ARC 7-Cursed Fates-55
775 3 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If you're enjoying the story, don't be shy in the comments and consider leaving a rating/review.

Want to read exclusive content and advanced chapters? Join my Patreon!

Join our Discord to chat about the story!

While the servants see to the guests and get them out of the house, not our house anymore, dammit, I take a very much needed bath. My body is a little sore, a testament to how, er, demanding last night was, and I’m covered in all manners of dried fluid. Not to mention I reek of sex. I scrub myself vigorously before soaking in a scented bath, using my last moments of peace to fortify my mind and steel my resolve.

An hour later, I’m ready to face the problems our night of revelry held at bay. When I return downstairs, I find the house is busy, everyone preparing for our exodus from the Grand Hall. Including a few guests I expected to be gone.

“Ah, honored sister.” Cloud looks up from dismantling the small stage in the welcoming room, smiling at me. She’s clean but dressed in yesterday’s clothes and still smells of our activities. “I hope you do not mind. After your efforts to…entertain us…” She shivers in delight, shaking her head to dispel the no doubt lascivious thoughts. “It would be disgraceful to leave without giving something back.”

As she’s talking, Shake enters the room carrying a wooden crate filled with glasses. She sets it next to a growing pile of boxes before facing me. “As my sister said.” She stomps over to me, gaze intense. Saints, I can still smell myself on her. “I hope you will allow us to assist you in your troubles.”

“Of course. I appreciate it.”

“You have given of yourself. It is the way of the Temple to return what is given, for good or ill. The Hall may have no place for you but the Temple, and the Sanctuary we call home, does.” She steps closer, using every bit of her impressive height to full effect as she lowers her voice. “And even if they do not, there is always a place for you in my tent.”

“Oh, uh.” I swallow as I absorb the heavy promise in her voice. Guess I made an impression, heh. “Thanks. I’ll remember.”

“Do.” She steps back and heads for the kitchen. Cloud waves and returns to her own task. I decide to leave them to it. We can use the help and it makes me smile, most of my lonely thoughts dispelled by the show of support.

I search for my cousin and find Jac, Junior, and Fen in the garden, sitting at a table with what remains of their breakfast between them. “Good morning,” I call out as I take an empty seat, grinning at the way Junior winces. If I had to guess, I’d say he had too much to drink and, unfortunately, his succubus isn’t going to wave the pain away.

Jac, on the other hand, looks chipper. Her light brown skin has a healthy glow and her eyes are bright as she smiles at me. “Morning, cousin.”

“Someone’s in a good mood. Oh. Morning, Nomad.”

My servant dips his head in greeting as he appears with a plate of food, setting it in front of me. Saints bless the poor man with a hint of vitality, he looks ghastly in the revealing light of the sun, the bags under his eyes appearing darker and his chalk white skin even paler. He doesn’t even bother to leave behind a cryptic message before slinking away. I didn’t think twice about ordering him to work during the time he would normally be asleep, knowing how effective Geneva’s liquid pick me up is, but seeing his miserable state, I’m rethinking my decision. I know he always looks like he’s so tired he could die but still. Anyone who catches a glimpse of him would take me for a monster that works her servants to the bone. I’m thinking of myself that way, despite knowing better.

“It was a great party. You know the half-elf that brewed those incredible wines? Of course you do, he was your guest. That man can make a fortune with his craft. And I can’t believe you know the owner of the Bluebird Beauty company.”

“Who?”

“Cynthia Oriole? The alchemist known by every noblewoman in Harvest?”

“Ah.” Guess she’s famous.

Jac shakes her head. “I swear, Lou…no, never mind. Whatever you’re doing, it’s working for you, so I won’t say anything.”

“Well, it’s working for the most part. There are a few problems.”

“Like being kicked out of your house?” Junior grumbles. He scoffs when I turn to him with a questioning gaze. “You think we didn’t ask why the servants are packing everything up?”

“I wasn’t going to, but it was kind of hard to ignore the sobbing gardener,” Jac admits, looking slightly guilty.

I wave off her concern. “It’s not like I’m trying to hide it. I’m a wanted woman so the Hall can’t condone my presence at the school. It’s a temporary problem. Once the lord rescinds the order of detainment, I’ll be free to resume my studies.”

“Yeah?” Junior grunts. “Good luck. You’re in violation of the king’s decree against succubi. Guess copying my family legacy hasn’t worked out for you.”

“Worked out a lot better for me than for you.” Fen lays a hand on his head, reiterating my point. “And I’d have thought you of all people would know how this works. Laws don’t apply to those of sufficient power. Once I make it clear that antagonizing me isn’t worth the trouble, the king will leave me alone unless I start murdering peasants in the middle of a capital market.”

“Spoken like a true Grimoire,” he says, his sneer broken a moment later by a wince as Fen smacks the back of his head, clicking her tongue like a disappointed mother correcting a particularly stupid child that doesn’t learn no matter how many times she tries to teach him.

“You’re lucky she slapped you or I would have. But never mind you.” I turn to Jac. “As you can see, there’s a lot going on around here. Which is why you’re first. I’m sure you came to see me for a reason and I don’t want you getting lost in the chaos.” I pop a slice of fruit in my mouth and chew it with relish. It’s from Kierra’s garden. I can tell from the wave of sweetness that washes over my tongue. That elf just has to excel, no matter what she does. “Come, cousin. Tell me what ails you.”

Jac rolls her eyes, but her expression quickly sobers. “I hate to do this when you’ve got so much on your plate, but things aren’t good with the family. You know about the bans. You might not know that our fathers joined a group of independent summoners to do something about it.”

“I know. Uncle Jackal wrote to me. No details but I get the gist.” They had the same idea as me. “Summon something annoying, prove that summoners aren’t easy prey, and get the crown to back off.”

“Mm. I don’t have many details, but something went wrong. Lou…your father’s missing.”

 

54