Miniarc-Mentors 2
4.9k 10 168
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The carriage came to a stop. Geneva disembarked and held out a hand. Orphelia reluctantly allowed the succubus to help her to the ground and looked around. She recognized the Grand Market. At the early hour, the roads were empty and the shops were closed, the buildings quiet shadows of their usual selves without the boisterous advertising trying to entice people into their shops and the inactive enchanted signs.

Judging from the sign depicting a chair and the furniture she could see through the glass windows, Orphelia guessed they had stopped at a carpenter’s shop with a specialty in home furnishings. She had no idea how expertly crafted chairs fit into political domination but the lingering dread from the conversation she couldn’t remember stopped any doubts from forming.

Geneva moved around to the back of the carriage, opening a small trunk attached to it and pulling out a thick book. She motioned for Orphelia to follow as she went around to the side of the building, where a smaller entrance was located. The succubus cheerily knocked on the door and it was swiftly opened.

A young man with dark hair and cautious eyes stood in the doorway. His gaze briefly went to her before he opened the door wider, allowing them into the store. He led them to the showroom and gestured toward the many chairs. “Everyone’s asleep but we should still keep it brief.”

“I understand.”

It was a struggle for Orphelia to keep her expression controlled as Geneva reverted to a demure thrall, smiling softly and looking up at the young man through her lashes. She extended the book and he took it with greedy hands.

“That is a record of a summoning for Vanity King. He is well-known for his pride and travels the realms in search of new worshipers. It may sound distasteful but because of his temperament, he is known for forming contracts with those significantly weaker than himself and he will be pleased by a group following.”

The young man nodded. “How strong is he?”

“His coefficient is rather weak at a mere three hundred but that plays into your favor, as it lessens the mana needed to bind him. However, his true power lies in his physical prowess. He has a hide that can deflect any weapon and his claws can cut through metal. I am confident in saying he can rival any master caster of the Hall. Most importantly, he has a natural defense against mana intrusion, which shields him against the mental affinity.”

“Excellent. With this…” He once again looked at Orphelia, this time his lips turning down. “I was so excited I forgot introductions. Callan Atkinson, apprentice carpenter.” He stuck out his hand, eyes full of expectation.

[Time to play the game, Orphie. Ignore his hand and do not introduce yourself. Belittle him. This is a meeting you attended on a whim but you have no patience for a man who speaks above his station.]

Orphelia adopted the role, arranging her features into a sneer. “I don’t care who you are.” Turning her head with an exaggerated sniff, she faced the succubus. “Why am I skulking about this tiny shop when I should be in bed?” she asked, channeling her inner snob.

[A little less privilege, a little more authority.]

She adjusted her sneer from demeaning to displeased.

“I apologize for the early hour.” Geneva bowed her head. “Callan, she is someone who can help us. She’s been looking into Lou as well.”

What are you playing at?

[You’ve been looking into her for misuse of the mental affinity. There have been allegations that she is magically charming women into her bed but there is no evidence.]

“Is that true?” Callan asked.

“The Hall is aware of Lourianne Tome. There have been…unsubstantiated accusations about her use of her thrall.” She threw Geneva a pointed glare. “A few have claimed that she has been misusing the mental affinity to magically charm women into her bed.”

The carpenter perked up. “If you know that much, why hasn’t she been detained?”

[You can see it, can’t you? The jealously. The envy.]

“Are you hard of hearing? They are unsubstantiated claims. Most of the people throwing around these accusations are jealous boyfriends or pursuers who have had their sweethearts stolen. People can and have made up malicious rumors out of envy for another’s success. Someone’s word is not enough to sentence someone to death, the only punishment for such a crime.”

“But it isn’t someone’s word! Her—” Callan checked his volume and took a deep breath. Then he spoke through clenched teeth. “Her own elemental is here.”

[I am rather untrustworthy.]

“Yes. A succubus, a creature known for its ability and inclination for twisting men and circumstances, is here. One who either refuses or cannot testify against her summoner. Not enough, Mr. Atkinson. Not nearly enough.”

“The Hall has mental casters. They can find the proof.”

“Not only hard of hearing but daft as well. One does not casually use the mental affinity, not even the Hall. I cannot simply wave a hand and have someone raid her mind.”

“So, she’s free to continue preying on citizens of the kingdom,” he said, features a mask of disgust. “I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised. She’s a noble. They aren’t bound by the same rules as everyone else.”

“If you’re going to waste my time, I’ll leave.”

“Callan, please.” Geneva laid a hand on the young man’s arm and he visibly relaxed. “She isn’t the one responsible for the problems in the kingdom. It’s good enough that she is here.”

“…I suppose. If she actually plans on doing something.”

“Geo has hinted that you plan to confront Lourianne Tome. That true?”

“Yes.”

“Then I am here to remind you that the Hall does not allow unsanctioned duels. If you assault Lourianne Tome, you will be detained for violating both the rules of the Hall and the king’s law.”

“This is—”

[Throw him a line.]

“However,” Orphelia interrupted. “If you were to find any evidence that she has violated the king’s law, she will be detained, noble or not. I am reminding you, Mr. Atkinson, that there is a proper way to do things. Your actions, no matter the reason behind them, have consequences.”

“…hmph. I suppose that is reasonable.” Callan stood, holding the book to his chest. “I have to prepare. I’ve managed to gather a few members of the club, but it’ll still be a challenge to gather the resources needed for even the most basic summoning.”

Geneva stood and Orphelia followed. “Lou is planning on leaving the Hall for the intervening months between her initiate and acolyte years. It is the perfect time for you to make your move beneath her notice. However, you mustn’t slack on your duties. Earl will be expecting you.”

“The boy?” His opinion of Lou’s steward was apparent from his tone.

“Don’t underestimate him. Nothing about Lou is as it seems, even her servants.”

“Fine. This act will not have to go on for much longer.” He cleared his throat. “How is…”

“Mistress is fine.”

Callan nodded sharply. “Good, good. I need to get to work.”

“And we should get going before your family takes notice.” Geneva moved closer to him, her tail curling around his waist as they whispered to one another. When she stepped away, the young man was blushing fiercely, his lips twitching as he fought a smile. “Good luck, Callan.”

“I won’t fail.”

Orphelia followed Geneva as she left the store, holding her tongue until they boarded the carriage. Then she let loose. “What was all of that?”

“A game,” the succubus answered with a smile. “Did you have fun?”

“Fun? I’m not even sure if we won or loss.”

“Don’t worry. You played your role perfectly.” Geneva reclined on the bench. “Kierra has assembled a group of battle fanatics that she hopes will one day serve as Lou’s knights. She gives them private training and pits them against each other in single and team bouts. The participants have dubbed their little club Elven Garde. Callan Atkinson is one of the least magically talented individuals associated with it. The amorous young man has fallen in love with Kierra. Because of this, he has managed to frame her happy marriage as a sinister use of magic. He is convinced he is a hero destined to save the fair maiden and live happily ever after.”

“Then why are you helping him?”

“Lou wants to promote the art of summoning. I did mention Callan is untalented? He believes that contracting a powerful ally is the answer to his weakness and my summoner is more than happy to encourage that delusion.”

“So, you’re not concerned about this, ah, Vanity King?”

The succubus giggled. “King is a buffoon, but he has a role to play. As I told Callan, he wants admirers. Not one or two either. He will accept a contract on the basis that Callan builds him a following. As such, Callan will be forced to introduce more and more people to the art of summoning.”

“Furthering your summoner’s objective,” Orphelia said. “Then you’re using him.”

“I can’t take credit for everything. The Vanity King was Lou’s idea. She can be clever and has an impressive dedication to her art.” Geneva smiled. “The truly devious thing is that I didn’t lie. King is powerful enough to face any master caster, perhaps except Dunwayne but I don’t know the power of the grandmaster. That strength will draw others in droves. They too will want powerful summons. Oh, the glorious chaos of hundreds of men and women bartering with creatures beyond their control.”

Orphelia thought on the information she’d heard. Hundreds of men and women with servants that could rival master casters, all pursuing their interests to the detriment of the kingdom. Chaos was not an apt descriptor of the horrible future she envisioned.

“Why would you do that? I thought…” She thought the creature wanted to conquer the human kingdom, not tear it apart. Then she realized the succubus had never explicitly stated her objectives.

“No need to worry. Your precious kingdom will not burn. They are amateurs. All the crown need do to save itself is turn to the established summoning families.”

“I see. You create a bunch of wild summoners, who promote summoning throughout the peasants. Then they create problems, which spreads the knowledge of summoning to the upper echelons. Lou solves the problems created by these rogue summoners, elevating her in the eyes of the crown—”

“And restoring the prestige of the Tome family.”

Orphelia shook her head. “That is a dangerously reckless plan. I don’t know much about summoning but I know giving people power without any restraints can only end badly.”

“Which is part of the appeal,” Geneva said. “My summoner is fond of wild and reckless actions. But things cannot be left entirely to fate. That is where you come in. The reason for that little act, my pretty blade, is to put a leash around Callan. Do you see?”

Orphelia felt a pang of nostalgia. The succubus strongly reminded her of her tutors with her expectant gaze. “You established me as a vague authority figure.”

“Go on…”

“…you let him know that someone is watching him. So, even if he does obtain a powerful servant, he’ll think twice about using it.”

“Exactly~ Now, what other benefit did our little performance have?”

She thought on it for several moments before shaking her head.

“Security. Callan is an ant attempting to take down a lion. He knows very well how outclassed he is. So much so that it would be easy to cut his losses and run if he’s successful with his summoning. Therefore, I gave him an ally. Someone who shares his desire to bring down the villain. Someone he can turn to when he inevitably encounters trouble. While I am away with Lou traversing the land of winter, you will check on him. Gain his trust. A comrade is all it will take to give him courage.”

Orphelia was beginning to feel bad for the simple apprentice. He had no idea what he was getting into it. “I find it hard to believe that you’ve done all of this, upended my whole life, so I can help you play around with a peasant.”

“You overestimate how much effort I have put into any of this. But let me reassure you, Orphie. This is just the beginning.”

168