Miniarc-Capital in Crisis 7
3.4k 14 158
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Three hours later, the two of them drove away from the brothel. Gordon was tense, sweaty, and painfully aroused with no relief in sight. Across from him, Fen languished on the bench looking satisfied with herself. Something he found interesting see as that virtue, Benedial, had practically used her like a toy.

“She is a virtue. It is ingrained within our very being to submit to stronger succubi and yet she is following the orders of someone two circles beneath her.” Fen stretched. “Naturally, there is friction. She’s amused by outperforming human males while making them watch. If letting her rut me while your dick twitches in envy makes her feel better, it’s a fate I’m willing to suffer.” She chuckled, tail swinging in amusement.

“Is that what I’m doing here?” Gordon snapped. “Playing the idiot?”

“Of course, Junior. Did you believe I dragged you with me for your outstanding wit and sense of humor? You’re a prop. That is all you are. I’d have thought you’d figured that out by now.”

Gordon frowned but held his tongue.

“No need to look so down. At least you have purpose, something many humans in this kingdom lack. Minor as it is, you have a role to play in a grand future. Most are the same as livestock, being shepherded around with no thoughts to their futures and no idea of the world beyond their enclosures.”

Her tail gently slapped his cheek. “Turn that frown around, pet. Once we return, you’ll have a moment to change and then we are on our way to the Tome estate. I’ll need you to be your usual charming self.”

“Why? You’ve made it clear I don’t matter.”

“The Tomes are summoners. Our host will be more critical of our interactions and more suspicious of me taking the lead in conversation.”

They might—no, I can’t think that!

“Too late.” Fen chuckled. “Amazing. Just because I choose to speak to you verbally, you cannot remember that all your thoughts are audible. You’re hoping the Tomes will notice your predicament and save you. You’re wrong, of course. Assuming Javarius Tome is connected to this mysterious group of summoners and they have an elemental capable of combating a succubus’ mental prowess, I’ve already made preparations.

“Even if they should slay me the moment I set foot in the house, your mind is a maze. It would take a master days to unravel it and you cannot share my secrets, the ones you remember. Tonight’s foray will be added to that ‘vault’ until I have a chance to erase it. I’m looking forward to watching you squirm, desperately searching for a way to expose me.”

Gordon spent the rest of the trip in brooding silence. He did his best not to plot over ways to expose the succubi but his thoughts kept returning to the idea. Despite everything that had happened, he couldn’t accept that he was truly powerless.

So, he schemed. He cycled through dozens of plans as he arrived home and was handed off to the human maids. He ignored the light touches that strayed toward impropriety as the women helped him change. It wasn’t as if he could indulge. The moment he tried to, a thrall would burst into the room and drag him away on ‘important business’. Then there would be punishment.

Two hours later, he stepped off the carriage in front of the Tome estate and Gordon didn’t have a viable plan. He was forced to accept that outsmarting the thrall was simply beyond his abilities. He had to put his hopes on the Tome family and pray they could live up to their pride as the kingdom’s oldest family of summoners. No doubt his father was turning in his grave at the very thought.

The door was opened for them before they had the chance to announce themselves, a pretty young maid bowing deeply at the waist. “Welcome, Lord Mason. My lord is waiting in the dining room.”

She stepped aside, letting the two of them inside. Another maid extended a hand, eyes nervous as she looked up at him. “Um, I can take your jacket, my lord.”

Gordon shrugged off his coat and passed it to Fen. The young maid wilted at the gesture but he paid her no mind. “Guide me.”

“Of course. Please, this way.” The first maid wasted no time leading them through the house. It was a modest estate, with a dining room that could only seat a table of eight, a rather paltry show for a noble. Mason’s own table could seat sixteen, not that he ever bothered to host guests. Like everything else amongst the elite, it was a show.

Javarius “Jackal” Tome didn’t seem bothered by his lack of wealth. Seated at the head of his table and dressed in a fine suit, he looked pleased as a prince, wearing an arrogant smirk as he watched Gordon approach. Since the last time he’d seen the man, the Tome patriarch had lost a few inches on his gut, the graying hair near his temples was less pronounced, and his dark brown eyes were full of energy.

“Lord Mason!” he shouted with glee as he stood, emphasizing the last name. “I’m so glad you could make it.”

“Lord Tome.” Gordon shook his extended hand before taking the seat next to him, Fen sitting beside him. “Thank you for the invitation.”

“Not at all. I didn’t think you’d accept, given the history between our families. But in these troubled times, us summoners must stick together.”

[Draw him in, pet~]

“Before we begin, I believe I should disclose something.” The older man reached into his vest and pulled out two lockets, one gold, one silver. The gold one was glowing. “Artifacts from a few friends of mine. Very good against succubi. The gold one alerts me to the use of the mental affinity nearby. The silver protects me against mana intrusion.” He grinned. “I want to trust you, Junior, but traditions are hard to break and you are your father’s son. Better to make things clear and avoid an unfortunate situation.”

Gordon fought down a sneer. The other man was clearly taunting him but he didn’t rise to the bait. The arrival of the first course gave him a moment to collect his thoughts.

[Do not eat the food.]

Why?

[It smells of poison. A paralytic, slow-acting. It appears this is going to be an interesting night.]

“Forgive me if I get straight to business.” Gordon pushed aside his plate and laced his fingers. “Why am I here? We’re not friendly enough for social calls.”

Jackal took a sip of his soup and dabbed at his mouth with a napkin. “Boorish, but fine. There is only one reason for our houses to meet. Tell me, have you heard the rumors that the king is preparing to announce a new decree?”

“The one that would restrict the kinds of elementals a summoner may contract to this realm, you mean.”

“I see your information network hasn’t suffered from your father’s madness. Yes, that. If you have any doubts, let me squash them. It is real and will be announced on Saintsday. And this is only the beginning. The king is targeting summoners. The question is, what will the summoners do about it?”

[Slowly.]

“What are you suggesting?”

“Me?” Jackal chuckled. “He plans to prohibit the contracting of succubi. I’d have thought you already had a scheme in mind.”

[Follow my lead.]

“My father was the schemer,” he said neutrally as the thrall whispered into his mind. “And I’m not going to fight the royal knights. No, if the king wants us gone, the Mason family will leave, taking all our money and elementals with us.”

The Tome patriarch sneered. “I didn’t take you for a coward.”

“Did you take me for suicidal?” Gordon scoffed. “We’ll find some corner to restart in, rebuild our strength. Perhaps Graywatch. No one’s going to fish us out of that cesspool.”

“…what if I could give you another option?”

Gordon paused for the appropriate amount of time before asking, “What do you mean?”

“The summoners of the capital have banded together and we plan to communicate our dissatisfaction to the king in the only way powerful men understand.” He smiled.

[Stand up.]

“You’re wasting my time,” Gordon snapped as he stood.

“Sit down, Junior.”

“I won’t be involved in a coup,” he sneered.

“You’re being dramatic. This isn’t a coup. We simply want to demonstrate to those who have forgotten the power of summoning that we are not a group to be trifled with. Now, if you’re not interested in preserving the art for future generations and restoring the respect this kingdom owes us, then you can go run off to that sewer of a city.”

The two men glared at each other until Fen ‘whispered’ for Gordon to retake his seat. “I’m listening,” he said slowly. “But if I hear something I don’t like, I’m gone.”

“Fair enough. Ah.” He paused as a maid entered the room carrying two plates. She bowed her head as she set one before Gordon but after setting down the second plate, Jackal caught her wrist. A small tug was all it took to urge her onto his lap. He smiled at Gordon’s frown. “What’s the matter? I’d have thought you’d be accustomed to this much as a Grimoire.”

“Contrary to what the capital thinks, our estate didn’t host orgies every day. Are you going to get to the point?”

Jackal chuckled, a hand rubbing the maid’s stomach. Her eyes squeezed shut, her face lined with tension as she fought to control her expression. “We have a plan but it requires knowledgeable summoners and resources. Your family can offer both.”

“So, you want me to fight the crown for you.”

“No. I’m offering you the chance to join us in our fight. For too long, we have been used by this kingdom, always belittled. The crown wants to slaughter your elementals. It’s only a matter of time before they come for the summoners themselves. Is that what you want? To be reduced to peasants, if not wiped out entirely? As powerless as the toys your father broke and tossed away without thought?” He palmed one of his maid’s breasts, resting his head on her shoulder. “Of course you don’t.”

Gordon watched the man fondle his maid with growing disdain. The act itself didn’t disgust him. Jackal was right, he’d seen and done worse. The woman wasn’t even rejecting his advances, though she also didn’t seem particularly pleased with them. What irked him was that Jackal thought the display would impress him. Or anger him. Not a good start to a partnership.

[Seven beings have entered the house.]

What are we going to do?

[Nothing. Things are getting interesting.]

“I suppose the thrall is telling you about my friends,” Jackal said. “I should mention that if you refuse to work with us voluntarily, we have other ways of convincing you.”

“Do you think you can hurt me and get away with it?”

“Who’s going to stop us? The rest of your family isn’t happy with you, Gordon Mason. Good job there. I laughed for days after hearing about it.”

Gordon sighed. “Since I apparently don’t have a choice, what is it that you want me to do, partner?”

Jackal grinned. “We need your help with a drakkon.”

 

158