Chapter 17: Surprise Attack
218 4 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      “We’re all in this together,” The words from the commercial made Maggie cringe. She nearly squeezed the styrofoam cup in her hands to the break point. Its contents would’ve made an unwelcome mess, but she didn’t care. Maggie was the living embodiment of a mess. Her hair was greasy and disheveled, and her large shirt was stretched unevenly. Maggie hadn’t even taken the time to put on a bra, or wear pants for that matter given how warm it was. Adding to her discomfort, her breasts were aching, and her bladder was full. Regardless of that, Maggie’s focus was narrowed to the TV monitor across the room.

      Maggie ground her teeth as she leaned forward in the couch. The leather groaned underneath her as she shifted. She felt warm, and had to reset the air conditioning multiple times. Each time she did so, Kyle would challenge her patience by altering it, ever so slightly. Given that he was wearing a sweater, and wrapped in blankets alongside her, he was probably justified. 

      The annoying commercial finally ended, only to give way for a new one. As the new commercial popped on screen, Maggie’s eyes became bloodshot. She recognized the advertisement from the music instantly. 

      “This time on Monster Hunters! We tackle the greatest threat to the human race!” The Australian accent was clearly fake, and the scrawny man on the screen looked like he hadn’t spent a day in a gym in his life. The host was trying to appear manly, but his patchy chest hair looked ridiculous. Meanwhile an entire crew of dedicated stereotypes were behind him, seen exploring the darkest corners of abandoned warehouses, and forgotten asylums.

      “Don’t you say it,” Maggie grumbled. Her nerves were on edge. She couldn’t believe there would be this many ads on the news channel, especially during an actual crisis. 

      The man on the screen continued, “Today we journey into the darkest corners of this parish, isolated in the backwoods of the Appalachian trail. Legend has it, the blood from a thousand victims can be found leaking from the walls on many a full moon!” Flashes of scenes strobed the screen. The images were mainly of the abandoned cottage, with eerie special effects added. “But are the creatures who once resided here still around?”

      “You better not fucking say it…” Maggie’s nails pierced the cup. 

      “Honey, please calm down.” Kyle’s voice was almost a whisper. He sounded genuinely terrified. 

      Maggie disregarded him completely. She was already baring her fangs as the commercial reached it’s headline.

      “Stay tuned for more, as we take on…Hillbilly Vampires!” 

      “F—CK!” Maggie threw the cup at the TV. Its milk shake contents splattered over the plasma screen surface, and coated the back wall. 

      Kyle muffled a sad sigh. During her first pregnancy, he would’ve been on his feet by now and trying to stop her. This time however, he was wise enough to not interfere. 

      Maggie was seething! There was a storm behind her eyes, and if she didn’t have a swollen stomach, the Vampire would’ve flipped the table as well.

      It took several minutes for her to collect herself, and to his credit, Kyle waited to speak out. “Babe, please try to control yourself. Think of the baby!”

      “Think of the baby,” Maggie copied his words sarcastically. “Can you believe this shit? Terrorists are attacking Reby, and they're showing commercials like this!”

      “It’s just a stupid show, I doubt anyone watches.”

      “That’s not the point!” Maggie slammed her fists into the couch. Her heart was screaming in her chest, and she could feel her baby kicking. The sudden pang in her stomach caused her to groan with discomfort. Maggie leaned back into the couch, and placed a hand on her abdomen. It wasn’t until Kyle had leaned in, that the child in her womb ceased.

      The two of them sat there quietly among themselves. The milk shake spattered TV screen flickered, but still worked. It amazed Maggie how her growing child seemed to settle whenever Kyle was nearby. Somehow, that made her jealous. 

      Eventually the commercials ended, although Maggie nearly threw herself at the TV when another Hunting Hillbilly Vampires Ad came on. When the news finally resumed, the mess on the screen created an eerie picture of the Silver Grand Hotel in New Orleans. The lights of emergency services, and police cars, decorated the background as a series of helicopters arrived at the scene. 

      Maggie tried to lean forward again, but failed to notice the silent shadow approaching from behind.

      Without warning, she felt a tiny pair of fangs latch onto her neck. They weren’t sharp enough to break the skin, only to take her by surprise. Evidently, her son had found a way to sneak up behind her, and wanted to show off his teeth. 

      Somehow, Bartholomew had crawled into the living room, and snuck onto the couch without either of his parents noticing. Seeing an opening, the tiny infant vampire launched his surprise attack. 

      Maggie just froze in stupefied silence as her son wrapped his arms around her, and laughed playfully. Even her husband seemed mystified by the sudden attack.

      “Barty, get off you mother.” Kyle wasn’t sure how to react, but he couldn’t help but notice the look on his wife’s face.

      A tear broke from the corner of Maggie’s eyes, “I’m…so proud.” 

      Kyle reached over to pick up their son from her shoulders, but the child only held on even tighter as he tried to lift him. 

      “It’s ok,” Maggie pushed Kyle aside, and gingerly grabbed hold of her son. She held him tightly to her breast, and smiled from his continued laughter. “Who’s my little vampire,” She teased, “Yes you are!” 

      Maggie and Kyle both missed the recent headline, Reports indicate one of the terrorists was thrown from an eleventh story window! Details still ongoing. 

6