Chapter 8 : A Walk Around Town Pt.2
36 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"So this is the tavern?" Roderick asked as he was wearing a thin scarf as a hood for his head. The group was standing in front of a decent-looking tavern with the name "Delightful Taps".

 

"Yep, this the place we're supposed to go. Let's go inside! Oh, wait!" Errat paused before he turned his head around towards Jack. The small boy was squatting down and drawing lines on the ground - still wearing his scarf around his neck and mouth as usual.

 

"Jackie!"

 

The boy turned his head to see the older man, "Yes, captain Errat?"

 

"Ya hungry? We can always order a portion of their delicious curry~" Errat winked towards the boy with a smile on his face.

 

Jack stood up almost immediately and pumped his fist, "Curry?! Yes please!!" He exclaimed, earning himself a ruffle on his hair.

 

"Good! Then we can have lunch here." The man then looked at Roderick, who was still staring at the tavern's name on the sign above the entrance, "Wanna get something for yerself, Rody?"

 

Roderick shook his head, "We're here for your client's request, right? Best not to make them wait." He said before crossing his arms and glanced at the giant beside him.

 

His head could only be on par with the captain's chin. It wasn't something that Roderick find pleasant - it added more to how irritating the captain was.

 

Errat put his hand on his chin and hummed, "Yeah, yer probably right. But still, gotta order some food for the kid."

 

"Your cooking is as bad as usual, cap. Would be nice to get some good, fulfilling meal on the trip." One of the crew teased as his fellow crew member joined in on the laughter.

 

"Oi, my cooking's not that bad..." He then shot a hopeful look towards Roderick, "...Right, Rody?" His Amber eyes shone in plead as he waited for the other man's answer.

 

"...It's terrible. The rice's undercooked, the chicken wasn't cooked through, honestly, Curtis should have joined us. We've only eaten fresh fruits from the ship for the last two days because none of us know how to cook." Roderick bluntly criticized with a flat tone.

 

Errat could feel his heart shattering from the harsh comment and sulked, "Hah... And here I thought that I could at least fix up a meal for y'all. Let's get inside before the guards notice us." He said before walking up the stairs and entered the tavern.

 

"Curry, here we come!" Jack threw his arms in the air before trailing behind the sulking captain inside. So does the rest of the group besides Roderick.

 

Roderick sighed before he followed the others inside of the building. Once he's inside, there was a piece of soothing music playing from the gram|ophone beside the counter. It was like any ordinary pub, wooden seats, kegs of booze, some pots of plants he's not usually familiar with.

 

"Curry! Curry!" Jack chanted as he clung to Errat's trouser with a happy smile on his face. Errat chuckled before ruffling the boy's hair, "Hold on just a bit, Jackie."

 

The man then subtly looked at an elderly woman who's cleaning the top of the counter with a damp cloth. Errat smiled before clearing his throat to catch the old lady's attention - which worked like a charm.

 

"Ah, customers. What would you like to order? Or perhaps you're weary from your journey and want to rent a room for the night?" The elderly woman smiled gently at the captain as she spoke those words.

 

Errat hummed as he removed the hood covering his head and chuckled, "Thanks for the offer, but a raven told me that prying eyes are around this place. Perhaps a storm might do the trick to scare them away." He recited perfectly.

 

Roderick was rather puzzled by what he was seeing. An old lady that didn't look any menacing to anyone. And most of all, that the leader of the group had spoken some sort of idiotic reply as an answer, "Just order curry for the kid, damn it." was what the not-so-stowaway was thinking.

 

The old lady hummed as she reached for something under the counter. She then placed a paper with unknown scribbles on top of the counter and smiled at the man, "Errat, it's nice to see the captain coming here himself. And you still use that code even though I would have recognized you by your hair."

 

Roderick raised his brows, "Oh... So it's like that. But does he usually stay in the ship instead of coming here?" He thought.

 

Errat laughed, "Well, the code is mandatory for us in the underground world. Secrecy is of the utmost importance, so what's the catch? Any shimmers that we need to snatch?" He asked as he leaned forward and rest his arms on the counter.

 

"It's not that request, that might be another time." The old lady said as Errat picked up the piece of paper and saw the scribbles written on it.

 

Roderick was rather curious and decided to come closer towards Errat's side. As he was peeking over the lad's shoulder, Errat hummed and nodded his head, "Ukana ukali, another escort request then. Who are we gonna take?"

 

"A band of hired assassins send to end the prime minister's life. You are to escort them to Placia safely at night. They know a shortcut, but it's filled with monsters." Roderick balled his left fist as he heard the last word from the old woman.

 

Errat hummed, "I'll accept it, just tell us where to find 'em and we're sure to fulfill our duty." He replied as he scrunched up the paper and shoved it inside of his pocket.

 

A tug then landed on the man's trouser, "Don't forget to order curry, captain Errat!" Jack exclaimed as he narrowed his eyes at the man.

 

Errat burst out a peal of laughter, "Right, right! One curry for the little man!"

 

"One Fish and Chips!"

 

"One Fried Rice!"

 

The old woman then turned her head towards Roderick, "And you?"

 

All eyes were on him as he crossed his arms as he looked back at the one who asked the question. He then looked at Jack for a brief moment before he answered, "Whatever the kid's ordering, and add a glass of booze to that as well." He replied.

 

"And the usual for me, ma'am!" Errat added as he lightly grinned at the elderly woman.

 

She nodded, "Your food and drink will take only a moment to prepare. Please be seated while you wait." The woman motioned for the group to loosen up themselves.

 

Jack climbed up the high stool and extended his arms on the counter. While the two other crew members sat on one of the tables of the tavern. While Roderick quietly moves to sit next to the small boy.

 

Errat chuckled as he walked over and patted Roderick on the shoulder, "Best to fill your stomach before we go and do what they asked of us tonight. It's gonna be a long one."

 

"...You don't seem pressured, do you usually escort people like... that client of yours?" Roderick asked as he prised off Errat's hand from his shoulder. The said man then took a seat beside him and nodded.

 

"If not that, we're just gonna steal some riches from... well ya know, the rich themselves."

 

"...What about assassination?"

 

"...We don't do that here, it's part of our creed." Errat looked at Roderick with his arms on top of the counter, "Take the life of a human's and yer off the ship. That's how it's always been for us."

 

"Here you go, one Raspberry's liquor for you." The old woman returned with a glass of red, fizzy drink in her hand before placing it in front of Roderick.

 

Roderick nodded and hummed as a reply, not spilling any more words as a reply. He then turned to look at Errat as he grabbed the handle of his drink, "...And was that creed declared by the previous captain?"

Just then, a sudden change of atmosphere was upon the tavern. It felt like the warmth within the space had suddenly vanished. Roderick felt that some eyes were on him, glares that internally shouted at him to shut his mouth.

 

Errat paused for a moment, there was a glint of agitation on his face for a brief moment. He then smiled towards Roderick and chuckled, "Yep! That's how our creed was born... But how did ya know about the previous captain?" He asked while there was a curious look on his face - one that was laced with hope.

 

"I just heard some people talking about him back at the port... Just that." Roderick awkwardly replied as he took a sip of his drink.

 

"Ah, I see then..."

 

Roderick lowered his drink and exhaled, "Since you're not prying into my personal business, I won't be prying into yours. Call it an even exchange." He added as he looked down at the red drink on the transparent glass.

 

Those words brought a smile to Errat's face and the man chuckled yet again, "Touche, and how's the drink? To yer liking?"

 

Roderick simply hummed as a reply as he took another sip before putting the glass down, "...It's surprisingly good..."

3