Chapter 182. Plan’s Change
932 4 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After showing up for our internship, Jin and I made our way further into the newly established company. There were still people hauling copy machines, and large office furniture higher into the large building. We were directed towards the locker rooms, and told to meet up at Woods’ office after we had dressed in our costumes. Jin quickly got into his hero costume while mine took more time. Giving Jin time to admire himself in the mirror when he thought I wasn’t looking. I smirked at his childish attitude, but had to admit I sometimes liked catching my own reflection from time to time in my outfit.

 

“Ready?” I asked after lacing up my boots. Jin quickly nodded, and we both made our way to Woods’ office. There was a secretary just outside his door, and the moment she saw us she smiled and nodded before pressing the intercom on her desk. “Your internships are here.” “Let them in.” She pushed another button, causing a loud buzzing sound as the door became ajar. I nodded at her as thanks and let myself in, Jin following close behind.

 

I saw a mostly empty office, only becoming more painfully noticeable with how large his singular office was. Woods’ was sitting at his large desk, the row of room sized windows behind him, making him almost appear as only a silhouette. “Welcome students. I appreciate your choice when it comes to learning the ropes of being a Hero in the real world.” “Thank you for giving us this great opportunity to study under your tutelage.” I answered back for both Jin and I, and with that, our pleasantries were over. “Let us begin with showcasing the work that I do when out on patrol.” He said while standing from his desk, leading the way out for us as we followed silently. 

 

Going outside on patrol again felt odd. The whole time I was doing it, I was just recalling all the information I remembered about Eri, and her imprisonment. Trying to think of any small detail that could help rescue her. The most tiring thing was pretending I was listening and paying attention to our lessons. Luckily Jin was writing down the cliff notes I could study later.

 

After we were done on our patrol, I bumped into someone heavily dressed, covering most, if not all of their body. “Sorry?” I apologized confusedly while they kept walking along. While strange, I was already lagging behind Jin and Woods, so I quickly jogged back to catch up with them.

 

“Be sure to always know what you stand for while in the public eye. Every minute you are out on the streets, you are being scrutinized. That being said, good work today. Even if we didn’t see any ‘action’, just being in the community is a part of the job as well. See you tomorrow.” Woods nodded as he went back towards his office, leaving Jin and I to get changed and back to school grounds. 

 

Inside the locker room, as we were getting changed, I felt something in my overcoat’s pocket. Taking it out, I saw it was a piece of paper with a stone alongside it. I probably wouldn’t have even noticed the paper without the stone. I didn’t even notice it until I was changing. With a raised brow I quietly unfolded the paper, and read the scribbled note. I instantly recognized my handwriting, and knew who this was from. Reading the note, I scoffed at my own crypticness, but understood why considering how small the paper was.

 

While Jin and I were heading back, I suggested we get some snacks since we still had some time left before curfew. “Didn’t you… Give your wallet?” Jin asked the best he could. I shook my head with a smile. “No, I got my wallet right here.” I said while playfully dangling my wallet in front of his face. “What kind of snack do you like anyway? You like Pocky?” Jin nodded silently as we headed into the store. As soon as we went inside I smirked at all the kinds of treats they had. Including that weird bitter tasting pink popcorn stuff Mina liked. ‘Make sure to get some of that.’ I thought with a smirk.

 

“Oh, hey! Can you hold my costume for a sec? I gotta go.” I held out my briefcase to Jin while pointing to the bathroom in the back. Jin nodded, but I could tell he felt a little awkward being here on his own. Especially while covering his face, it tended to garner side-long looks, especially from store owners. As soon as Jin grabbed my case, I darted to the bathroom. “Thanks, I’ll be right back.” I said before heading inside. The smell of urinal cakes and disinfectant filled the air as I glanced around the empty tiled floors.

 

I loudly cleared my throat, and the moment I did, the last stall clicked as it unlocked itself. I made my way there, and got inside to see the same heavily clothed person that ran into me on my patrol. “What are you wearing?” I asked while he quickly undressed the large dark green overcoat, and face mask. “Oh shut up, it’s what I could get for cheap. Now I need your help on something.” He continued, pulling out a map of the city from his pocket, red marked portions circled and X’d out, drawn and scribbled over. Truly he had been moving around as fast as he could, I noticed his breath was a bit haggard, sparks crackling from his hair. 

 

“I can’t use more power, I’m out of juice, so I need you to go here for the night, just in case something happens.” He spoke seriously, and the memories of how she was taken back in after coming so close to freedom in Deku’s arms left me on edge as well. I didn’t know if I had already changed enough to not even let her almost escape, or worse. ‘I can’t tell anyone unless I have evidence of something…’

 

I sighed while giving him my wallet, while he gave me his oversized jacket and face mask. “You’re buying some snacks for ourselves and the girls. Make sure to get Jin some Pocky, and Mina that weird pink popcorn bitter stuff.” He scoffed at me, nodding with reassurance, before leaving the stall first. I sighed again, anxious if I was doing the right thing or not. I took out the map the other me made, and checked the circled portion. Except there were two. They were marked 1 and 2. I groaned at myself. ‘Why didn’t you label it? Is there a key to this map somewhere?’

 

I finally gave up, and decided to go to the first marked place. I left the store, under the watchful gaze of the store owner, and made my way down the streets towards this mystery place. A quick walk later, and I was let off fairly close to the marked place. As I glanced around, a sign suddenly illuminated itself in the cool dusk air, catching my attention. It was a Motel. I quickly felt around in my pockets and discovered a room key labeled 109. “Hmm…” I wondered why the other me felt the need to tell me to go here first, but I trusted myself enough to follow his directions. Perhaps he was expecting me to have a place to stay while I staked out... Stake outed? Watched over Overhaul's operation for more evidence to anonymously give to the police.

Unlocking the door, I took a breath to calm myself, before a small, singular horned girl sleeping under the covers of the bed caught my eye, instantly removing any sense of relief I had. “Oh… What have I done?”

23