ringing more alarm bells for Liu Xun who has already consumed the GuanXin Knowledge Pill.

This old fart is actually attempting to pry out information by giving such a vague statement! He expects me to tell him of all the benefits I have obtained. As they say, the older the ginger, the spicier.

Liu Xun shoved those thoughts aside, as he gave a very innocent yet frightful look as if he stuttered out, “P-patriach, junior is not sure what mistakes he has committed. Junior has always been cutting lumber every day. Besides the event where junior was granted the ‘gift’ by the great ones, junior is unsure of what else has transpired.”

A swallowing sound was heard as Liu Xun gather his thoughts.

“Junior has received a system that allows junior to get one reward per day by visiting places. The rewards junior obtains are completely random. It was just bad luck that junior received a mantou from a shrine! Junior would never dream of daring to steal offerings, even in death!”

The Liu patriarch gave a stern look, his eyes were glaring at Liu Xun as if trying to pry out every secret hidden on his bare body. His expression varied between a glare and pondering expression, trying to think if the situation was really as the victim presented it to be.

The peanut gallery behind was starting to get noisy after getting confirmation that another Liu descendant had obtained the blessings of a system. Some of the stares behind revealed envy, rage, indignation and even desire. There were also still a few remaining looks of suspicion. However, this presentation of Liu Xun was indeed what they would expect of the simple-minded woodcutter. He was just like his father, honest to a fault.

“Silence!”

The peanut gallery immediately stopped all the whispers as the Liu Patriarch smiled towards Liu Xun while speaking in a gentle tone, “Liu Xun, you have always followed your father’s footsteps and have been contributing to the Liu Family as our loyal members. Considering you have developed the chance to leap over the dragon gate, the Liu Family will not shortchange you. Old Seven, promote Liu Xun to the main family and provide him with one of the inner courtyards. Liu Xun, go back and say your farewells before coming here to cultivate.”

The man dressed in brown with grey hair and bulging waist that stood beside the patriarch gave a light nod in affirmation with his words. Liu Xun gave a short look at this man, before resuming to look at his feet.

So, that is the seventh elder.

The crowd had loud gasps echoing throughout. It was a rare occasion for a branch family member who had poor cultivation roots to be offered to chance to cultivate in the main family. All the decent ones were nurtured in the main family before attempting to join a sect. Gifted ones like Liu Yuankai were directly given the opportunity to join the sect to receive the highest level of care.

As the saying goes, one’s heart does not leave far from home. Most prominent families provide great care in hopes that the prodigies would return the favour by becoming elders, the patriarch or bring other benefits to the family. Nonetheless, if more benefits can be obtained earlier, most of these families would not hesitate to kill the golden goose.

“T-thank you, patriarch! Junior is undeserving of such treatment, but he would not let you down!”

The patriarch gave Liu Xun one last glance, before dismissing him from the main hall.

Liu Xun slowly walked out of the hall with a hunched back, a figure that subtly displayed subservience. Yet, deep in his heart, only a cold sneer could be heard.

This old coot wants to play games, eh? Well, fine by me. I can get more resources along with better sign-in rewards in the main compound anyways. Let’s find out if you will be able to see more than what I want you to see!

The sign-in system has not mentioned an actual sign-in limit. Liu Xun had purposely revealed that he had one sign-in limit daily to muddy the waters. If the Liu Family knew that Liu Xun could do more than just signing in and that it was dependent on location, who knows they may even choose to imprison him in an ancestral site or find some way to sell him off! The old him would probably gladly help to count the money of the family who sold him off even!

By the time this event had transpired, the sun was already setting in the west. Liu Xun looked up into the sky and heaved a deep sigh as he slowly walked back to his small home.

19