Chapter One/Part One: The Desires of The Many
632 2 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter One 

Part One: The Desires of The Many


 It was a metroplex, a concrete jungle filled with towering skyscrapers and light posts lining every street. The air was static. Nothing but complete silence, with not a soul in sight. It was calm. The buildings seemed relatively intact but there were signs of erosion. The time was nearly midnight, and the black background of the sky was only rivaled by the glow of the 3 moons looming above. The largest of the moons was glowing, pearl white, shattered and surrounded by an ethereal glow; with the other 2 moons lining beside it. The moon shone upon the ruined land below with the night sky being so clear you could see the crack that divided it in two. 

  Large plasma based cannons were lined in the streets of the dilapidated city. Each Cannon pointing in the direction of something that was no longer there. It was the wreckage of a battle, yet not a single human body was left behind. All that remained were pools and stains of blood. Yet despite the carnage, the surrounding structures had been left intact, as well as the cannons that laid in between the other towering buildings.

 Just a city block away a small group of people marched through the vacant streets. It was about 10 people wearing bullet proof vests and armed to the teeth with either guns or bladed weapons. They marched in silence, until the person leading the group stopped in his tracks. 

“Halt!!” He shouted as he put his hand out. The troops that were rallied behind him stopped as they were commanded. 

He had short, straight dark green hair styled with an undercut, as well as narrow, intimidating dark grey eyes and a deceptively youthful face. He looked forward into the city streets before them with a concentrated look in his eye. He stopped for a reason. He was sure they sent people ahead of them into confrontation. Yet it was silent. 

“I don’t hear any combat up west...which means either they’ve won or…” He thought to himself, however his thought was interrupted by someone calling to him.

A girl with a curly bob hairstyle came up behind her commanding officer. “Sir Crest, I have news.” she said.

Crest cleared his mind and turned to his subordinate, signalling he was ready to listen with a piercing glare. Where others fear making eye contact with him, the girl seemed unbothered. She was affectionately known as Scout by her companions.

“The Battalions we sent to the south and west..” She glanced at Crest. “Have completely fallen, Sir. We’re the only Abyssus Units remaining.”

He had a deadpan look in his eye and a blank face, but it didn’t do justice to how he was feeling. To be the Captain of the Omega Squad, a team of 100 units now reduced to only 10. 

“Shit.” He grunted, as he began to grit his teeth,” I thought so, Issue a retreat. I’ll take whatever punishment they give me back at base. Tch.”

“If we hurry back, we can maybe get away with no one else in the Omega squad dying.” Ended Crest while looking back at his remaining members. 

Scout nodded her head.”Understood Captain.” 

Crest, without hesitation, turned around and ended their march forward. He gestured to Scout to follow behind him. “Thank you Scout. Let's get going”

She turned to follow behind him. However, on the trail of their departure, something slowly came around the corner of a building. A shiny, shimmering grey-black substance that seems to display the characteristics of solids, liquids and gasses all at once, silently crept towards Crest and Scout as they had their backs turned. It was the entity they were sent out to neutralize. Scout felt the air get heavier around them. She could ever so slightly feel the presence of something glaring at her, and without thinking she looked behind her. Her eyes widened at the sight. Scout's breath became shaky. The next few moments almost went by in slow motion for her, as her eyes jolted towards Crest, who hadn’t the slightest clue of the approaching danger. 

“CREST-“ Scout shouted, acting on impulse, she leapt to push her superior out of harm's way-“Move Sir!!!”

With a heavy thud, she caused Crest to stumble, as he fell, he got one look into her eyes. He saw nothing but fear. 

“Scout!!!” He cried out as he reached towards her, but before he could even react to the situation in a blur he saw Scout get crushed by the anomaly. 

Right in front of him, her blood splattered on his face. He wished he looked away.

51TS9H_fg1yp_aqqprpOnBOofNwD5Cq2PDIZkF6_2fnzg8Dz7qbPwf_R60H23oPr_F9pPS8toS6wvRG4IKc2_8Cxic7XQL8ubvSsAEq0lvwZiDazujy2bN-KZ39Om8SxHCXog-Xk

  Miles away laid a fortress that stretched across the horizon. Every plate of metal that formed the fortress was even and square, as if those who built cherished their craft so much that they were set on perfection. It was known as the Evangelist Federation. A nation surrounded by a hexagonal barrier that encased large empty fields and patches of forest. There wasn’t a sign of human activity. However, each endpoint of the walls had a pocket of a city; with one large metropolis in the center of it all. Each of the 6 outer territories was a city of wide avenues and plenty of places to sit and eat, or to relax as folk went about their day. There were towers that seemed to touch the sky in the centre, which was home to hundreds. In the 5th city was a building that looked a bit like a courtroom, with grand architecture. A meeting was being held. Rows and rows of seats were filled with people in the same type of regal attire, but the clothing wasn’t the only characteristic they all shared. Everyone had some shade of golden hair. The symbol of the Evangelists Leered overhead.

“The Omega squad was completely destroyed!” Said a guy with green earrings, as he slammed his fist on the table,”We sent over 100 units and only a single one returned!”

His name was Cephyr Orion. At first glance, anyone would consider Cephyr to be an utterly unremarkable individual. His face had no notable features. Despite his modestly handsome face, it wasn't particularly attractive or unattractive. He gripped his hands out of frustration. Everyone within the council room began to speak among themselves after his statement.

“We dispatched the Omega squad to handle one Abyssiti. And yet!...Teh!” Cephyr ran his fingers through his messy golden hair. His green eyes had a somewhat desperate look to them.

All of the people in the room fell silent. As each was not only a citizen of the Evangelist Federation, but the leaders of the Nation. They called themselves the Intrinsic, and the performance of their military was concerning.

A girl with dark blue eyes glanced over at Cephyr. There was now a dreary atmosphere among the members, yet in the contemplating silence, she decided to speak up. Her name was Millue Constance 

“Ah! What a wonderful point Cephyr Orion! It’s a sad sight!” She added, while placing her hand on her chest, ”Might I add that Abyssiti attacks are happening far more frequently as of late?”

Her genuine smile didn’t reach her gaze however. 

Despite her gentle appearance, her eyes were full of deceitful intent. Another Intrinsic in the council frowned at that fact.

“At this rate our Nation will be rendered as good as defenseless!” He barked, his voice filled with contempt. 

Cephyr grasps his head out of anxiety. “This is entirely unprecedented!! These humans…” He felt as if he’s reached his limits. “They are all useless! Every single last one of them!”

The Intrinsic from before had something else to add.

“I wholeheartedly agree.” He glanced at the others. “I say we use the units in the enclosure! So they can stop wasting our air and actually do something.”

A guy with long flowing golden hair and a disinterested look on his face yawned. “I say we terminate every human in the Restoration Program.” Ended the Intrinsic with a scoff while casually leaning on one arm. 

There was a long tense pause. That idea alone would cause the death of thousands. Millue’s interest peaked. 

She leaned her face against her hands as her eyes gleamed. Though subtle, she had a malevolent grin on her face.”Oh? How truly unfortunate!” 

“Are you saying if they are destined to die out on the field, it would make no difference?” Pondered Millue while putting her hand to her mouth. 

Cephyr, who has been lost in thought while this exchange was occurring, composed himself. He looked up after hearing the suggestion from the other Intrinsic. He stood up out of his seat with a smile. 

“Why yes Millue Constance!” He exclaimed while making eye contact with her across the Council room.”We’ll terminate all the current units. Then work on developing a new method!” 

“Starting with those worthless bastards in the Enclosures.” Cephyr was relieved to have a course of action, but there was something about it that bothered him.

Just then a loud slamming noise echoed about the Council room. Everyone turned to see a lone girl standing up in protest, both of her hands on the table. She had Slightly darker gold hair unlike any Intrinsic in the room, and passionate gold eyes. 

“Listen! You can’t waste human life!” She barked. 

Cephyr turned to look at her, as she stared at him. He lifted an eyebrow. With the commotion she caused, she had everyone’s attention. 

“Cephyr Orion! May you not be so cruel? What you suggested isn’t a solution to our problem!” She opposed as she sat back down in her seat.

Cephyr gave her a smug look as he placed his hands on his waist. “Why Soleria Illow! Finally deciding to speak up I see-” He waved his hand as though he was presenting something- “I am simply suggesting we fix that which is broken.”

Soleria put her finger up and pointed to herself. “These are people who fight to protect the Intrinsic, like us. Be mindful of that.” She ordered while not breaking eye contact with Cephyr. 

Millue seemed quite entertained by the back and forth that was unfolding before her, as her eyes darted between the two. Cephyr paused after what Soleria told him. His face softened as he was heavily considering it. 

“My word.” He began to run his fingers through his hair. “Soleria Illow. How foolish can you be?” He said with a dumbfounded look on his face. 

Enraged, Cephyr slammed the desk before him once more. “Do you think our Intrinsic ancestors became the last standing Nation in the entire world by being morally sound?!” He shouted. 

He attempted to collect himself. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. “Our nation has only lasted for the past 170 years because we do what others won’t! For the survival of the Intrinsic.” Explained Cephyr through his teeth.

Millue smiled and put her fingers to her mouth. Her deep sea blue eyes pierced Soleria’s soul. “Sometimes sacrifices are needed. I hope you can understand, Illow.” Although she was being apologetic, her tone said otherwise. 

Soleria’s face showed nothing but her pure distraught. She was speechless that they would even consider this plan. And yet.

13