Arc 4-Royal Pains-Part 24
5k 8 237
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Manaday, right after Mano dismisses us, I spot Fina lurking at the edge of the field. I can feel her eyes on me as Geneva helps me to my feet but she looks away when I look over.

“A friend of yours?” Alana asks, coming to stand next to me. “I feel like I’ve seen her before.”

“You have. She was standing beside the noblewoman when Prince Samuel was verbally bludgeoning me.”

“…what are you doing, Lou?”

“Making friends. Come on.” I grab her by the arm and pull her along as I walk over to Fina. The girl’s nervousness intensifies with an extra person to address, her feet shuffling and fingers twisting. It’s kind of cute. Didn’t think I went for the shy type but, well.

[You should be careful], Geneva’s voice echoes through my mind. [This one’s demeanor is hiding a substantially developed water affinity. By the smell of her, I’d say she is very close to being a higher adept.]

It takes all my self-control to restrain my reaction to a twitch of my brows. I stare at Fina critically. Higher adept. One level below the highest-level master casters, a minimum coefficient of 350. Not only that, higher adept implies a certain mastery over an element. Like how, ugh I’m disgusted just thinking about him, that bald bastard Aurelius can control the wind with such precision that he can walk on air.

She doesn’t look like someone who can drown a city with a single spell. She doesn’t look like she could hurt a fly. Saints, the Rosefield family must care a great deal about Cecilia and her connection to Prince Samuel. At least that’s why I hope they have this hidden weapon tucked away at the Hall.

“Hello, Fina. I assume you’re here for me.”

“Yes, Lady Tome.” She bows her head. “My mistress has invited you to dine with her today at the Gold Dorm. She wanted to pass on her assurances that it will be a harmonious meal.”

Harmonious is good. “I would be happy to accept.”

“I’m coming too,” Alana declares. She gives me a hard look when I turn to her. “You shouldn’t deal with them alone. Good intentions or otherwise.”

Gah, my heart! Slow down.

I make a show of swooning, Geneva promptly stepping forward to keep me upright. Alana snorts and rolls her eyes but Fina giggles at my dramatics. Worth it.

“What do you think?” I ask, straightening up. “Is there room at the table for another?”

“Even if there isn’t, I’m coming.”

“Stop it, you.” I lightly slap her shoulder with the back of my hand. “Wouldn’t want to infringe on anyone’s hospitality.”

“I apologize. I cannot speak for my mistress. I will bring her reply as soon as possible.”

“Hold on a second.” My words make her raise her bowed head. “No need to scurry off so quickly. You can walk with us for a bit, can’t you? There are a few things I want to ask you.”

“…as you like, Lady Tome.”

Hey, Geneva. Did she accept because of my charm or because she wants to keep an eye on me?

[The latter of course, Lou.] What do you mean ‘of course’? [You are an unknown element and a potential threat to her mistress. The girl is a bit flighty but she takes her role as a guard dog quite seriously. I would like to accompany you for a while.]

Aw, you’re worried about me?

[Yes. Predators guard their dinner quite viciously.]

…I swear I don’t discipline you enough.

I shake my head to clear my thoughts of our mental conversation, focusing on Fina as we walk to the Foundation fields. “So, Fina. How long have you worked for Lady Rosefield?”

“I have served the mistress since the age of five.”

Mm. I could also take that to mean she must have been trained during that time too. It’d take at least that amount of time to get a young girl like this close to higher adept, not to mention an incredible amount of talent. “Well, you got quite lucky. Not many have the opportunity to attend the Hall. Does Lady Rosefield allow you to take lessons?”

“I only attend to serve her while she studies.”

“That’s a pity. Many have made their legend here. To serve the Rosefields, I’d imagine you are someone of talent yourself.”

[She is getting suspicious of you, Lou.]

Damn. Impossible to tell with her face hidden behind her hair. “Ah, well. Perhaps I might speak on your behalf. There is nothing better than seeing a woman blossom and something tells me you’re full of potential.”

[Mm. That was sufficient to make her think you are flirting. She’s flattered but you are not her type.]

Yeah? What is her type?

[A pretty boy dressed in tight pants atop a white steed with a gleaming smile. A prince to swoop her out of her mundane life and carry her to his castle to marry his princess.]

Hm. Like…Marcus? The second part doesn’t apply but the first… “Do you get along with your mistress’ friends? This might be a bit insensitive but it must be difficult for someone of your position to be around such…strong personalities every day.”

“Mistress and His Highness are both of impeccable character.”

“Yes, but you can’t speak openly with them, can you? I want you to know, you have no such worries with me. I’d say drop the titles but that might be stretching your sensibilities too much. And it’d hardly reflect well on your mistress if her maid was seen breaking etiquette.”

She looks up at me. “Thank you for your concern. I am not without friends though. Marcus is Prince’s Samuel’s manservant. We get along fine.”

“Circumstance is a fine starter of friendships.”

[Excellent job, my summoner.]

Hehe. Now that her mind is turned to Marcus, Geneva can freely mine her for information. My job is to keep her there. “I remember him well. Nearly as aggressive as the prince. He must be very protective of him, an admirable quality in a manservant I suppose.”

“They are very close. Marcus sees him as a brother and Prince Samuel holds him in the fondest confidence.” She lets out a little sigh at the end. A regretful sigh.

[Not a circumstance she can relate to with her own mistress.]

Ah. Have to bring her back to Marcus. “Ah, well. Perhaps you could ask your comrade for some advice, hm? A dashing young man like him would happily save a damsel in distress.”

Hehe. I can see her blushing as her whole face goes red.

[A fatal blow.]

You sound like you’re enjoying this too much. “Haha, you can ignore me. I’m just a girl who loves love. This was supposed to be my rose-colored debut at the Hall and yet I have to deal with the unfair attentions of my ‘betters’. Dodging a bunch of egos makes it difficult to pursue the talented beauties here.” I let out a deep sigh. “Hopefully when this terrible misunderstanding is cleared, I will get to see the prince’s impeccable character.”

[I have everything that I can retrieve, I believe.]

I casually put a hand on Fina’s shoulder. Have to admit, it’s a little amusing when she jumps at the contact. “As much as I want us to be friends, I can see I’m pushing you a little. Go on, get going.” I let her go. “I’ll thaw that caution of yours another day.”

“…then I’ll take my leave.”

I watch as she hurries away. Conclusion, Geneva?

[A pure of heart, completely indentured, very talented, young caster. She has no connection to the plot and no knowledge of it. However, Marcus frequently speaks with her while their masters are busy. She believes it is on behalf of the prince that wants to be closer to Cecilia but perhaps not.]

I’d bet my dinner there is an ulterior motive behind it. Poor Fina, being used as a pawn and not even knowing it. Marcus, I had nothing against you before this, hell, actually sympathized with the want to see that annoying royal dead, but you’ve crossed a line. If the prince dies, an investigation would be launched. Complicit or not, if Fina had any involvement, she will be punished. Innocent lamb sacrificed for someone else’s ego.

That really gets on my nerves.

“I didn’t think she was your type,” Alana says.

“Jealous?”

“No.”

“Wow. You could play along a little. Way to trample all over my heart.”

“I’m sure your wife will be happy to piece it back together. Don’t get that girl involved in anything. Those people will chew her up and throw her out like trash.”

She’s aware of the same truths I am. But I’m a bit offended. “You think I would?” I ask, giving her a look.

“…no.”

“Good. Don’t worry. I’m the good guy in this whole mess.”

“I believe you but somehow that still doesn’t sound right.”

 

237