Chapter 17 : The One For Him
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Here you go, little sea star~" Errat said as he handed the handmade book to Vivian.

 

The young girl gasped as she grabbed the book and jumped gleefully on the spot, “Another book! Yes! Yes! Yes!!” She squealed as her arms embraced the book. Making Errat smile from ear to ear at seeing his niece being joyful.

 

Vivian then jumped towards the squatting adult and hugged him tight, “Thank you so much, uncle! I love it so, so much!!”

 

Errat returned the hug and placed a kiss on top of her head, “Anything for my little sea star. I will travel between land and ocean, storms and blizzards, the scorching sun and the dreadful snowstorm to come back to you.”

 

The young girl giggled at her uncle’s response as Roderick and Clera watched from afar at the interaction. The latter smiled warmly at her daughter and younger brother-in-law enjoying each other’s presence.

 

“My, my, it’s the happiest I have seen Vivi these past several days.” Clera chuckled.

 

Roderick, who was wearing his nightwear, turned his head to look at the woman, “Is that so? How come?”

 

“She was worried that something might have happened to Errat, since he usually sends her letters to ask about her well-being and other things. Vivian cherishes those letters with her life, and she wouldn’t be able to calm herself down when she doesn’t get any.” Clera explained as she leaned her back against the wall.

 

“She doesn’t really have that many friends who are as adventurous as her. She’s rather independent despite being a seven-year-old.” The woman added as she watched her daughter pulling out her old book and giving it to Errat so that the older individual could read it.

 

Roderick watched as the two family members shared a moment of warmth and love with each other. Making him recall the time when he used to have the same thing. His fingers subconsciously caressed the pendant in a shape of a flower hanging on the sheath of his dagger.

 

“And I found a wild Buckle berry tree earlier by the lakeside today, uncle! Isn’t that amazing?! The book I read only said that they would grow in areas that have a warm climate! I drew the tree here, see?” Vivian excitedly shows Errat the neat picture she had drawn of the said plant.

 

Errat smiled as he gazed at the drawing his niece had made, while he also looked at the notes and scribbles alongside it, “Wow, ya really have improved more the last time I saw yer drawing, sea star! Great job!” He reached one of his hands to ruffle the young girl’s hair.

 

Vivian giggled, “That tickles, uncle!”

 

Roderick quietly watched before he glanced at Clera, “So, you’re his sister-in-law, right?”

 

“Yeah, older sister-in-law to be exact~ I’m a few years older than him,” Clera replied.

 

“...He has an older brother, I assume?” Roderick asked

 

Clera wryly smiled as she nodded, “Had an older brother…”

 

Roderick raised his brows, “Oh… My apologies, I don’t mean to be rude.”

 

“It’s fine, you’re not being rude. I’m just stating a reality that me and my family have accepted a long time ago.” Clera waved her hand at the man in front of her. She then turned to look at her daughter, “I sometimes felt pity for my own little Vivi. She has been fatherless ever since she was a few days old. But then, Errat decided to be in his late brother’s shoes to be Vivian’s father figure.”

 

“...”

 

“Every six months, he comes back here to check on Vivian. Seeing how she’s doing, and watching her grow up. There was a time where he would visit each month when she was still younger. But as the years went by, it became that.” Clera added.

 

Roderick nodded in silence as he listened through the woman’s story, “...But someone has to look after his idiotic self. He was so compassionate that he forgot to even care for himself. If he has her to fight for, he shouldn’t be so reckless. Especially since he’s that important to some people...” His heart thumped at the last sentence.

 

Clera giggled, “Ahh… Errat has been that way since the dawn of time. He and Andreas had always been two peas in a pod.”

 

“Who’s that?”

 

“...My late husband… Errat’s older brother.”

 

“I see, my deep condolences, ma’am” Roderick bowed his head towards her.

 

Clera chuckled and bowed her head in return, “Thank you, Roderick. But you can just call me Clera. There’s no need for such formalities here.”

 

“R-Right...”

 

“Hey, Rody!” Errat called out towards the man.

 

Roderick jerked his head towards the captain, “Yeah?”

 

“How bout we go around the town so you can get used to it? We’re staying here for at least a month or two at that. Owen would probably join us since he’s never been here before.” Roderick’s brows twitched at that sentence, “And let’s bring Jack with us too, since he enjoys yer company so much~” Errat smirked at his fellow crew member.

 

“Can I come too, uncle?! Please? Pretty please?~” Vivian clapped her hand together and showed a pleading look towards her uncle. Errat snickered as he nuzzled his nose against the little girl’s.

 

“Of course ya can! I wanted to spend time with my little sea star after all~”

 

Vivian threw her fists into the air and squealed, “Yess!!”

 

“Then if you want to get prepared for tomorrow, you should sleep early then. You had a long tiring day, after all, Vivi.” Clera added as she approached her younger brother who was holding her daughter.

 

Vivian pouted, “But mom… I’m not tired yet. I still want to play with uncle...”

 

“Now, now, little sea star. Your pops wouldn’t like it when he heard you disobeying your dear mother’s words from up there.” Errat said in a bubbly tone as he pointed his finger upwards.

 

“Mnhh…” Vivian then glanced at Roderick, looking as if she was looking for someone to back her up. The man noticed the pleading stare and was trying his best not to interfere with family affairs.

 

“...”

 

Errat glanced at Roderick and gave him a cheeky smile, “Then how bout having Rody here read one of your books till you shut yer eyes closed?~” He pointed towards his close friend.

 

Roderick glared daggers at him for having the captain suggest such things. The look on his face only says, ”What the fuck are you doing?!”

 

“Hmmm, okay!” Vivian suddenly agreed, much to Roderick’s expectations. She then motioned for her uncle to lower her down and so her feet were once more touching the ground. The young girl then ran up towards Roderick and grabbed his wrist before pulling him towards the stairs, “Come on, Mister Rody! I want to hear how you tell bedtime stories!”

 

Roderick could only let out a sigh, wondering why he was at the center of the spotlight for children around him. Was it because of his knowledge to rear and entertain children? Or was it because he had a child magnet within himself? Either way, he couldn’t say no to Vivian.

 

After all, she reminds him of someone in his distant memory, ”That smile of hers… It’s exactly like hers...” Roderick thought as he was being dragged upstairs.

 

And so, all that was left were the two family members downstairs. Both Errat and Clera let out a burst of laughter, “She sure is enthusiastic~” The former smiled wide as he crossed his arms.

 

His older sister then smirked as she nudged his arm, “Don’t tell me that you’re trying to see if Vivi takes a liking to him.”

 

“Heh, caught me red-handed~” Errat lifted his hands and chuckled.

 

Clera scoffed, “I knew it! When are you planning to make it real then? Don’t let it brew inside of you for too long before it hurts~”

 

“I know, I’m just not sure if he’s gonna be mutual bout it.”

 

Clera giggled, “If Andreas sees you being a scaredy-cat like this, he would actually put a boot on your buttocks.”

 

“And telling me to man up. Heh… It’s what he always says,” Errat lets out a sigh and looks at the family portraits hanging on the wall.

 

His eyes went to one figure who had long black hair and brown eyes smiling while he was standing next to a younger version of The current captain of the fleet. While Clera sat next to them while holding her swollen stomach.

 

There was a look of lament laced around Errat's face as his lips curled into a bittersweet smile.

 

“...Long time no see, brother...”

0