11 What if Harry’s magic did more than heal him when he was hurt?
3.6k 30 69
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I took a break from writing AMP and came up with this. Here's about 38,370 words for you. Happy New Year!

A very stunned eleven year old Harry Potter sat at the Leaky Cauldron, his meal barely touched, and he pondered over the story that the half-giant named Hagrid had just told him. An evil wizard named Voldemort had come for him as a baby and died, because the curse meant to kill Harry, had rebounded and killed the wizard instead.

“So, that's why.” Harry whispered as his barely used mind started to replay all of the events that had happened over the years.

Ever since he was a baby, he had been called 'freak' or 'boy'. He had accepted that was his name, because odd things kept happening to him.

The very first thing he remembered was when he was a two year old and Dudley's fat baby fist had hit his cheek and he didn't feel it. It hadn't bothered him and that upset baby Dudley. The second and third fists hurt a lot more; but, baby Harry never reacted, because he hadn't known he was supposed to. He was only two. After the fourth hit, it didn't hurt anymore.

When he was four and had caused something to happen, he never knew what, and Uncle Vernon reacted badly and shook him so hard by the arm that it broke. The snap had been loud and both Vernon and Petunia had gasped at the sound as toddler Harry cried out in pain. They didn't know what to do, so Vernon shoved him back into his cupboard to think.

As the evening wore on, they decided leaving toddler Harry broken was a bad idea and took him to a hospital with the excuse he fell down the stairs. His arm was set as best as it could be and he was sent home, no questions asked.

Toddler Harry's magic acted as it always had and quickly fixed the damage, only it didn't stop there. Breaking other bones just wouldn't do, so the magic healed him all over and his bones became much harder to break.

The first frying pan to the back of the head had knocked six year old Harry out. After a quick trip to the hospital to have his head checked and wrapped in bandages to hold it together, Harry's magic didn't like that one bit. Not only did it heal the fractured skull, it once again reinforced the rest of his bones to become that much tougher.

Seven year old Dudley's punches became more frequent as Vernon and Petunia kept heaping verbal and physical abuse on Harry. The punches didn't affect Harry much after the first few beatings by Dudley and even his little gang of thugs. In fact, Harry stopped bruising after a while. This did not stop them from hunting him down and pounding on him harder, though.

Even when Vernon was particularly vicious and had slapped him hard or used the belt on his back, Harry didn't react. It drove Vernon to new heights to try and get a reaction out of the boy and he had even turned the belt around and started using the belt buckle. This worked at first and even marred Harry's skin the first few times.

After that, even the marks faded and only left red welts for barely a few moments and it healed. This did not sit well with Vernon at all. How could he punish the eight year old boy if he couldn't hurt him? He snapped inside his mind a little and used Petunia's favorite frying pan and broke as many bones in Harry's underfed body that he could.

Petunia had screamed bloody murder at the severely fractured little boy bleeding to death on her living room carpet. Not for the boy's sake, however. She didn't care about that. Her carpet could never be cleaned of so much blood. Vernon took a frying pan to the back from Petunia's rage and he promised to get her a brand new carpet after they stuffed the boy into the car and took him to the hospital.

By this point, Harry was a well known constant injury case and they didn't even ask what happened. They set everything, put in him a full body cast, and sent him home. They didn't waste any more time on him than his own relatives did.

Harry's magic reacted appropriately and toughened Harry's bones even more as it fixed them. It took a while. The skin damage was healed and even his damaged organs were repaired eventually and Harry was whole once more.

Despite how satisfying it had been for Vernon to finally pummel the boy, Petunia didn't have her slave to do the cooking, cleaning, and chores for nearly two months. She also had to feed the little freak because he couldn't do it himself. Vernon didn't hear the end of her complaining about it until the casts were finally removed.

What they didn't know was that Harry's magic wasn't getting the nutrition it needed for the body to thrive, so even the little scraps of food Petunia had fed Harry had been automatically transfigured into the most nutritious and body satisfying food. His magic made sure that no matter what passed through Harry's lips as nourishment, it became the best food to ever exist.

Released from his cast prison, Harry was not given time to recover and had to do chores after not moving for two months. His body protested this exertion with excruciating pain and his cries were ignored. As he continued to move, his magic adapted and changed his muscles to not only be more efficient to process both oxygen and blood better, it made them stronger and faster.

Harry's missing time at school hadn't even been commented on, because of all the injuries and things he had suffered over the years. He always passed his tests, barely just below his fat cousin, no matter how much time he missed. No one ever questioned this, because it had always been that way. Harry's magic wouldn't let Harry's brain fail him.

The most recent incident came to Harry's mind and it replayed in his mind's eye as if it had just happened.

When Vernon's escalating attempts to hurt a 10 year old Harry had failed, they had ventured out to London for some shopping for Dudley's birthday. While walking along a busy street, Vernon's slightly snapped mind finally broke and he pushed the little freak into the street. One long honked horn from a passing Lorry and little Harry disappeared under the large truck and its skidding wheels.

“I finally killed the little bastard!” Vernon crowed in triumph, not realizing he was on a packed street of shocked people that had seen him commit murder.

“Yeah! He got what he deserved!” Dudley agreed.

Before Petunia could nod in agreement, she screeched as Vernon was tackled by no less than three men and two police officers. She jumped on the closest one, as did Dudley, and they were all soon swarmed by more people and several whistles rang out and more police showed up.

It took half an hour for the whole mess to be sorted out and Vernon was in handcuffs for murder as the police went around to collect statements from everyone.

The truck driver was in tears at the blood on the pavement behind his wheels and the ambulance driver was trying to console him while his partner tried to figure out how to get the body out from under the Lorry without damaging it further.

“Can someone get me out of here? I think I'm bleeding.” Harry's muffled voice came from between the large double tires.

“HE'S ALIVE!” A woman's yell broke the relative peace of the closed off street.

Pandemonium had ensued.

A wrecker had been brought in and lifted the large Lorry and a partially broken Harry Potter had to be peeled out from where he was stuck. One of his arms and both legs were bent the wrong way and everyone's hearts went out to him.

“Don't worry, young man. We'll have you fixed up in no time.” One of the paramedics said.

“I'm not worried.” A blood covered Harry said.

After a long stay in the hospital and eating actual food, which shocked the people working there when he told them that, Harry was released into the custody of a very reluctant and angry Petunia.

“You are going to get it when we get home!” Petunia spat as she signed the release papers. “Vernon's in jail because of you and could go to prison! You're going to deny everything and...”

A man and a woman that stood off to the side of the nurse's station stepped forward at that point.

“I'm sorry that we can't allow you to intimidate a witness and to incriminate yourself further, Mrs. Dursley. What you've done already is enough for us.” The woman said.

Petunia glared at the woman. “And what business is it of yours what I do to MY nephew?”

The man pulled a badge out of his pocket and Petunia's face lost the glare as she saw he was a detective and the woman was a representative of Child Welfare Services.

“We knew something fishy was going on and did some digging. You are not well liked by your neighbours and they all had something interesting to say about your treatment of your nephew.” The woman said as Petunia was handcuffed. “We waited until now so we could confirm your harmful intentions towards your nephew and to remove the boy from your custody.”

“Why are you cuffing me?” Petunia screeched.

“You're under arrest for child abuse. If only one of the incidents are true, you're facing at least six months in jail. If more are true...” The man said and looked at Harry. “...you might be in prison for up to twenty years.”

“R-r-really?” Harry asked, surprised.

The woman nodded. “Would you like to come with me and we can talk about all of this, Harry?”

“Yes, please!” Harry said and happily went with the complete stranger. His reaction hadn't surprised the two experienced people at all. Most abused kids were happy for any excuse to leave abusive homes.

Harry had stayed at a halfway house for orphans for nearly four months before Hagrid had shown up with his Hogwarts letter on his birthday.

Now here Harry sat in a pub and had learned that he really was a freak. A famous one, because even a killing curse couldn't hurt him. With the realization that everything he went through only made him stronger, despite the first bouts of pain he had suffered, he was now more resilient than his uncle's hammer that had 'slipped' several times into his head. His uncle had swung it at him while fixing the garage door.

“I'm sorry ta be tha one tellin' ya 'bout yer parents, Harry.” Hagrid said and took a big swig of his large mug of ale. “Well, finish up yer food and we best be gettin' ta shoppin' fer the rest of yer school stuff!”

Harry nodded and quickly ate, his magic changing the food automatically for him to have the best nutrients, then he went with the large man and they shoved everything they bought into Harry's discount trunk.

At one point, a blonde boy walked towards Harry as he went into Madam Malkin's. “Out of the way you muscular oaf!” He said loudly and tried to push Harry out of the way.

Instead of moving, Harry stood there and the blond boy almost bounced off and stumbled. He caught his balance before he fell and glared at Harry.

“How dare you assault a Malfoy!” The boy spat.

Harry gave him an odd look for a moment and then lightly punched him in the face. The blond boy comically spun around three times before he landed face down on the cobblestone sidewalk. Surprisingly, not one single person made any kind of noise or ran over to see if the boy was okay. Harry shrugged and entered the shop to get his school robes.

As he waited to be measured, Harry realized that he didn't remember his parents at all and he wasn't sad that they had been murdered. He was sad that he had spent all of his life with abusive relatives because some evil idiot thought that Harry could be hurt. Harry knew better, though.

Nothing could hurt him.

*

The bus delivered Harry Potter to Kings Cross Station at close to the train's leaving time. He wore a tight t-shirt and jeans and had a fresh buzz cut. He also carried his trunk without trouble. People kind of stared at him as he did so and he ignored them like he always did. He went to the spot between platforms nine and ten and looked at his ticket. He had no clue how to get to nine and three quarters, which seemed stupid anyway.

How do you only go three quarters of the way onto a platform?

As he waited, Harry went over in his head what he had been doing since Vernon had been arrested and sent to prison. Harry had quickly taken to seeing just how far he could hurt himself after he realized that being run over by a Lorry had given him the biggest boost to his ability to not be hurt.

If being hit at thirty miles an hour and run over hadn't really hurt him, what would jumping off of a thirty foot building be like? They said on the telly that's what smaller car crashes were like. So, he had to try it.

When Harry woke up, he knew the telly had lied. It wasn't the same at all. He pulled his twisted legs back into place and laid there to wait for his body to adjust to the new sensations. He was having a difficult time breathing, like he always did after having his chest partially crushed and several ribs broken, so he laid there and waited.

Once he had healed, he went right back up and jumped again. As he had predicted, he wasn't hurt as much this time, even if he hadn't landed properly and had broken his arm and his neck this time. He rolled over onto his back and waited as his body fixed itself. When it did, he jumped again and again.

It wasn't until the sixth jump that he had finally landed on his feet and hadn't broken his legs or his ankles. He had even kept his balance! Harry had laughed at that and was glad that there were a lot of slums near where the halfway house was and his antics hadn't been seen or garnered any attention. He quickly found a much higher spot to jump from and continued his experiments.

It wasn't until one of the older kids mentioned at supper that he had torn his shoulder while working out that gave Harry another idea. He quickly asked about what happened and the older boy was glad to tell him all about it.

Harry's mind was alight with the possibilities. He knew that when he was hurt by something, he always healed and was that much more resilient. He found out that exercising would strain and tear muscles and they would grow stronger when they healed. He had experienced something like this after the body cast had been removed, so he knew it would work.

Harry started to work out, despite the older boy telling him he was too young to benefit from the process. Harry ignored him and learned everything he could about proper exercise, building muscle, proper diets, and body maintenance. It was enlightening to know that his healing body had been doing exactly that since he was younger, so he took to it like a duck to water.

Harry was shaken from his musings when a loud group of redheaded people appeared on the platform near him and were talking about things that he was sure were not supposed to be talked about around normal people. Hagrid had said something about secrecy and non-magic folk called muggles.

He didn't approach them however, because he had been warned at the halfway house about talking to strangers and what could happen. Being kidnapped and killed was not something he wanted to happen to him like the stories about poor Milly. He was sure that with him being famous, even more nutters might want to kidnap him.

Harry watched the redheads gather at the wall between the platforms and then they started to walk through the damned thing! He was shocked and then he realized it must be like the wall behind the pub, only with this one you couldn't see the hole. He waited until they were all through before going through himself and saw everyone scrambling to board a huge steam-driven train.

He hopped onto the closest entrance and entered the train car, then started walking along to look for a place to sit. A few people saw him pass by and then ignored him, as if he wasn't worth knowing, and he laughed under his breath. He knew no one else and he was sure a lot of other people didn't know anyone else, either.

Harry stopped when he saw a compartment with only one person in it. She was a big girl for eleven and she looked angry for some reason. He knocked on the door to the compartment, which was only polite, and she turned to glare at him. She didn't shout at him to go away, so he took that as an invitation and opened the door.

“What do you want?” She spat. “Have you come here to make fun of the freak, too?”

Harry's face changed to a scowl. “You don't even know me! Why would you make fun of me?”

The girl's face changed from anger to surprise. “Wh-what?”

“How did you know my relatives called me a freak since I was a baby?” Harry asked and tossed his trunk up onto the overhead rack as if it weighed nothing.

The girl's mouth dropped open at the casual show of strength.

“What? Now that you're looking at the freak, you don't know what to say?” Harry spat.

“I... I... I'm the freak!” The girl said, half in a whisper and half in a shout.

Harry blinked his eyes at her. “Huh? Why are you a freak?”

The girl looked even more surprised. “I... I'm really big for my age and... I'm... I'm ugly.”

Harry huffed and flexed his arms. His t-shirt almost popped apart and the girl's mouth dropped open again. He had been working out constantly and his rippling muscles had responded to his magic just like the rest of his body had. Of course, having access to actual meals that gave his body plenty of fuel to work with, had really helped him with his development. He was slightly taller than a normal eleven year old, too.

“Do you work out?” Harry asked and stopped flexing.

“I don't have to. Natural muscles.” The girl said with something like awe in her voice.

“I had that, too. Found out about workouts and nutrition and things about five months ago. It made my normal muscles really pop.”

“I'll say.” The girl said as her eyes roamed over his muscular arms. Even at eleven, she still appreciated strength and muscle. They had helped her out of a lot of tight binds while growing up.

“Is it chilly in here? I feel a little draft.” Harry said and turned around as if to look for it.

The girl burst out laughing because the back of Harry's t-shirt had actually popped apart.

Harry glanced back at her and she had her hands clamped over her mouth to try and stop laughing. He smiled and pulled off the t-shirt, tossed it at her, then he brought his trunk down from the rack and took out another one, just in a different color. He pulled it on, put the trunk back, and sat down across from her.

“I'm Harry. What's your name?” Harry asked.

“Millicent.” The girl said and kind of hugged the t-shirt. “My friends call me Millie.”

Harry thought about that for a second and smiled. “Millie it is, then.”

Millie looked a little confused about that. “Why did you come here?”

“To learn magic, of course.” Harry said.

“No, I mean here to this compartment.” Millie corrected.

“Well, since I came here alone and you're here alone, I figured we could be alone together.”

Millie snorted. “You do realize that doesn't make sense, right?”

“I guess you're right. If we're together, I guess we have to sit together.” Harry said and stood to move over to her bench seat and sat next to her. “Is this better?”

Millie looked really confused as she stared at him. “What are you playing at?”

Harry gave her a slightly confused look and then he realized his mistake. “Oh! I keep forgetting what Ken kept telling me about impressing a girl. Can I start over? He really tried to beat it into my thick skull that not everyone is like my relatives.”

Millie just sat there and didn't know how to respond to that.

Harry assumed that meant yes and tenderly took her hand. “Hi, Millie. I'm Harry. I like working out and I think you're pretty. I would like to be friends with you.”

Millie's face turned to a bright scarlet as she blushed deeply. “Harry...”

The door to the compartment slammed open and the same blond boy Harry had met in Diagon Alley was there with two big guards behind him.

“Oh, look! The troglodyte has found another one to mate with!” The boy said and laughed. His two bodyguards laughed, too.

“Excuse me for a minute, Millie.” Harry said and stood. He was at the same height as the two guards and he stepped forward with a smile on his face.

Three quick knock-out punches later, he piled the three unconscious boys into the hallway and shut the door.

Harry sat down and took Millie's hand again. “So, where were we? Oh! I was asking you to be friends.”

Millie looked at the closed door and then at Harry's face. “Do you know who that was?”

“No, why would I care what his name is? He's a bully and I hate bullies.” Harry said. “My cousin found me at the orphan halfway house to get me back for sending his parents to prison for abusing me. After he exhausted himself trying to beat me to death with a tire iron, he got sent to St. Brutus' Centre for Incurably Criminal Boys.”

Millie gasped and covered her mouth with her free hand. A moment later, she pulled Harry into a strong hug that made Harry feel like a bear was trying to wrestle with him. It actually felt kind of nice, because he had never been hugged like that before. He hugged her back and held on for quite some time.

The door slammed open again and a bushy-haired girl stood there. “Has anyone seen a toad? A boy named Neville's lost one.”

“Was it green, had long legs, and liked to croak?” Harry asked as he let Millie go.

“Yes!” The girl exclaimed.

“Nope, never seen it.” Harry said.

“What? But... you...”

“...described every frog in existence.” Harry said with a smile and Millie chuckled.

The bushy-haired girl scowled. “You don't have to be a jerk about it. You could have just said no.”

“Who's the jerk that didn't knock politely first?” Harry asked and she blushed. “Ken always said that you attract more bees with honey than vinegar.”

The girl understood right away. “I suppose I did sound all brash. I'm sorry. I've searched nearly the whole train and it's very frustrating.”

“If it's not your frog, it might not want you to find him.” Millie said. “Familiars are funny like that.”

“Familiars?” Harry asked.

“It was at the bottom of your acceptance letter. We're allowed an owl, a cat, or a toad.” The bushy-haired girl said.

“Oh, I got an owl. Hagrid got it for me for my birthday.” Harry said, proudly. “It was my very first present!”

“Where is it?” Millie asked.

“I sent her on ages ago. Too stuffy in a cage for a bird to stay in for the whole train ride.” Harry said. “What about you?”

“I'm allergic to cats, can't afford an owl's upkeep or have anyone worth writing to, and toads went out of fashion about fifty years ago.” Millie said with a shrug.

Harry looked at the bushy-haired girl and motioned with his hand.

“Cost is the main reason. I'm saving up for one between saving up for books.” The girl admitted.

“Some of that book stuff is barking mad.” Harry said with a laugh. “Eye of newt and tongue of lizard? I thought I was reading a joke book and it was a potions book! Ha ha!”

Both girls laughed softly.

“It's real, though.” Millie said. “Some of the harder potions have weird ingredients like dragon livers and crushed snake fangs.”

“Oh, I know. I spent a good two hours looking through the Apothecary during my second trip to Diagon Alley.” Harry said and both girls looked surprised. “What? The first time I was there was to only buy school things and I couldn't actually shop because Hagrid was in a rush.”

The bushy-haired girl sighed. “I never thought of actually going back after McGonagall took me there.”

“You're both muggleborns?” Millie asked, a little sharply.

“My parents were wizards; but, they were killed and I grew up with my abusive muggle relatives.” Harry said. “I didn't even know I was a wizard until Hagrid gave me my letter.”

Millie took his hand and gripped it tightly.

“Hey, it's okay. I never knew them.” Harry said and put his other hand on hers.

“It's still hard because you still miss what you never had.” Millie said.

“Like friends.” The bushy-haired girl said and both Harry and Millie nodded. “I'm the first witch in my family. That I know of, anyway.”

Millie gave her a pointed look.

“The Statute of Secrecy stops people from discussing it, especially with extended family. I could have cousins, aunts, or great grandparents that are magical and they aren't allowed to talk to anyone to let them know if anyone else in the family was born magical.”

Millie looked surprised and Harry laughed.

“Yeah, I can just imagine how many people have cousins and other relatives that are magical and none of them know about it, because no one is allowed to discuss it with muggles, even if they are your family.” Harry said. “Idiots.”

That brought the conversation to a halt pretty damn fast.

“Anyways, I better go and keep looking for that toad.” The bushy-haired girl said.

“Have fun! Try to not step on it when you find it. It's not pretty.” Harry said and both girls made gagging sounds. “Yep, just like that.”

“Eww!” The bushy-haired girl said and slammed the door shut.

Harry laughed and looked at Millie. “Did you notice the jerks were missing from the hallway?”

“A prefect probably revived them.” Millie said. “You need to watch out for Malfoy, Harry. He holds grudges and he never forgets what people do to him.”

Harry smiled. “That can't be true, because that's the second time I knocked him out with one punch. If he remembered each time, he would assume he's going to get the same every time he comes near me.”

Millie opened her mouth to refute that, then smiled. “You're right. He's not smart enough to do that.”

Harry laughed and let her hand go to put an arm over her shoulders. “So, you know a lot about how I grew up. What's your story?”

Millie gave an odd look at his arm over her shoulders.

“Good friends hang all over each other.” Harry said and she looked skeptical. “That's what Jim said.”

“What happened to Ken?” Millie asked.

“He punched Jim right in the pie hole when he tried it. Apparently, they're not good friends.” Harry said with a smirk.

Millie snorted and then she laughed. “P-pie hole!”

Harry grinned. “If you liked that, let me introduce you to a bit more lingo from the halfway house.”

Millie laughed her ass off all the way to Hogwarts.

*

Harry and Millicent stood out from the rest of the eleven year olds because they were among the tallest of the group. Crabbe and Goyle had been smart and slouched down behind Malfoy to hide.

The whole Great Hall had fallen quiet as the first years were brought to the front of the hall and the sorting hat. The hat sang its customary song and then the sorting began. Harry didn't know anyone except Millie and she had been sorted almost immediately because her last name was Bulstrode. She went into Slytherin.

The bushy-haired girl was named Hermione Granger and she went into Griffindor. They were enthusiastic as they greeted her and she looked at them skeptically. Harry knew she was as wary as he was about false friends that only wanted to be near you to get something from you. That had been a hard lesson for Gary to learn, because you did not steal from Harry Potter and got away with it.

“Harry Potter.” The old witch said his name and he knew this was a ploy. The guys at the halfway house knew what drawing attention to yourself meant. That others did it for you, meant they wanted you watched. Saying his name first to last when every other name was last to first, let him know that he was meant to get attention.

“That's Harry Potter?”

“Why's he so big?”

“Where are his glasses?”

“Wait, where's his scar? And his hair? That can't be him!”

The voices all spoke loudly as Harry walked over to the stool. He did his best to not glare at the old woman and put on the hat.

Well, well. Hello there, Mister Potter. What an interesting mind you have. The hat thought to him.

Harry winced slightly and he felt a little tingle in his brain.

When the hat kept talking, the voice in his head started to fade away into a whisper and then nothing.

Harry blinked his eyes at the silence and after a few moments, he thought to the hat and asked what was wrong and why wasn't it talking to him anymore. It didn't react or thought back to him. After a couple of minutes trying, he took the hat off.

“I think it's broken.” Harry said and handed the hat to the old witch.

She stared at him and looked shocked.

A really old man stood up and walked over to them around the large ornate table that a bunch of other witches and wizards sat behind. “What seems to be the problem?”

“Mister Potter said it's broken.” The old witch said and handed the hat to the old man.

He switched it for the hat on his head and started to hum a little tune. A few minutes later, the old man nodded. “I see the problem. It's all right, Minerva. The hat's not broken. It's just having trouble with sorting Harry.”

Minerva frowned. “It's never had trouble before, Albus.”

“Yes, it is a perplexing thing.” Albus said. “Let's put him into your house until we can sort this out.”

“Is your house Slytherin?” Harry asked.

“By Merlin's beard, no!” Minerva exclaimed. “It's Griffindor.”

“My friend Millie's in Slytherin.” Harry said and a few of the nearby students gasped. “If you can't sort me until later, I can go with her.”

Minerva opened her mouth to respond and Albus put a hand on her arm to stop her.

“Harry.” Albus said. “It's best that you be placed away from danger and...”

“Hufflepuff would gladly accept his temporary assignment!” A young man said and stood, which made a bunch of the other Hufflepuffs clap. “Who better than the friendly and loyal to keep him safe?”

“Harry Potter can't go to the Duffers!” A redheaded boy said loudly from the remaining group of first years. “He belongs in Griffindor like me! His best mate!”

This caused several of the Hufflepuff students to stand and they started to shout. The Griffindors immediately stood in retaliation and shouted back to defend a future Griffindor.

*WHHHEEEWWWWEEEEEET!*

The very loud whistle cut through the Great Hall like an alarm bell and everyone winced and grabbed their ears to stop the sound. They all turned to see Harry Potter standing on the stool and he had his fingers at the sides of his mouth.

“I have no clue who the giant jerk is that started this.” Harry said and pointed to the redheaded boy. “Best mate? Who the bloody hell do you think you are? We've never met!”

“Language, Mister Potter!” Minerva said, sternly.

“Sorry, miss. I hate it when people assume we're going to be friends just because they want something from me. I won't be going into your house if you accept people like that.” Harry said and a lot of people made surprised sounds.

“I only just found out I was a wizard when I got my letter. I don't need or want to be friends with wizards like him if all he wants is to be friends with my fame.” Harry said.

A lot more startled sounds came from the students and a few of the teachers.

“I'm here to learn magic and maybe meet some people who'll like me for me, like Millie does.” Harry said and nearly all of the students turned to look at Millicent, who was bright red and looked like she wanted to be anywhere else right now. “Sorry, Millie. I didn't mean to embarrass you. I'm just saying what's true.”

“You're. Still. Talking!” Millie almost shouted.

It was Harry's turn to look embarrassed. “Yeah, sorry. Pretty girls like you and Hermione make me nervous sometimes and I can't shut up.”

Complete silence fell in the Great Hall and everyone was stunned, especially Millie and Hermione.

“Since being in your house or Hermione's is gonna cause trouble, I better go for a middle one, because I don't want to cause any trouble. The bloke from Hufflepuff seems nice enough, so do you mind if I bunk with them for a bit?”

“Wh-why are you asking me?” Millie asked.

“I figure it's just polite, being you're my first friend here.” Harry said with a shrug. “I had politeness beat into me with baseball bat and it took a while for the lessons to stick.”

Several gasps came from a lot of the girls, especially from Hufflepuff.

Harry stepped down from the stool and walked over to the third year boy. “It's nice to meet you.”

“I'm Cedric.” The boy said and waved at the first years. “Have a seat and the food will be served soon.”

“Thanks.” Harry said and sat beside a strawberry blonde girl. “Hi, I'm Harry.”

“H-Hi.” The girl said and blushed a little.

“What's your name?” Harry asked.

“She's Susan and I'm Hannah.” The girl with pigtails said from across the table.

“Nice to meet you both.” Harry said.

“Where's your scar?” A rude boy asked without introducing himself.

“I had a little run-in with an axe while cutting wood for the halfway house and sliced that and part of my forehead right off.” Harry said and made a chopping motion across part of his own head. “I screamed bloody murder, let me tell you. It was the first time I felt an axe, too.”

The boy looked sick, as did a few other people.

“It's all right. My skull grew back clean and twice as strong.” Harry said and rapped on it with his knuckles.

“So, you're an idiot?” The same boy asked.

“Zachariah!” One of the people with badges exclaimed.

“Are you always mean or is it just for me?” Harry asked.

“He's always mean.” Someone else said. It was a boy Harry didn't know the name of.

“How did you get into the house of the friendly and the loyal?” Harry asked, genuinely curious. “You can't make friends being mean and you sure as hell can't be loyal to friends you don't have.”

“That's none of your business!” Zach spat.

“Then I suggest you keep your opinions to yourself.” Harry said. “If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.”

“You can't tell me what to do!” Zach said, angrily.

“I was politely telling you to shut the hell up.” Harry said and picked up a metal salt shaker. He crushed it in his hand like it was made of clay and tossed it down the table to where Zach sat. Everyone stared at the crumpled mass of metal as it bounced with several clangs and then it spilled salt over the table.

“Mister Potter, you will be serving detention tonight.” Minerva said.

“What for?” Harry asked.

“Destruction of school property and threatening a student.” Minerva said.

“Huh? You know magic, right? Can't you use that Reparo spell to fix it in a second?” Harry asked.

“That's not the point.” Minerva said.

“What? Why not? It's not like I broke it up or anything. It's just dented.” Harry said. “What's the limit on the spell, anyway? Can I crush it into a ball and still have the spell work?”

Minerva glared at him. “This is not a spell theory discussion. Detention after supper in my office.”

Harry shrugged and looked at Cedric. “Since the old lady doesn't want to try it, can you do the repair spell? I want to see it work.”

Hisses and surprised sounds came from everyone around Harry.

“That will be two detentions, Mister Potter.” Minerva said.

“What for?” Harry asked.

“Disrespecting a teacher.” Minerva said and her glare seemed to intensify.

“How is it disrespectful to call you an old lady?” Harry asked.

“Make that three detentions!” Minerva spat.

“What? Why? You are an old lady.” Harry said, clearly confused, and more hisses and a few groans came from the students around him. “What else am I supposed to call you? Are you really an old man dressed up or something?”

“That will be a solid week of detentions.” Minerva said, her voice deadly. “Speak once more and it will be a month.”

Harry gave her a calculating look. “How are you going to make me show up?”

“That's a solid month, Mister Potter. I hope you enjoy writing lines.” Minerva spat.

“That doesn't answer my question. How are you going to MAKE ME go to detention?” Harry asked, quite pointedly.

“I am the Deputy Headmistress! While you are in attendance of this school, you will do as ordered, young man!”

Harry lost the calculated look and laughed. “Yeah, you can stuff it, you old bag.”

“WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?!?” Minerva yelled and her voice almost shook the rafters.

“I know your type. You're just like my abusive muggle aunt. You don't care at all about the people you're in charge of, you just want us to blindly follow your orders. You're all stern and controlling and you get angry when someone tells you no. You love abusing your power of authority that you believe you have over everyone and you enjoy putting us back in our places when you think we've stepped out of line.”

Everyone was shocked to hear that from Harry, especially Minerva.

“I've had to deal with it all my bloody life and they put that controlling old crone into prison for it.” Harry said and Minerva's face lost some of its color. “The psychiatrist at the halfway house really helped me deal with all the crap I went through and she told me that no matter what, I never have to suffer like that again.” He gave her a penetrating look. “So, you can order me as much as you want and I'm going to ignore you as much as I want.”

Minerva looked to be at a loss of what to say.

Harry turned away from her and looked back at Cedric. “When do they serve the food around here?”

“After the show, apparently.” Cedric mumbled and Harry grinned.

“I think you really should be in Slytherin.” A female voice near the end of the table said.

“That's what I said.” Harry replied and looked at the girl with blonde hair. “I'm glad at least one person agrees with me. What's your name?”

“Beatrice, and don't you forget it.” The pink-haired girl said with a glare.

“Not a problem. I've got a mind like a steel trap.” Harry responded.

“It's too bad your mouth wasn't one.” She said.

“Why's that?” Harry asked.

“It could be snapped shut and wouldn't open again until someone opens it for you.” Beatrice said with a smile.

“That is an excellent suggestion, Miss Haywood.” Minerva said and waved her wand at Harry and his mouth snapped shut. “Until you learn some proper manners young man, you will remain this way.”

Harry glared at her and pointed at the plate in front of him.

“I believe going without supper will be a fit punishment for you.” Minerva said with satisfaction.

Harry's glare intensified as he stood up and he felt a tingle as his body adjusted to whatever the old lady had done to him. He knew it wouldn't be long for his magic to do its work. After a few moments of glaring at her, there was a light crack and Harry's mouth popped open.

“I knew you were just as bad as my relatives with that speech about houses being like family! They starved me, too!” Harry spat at her and everyone in the hall gasped, as did Minerva. “Are you going to start beating me next?”

“N-no! I... I didn't... know...” Minerva mumbled.

“If this is how you treat new students in your school, I'm leaving!” Harry said and turned away from her as he started to walk. He felt something hit him from behind and he fell to the floor, unconscious.

Albus walked over to the student he had just stunned, much to everyone's shock. “This did not go as planned.”

“Albus...” Minerva whispered and she had tears in her eyes.

“There there, Minerva.” Albus said and pat her arm. “I'm sure once he wakes up in a few hours, he will be much more reasonable about all of this.”

“No, he won't.” Minerva said and looked down at Harry, whom had been left face down on the dirty floor. “You heard what he said.”

Albus sighed and was about to comment when he and everyone around him heard a groan.

“Uhhh... what... what hit me?” Harry said with a soft voice as he slowly pushed himself up to his knees. “Why do I feel sleepy?”

Everyone stared as Harry stood up and then stumbled a little. He caught himself on Cedric's shoulder and took several deep breaths.

“What happened?” Harry said much more clearly.

“Harry...” Albus started to say.

“Shut it, old man.” Harry said and looked at Cedric. “Tell me what happened, please.”

“Harry...” Cedric started to say.

“House of the loyal and friendly.” Harry said and let his shoulder go. “Will you deny someone you invited into your house? Is your offer of friendship so hollow?”

“Hey! That's not fair to guilt him like that! You just met!” Beatrice exclaimed.

“Are you all like them, then?” Harry asked and motioned at Minerva and Albus. “Only nice when it's necessary? Only happy to help as long as you're not put out about it?”

Beatrice closed her mouth and glared at him.

“What happened?” Harry asked and looked right into Cedric's eyes.

Cedric looked conflicted. “You were stunned to stop you from leaving.”

Harry squinted his eyes slightly, because he had easily caught that Cedric wouldn't say who had done it.

“We need to take you to the infirmary to...” Albus started to say.

“Do they have an exit there? What's wrong with those big doors right there?” Harry interrupted and pointed across the Great Hall at the large oak doors in the Entrance Hall.

Albus sighed. “Harry, you can't leave. Once you enroll at school, you are bound to complete your magical education.”

“Oh, really?” Harry said and looked at the old man in the eyes. “What's to stop me from just walking out of here besides that stunning thing?”

Albus took the opportunity to use Legilimens to peer into Harry's head. The first thing he noticed was that it was much more difficult than it should have been. He discreetly drew his wand and added its power to the probe. He quickly gained everything that was at the forefront of Harry's mind and he saw all of the abuses and the attempts on his life that his uncle had performed on the boy.

“Well? How are you going to stop me?” Harry asked.

“If you leave, your wand will be snapped and your magic bound.” Minerva said. “Since you live with muggles...”

Gasps came from all over at the confirmation. Harry hadn't been lying!

“...your memories will be modified and you'll forget all about this.” Minerva said.

“WHAT?!?” Harry yelled. “Why the bloody hell didn't you tell me that before you brought me here, you barmy old bat! I NEVER would have agreed to come here if you told me that!”

Minerva didn't respond and Harry got it. She knew he would react like that.

“You tricked me into coming here.” Harry said in understanding and looked back at the old man. “You trapped me and now I can't leave.”

Albus kept trying to dig into the boy's memories and it became harder and harder. The images started to blur and he found less and less things, then his probe seemed to hit a wall and nothing else could be gained, even with the wand's help.

“Come to my office and we can discuss this, my boy.” Albus said. He needed to get Harry alone to perform the more powerful version of the spell to peer into his mind.

“Boy?” Harry said and frowned at him as he made his hands into fists. “Did you just call me BOY?!?”

Albus wasn't sure why this had set Harry off until he heard a sigh from across the room. He glanced over at the Slytherin girl Harry was friendly with. Right on the surface of her mind was Harry's story about only being called boy and freak by his hated relatives.

“Answer me, old man!” Harry spat and grabbed the old man by his robes and shook him.

“Let him go!” Minerva said and waved her wand at Harry.

Harry grunted when he felt something strong hit his chest and arms to push him back. Instead of making him let go, the old man's robes tore instead. He now had two clumps of cloth in his hands and an angry old woman with her wand pointed right at his face.

“Go ahead and do it.” Harry said and glared at her as he dropped the torn pieces of robes to the floor. “I won't stay down for long. I never do. Then I'll come right back at you and you better be ready for it!”

The tension in the room rose to almost choking levels, then a calm old voice cut through it.

“I sincerely apologize, Harry. I misspoke when I said what I personally believe to be a term of endearment.” Albus said and put a hand on Minerva's arm to make her lower her wand. “Several mistakes have combined this evening to make this terrible situation go out of control. I take full responsibility for it.”

Harry opened his fists and looked at the old man. “You're responsible for my abusive relatives?”

A guilty look crossed both Albus' and Minerva's faces.

“Wait, you really are?” Harry asked, surprised. “You're why I had to live with my hate-filled uncle, aunt, and cousin?”

Albus sighed sadly. “Harry, it is a long and complicated story...”

His words were cut off when a fist that felt like steel crushed one of his cheeks, straightened his nose, and shattered his glasses and sent them flying across the Great Hall. Like Draco, Albus spun around comically several times before he fell to the stone floor on his back.

The entire Great Hall was deathly silent as Harry stood over the prone and bleeding form of the headmaster.

Harry's heavy breathing could be heard by everyone. “You are why I was beaten nearly every day? Why I had to cook, clean, and do chores since I was four? Why I was nearly killed dozens of times?”

The old man at his feet only groaned in pain. A woman dressed like an old-time nurse rushed over to him and knelt to examine him. She flicked her wand several times and she sighed in relief.

“He'll need some Skele-gro to replace his cheek; but, he'll be fine.” The woman said.

“I hope you've got a good doctor here.” Harry said, menacingly. “Because I'm going to make him suffer like I've suffered my whole life.”

“No, you will not!” Minerva said and raised her wand at Harry once more. “If you attack the headmaster again, I will expel you!”

Harry gave her a knowing smile. “You went through all the trouble to bring me here to trap me and force me to stay, and you think threatening me with expulsion is going to work? Are you an idiot?”

“Have... to... stay.” Albus groaned from the floor.

“You see? I'm not going anywhere.” Harry said and looked down at the old man. “I hope you are going to enjoy feeling pain as much as I did, you bastard. I'm going to give you every injury I've ever suffered at the hands of the people you put me with.”

“You will never be allowed near the headmaster ever again!” Minerva spat.

“Good luck trying to stop me, considering he tried twice already to get me alone.” Harry said to her and looked down at the old man again. “You reap what you sow.”

Albus looked into the eyes of the young man he had wronged, for a particular purpose, and saw nothing but contempt and hatred. He had wanted to be the man Harry would look up to for removing him from his relatives and now he was the man Harry looked down upon for putting him there in the first place. Albus had no idea how he was going to fix it, either.

With his mind probes being completely blocked, he would have to rely on Severus to try and suss out the boy's secrets during potions class. Meeting privately with Harry was no longer an option and neither was obliviating this whole thing from the boy's mind. Too many people had witnessed it for the obliviation to stick.

The slightly portly woman that was head of Hufflepuff House came over to the table. “Young man, I am the head of Hufflepuff, Professor Sprout. Would you please sit down and end this confrontation? You are delaying everyone from eating.”

Harry sucked in a sharp breath. “I'm sorry! I didn't mean to do anything like that! I would never want anyone to go without food like I did!”

Sprout put a comforting hand on his shoulder. “Then leave what happened here alone for now. Sit and enjoy a meal with your housemates.”

“Okay.” Harry said and looked at the students around him. “I'm sorry about that. I was just so angry at finding out who left me there that I stopped thinking and forgot everything else.”

Susan took his hand and smiled at him as she tugged on it to get him to sit. “I think a few of us would react the same way.”

Harry looked around and a couple of them nodded as he sat down and looked at Susan. “You lost your parents, too?”

“I lost my whole family. Parents, cousins, and grandparents. The only one left was my aunt and she took me in.” Susan said, her face sad.

“I'm so sorry.” Harry responded and gave her a quick hug. “I hope she's better than my aunt.”

Susan nodded. “She's wonderful and she raised me like I was her daughter. I couldn't have asked for anyone better.”

Harry smiled widely at her and Susan looked a little stunned at the change to his face. “I'm glad to hear that.”

Susan nodded again as someone else spoke.

“I lost my father.” The boy said and then other voices spoke.

“Uncle.”

“Mother.”

“Older brother.”

Harry gave each of them a sympathetic look. “I'm really sorry. Here I am, angry at losing my mum and dad, like I'm the only one.”

Susan's hand found his again. “We've all felt like that.”

Several of the others nodded.

Harry relaxed and ignored the people behind him as they picked up the old man and took him back to the head table. “So, what do you guys do for fun around here?”

Everyone around Harry exchanged looks and then seemed to shrug collectively.

“There's lots of little games we play to pass the time, like Exploding Snap.” Susan said.

“Gobstones. There's even a club at the school.” Hannah offered.

“Then there's Quiddich.” Ernie MacMillan said and a bunch of them nodded.

Harry was completely confused by the weird games. “Wow, I'm really out of it. What kind of words were those? I've never heard of them before.”

“Who doesn't know about Quiddich?” Zach asked, almost angrily.

“I literally just said me.” Harry said and picked up the pepper shaker. “Remember what I said before?”

Zach closed his mouth and crossed his arms, almost defiantly.

“Release the hostage, Harry.” Susan joked and took the pepper shaker from him. “I like pepper on my potatoes.”

Harry chuckled. “It was the closest metal thing that I could crush and not cause any lasting damage.”

“Do you do stuff like that a lot?” Hannah asked and reached over for the crumpled salt shaker.

“Nope, that was my first time.” Harry said and everyone looked surprised. “Even at the orphan halfway house, we're all respectful of each other, because we all know how we ended up there. We've got no one left in our families to take us.”

Susan gave his hand a squeeze and gave him a sad smile. “I'm sure things are going to get better.”

Harry smiled. “Well, you're the second pretty girl to hold my hand, so it's already been great so far.”

Susan blushed and her hand tightened in his. She didn't let go, though.

“Can you tell me about the game you mentioned?” Harry asked.

“Sure! Exploding Snap is a card game. The rules are pretty simple...” Susan said and then started to explain the rules and how the game progressed.

*

“Pomona, how did you do that?” Minerva asked as they sat Albus at the head table.

Albus waved his hand to start the feast. They could save the announcements for after the kids ate. Someone had retrieved his broken glasses and put them on the table and Madam Pomfrey continued to tend to his face and poured some Skele-gro into the wine Albus sipped from.

“It's a Hufflepuff trade secret.” Professor Sprout said with a smile as she sat down at her place at the table. She did not say it was not antagonizing a traumatized young man and to treat him kindly.

“Well, you keep doing that and maybe we can stop that horrible boy from killing the headmaster.” Minerva said as she sat between Pomona and Albus.

“I don't think he wants Albus dead.” Pomona responded and both Minerva and Albus looked at her. “I think he would have kept attacking if that were so. All he did was tell you that you were going to pay for what you did.”

“Albus, why did you do that?” Professor Vector asked. “You above all should know that muggles hate our kind.”

“Not all muggles do.” Albus said and evaded the question. He did not want to explain about everything that had happened.

“His relatives do.” Flitwick said. “Everyone in the Hall is talking about it.”

Albus sighed and started to pick at the softest food options on his plate. He did not feel like chewing with part of his cheekbone vanished. It would be back in a couple of hours, thanks to Madam Pomfrey.

“What do we do about this incident?” Minerva asked and started to eat her meal.

“I don't think there's anything we can do.” Albus said and looked over at Harry and his interactions with the Hufflepuffs. “He is quite right. We cannot force him to attend detention.”

“How else are we supposed to discipline him, then?” Minerva asked.

“Docking points would only hurt his host House and won't affect him much.” Professor Vector said and Pomona nodded to her in thanks. “Plus, it's telling that his robes and tie haven't changed to Hufflepuff colors.”

“The school magics haven't sorted him properly.” Albus said and didn't add that the hat could no longer read anything from Harry's mind. It wasn't until he remembered his own experience that he realized what had happened. Harry had felt the intrusion and instinctively fought against it, making him a natural Occlumens, or someone that could block people from reading their mind.

“How do we fix that?” Pomona asked and ate a particularly tasty piece of carrot. “Now that he's calmed down, he is getting along well with my Puffs.”

The other teachers listening in on their conversation turned to see Harry laugh and gestured with his fork, then the students around him laughed.

“I will work on the official sorting tonight and I will try to have a decision in a day or two.” Albus said, even though he wasn't sure how long it would actually take. “For now, he can attend classes with your first years.”

Pomona nodded and made a mental note to add Harry to her roll call.

*

“And this is where our common room is.” An unknown older girl with a badge on her robes said as she tapped several barrels in order to have the middle one open up to reveal the entrance. “We change the sequence every week, so keep an eye on the noticeboard for the new code.”

“Do you come up with them at random or do you have a set number of codes and just rotate through them?” Harry asked.

“Why do you want to know?” The older girl with a badge asked.

“It just sounds like a combination like on my locker at the halfway house. Only one will work to open it; but, there's fifteen lockers and each has a lock. If I knew them all, I could open all of the lockers without actually knowing what the real code was.”

Everyone stared at him as if he had two heads.

“Sorry. Just thinking out loud.” Harry said with a shrug.

The older girl gave him a searching look for a moment and then led the first years inside. It was a nice homey-feeling common room and she gave them a quick tour.

“Boys are on the left and girls are on the right. Since there's so few of you, we will split you up into pairs and assign rooms.”

Harry quickly counted and he was the fifth boy while there were four girls. Susan and Hannah immediately grabbed onto each other and almost squealed at being roommates while the other two girls kind of shrugged and stood together. Wayne Hopkins and Ernie MacMillan stood beside each other and Zachariah Smith went with Justin Finch-Fletchley.

The older girl gave them their room assignments and their names appeared on the doors. “You'll find your things have already been delivered to your rooms, so you can check them out now if you want. Come back here in twenty minutes for the House meeting with Professor Sprout.”

Harry put his hand up. “How do you tell time without a clock or a watch?”

“It's a simple spell called Tempus.” She said and gave him a quick lesson on how to cast it.

“That's not in the charms book.” Harry said as he cast the spell and it showed him the time on a floating clock face. It disappeared a second later.

“It's not. Your families should have taught you all about things like that while at home.” She said without thinking.

“That sucks for kids like me without a family, doesn't it?” Harry asked, his voice flat.

The prefect looked a little afraid and took a step back. The event in the Great Hall was fresh in her mind.

Susan reached over and took Harry's hand again. “Harry...”

“I guess that means I'm even farther behind you all than I knew.” Harry said with a sigh.

“I'll help you if you want.” Susan offered.

“Me, too!” Hannah said.

Harry couldn't stop his smile. “Thanks. Thanks a lot.”

“You know, playing the fake poor orphan routine is going to get old really fast.” Zachariah said.

Harry's fist shot out almost quicker than anyone could see and he punched the boy in the chest. Zach was flung several feet away and landed on the floor as he gasped for breath.

“How many times do I need to remind you?” Harry asked and walked over to him.

“Harry!” Susan gasped.

“I'm not going to hurt him.” Harry said and grabbed the boy by the shirt and lifted him with one hand off of the floor and up into the air as he shook him. “Shut up! Do you get it now? SHUT! UP!”

“Please let him go!” The prefect exclaimed and drew her wand.

Harry ignored her and lowered Zach to face level. “If you say one more thing to me or about me... and believe me, I'll know it if you do... you'll get the same as I gave the headmaster.”

Zach's face blanched and no one noticed the rest of Hufflepuff House coming into the common room.

“Do you understand now?” Harry asked and the boy nodded several times. “Good, because I'm upset, I'm tired, and I have had enough of idiots like you to last me for the rest of my life! STOP BLOODY PUSHING ME OR YOU'RE GOING TO REGRET IT!”

“What's going on here?” One of the older years asked and drew his wand.

“Zach couldn't keep his mouth shut.” Wayne said with a smile. “He will now.”

Everyone watched as Harry let the boy go and Zach dropped a couple of inches and stumbled.

“That's the last time I'm warning you.” Harry said and glared. “Now piss off and leave me alone!”

Zach ran for his room and didn't look back.

“Intimidation and threats are not very friendly.” A young woman's voice said.

Harry turned to look and saw it was the same fourth year named Beatrice. He walked over to her and a dozen wands were out of their hiding places and in people's hands. A few were even pointed at him. He smiled warmly at them and stopped two feet away from the girl who spoke.

“I'm only friendly to those that deserve it. I've had enough of people antagonizing me, poking at me, and call me names.” Harry said. “I've never had friends before and I didn't even know it was possible until I was removed from my relatives and met a couple at the halfway house. My cousin used to beat up anyone I tried to be friends with.”

Susan was suddenly there and held his hand as everyone's faces changed to show sympathy.

“I know there's lots of nice people around, because they actually help me and don't make things worse.” Harry said and smiled at everyone again. “I'm sorry about everything today, because all I wanted was to come to school, learn magic, and maybe make some friends.”

“I'm glad to hear that.” Pomona said from behind the crowd.

“Professor!” A bunch of the students gasped and split apart to allow her to pass by.

“I saw most of that.” Pomona said and walked over to Harry. “I do not approve of violence as a corrective measure.”

Harry had the grace to blush. “I'm sorry, professor. I didn't mean to be as bad as my cousin.” He ducked his head. “Zach reminds me of one of Dudley's gang that used to beat me up every day. He was a mean rat-faced boy named Piers Polkiss. He's in Juvie with Dudley now.”

“You've said that a couple of times now. What's juvie?” Susan asked.

“It's jail for kids.” Harry said and everyone in the room gasped. “Don't feel bad for them. They really, really deserved it. Really.”

Susan couldn't stop her giggle. “Really?”

“Really, really.” Harry said with a big grin.

“I should schedule a private session to teach you proper conflict resolution, just so you don't resort to violence every time someone makes a mean comment about you.” Pomona said and smiled. “There's some time between the end of classes tomorrow and supper. Can you come to my office and meet with me then? Cedric can show you the way.”

“Okay.” Harry said. “I really don't want to cause trouble.”

Pomona nodded and pat his shoulder briefly. “Why don't you go change for bed? The House meeting starts in a few minutes.” She said and looked around at everyone. “In fact, why don't you all get changed? You'll be more comfortable and it'll be for about half an hour.”

Everyone nodded and went to their rooms to change.

Pomona stood there and waited, happy that her technique to make things almost the student's ideas to get them to do what she wanted, worked like a charm. She almost laughed that Harry had no clue he was reporting for detention tomorrow.

It's all in the wording. Pomona said and smiled widely as her Puffs came back into the common room and found seats. She wasn't surprised that Susan had nestled Harry between herself and Hannah. “I want to welcome you all to Hufflepuff House. It is the home of the hard working and loyal...”

*

Harry entered the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom with Susan and almost gagged at the smell of garlic. He remembered spilling a container of garlic powder once and Petunia had shoved his face into it to make him remember to never do that again. Some had gotten up his nose and it burned. He also smelled it for weeks afterwards, even after washing his nose out as best as he could.

It didn't smell as bad as it did in this classroom and Susan had to pull him into the classroom and sat him down at the large desk. She sat on his right and Hannah sat on his left. Everyone else came in behind them, as did the Ravenclaws, and they all sat down with scrunched up faces as they looked around for the source of the smell.

Professor Quirrell came out of his office and the smell intensified slightly. “W-w-elcome to th-the D-d-defense Ag-g-gainst the D-dark Ar-r-rts.”

Harry gave Susan a pointed look and she shrugged.

“N-n-now th-the f-f-irst su-u-u-ubject we wu-wu-will be c-cov-ver-ring...”

Harry shook his head and stood up, grabbed his backpack that he hadn't even opened, and walked out of the classroom. Everyone watched him go, even the teacher. Quirrell had a slight scowl on his face.

Harry went right back to the Hufflepuff common room to wait out the class. He would have gone to the office; but, Cedric hadn't showed him where it was yet. He was told where it was, in the corridor with the other teacher's offices; but, not how to get there from the common room.

He sat there reading the Defense book for the rest of class and would occasionally cast the spells shown there. When it was time, he left the common room to meet up with Susan and Hannah before Transfiguration. Having people to rely on was a new feeling for Harry, especially since they were girls.

Harry met the two girls in the Entrance Hall and Susan gave him a pointed look. “I wasn't going to sit in that stinky classroom and not learn anything.”

“Harry...”

“I read three chapters of the book and cast the spells.” Harry said and her eyes widened. “If I keep doing that during that class, I'll be through the whole book in a couple of weeks.”

Susan sighed. “Harry, my aunt said they space out the spells like that to let our magic rest.”

“Huh? That doesn't make sense.” Harry said.

“What do you mean?” Hannah asked.

“If we only had one class, that would be a good reason.” Harry said as they followed the prefect to the Transfiguration classroom. “Instead, we have Charms, Transfiguration, and Defense classes that all use spells nearly every day. When's the magic supposed to rest? On the weekends? Aren't we supposed to practice spells on the weekends?”

Susan and Hannah both looked surprised.

“Sorry. Thinking out loud again.” Harry said as they entered the classroom. He didn't see the teacher, so he didn't have to confront her about the feast yesterday.

An old tabby cat on the teacher's desk put its ears back and opened its mouth slightly, as if to hiss.

Harry put his backpack on the closest desk and walked over to the cat. It actually did hiss at him and he chuckled as he scooped the thing up into his arms and hugged it.

“It's all right, kitty. I won't hurt you.” Harry said and the cat struggled and kept hissing. “Oh, hush!” He said and walked over to Susan as he dug his fingers under the cat's chin. “Hey, Susan. Do you know anyone that owns a cat?”

“No, why?” Susan asked and then noticed the thing in his arms.

“It was sitting on the desk when we came in, I figure it's waiting for someone.” Harry said.

“Aww, are you lonely?” Hannah asked it and scratched the cat's ears. It let out a reluctant purr and that set both Hannah and Susan to petting it enthusiastically to make it keep purring. Harry helped and kept scratching it under the chin.

When the classroom was filled with students, the cat really started to struggle.

“You better let it go, Harry. It's going to scratch you.” Susan warned him.

“She can't hurt me like that.” Harry said just as the cat swiped at his face and her claws raked across his cheek.

“I told you.” Susan said and took out a napkin to dab at the scratches on his face. “Put the cat down and let me see your face.”

Harry put the cat down and it took off out through the still open door of the classroom.

Susan moved to wipe at the blood on his cheek, only there was none. “Huh? I was sure she scratched you good.”

“She did.” Harry said with a smirk as the bell rang. “We better sit down.”

The three of them did so and Susan kept checking Harry's cheek by lightly caressing the smooth skin.

“All right, settle down.” Minerva said as she stormed into the classroom. She was irked that her big reveal of her Animagus transformation for the first class had been ruined by Harry Potter and she was really irked that her claws hadn't torn his cheek from his face for holding her, petting her, and making her actually purr.

Minerva glanced over to see if Susan had successfully staunched the blood flow from the deep furrows her very sharp claws must have caused, only to see Susan's fingertips gently caressing a completely healed cheek. She shook her head at that and focused on starting the lesson.

“Transfiguration is one of the most difficult aspects of magic.” Minerva said and then started the lecture. When she was done, she passed out the matchsticks and gave the detailed explanation of how to change the match into a needle.

After making them practice the wand movements and the incantation separately, she set them to work. She walked around the classroom and helped and observed the students, encouraged them, and finally made it to the front desk with Susan, Hanna, and Harry. The two girls had shocked expressions and she looked at Harry's needle. She was shocked as well.

“Mister Potter, what is that?” Minerva asked.

“It's a needle.” Harry said and picked it up to show her that the plunger worked and everything.

“No, that is a syringe.” Minerva said and transfigured Susan's match into a sewing needle. “This is a needle.”

“Ohhh, a sewing needle. Sorry.” Harry said and put the syringe down to cast the counterspell.

“STOP!” Minerva gasped and the whole class jerked at her yell and looked over. She picked up the syringe and produced another matchstick. “Do this one.”

Harry did so and created a sewing needle.

Minerva picked that up as well and could find no fault with either transfiguration. She was reluctant to praise him for it, though. “Mister Potter, assist Miss Bones and Miss Abbot.”

Harry shrugged and cast the counterspell on Susan's needle to make it a matchstick and saw that Hannah's was still a matchstick. “Okay, this is what you do.” He said and then explained how to properly visualize what you wanted to make the matchstick into.

Minerva couldn't help but be a little impressed by the boy's ability to convey exactly what was needed to achieve the proper result. She wasn't sure why he was so adept at doing that and asked when both Susan and Hannah had changed their matchsticks into needles.

“I've been daydreaming since I was a baby about someone rescuing me and giving me a whole new life.” Harry said and Susan made a sad sound and put an arm over his shoulder. “It's okay. Someone did. Miss Jensen.” He smiled warmly. “She still checks up on me every week.”

“Mister Potter, you cannot let muggles...”

“Hedwig delivers the letters to the Owl Post Office and they put it into the muggle mail for me.” Harry said and Minerva sighed slightly with relief. “I promised to keep her updated and the post office sends me any mail I'm sent in the muggle world, which is a lot for changing my legal guardian from my relatives to her.”

“Excuse me?” Minerva asked.

“Well, I can't be taken care of by convicts in prison, so she took over custody.” Harry said. “What's funny is that I've gotten a lot of mail after leaving my relatives and hadn't had one single letter for the whole time I lived there.”

A few people in the classroom made surprised sounds, including Susan.

“Huh? What is it?” Harry asked.

“You've never had any mail? Ever?” Susan asked, almost sadly.

“Not until my Hogwarts letter came, and that was by owl, so that doesn't count.” Harry said.

Susan's hand found his and she squeezed it. “As soon as I was old enough to write, I sent you a letter.”

Harry blinked his eyes at her for several seconds as he thought about it. “You did?”

Susan nodded. “I wanted to thank you for getting rid of You-Know-Who.”

“Me, too.” A girl from Ravenclaw said. “I even sent you my favorite hair bow.”

Harry turned to look at her. “What's your name?”

“Lisa. Lisa Turpin.” The girl responded.

Harry glanced at Susan and she let his hand go and nodded. He stood up and walked over to the Ravenclaw student's desk. “I'm sorry I never got your letter. Having something like that would have made me really happy.”

Lisa looked surprised at his words. “It... it was just a letter.”

Harry knelt beside her and gently took her hand. “You said it was your favorite bow. If it had come through, it would have been my very first present. That means a lot to me.”

Lisa blushed and seemed to be at a loss for words.

Harry let her hand go and stood up before he turned around.

“H-Harry.” Lisa said and he turned back to see her holding out another hair bow that she had just taken from her hair. It was blue and had held her hair back over her ear.

Harry gave her a very warm smile and accepted it. “Thank you, Lisa. Thank you very much.”

“You're welcome.” Lisa said and her blush didn't lessen.

“Now I kind of regret I buzzed my hair and can't wear it.” Harry joked and she laughed softly.

“That would be funny.” Lisa said and watched him walk back to his desk.

“Professor? Can you cast a sticking charm on this for me?” Harry asked and Lisa caught her breath.

“I don't approve of joking around in my class, Mister Potter.” Minerva said.

“No, miss. I'm sticking it to the front of my robes to show off a gift from a new friend. I'll take it off at the end of the day.” Harry said and Minerva applied the charm. He put it over his left pectoral and turned to show it to a still blushing Lisa before he sat down between Susan and Hannah again.

“All right, everyone. Back to work.” Minerva said and the class resumed.

“Good job, Harry.” Susan whispered.

“Thanks for telling me how and when to take someone's hand appropriately.” Harry whispered back.

“Only with girls.” Susan whispered with a smirk. “A guy will punch you if you try that.”

Harry clamped his mouth shut and barely held in his laugh. She saw him struggling and leaned against him a little, then went back to changing her matchstick to a needle.

*

“Welcome to Introduction to Herbology.” Pomona said as her Puffs and the Ravenclaws entered her teaching greenhouse, now that lunch was over. “I'm glad you all found the place without trouble.”

“We followed the smell of dragon dung.” One of the Ravenclaws said.

Pomona could tell from the girl's tone of voice that she wasn't joking. “Five points to Ravenclaw for detecting the specific pungent smell! Well done.”

The girl looked pleased and her friend beside her whispered something and they both smiled happily.

“Today we will be going over the necessary tools needed, the various manures, and the feeding habits of the more general plants.” Pomona said and several people groaned. “Now, now. It's not that bad. It's actually a little fun when you remember what fertilizer you need to make a perennial flower bloom with the brightest colors!”

The woman wasn't surprised that didn't get much of a reaction from anyone, until she saw Harry's odd expression.

“Mister Potter? Would you care to share one of your experiences?”

Harry looked a little confused until Susan whispered in his ear. “Oh! Okay.” He said and looked at the professor. “My aunt had me use MacDonald's Natural Fertilizer while I tended to her prized rose bushes. She won the neighbourhood competition two years in a row.”

Pomona was a little conflicted about the information she just received. She immediately discerned that Harry was forced to work in the garden and probably hated it; but, he was also accomplished because you don't get healthy and prized flowers from being sloppy or not knowing what you were doing. She just had to be careful of how she worded her response.

“That sounds like you did a lot of hard work to have entire rose bushes bloom consistently for two entire seasons without fail. Great job!” Pomona praised him and Harry looked shocked. “I hope you'll indulge an older woman as she teaches your classmates a few of the things that you've had a lot of experience with.”

Harry looked thoughtful. “You're not going to teach them the same way as I was, are you?”

Pomona knew how to respond to that and laughed loudly and jovially. “Only an idiot would ever try to teach someone like that!”

Harry grinned and nodded.

“I'm going to teach you all a few tips and tricks as we talk about working with plants. By the time the first month of classes are over, you'll be begging me to skip the introductions at the beginning of class, just so we can get to the real work!”

The Ravenclaws looked a little unsure and the Hufflepuffs looked quite happy. They weren't called hard working and loyal for no reason.

*

Harry sat down next to Susan at supper and she gave him a pointed look. “What?”

“Don't leave me in suspense! How did it go?” Susan asked.

Harry chuckled and pulled a little book out of his backpack. “We talked a lot about fighting and when it's appropriate and when it's not. She gave me that to read and it's about negotiation and compromise.”

“That doesn't really sound helpful.” Hannah said.

“I've been kind of using it without knowing I was.” Harry admitted as he put some food on his plate. “It's neat to do something you didn't realize you were doing and also do it right.”

“Wait, what?” Susan asked, a little confused.

Harry explained about how he had brought a resolution to several conflicts by negotiation and compromise, then reminded them of his confrontations with Zachariah Smith.

“Wow, crushing the salt really applies like that?” Hannah asked as Susan flipped through the book.

“Yep! Neat, huh? Resolving a conflict by example and not hurting anyone. Page thirty-two.” Harry said and both girls dove through the book. “I just need to learn to not do too much of the... what was it she said... thom... theot... oh! Theatrics! That's it.”

“It means showing off, in case you're wondering.” Cedric said with a chuckle.

“Yeah, she said that I don't need the extra attention because I get enough of that already.” Harry said.

“That's because everyone stares at big oafs to make fun of them properly.” A boy's voice said from behind them.

Harry partially turned as he reached back for the boy's robes and yanked him forward to slam his face into the table. “I was wondering when the blond bully of Slytherin was going to come for me again.”

“Harry!” Susan said and held up the book.

Harry smiled. “I know.” He said and used his free hand to turn Draco's face towards him. “You have two choices. You can continue to try to antagonize me or I can break your wand arm every single time you come near me.”

“You can't threaten me! When my father hears about this, you're going to pay!” Draco said, angrily.

“I can break his arm, too.” Harry offered and stood as he used his free hand to grab Draco's right arm and put it behind his back to hold him down.

Crabbe and Goyle took a step forward.

“I've got nothing against you two. Don't make me hurt you.” Harry said and the two large boys exchanged looks. “I knocked you both out with one punch. What do you think I'll do to you if I actually fight you?”

Both boys took a step back.

“You're smart guys.” Harry said, to their surprise. He looked down at Draco. “So, what will it be, Malfoy? Leave me alone or constantly have your arm broken?”

“You can't do this to me!” Draco spat.

Harry slowly moved the arm up and Draco cried out in pain. “You're not such a big bully now, are you? That's barely any pressure.”

“Let me go!” Draco exclaimed.

“Give me your word...”

“A wizard's oath!” Someone shouted.

“Give me a wizard's oath that you, your friends, and people you ask, threaten, or pay, won't ever come after me and will leave me alone.” Harry said and pulled on the arm a little more.

“AHHH! Someone get this nutter off of me! He's killing me!” Draco shouted.

Not one person moved or said anything, which was proof of how much people hated Slytherins.

The dark haired man that was the potions professor quickly strode up the aisle between the tables. “Release Mister Malfoy at once, Potter!”

“Of course, professor.” Harry said and let the boy go. “I'll just wait until he tries to ambush me in the halls later to make him give the oath. You won't be around then to protect only him.”

“Excuse me?” The greasy haired man asked.

“You didn't come over until Malfoy was losing, which means that you and all of the teachers here, approve of verbal and physical abuse of children as long as it doesn't get out of hand.” Harry said.

There were a lot of surprised sounds from the people in the Great Hall.

“My psychologist calls it apathy or bystander apathy. You are all perfectly fine standing by and watching it happen, as long as it doesn't involve you. You also won't interfere until you think you absolutely have to.”

Severus Snape looked surprised that Harry had so accurately guessed what he had done.

“Well, I'm not like you. If someone tries to bully someone, I will do something about it.” Harry said and pointed at Malfoy. “Do you really think I'm the only one he's picking on? It's the first bloody day and I bet he's already make a girl cry and had these two rough someone up for him.”

Crabbe and Goyle looked guilty and Malfoy looked a little smug.

“You have just earned a detention with me scrubbing cauldrons in the dungeons.” Snape said.

“Here that, Malfoy? You just got detention.” Harry said.

“I was talking to you, Potter!”

“Why? I wasn't bullying another student.” Harry responded.

“We all saw you hold a student down and threatened to break his arm.” Snape said with a snarl.

Harry gave him a calculating look. “I guess I better earn the detention then.”

“No!” Susan gasped.

Before anyone could stop Harry, Malfoy's right arm was bent the wrong way and the blond boy screamed in pain.

“Maybe next time he'll think about picking on someone that can fight back.” Harry said.

“His father will see you expelled for this!” Snape spat at him.

“Nope, not going to happen. The headmaster needs me here for some reason, otherwise I'd be gone already.” Harry said.

Madam Pomfrey rushed over to check Malfoy and sighed in relief. “It's only dislocated.”

“Of course it is.” Harry said and she gave him a pointed look. “There's a huge difference between only causing someone pain and really wanting to hurt them.”

The woman's look changed to a searching one.

“I learned a lot about how the body works while my uncle tortured me.” Harry said and felt Susan take his hand as he looked at Draco. “I know exactly how to cause someone an immense amount of pain with almost no effort.”

Draco's face didn't have any color left to drain, because he was already pale, so he fainted instead.

Madam Pomfrey already had a stretcher created and easily put him on it, secured his arm, and left the Great Hall.

“Come with me.” The potions professor said and I gave a reassuring smile to Susan before I followed the man out of the Great Hall. “You have created a great enemy for yourself this day.”

“If that was true, Malfoy would have enemies all over the place.” Harry said and the professor didn't speak again until they entered a dark room in the dungeons.

“The cleaning supplies are in the cupboard. Start scrubbing.” Snape said and pointed at the cupboard and then the piles of dirty cauldrons.

“Are they actually potions cauldrons?” Harry asked and retrieved the cleaning supplies he recognized, or at least looked similar to the ones he had used at Privet Drive.

“Yes, now stop talking and get to work!” Snape spat.

“Did you decontaminate them yet? The book said you need to soak them in something called a new... notra...”

“Neutralizer.” Snape finished for him.

“Yeah, that.” Harry said.

“They are basic potions and there is little danger.” Snape said.

Harry hadn't missed the 'little danger' and not 'no danger'. He walked over to the door and it slammed closed.

“Where do you think you're going?”

“I'm going to get my dragonhide gloves. I'm not touching pots with whatever is in them.” Harry said.

“You don't need gloves.” Snape said and pointed at the pots. “Get to work!”

Harry knew then that the man wanted him to be hurt as he washed the dirty cauldrons. “Do you get off on hurting people?”

“ExCUSE me?” Snape snarled and glared at him.

“It's obvious you want me to put my bare hands into contaminated cauldrons on purpose. You don't care if I actually clean them, do you? You just want to see me suffer.”

Snape's eyes squinted at him. “Are you refusing to do such a simple job? Are cleaning pots too beneath you?”

It was Harry's turn to glare at him. “I've been scrubbing pots and pans since I was six! I've cleaned until my hands were torn and bloody!”

There was a brief bit of happiness that appeared on Snape's face as a wand appeared in his hand.

Harry felt a sharp pain in his forehead and he cried out for a moment. A quick tingle of magic later, and Harry walked over to Snape and smashed his fist into the man's face and threw him backwards into the wall, his nose crushed.

“What did you just do to me, you asshole!” Harry asked and stalked over to him.

“Sectum...HURK!” Snape choked as Harry grabbed his throat and his hand. Two quick squeezes had the man choking for air and his wand was snapped.

“The last person to make me feel pain like that is serving thirty years in prison.” Harry said with a growl. “Answer me!”

Snape just tried to draw breath and wouldn't answer.

“Maybe I'll use your face as a scrub brush.” Harry said and carried the struggling man over to the stacks of cauldrons. He put some water into the first pot and shoved Snape's face into it.

“AHGGLL!” Snape gurgled his yell of surprise.

Harry pulled the man's face out of the cauldron. “What did you do?”

“N-nothing!” Snape spat.

Harry put water in each pot and dunked Snape's face into each of them. By the time he was done 'scrubbing' the cauldrons, Snape's face was barely recognizable. It was covered in boils, welts, wiggling worms, pieces of bug shells, and a green fungus that had attached to his eyebrows.

“I thought you said there was little danger, professor?” Harry asked and dropped the man on the floor by the door.“Do you have anything to say for yourself?”

“Make... pay.” Snape mumbled.

“Yes, you'll pay if you come after me.” Harry said and kicked him in the chest.

Snape flew across the room and slammed into the potions cabinet. The glass doors shattered, as did a bunch of the containers, and Snape fell to the floor as the various ingredients poured over him. The man yelled and tried to pull at his clothing and face to stop the ingredients from interacting with each other.

“It was a pleasure serving detention with you, professor. I look forward to the next time.” Harry said and tried to open the door. It was locked, so he kicked at the door handle and his foot went right through it. “Oh, yeah. The door swings inwards.”

Harry gripped the door through the hole he had made and pulled. The door made a cracking sound and then swung open unhindered. He closed it behind him, or tried to. It just kind of hung there and couldn't be secured, so he left it and went to the Hufflepuff common room.

“You were gone a while.” Susan said when he entered.

Harry walked over to her and sat down between her and Hannah. “The professor had a lot of cauldrons to clean.” He said and then thought of something. “Wait, how does he have dirty cauldrons? We all have to bring our own and clean them.”

“Hey, I never thought of that.” Hannah said and leaned against him as she looked at his dirty hands. “That looks painful. Shouldn't you clean up or something?”

“Good idea.” Harry said and reached over to pat her hand and then stopped as he chuckled. “Oops! I almost made a mistake. Be right back.”

After a quick scrubbing, Harry was back with his two friends and they went over everything they did that day to compete their homework. They never waited until the weekend to do it, so Harry quickly adopted the same practice. He knew from personal experience that hard work could be its own reward. That he was forced to work that hard by Petunia didn't matter.

It was thanks to Pomona's praise earlier that day that he started to rethink about all of the things he could do. He really did know a lot about what Pomona had taught during class and he had been surprised that it really was a little enjoyable to do it on his own. The ten points he had earned for Hufflepuff gave him a sense of accomplishment, too.

Harry went to bed in his single room that night with his mind going over everything. His cooking skills, his cleaning skills, and his gardening skills. A lot of them could be adapted for use in the magical world. His gardening skills for Herbology, his cooking skills for potions, and his cleaning skills for maintaining his things and probably for detentions.

He drifted off to sleep with a smile on his face as he thought about how he had cleaned up with the potions professor. He doubted he could get away with it more than once or twice, though.

*

Harry was woken by a knock on his door.

“Mister Potter, please get dressed and meet me in the common room.” Pomona's voice said through the door.

“Okay! Give me a few minutes.” Harry said and rolled out of bed. He stripped off and quickly dressed in the Hufflepuff colors and left his plain black robes in his trunk. He left his room and went out to the common room.

Pomona waved at the exit and Harry followed her through the castle and up several floors to a large stone gargoyle. “Jawbreakers.”

The gargoyle slid aside and revealed a moving staircase. They hopped on and Harry stared at the thing as they rode it up to the top. He'd been on an escalator before and this was the first magical one he had seen and it was circular!

Pomona smiled at him and put a hand on his shoulder as they reached the top. They could hear shouting voices and Pomona didn't bother knocking as she opened the door and ushered Harry through it and closed it behind her before she brought him over to the large ornate desk.

“Ah, Harry my bo...”

“ALBUS!” Minerva yelled and interrupted him before he could say that particular trigger word.

Albus gave her a surprised look and then realized what he was about to say. “Thank you, Minerva.”

Minerva nodded and her eyes went back to the two irate men in the office.

“I want him expelled right this minute!” A tall blonde man exclaimed. “He intentionally hurt my son and he is a danger to the other students and even the teachers!”

Snape tried to scowl and couldn't through the bandages on his face. “He is a menace and out of control. My classroom is a mess because of him and I've lost hundreds of galleons in potions ingredients, not to mention the ruined cauldrons!”

Harry chuckled and everyone turned to look at him. “It's funny because I used his face to clean them. If they are actually ruined, it was because of his face.”

“You see! He admitted he assaulted me!” Snape spat.

“You hurt me first when you used your wand on me.” Harry said and pointed at his forehead. “You made me scream out in pain and I hit you to stop you. I used you as a scrubbing brush because you wouldn't tell me what you did to hurt me.”

Pomona knew what Harry was saying, because of his explanation of causing pain and hurting someone. “We can easily check the wand for the last spell.”

“He broke my wand.” Snape said and they all gasped.

“What is it?” Harry asked.

“It's a high insult to break the wand of a wizard.” Pomona whispered.

“Really?” Harry asked and she nodded. “Cool.”

“This is serious, my bo...” Albus started to say.

“ALBUS!” Minerva yelled again to stop him.

Albus sighed. He needed to find some other term of endearment to use to try and sway the boy.

“Headmaster, you need to act!” The blond man said.

“I did warn him to leave me alone several times.” Harry said. “He keeps coming after me. I told him this last time that if anyone else comes after me for him bullying me, which is what you're doing right now, every time he comes near me I'm going to break his arm again.”

“You are a rabid dog and should be put down!” The blond man shouted at me.

“Mister Malfoy!” Minerva gasped.

Harry walked over to him and looked up at his face. “Malfoy said his father would make me pay for not letting him bully me. I told Malfoy that I'd break your arm, too. Do you want me to do that?”

“Harry, that's not helping.” Pomona said.

“No, I think it is.” Harry said as he looked into the man's eyes. “He's as big of a coward as his son and only picks on those he believes are weaker than him. Because I don't have parents to fight for me, he has a better chance to get rid of me.”

“Harry.” Pomona put her hand on his shoulder. “Step back. Don't escalate things.”

“It's okay, Professor. I'm not. He can't hurt me and he can't get me expelled. He has no power over me at all.” Harry said.

That made the man angry and he reached for his cane.

Harry was much faster than him and plucked it right out of his hand. “I've had enough canes to the head, thank you.”

The sound of the crack was quite loud in the office and Harry gave the man the two pieces back.

“I know I should have let you attack me; but, I'm not stupid. You could get lucky and hurt me like the potions professor did and I can't allow that to happen.” Harry said and stepped back to look at the headmaster. “I won't suffer any more because of you.”

Albus sighed again. “It was nothing more than a schoolyard altercation. No harm was done.”

“He broke my son's arm.” The blond said, his voice weak as he stared at the broken cane in his hands.

“It was only dislocated and was easily fixed, despite it being quite painful.” Albus said.

“That was the point.” Harry said.

“Harry, please be quiet.” Pomona said and he nodded.

“I will petition the other members of the school board about this.” The blond man said.

“You can do that, as is your right as a member of the school board. I doubt it will have any effect.” Albus said. “The boy-who-lived must remain in school.”

The blond man frowned at being openly defied and gave a glare to the boy. “This isn't over.”

“That's the problem with bullies. They think the rules don't apply to them and no matter how many times they are bested, they think they can intimidate me and get revenge.”

“Harry...” Pomona started to say.

“I read the book, professor. I know what I'm doing.” Harry said and looked into the blond man's eyes. “You might believe you're justified in whatever you plan to do, so I just want you to know one thing.”

“What's that, you little insect?” The blond man asked.

“Your precious little bully is going to spend seven very long years as my classmate. What do you think I can do to him in all that time, if I can break his arm in less than an instant? How much time does he have to spend in the hospital wing for you to understand that you can't bully me any more than he can?”

“How dare you threaten...”

“It's not a threat. I fully expect him to ambush me in the halls after he digs up enough courage to hit me in the back, so I'll only be defending myself.” Harry said.

The man's face showed that he knew his son would do just that.

“I'll do his arm again, as I promised, because the word of a wizard is a solemn one.” Harry said and the man looked surprised. “Every single time Malfoy approaches me, he forfeits his wand arm. Both he and you have been warned. I bear no responsibility for either of your actions.”

Silence fell in the office after Harry's declaration.

Harry looked to the headmaster once more. “Is that it? Can I go now? I'm going to be late for Charms.”

Albus nodded and Pomona let his shoulder go. Harry didn't look at anyone as he left the office and rode the stairs down in the other direction.

Pomona shut the door and went back over to the headmaster's desk and gave each of them a glare.

Malfoy didn't have to take that, or so he thought. When he tried to move, there was a wand pointed at him. “What are you doing?” He asked politely, because his wand was currently in two pieces because it had been inside his cane.

“You are all idiots for calling him here! You know he's unstable and can snap at anyone at any time!” Pomona almost shouted as she reminded them of the current reality. “Any provocation will set him off! He can break arms and not feel guilty about it! He can punch the headmaster and he feels it's justified!”

“Pomona, calm down.” Minerva said to try and placate her.

“Shut up!” Pomona spat at her and Minerva was shocked. “He's a Puff now and I'm going to defend him to my fullest extent! If anything else happens, I'm holding you all responsible and I will NOT bring him to this office for something so goddamn stupid as threatening an expulsion he KNOWS you can't do to him!”

The four other occupants of the office stared at the plump woman as she breathed heavily. She fully resembled the badger that represented Hufflepuff House.

“Get it through your thick heads right now! That boy needs a FIRM and GENTLE hand! He's had enough of threats, goads, and punishments! He WILL retaliate however he sees fit, now that he can!” Pomona said and put her attention on Lucius. “As for you, you better get your son to leave him alone, unless you want little Draco to be humiliated during every single opportunity he's going to take to bully Potter!”

“The affairs of my family are not your concern.” Lucius said.

“They are when they are harassing one of my Puffs! The next time he comes near Harry, he'll have a broken arm, lose twenty points, and gain a week of detentions. The next time, it'll be a broken arm, fifty points, and a month of detentions.” Pomona said. “I doubt the headmaster would let me expel the little bully, so he'll get more and more detentions and points losses that will rival the Weasley Twins!”

“You can't do that!” Lucius exclaimed.

“I can and I will.” Pomona said. “Slytherin will be at the bottom of the points total for the entire year because of Draco. How will all his classmates view that? His entire house? How will his job prospects look when they see his disciplinary records with so many detentions?”

Lucius closed his mouth and knew that this woman had a valid point. She could ruin Draco's future and it would be perfectly legal and well within the school's rules.

“I leave it up to you to make it clear to your son that messing with Harry Potter is a mistake.” Pomona said and lowered her wand as she looked at the headmaster. “If you antagonize him like this again, or put him in a harmful situation, I might not hold him back anymore.”

“You can't threaten the headmaster!” Minerva exclaimed.

“Like Harry said, it's not a threat. It would only be me not interfering.” Pomona said with a smile. “I wonder what he would have done to you all this morning if I hadn't been here to stop him?”

The looks on their faces was all she could have hoped for.

“Have a good day.” Pomona said in a cheery voice and left the office.

*

“Harry, you can't skip potions class.” Susan said as she gathered up her cauldron and things.

“Professor Sprout told me to not interact with him, because it will only cause another incident.” Harry said and put his finished homework away. “You both know he's going to pick on me and make fun of me if I'm there.”

Hannah and Susan sighed and nodded. They finished packing for class and picked up their things.

“I'm going for a walk down by the lake.” Harry said. “I haven't been out of the castle all week.”

“The flying lesson and being at the greenhouses three times doesn't count?” Hannah asked.

“We barely left the ground on those old brooms and going to the greenhouses are still classes inside the castle grounds, so no.” Harry said and walked with them out of the girl's room. They had spent the whole morning doing homework, practising spells, and talking.

“Hey, how did you get in there?” A male prefect asked Harry.

“What do you mean?” Harry asked.

“The boys are supposed to set off the alarm when they enter the girl's dorm hallway.”

“Maybe Harry counts as a girl.” Susan joked.

“Hey!” Harry exclaimed and the two girls laughed.

“I'll have to bring this up with the Head of House.” The prefect said with a bit of a glare.

“Whatever.” Harry said and looked at Susan and Hannah. “See you later.”

“Bye!” They said as one and then went off down into the dungeons as Harry went up to the main floor and crossed the crowded Entrance Hall to go out the large oak doors.

“Potter.” A boy wearing greenish robes said and nodded to him.

Harry nodded back and then two more boys did the same. One older girl gave him an appraising look and winked at him as he reached the doors. He wasn't sure what was going on, considering they were all Slytherin students. He was sure that he would be ostracized by them after the confrontations with Snape, Malfoy, and his father.

Maybe it's because I'm wearing jeans and a t-shirt and not robes? Harry asked himself.

“Are you enjoying your new notoriety?” A familiar female voice said when he stepped outside.

Harry turned and saw Millicent sitting on the stone steps with two other girls. “Hi, Millie! I haven't seen you all week!”

“That's because the powers that be have scheduled us with the stupid Griffindors for nearly every class.” One of the girls said. She had short dark hair and a sour expression on her face.

“Tracey's right. I swear the headmaster wants us fighting all the damn time.” A pretty blonde girl said.

“Of course he does, Daphne. It keeps the Griffindors focused on hatred and bigotry and they can be easily trained to attack.” Tracey said. “It's a classic brainwashing strategy. Immerse someone into a particular environment and treat them a certain way for an extended period of time. When they emerge, they are prepped and ready for whatever tasks they are needed for.”

Millie sucked in a sharp breath. “Harry! She didn't mean...”

Harry put a hand on her shoulder and she closed her mouth. “She's right. My psychologist said the same thing. It's why I try so hard to not do anything that's close to the same thing that I went through back at my uncle's house.”

“You mean like McGonagall ordering you around as if she owned you?” Daphne asked.

“Yeah, like I said before, she acted exactly like my muggle aunt. Stern, prim, and proper until you defy her, then she's angry, mean, and vindictive.” Harry said and looked back at Millie. “That thing you said to get my attention? What's notoriety mean?”

“Popular for a less than stellar reason.” Daphne said. “In your case, punching the headmaster's face in, in the middle of the Great Hall in front of hundreds of witnesses, and getting away with it.”

“He even apologized to you for it and didn't punish you! It was awesome!” Tracey exclaimed.

Harry chuckled. “It felt good, too.”

“I bet.” Millie said and then had a slightly worried look on her face. “Malfoy's been terrible lately.”

“Is he near here? I'll break his arm again.” Harry offered as he glanced around.

“He's been safely tucked into his dorm room ever since he had a visit from his father. The screaming match they had echoed throughout the common room.” Daphne said with a smile. “It was quite entertaining.”

“She had to hold my mouth shut to stop me from laughing!” Tracey said.

“Now all he does is complain and bitch about not taking revenge on you.” Millie said. “He's already approached a few of the upperclassmen to do it for him.”

Harry gave her a slight smirk. “No one wants to take him up on the offer?”

“Not yet. When the price gets high enough, someone will accept.” Daphne said. “Be prepared for it.”

Harry did what he did with Lisa Turpin in class. He knelt beside Daphne and gently took her hand. “Thank you for the warning.”

Daphne blushed a little. “If what you said at the sorting is true, I'm actually helping a potential classmate.” She said and looked down at her hand. “In more polite settings, a light kiss to the back of the hand is appropriate.”

“It is? Susan didn't mention that.” Harry said and lifted Daphne's hand to press his lips to her soft skin for several seconds. “Like that?”

Daphne blushed and nodded.

“Thanks for letting me know. All this wizard interaction stuff is a little confusing.” Harry said and let her hand go as he stood. “I was going to go for a walk down by the lake. Do you want to come with me?”

“I would like that.” Daphne said and stood.

“Millie? Tracey?” Harry asked.

“Meh. I'm not much of a walker.” Millie said with a shrug.

“I don't want to interfere on your very first date!” Tracey practically shouted with a huge grin on her face.

“Huh?” Harry asked, confused.

“Tracey!” Daphne gasped.

“What? He asked to spend some time with you. That's a date!”

“You didn't have to say it so loudly!” Daphne countered. “Everyone's looking at us!”

“What's the problem with that? They're gonna see you walking toward the lake anyway.” Tracey said.

Daphne sighed with a shake of her head and turned towards Harry. “Let's just ignore her and go.”

Harry nodded and the pair walked down the rest of the steps and then took a sharp turn onto a well-worn path to take them down to the lake. They remained silent until they reached the edge of the water.

“Can I ask you a question without sounding stupid?” Harry asked.

Daphne smiled slightly. “I suppose it depends on the question.”

“I've never been on a date before. What am I supposed to do?”

Daphne was a little surprised to hear that. Even though they were both only eleven, her mind had assumed that the savior of the wizarding world had gone out with someone. She herself had gone to several balls and important gatherings since she was little... and then she remembered that Harry had spent his childhood with abusive muggles and didn't know anything about polite society.

“I think I have quite a lot to teach you, Potter.” Daphne said as she took his hand.

An hour later, Millicent and Tracey laughed as a slightly blushing Daphne and a goofy-grinning Harry came back to the front steps of the castle, hand-in-hand.

“I don't have to ask what just happened!” Tracey said with a knowing smile.

“It was my first date! It was awesome!” Harry said and his goofy grin didn't lessen at all. “The kiss at the end was the best ever!”

Daphne's slight blush became a full one. “I was just showing him what the whole thing was.”

Tracey almost tackled her as she hugged her. “Tell us everything!”

“I can do better than that, now that I know what to do.” Harry said and held a hand out to Millie. “I know you don't like walking, so how about we go down to the pumpkin patch and look at the animals in the pen?”

Millie blinked her eyes for several seconds. “Wh-what?”

Harry chuckled and took her hand that hadn't reached for his. “Come on! I can't wait to spend some time with my friend!”

A fairly stunned Millie was pretty much dragged off towards Hagrid's hut.

“He's not going to do what I think he's going to do, is he?” Tracey asked, surprised.

Daphne opened her mouth to respond and then sighed. “I think I just made a huge mistake.”

“What? Why?” Tracey asked. “I thought you were claiming the Boy-Who-Lived?”

“I... may have... taken things a little too casually.” Daphne said. “Harry has the impression that it's okay to date the people he likes.”

“What's wrong with that?” Tracey asked.

“If him taking Millie for a walk is any indication, he thinks dating itself is casual.”

Tracey gave her a surprised look for a moment, then she laughed. “That's not a mistake! That's going to be hilarious!”

Daphne shook her head. “I'll have to correct him when he comes back.”

“Why?” Tracey asked.

“He might think it's casual; but, the girls he dates won't think so.” Daphne said.

“Oh, I know! That's the funny part! The fallout!” Tracey said with a laugh.

“You are a malicious person, Tracey Davis.” Daphne commented.

“I am in Slytherin.” Tracey said with a smug look.

Sure enough, Daphne's words were proven true when a happy Harry and a severely blushing Millie came back up to the castle steps.

“You should have seen Millie! She killed six rats with a shovel and didn't hit Hagrid's prized pumpkins even once! It was awesome!” Harry exclaimed and Millie blushed even more, if that was possible.

Daphne grabbed Harry's hand and pulled him off to the side and quickly tried to explain the difference between what he thought and what others were going to think.

“Oh, I got that. Don't worry.” Harry said and Daphne looked surprised. “I like a few girls and I have no problem telling them that.”

“But...”

“It's okay! I know. We're too young.” Harry said and stepped close to look into her eyes. “You're really pretty and you gave me my very first kiss. That means a lot to me, now that I know what it means.”

“Harry...” Daphne started to say and then he hugged her and his lips were on hers briefly.

“Thanks a lot, Daphne. You're the best.” Harry said and she blushed. “I better go and read the potion for today. I can't slack off too much if I'm going to keep skipping class.”

“You're supposed to be in class?” Tracey asked.

“Yep!” Harry said and let Daphne go. “See you later, Millie!”

“B-b-bye.” Millie stammered.

The three girls watched Harry enter the castle and their minds whirled with the thoughts of what just happened. Daphne because she was still sure that she made a mistake, Millie because she just had her first kiss with the handsomest boy she had ever met, and Tracey because she wouldn't have minded having a date and forgot to ask for one.

*

Penelope Clearwater, fifth year Prefect for Griffindor, was not having a good day. She had been tasked on her afternoon off to somehow track down and find a wayward student that wasn't in class. She had spent most of her time searching the castle, to no avail. She was about to give up when she literally walked right into him.

She bounced off and flailed as she fell backwards, then a firm hand caught her wrist and she was suddenly taken into a tender hug. Startled by her near fall, she shivered as she stared down into the bright emerald green eyes of her target and she didn't know what to say.

“I'm sorry! Are you okay?” Harry Potter asked her. “I was in a bit of a rush and I wasn't watching where I was going.”

Penelope blinked her eyes at him. He was a little taller than the other eleven year old kids she knew from her own house and his arms were surprisingly muscular. In fact, her hands were lightly rubbing his upper arms without her realizing it.

“I think I'm okay.” Penelope whispered and then she remembered her assigned task. “Potter, I've been looking all over the castle for you.”

“You weren't going to find me until now, because I was outside on a date!” Harry said with a grin.

“You... you skipped class to go on a date?” Penelope asked, surprised. In the back of her mind, she had to admire the gall to do that.

“Nah, I skipped because I was told by my head of house to avoid Professor Snape and not cause another incident.” Harry said. “Going on a couple dates just happened when I went for a walk.”

“A... a couple?”

“Yeah! My first one was with Daphne down by the lake... I mean Greengrass. I need to remember to only use last names, even when referring to friends. She told me to only use first names when they agree and only in private.” Harry said. “My second date was with Bulstrode down at the pumpkin patch.”

Penelope was a little stunned to hear that he had two dates, with two different witches, in one afternoon. “Are you becoming a little Casanova already, Potter?”

“What's that mean?” Harry asked.

“A Casanova is a wizard that dates a bunch of witches, seduces them, and has many lovers.” Penelope said.

There were a couple new words in that sentence and Harry only understood the first half of it.

“Well, I did date Daphne and Millie, and I was going to ask Susan out after class.” Harry said, to her surprise.

“You really...” Penelope shook her head. “Now that I've found you, I'm supposed to take you to class.”

“I can't go against my head of house. She's the only one here that treats me right.” Harry said.

Penelope took a deep breath and felt her chest press into the upper part of Harry's chest. She tried to ignore how nice it felt. “That puts me into a bit of a tight spot. I don't know what to do with you now.”

Harry looked thoughtful for a moment. “About what you said before? I know what to do on a polite date; but, I don't know what seduce means.”

“A polite date?” Penelope asked as her hands kept rubbing his arms. “Can you explain that?”

“Sure! Daphne told me all about it.” Harry said and started to explain.

“Not here. Let's go in there to talk and get out of the hallway.” Penelope said and brought him inside a nearby empty classroom and slipped off her outer robes to leave her in just a blouse and skirt. She took him into another hug almost automatically and she wasn't sure why she did that, until his warm arms enveloped her once more and his thin t-shirt proved to only be a flimsy barrier.

“Okay, tell me all about this polite dating thing.” Penelope said and Harry did so as her hands roamed from his arms to his back and held him.

Ten minutes later, Penelope was softly laughing at Harry's ideas of a polite date and how they ended.

“Harry, Harry, Harry. You really don't know anything more about it, do you?” Penelope asked and he shook his head. “Well, we've got another hour before class ends. Do you want me to tell you why actual dates are different from the squeaky clean pureblood version you've already learned?”

“Actual dates?” Harry asked.

“Yes, you are not limited by what the posh rich do on their dates.” Penelope said and waved at a couple of chairs. “Let's sit down and I'll fill you in on what fifteen year old girls expect from you.”

Harry let her go and she shivered a little. “Are you cold?”

“A little. You're hugs are nice and warm.” Penelope said and she sat down on a chair.

Harry pushed a chair next to hers and sat down, too. He put his arm around her and Penelope smiled at him before she started to explain what 'real' dates were and what to expect, what to do, and what a girl he liked would want him to do, as long as he respected her.

Forty-five minutes later, Penelope was on his lap and was teaching him how to properly kiss. Her blouse was open and she had his hand dug into her bra and whispered between kisses what to do to make her feel good. The soft firmness was very warm in his hand and the pokie part made her whimper when he played with it.

Harry's mind was a little blown by what a girl would want on dates when they were older. Kissing was a whole heck of a lot different, too. Penelope said it was called snogging when you were making out like this and he would have to remember that. It was the best!

The bell rang throughout the castle and Penelope jerked and almost jumped out of Harry's lap. She broke the kiss and stared into the bright emerald green eyes of the boy she just snogged the hell out of for fifteen minutes.

“We have to go.” Penelope whispered and tried not to blush as Harry carefully took his hand out of her bra. “Harry...”

“Thanks a lot for teaching me so much. It was really fun!” Harry said. “My first snogging!”

Penelope laughed softly as she buttoned up her top and then stood up. “It was one to remember, that's for sure.”

Harry took her hand and kissed the back of it. “Thank you very much, Penelope. It means a lot to me.”

Penelope blushed a little. “You're welcome... and you are never to tell anyone about it.”

Harry gave her a calculating look. “Why?”

Penelope slipped on her robes and secured them, then she took him into an embrace to lightly kiss him. “Because having a fifteen year old teaching an eleven year old what I just taught you, might not be seen as appropriate.”

Harry didn't lose calculating look. “Was that all you could teach me?”

Penelope opened her mouth to say yes, then she noticed the look on his face. For some reason, she knew that he would know it if she lied. “No, I know a lot more than that.”

Harry lost the look and smiled. “Then you keep teaching me and I won't tell anyone.”

Penelope barked a laugh. “You're already blackmailing me?”

“No, it's an agreement.” Harry said and hugged her as he gave her a tender kiss, just like she had taught him. “I get someone that can teach me and you get to be the one to teach me behind everyone's back.”

It was Penelope's turn to give him a calculating look. “You're going to play the Boy-Who-Lived card?”

Harry let her go and grinned. “What's everyone going to say when you decide you can tell everyone that you taught me everything you know?”

“Everything, huh?” Penelope asked and handed him his t-shirt. She didn't remember when he had taken it off. Or she had taken it off of him. It was a bit of a blur because she had her eyes closed for a lot of it.

“Sure! It's not like everyone's jumping at the chance to help me.” Harry said and pulled the t-shirt on.

“That's true.” Penelope said and smoothed his t-shirt for him and caressed his muscles one last time. “I'll walk you back to your common room. We can meet up to discuss the details later.”

Harry nodded and they left the empty classroom and walked through the castle to the spot beside the kitchens where a few other Hufflepuff students had gathered. “Thanks, Prefect Clearwater.”

“You're welcome, Mister Potter.” Penelope said with a nod and walked off. She stopped just around the corner to listen in.

“What was that about?” Ernie MacMillan asked.

“Professor McGonagall asked her to take care of me when I'm not in class.” Harry said. “So, every defense, history of magic, and potions class I'll be spending with her. If she's free.”

“Does she have our schedule?” Ernie asked.

“Oh! I knew I forgot to give her something. I'll grab a copy and give it to her at supper.” Harry said and entered the common room with the other Hufflepuffs.

Penelope stood at the corner for several minutes and her mind warred with her body as she seriously debated Harry's words. Did he really want to spend so much time with her? He was only eleven and she was fifteen. Girls matured quicker than boys, so she should be that much more mature than him, and yet, could she continue doing what they had just done?

She walked off towards the stairs as she thought about what he had said about teaching him everything she knew. She was so deep in thought that she made it all the way back up to Griffindor Tower and hadn't paid attention to anyone or anything around her. It wasn't until she was in her dorm room and had changed into her casual clothes of a nice top and jeans, that she realized he was right.

Penelope Clearwater wanted to be the teacher of the Boy-Who-Lived.

“History, Defense, and Potions.” Penelope said to herself and dug through her trunk. She cursed at herself for not bringing her old books and notebooks and then she chuckled, because she was already getting upset that she couldn't immediately fulfill Harry's expectations.

She would have to owl home for her old notes and books, just in case the new books had changed from what she had studied back then. She left her dorm room with lesson plans already forming in her head and she couldn't help but smile as she added in a particular reward system. It was one that she would enjoy just as much as he would.

*

“Did you say Daphne Greengrass taught you about polite dating?” Susan asked as she finished writing the essay for potions.

“Yeah. Proper protocols and everything.” Harry said and finished his own. “Do you want to try it?”

Susan wanted to immediately agree and stopped herself. “Did she also tell you about intent and meaning? You can't just go around asking girls out for dates! You could make a lot of witches unhappy by doing that, especially if they know you're doing it!”

Harry raised his eyebrows at her getting upset about it. “But, it's just a date.”

“Harry.” Susan sighed. “It's not just a date.”

“It's never just a date.” Hannah added. “Us girls have expectations, you know!”

Harry thought back to Penelope's lesson. “I know.”

“I'm not sure you understand properly.” Susan said. “Who have you dated so far?”

“Just Daphne and Millie.” Harry said and both girls gasped. “What?”

“You went on a date with both girls?” Hannah asked, surprised.

“Not at the same time!” Harry laughed. “I had no clue what to do at first and Daphne told me and showed me by the lake. When that date was over, I took Millie down to Hagrid's.”

Susan sighed and rested her head on a hand. “What am I going to do with you?”

Harry remembered Penelope saying that and what happened afterwards. “I know what I did was correct and I didn't do anything wrong. What's the problem?”

Susan sighed. “It's that you're doing it to more than one girl at a time.”

“But...”

“She means on the same day.” Hannah corrected.

“So, only one a day?” Harry asked and Susan sighed again.

“I think we have a lot of work to do.” Hannah said and Susan nodded.

Half an hour later, Harry was thoroughly confused and both girls knew it was their fault. They couldn't explain properly about only treating one girl as special and dating her for a time before moving on. They had messed up the whole break-up part and mutual feelings, and a few other things. They were only eleven after all.

“Let's just go to supper.” A frustrated Susan said and the three of them left the girl's room to see that their head of house stood just inside the hallway to the girl's dorm.

“You really don't set off the alarm.” Pomona said to Harry.

“I don't know what the big deal is. We were just doing homework.” Hannah said.

“You're only eleven and you don't need to know why it's a big deal right now. That's the prefect's and my job.” Pomona said. “Harry, I would like for you to stop going into the girl's dorm. It's not appropriate for a boy to be in a girl's room like that.”

Harry gave her a calculating look. “When would it be appropriate if I can't do homework with friends?”

Pomona sighed at the trap she had just set for herself and she had no choice but to spring it, despite the damage it would do. “It's never appropriate.”

Harry squinted his eyes at her. “Never? I can never spend time with a friend unless it's in the common room, in the halls after class, or in the library?”

Susan and Hannah stood there in silence, afraid of the answer. They had barely had a week to get used to having a boy they liked hanging around, while also helping him, and now it looked like it was going to end.

Pomona sighed again. “Yes.”

Harry's face went blank. “How can you ignore the friendly and loyal parts of Hufflepuff's motto?”

“Harry...” Susan started to say.

“No, I get it. It's the same as the other places. There's always conditions and rules that are different from what everyone says. You can have friends, only in these spots or at these times. Only, make sure it's not with people they don't approve of.”

Pomona shook her head. “I didn't say anything about not being friends with students in other houses.”

“The house rules state I can't invite students from other houses into the common room.” Harry said and Pomona closed her mouth. “I haven't seen Bulstrode all week and she was my first friend here. I saw her today and we went on a polite date, only it wasn't really a polite one and meant something else to her, which is really confusing.”

Susan and Hannah blushed and looked away from Harry, which told Pomona that something she hadn't expected to come up for a couple of years had just reared its ugly head. It also proved the school's strict policy to stop boys from entering the rooms of girls, was a correct one. She couldn't say that, though.

“Harry, I think we need to have a little talk about all of this.” Pomona said. “After supper in my office, please.”

Harry nodded and the three friends left to go to supper. They entered the Great Hall and Harry walked over to the Griffindor table. The loud talking at the table died down a little as he approached and he stopped by Penelope.

“Excuse me, Prefect Clearwater.” Harry said and she turned to look at him as he held out a piece of paper. “Here's my schedule. Let me know when you can meet again to teach me another lesson.”

“Oh! I had a few thoughts about that.” Penelope said and accepted the schedule. “I already sent for my old notes from my first year and I should get them tomorrow morning with the owl post. After you're done with your homework for the week, we can meet up and...”

“I already did it all, even the stuff I missed in potions today.” Harry said and all talking around them stopped. “That's only because Susan and Hannah were helping me, though. Professor Sprout just told me that I can't do homework with them anymore, unless it's in the common room where it's loud and busy, or in the library. I'm going to fall behind really fast.”

“Wait, she said that?” Penelope asked, confused.

“The better question is where he was doing it.” A tall redhead asked and an identical redhead nodded.

“In their dorm room.” Harry said and several gasps and surprised sounds came from around him.

“How did you do that without getting into trouble?” The other redhead asked.

“I don't set off the alarm.” Harry said with a shrug and looked at Penelope. He missed the shocked looks on the twin's faces. “Are you free after breakfast tomorrow? I'm going to need a lot of help.”

“I'd be happy to help then.” Penelope agreed.

Harry took her hand and kissed the back of it before he went over to the Hufflepuff table.

“What was that about?” Susan asked.

“I'm going to need help if I can't study and do homework with you and Hannah anymore.” Harry said and piled food onto his plate.

“Professor Sprout didn't say you couldn't. She just said we can't do it where we did.” Hannah said.

Harry chuckled and started to eat. “The common room's crowded all the time and the library's across the castle. We'd waste twenty minutes just going there and taking our books out. We also can't talk about our answers and things.”

Both Susan and Hannah sighed and nodded. The library was not the best place for discussions. They ate their food and talked until supper was over. Harry told the two girls that he would see them later and went to Professor Sprout's office.

Two hours later, Harry had his conflicting views mostly sorted out. He knew that the professor was only talking about dating with girls his own age, because she mostly said to not do it and he wouldn't have any problems from not doing something. Penelope's lesson had been a whole lot different. Unlike what the other girls said, she had told him exactly what to do and how to do it.

“How did it go?” Susan asked when Harry entered the common room.

Harry shrugged. “She pretty much told me to ignore everyone's advice and to not date until I'm older.” He said and sat down on the chair beside the couch that Susan and Hannah were on, instead of sitting between them in the spot they usually left for him. “I'm still not allowed into your room to study.”

Susan and Hannah exchanged sad looks.

“Yeah, it's not fair. I told her that we worked faster than everyone else in our year and she still said no.” Harry said and sat back with a sigh.

“We can still try to...” Hannah started to say as several of the other students burst out laughing at someone's joke.

“Yeah, that won't work. I'm sorry.” Harry said and stood up. “I think I better go read some more. Like I told Clearwater, I'm going to fall behind really fast without you two helping me.”

“Harry...” Susan started to say.

“It's not your fault and you don't have to feel bad about me. I'll get by somehow.” Harry said and left the common room.

“We have to go to Professor Sprout and try to convince her nothing was going on.” Hannah said.

“She knows that.” Susan said. “She also knows nothing will continue to happen if we're kept apart.”

Hannah ducked her head. “We can't leave him alone, Susan. You know he doesn't have many friends.”

“We can still be his friends.” Susan said, halfheartedly. Even she didn't quite believe that they could be good friends if they weren't allowed to spend time with each other without supervision.

*

“I've gone over your schedule and I think we can work most of the course material into your History of Magic and Potions classes.” Penelope said the next morning. She had several notebooks and three books on the teacher's desk in the old classroom. “We'll have to schedule Defense Against the Dark Arts during sometime on the weekends, because I've got Ancient Runes for those classes.”

“I can try to work on Defense on my own.” Harry said.

“No, Harry.” Penelope said and took his hand. “There's a reason spells are taught and practised in class so much. You need supervision for casting them, especially for the pronunciations and the wand movements. Any change could alter the spell dangerously or it could not work at all.”

“But...”

“You can read ahead and I encourage that for all your books and not just for the classes you're skipping.” Penelope said and she let his hand go to check his books against hers. “You shouldn't just cast spells without someone showing you what it looks like and sounding out the words for you.”

“What if its a spell no one has cast before?” Harry asked.

“Then you take your chances and hope you don't blow yourself up or the room you're in.” Penelope said, a little sadly. “Several witches and wizards have done that, by the way. Spell discovery and creation can be a really dangerous business.”

“Wow, really?” Harry asked, surprised.

Penelope nodded. “Give me a hand comparing our books. I'm sure the History one is the same, just a slightly newer version of the book with the same stuff in it. It's the Defense and Potion ones that we need to skim over for the contents. Any changes would alter what I show you every week.”

Two hours later, Penelope had several pages of new notes and an outline for Harry's next week of lessons. She sat back and stretched her arms up from the intense information session.

Harry watched her and couldn't help but have a positive impression of how smart the older girl was. “Penelope, I really appreciate you doing this for me.”

Penelope gave him a pointed look and a crooked smile. “I expect to be well compensated for my help, Mister Potter.”

Harry wasn't sure what she meant until she sat on his lap and put her arms around his neck.

Penelope gave him a soft and tender kiss and looked into his eyes. “Two galleons a week and a one galleon bonus for every test you pass.”

Harry thought about that. “They test us every two weeks.”

Penelope nodded. “That's two galleons one week and five the next.”

“That's a lot of money.” Harry said.

Penelope had figured out her negotiation strategy the night before and opened up her top to reveal her bra. “I am going to fully earn that money, Harry.” She whispered and kissed him again. “For every answer you get right when I teach you, you earn a kiss. For every test you pass, my bra comes off for half an hour.”

Harry's eyes widened and she smiled.

“Yes, you'll get to see them and not just touch them.” Penelope purred. “You'd like that, wouldn't you?”

Harry was definitely curious about them and nodded.

“History is just memorization, so I suppose I can forgive those tests, since those you could probably pass on your own.” Penelope said and she saw Harry smile slightly.

In the front of her mind, Penelope was firm in her belief to maintain a professional relationship with Harry. She knew that an eleven year old shouldn't have such well defined muscles and she vowed to keep her distance. In the back of her mind, she was firm in the belief that she was going to really enjoy herself. A lot. She couldn't help but think his muscles were yummy and she could have them all to herself.

“So, what do you say?” Penelope whispered and gave him another kiss as one of her her hands rubbed the buzz cut of his hair. She definitely preferred the buzz to the unruly locks the books showed him having. “Do we have a deal?”

“O-okay.” Harry said and his voice cracked a little.

Penelope smiled warmly. “That's great, Harry. I'm going to give you a bit of a head start for next week's classes, we can break for lunch, and then I can give you another lesson about what to do on a date.”

“Okay.” Harry said, much more confidently.

Penelope stayed on his lap and gave him a great basis on what was going to happen in his classes for the next week. She also kept her promise when she asked him a question. When he got it right, she would give him a passionate kiss.

Harry really liked learning Penelope's slightly altered definition of positive reinforcement.

*

A week later, three frustrated people sat in their individual offices and contemplated Harry Potter.

Quirrell sat at his desk and tried to figure out how to get the Potter brat back into his classroom. How was he supposed to gauge the boy and his reactions if the boy was never near him? That he had passed the test without actually coming to class was very annoying.

Snape sat at his desk and tried to figure out how to get the Potter brat back into his classroom. How was he supposed to gauge the boy and his reactions if the boy was never near him? That first time had been a fluke, he was sure. No one was that strong. It had to be a bout of accidental magic.

He looked at the perfectly brewed potion and test sheet that had been delivered by a Griffindor prefect and frowned. It was in Potter's handwriting and his magic was in the potion, so no one was doing it for him. He couldn't even take points from the boy for skipping, because he wasn't a part of anyone's House, despite wearing Hufflepuff colors.

Albus Dumbledore sat at his desk and tried to figure out how to get Harry Potter back into both Quirrell's and Snape's classrooms. How was he supposed to gauge the boy and his reactions if the boy was never near them? The monitoring charms in the classrooms were useless if he never attended.

In fact, Albus couldn't even censure the boy for skipping, since both classes were atrociously taught. That Harry was passing both of them and History of Magic without attending them, really showed how poor the teaching standards were for those classes.

*

Harry sat in the old classroom, completely stunned, at the bare chested beauty that sat on his lap. Her breasts were perky and taut, and her nipples were bright pink and very pointy.

Penelope blushed at his shocked expression and she knew that this was going to be the best motivation for him to learn as much as he could, just so he could see them again. “Go ahead and touch them. You earned it.”

“Okay.” Harry said and both of his hands caressed them like she had taught him, then he gripped them carefully and a little roughly. He even pinched her nipples how she liked it.

Penelope had to bite her lip to stop her moan. He shouldn't be this good at it! I only just taught him what to do. She thought, then his rough thumbs rubbed her nipples and she gasped and moaned at the same time. “Oh, god! Kiss me!”

It was the most intense snogging session that Harry had ever had, which was saying something, because he'd had one every time they met during his skipped classes since last week. Answering so many questions right made her really happy, apparently.

The two of them had the exact same thought when they broke the kiss and looked into each other's eyes. They were both going to work hard and they couldn't wait to do the same thing in two weeks.

*

Two months later at the end of October, it was the Halloween feast. Penelope had spent the last hour looking for one of her housemates that had been missing since lunch and she hadn't had any luck. She sat down to eat and absently rubbed at the straps of her restrictive bra. She had stopped wearing one on the weekends for Harry and it was getting annoying to wear one during the week.

What surprised her was that she really looked forward to the review lessons she had with Harry and she was way ahead on her own studies. She wasn't worried at all about this being her OWL year. A couple of her friends had asked her what her secret was for doing so much and also tutoring Harry on the side. She would just shrug and say time management was everything.

She wasn't going to tell them that she had taught Harry to be one hell of a great kisser and that she started having orgasms from letting him fondle her breasts. That was not information she wanted anyone to know. She was training Harry to be her perfect boyfriend and no one was going to take him from her.

Penelope looked over at the Hufflepuff table and saw Harry talking to Cedric and wondered what they could have in common, then the doors to the Great Hall burst open and Professor Quirrell ran inside.

“TROLLLLL!” Quirrell yelled. “Troll in the dungeon!” He slid to a stop. “Thought you ought to know.” He said and fainted.

Everyone started screaming and jumped up from their seats.

Penelope calmly stood and clapped her hands very loudly several times. “CALM DOWN! The troll's not here!”

The people around her settled down as the headmaster used a Sonorus Charm to enhance his voice.

“SIIILENCE!” Albus said and everyone else settled down. “Do. Not. Panic. Prefects, please lead your houses back to their common rooms.”

Everyone started to file out of the Great Hall.

“I really wish I'd found that girl.” Penelope said as she led the Griffindors.

“What girl?” Harry asked.

“Hermione Granger. Someone made her cry and she ran off.” A blonde girl said from the first years.

“Who bullied her?” Harry asked as they moved out into the Entrance Hall.

The girl didn't say anything, which meant she knew, because she would have said if she didn't.

“Where did Granger go? Does anyone know?” Harry asked loudly.

“I think she's in the second floor bathroom on the left-hand side of the castle.” Lisa Turpin said. “I heard crying in there earlier and she didn't respond when I asked what happened.”

Harry took her hand and kissed it. “Thanks, Lisa!”

Lisa blushed and opened her mouth to respond, except Harry had already taken off at a run. He was long gone before she could ask where he was going, not that she needed to.

*

Hermione Granger sat on the toilet and sniffled. She was almost completely cried out after hours of feeling so sad about her school experiences so far. She had thought that a new school, new people, and magic to help, she could have a new start on her life and maybe make some friends.

How wrong she was. The kids might have looked different; but, they acted the same. None of them wanted her around and she was called names, bullied, and ostracized. Her hopes of having one friend had been shattered that day by that idiot Ron Weasley and him calling her an insufferable know-it-all. All she had wanted was to help and not have him get hurt or hurt anyone else.

She sighed and left the stall to go and wash her hands and face off, then she squeaked in terror when the door slammed open and a twelve foot tall mountain troll ducked and entered the bathroom. She let out a blood-curdling scream and the thing winced.

“RAAWR!” It roared in response to having its ears hurt and swung its giant club at the nearby stalls. Hermione screamed again and jumped away from where she stood and hid under the sinks. The troll saw her and took a step towards her and lifted its club over its head for a killing blow. Hermione lost her voice and stared at the ugly creature as she saw her death approaching.

“I hate bullies!” A deep voice said.

Hermione was shocked when Harry Potter tackled the mountain troll from the side and slammed it into the tiled wall across the bathroom.

The troll turned and elbowed Harry in the face and knocked him to the ground. It grunted and looked a little confused, because the thing he just hit started getting back up. The club came down on the boy's back and the troll grunted again in satisfaction.

Hermione was still speechless as she watched Harry's body being crushed into the stone floor. Tears came to her eyes again as she regretted not tracking him down to talk to him. He had seemed nice, unlike the other students she had met. Now she would never get the chance to talk to him.

The troll turned back towards her and hefted the club again.

“I actually felt that.” Harry said and stood up. “I think you popped my spine, too. I haven't felt that since I was run over by a Lorry.”

Hermione's mouth dropped open as she stared at the boy she thought was dead.

The troll had a similar expression on its face as it swung the club at the boy's head. Harry went down again for only a moment, then he was back up. The troll kept swinging and Harry would move just enough for different parts of his body to be hit.

When the troll let out a frustrated grunt, it switched to a double handed overhead position and swung downwards.

“I'm done being your punching bag.” Harry said and caught the club that was nearly as big as him. He pulled it from the troll's strong grip and flipped it around to hold it properly. “Let's see how you like it.”

The troll grunted in pain as its own club was smashed across its face and it spun around once.

“Batter up!” Harry said and took a cricket pose, then he swung as hard as he could between the troll's legs.

“OWWWWOOOOOOO!” The troll howled in pain and dropped to its knees, hands clutched to its bits.

“Two points for me.” Harry said and then swung at the thing's head.

The hollow thunk sound it made against the troll's skull echoed loudly in the bathroom, just as three startled sounds came from the teachers that had entered the bathroom at the troll's howl of anguish. The troll slumped to the floor and didn't move, so Harry dropped the club and walked over to Hermione. He helped her out from under the sinks and took her into a hug.

“Are you okay? Did it hurt you?” Harry asked her, concern in his voice.

Hermione was too stunned by what she had just seen to respond properly. “Harry! It's a troll!”

Harry chuckled and let her go. “Yeah, I never met one before, either. It's really strong.” He said and turned his body slightly and pushed on part of his back with a hand.

Hermione winced at the popping sound.

“That's got it.” Harry said.

“Mister Potter! What's going on here?” Minerva asked, angrily. She stood beside Flitwick and Snape.

“Absolutely nothing, professor.” Harry lied blatantly and Flitwick barked a laugh as Snape scowled.

Minvera pointed at the unconscious troll lying on the floor. “That does not look like nothing!”

“Oh, that.” Harry said and put an arm over Hermione's shoulders. “Hermione and I were getting ready for our date and we were rudely interrupted.”

Hermione's face went to a deep red color and she let out a squeak.

“It's okay, Hermione. We can reschedule for Sunday.” Harry said to her.

“Miss Granger? Is this true?” Minerva asked her.

Hermione didn't want to admit that she had been crying for most of the day, so she nodded.

Minerva sighed. “All right, off with you. Go back to your common rooms.”

“Yes, professor.” Harry said and led Hermione by the three teachers. He paid particular attention to Snape and saw his torn robes and a bit of blood on his pant leg. Harry wasn't stupid and didn't comment on it.

They made it to the main staircase before Hermione spoke.

“H-Harry...” Hermione whispered.

“It really is going to be okay.” Harry said in a normal voice.

“How?” Hermione asked.

“It's easy. Who made you cry?” Harry asked.

“Ron. Ron Weasley.” Hermione said.

“Do you want his arm or leg broken?” Harry asked and she let out a startled sound.

“Harry! You can't!” Hermione exclaimed and stopped walking.

Harry turned and it put them really close together. “You just proved you're so much better than him.”

“Wh-what?” Hermione asked as she looked deeply into his emerald green eyes. So pretty!

“I bet if you ask him, he won't care about you being attacked by a troll.” Harry said and by the look on her face, he knew it was true. “I only threatened to hurt him for you and you're completely against it. That means you are a better person. A much better person.”

Hermione blushed and couldn't stop her mind from asking what it needed to know. “If he's so horrible, why does he have friends and I don't?”

Harry smiled. “It's easy for a guy to have friends when someone isn't actively fighting them off.”

“But... but...”

“Why don't you have any friends?” Harry asked and did one of Penelope's tips of running his hand through the girl's hair to calm her down. It worked like a charm and Hermione sighed and closed her eyes to lean into his hand.

“I'm really smart and I try to help them when they constantly get things wrong. They make fun of me and call me a busy-body and a know-it-all. Even my dorm mates won't talk to me and we sleep in the same room together.”

“I got it.” Harry said and she opened her eyes. “Just stop it.”

“Stop what?” Hermione asked and slowly blinked as Harry kept petting her.

“Stop talking to them. Stop helping them. Stop commenting. Stop everything.” Harry said. “If they don't appreciate you trying to help and ignore you, then never help them. Show them you're the best and ignore them right back.”

Hermione did two more slow blinks. “But, I want to have friends. How can I get them if...”

“They aren't good enough to be your friend.” Harry said and stopped petting her hair. “Come on, let's get you to your common room.”

Hermione almost had to shake herself. “Wait, you were just petting me!”

Harry chuckled. “Our date today was cancelled, so I had to give you a bit of a preview.” He said in a teasing manner like Penelope said. “You'll get the whole experience on Sunday.”

“WHAT?” Hermione gasped. “I thought you were joking!”

“I wouldn't joke about things like that with a friend.” Harry said and took her hand.

Hermione stared at him as he led her up the rest of the stairs and down the hallway to where the Griffindor common room entrance was.

“Grace and Valor.” Harry said and the portrait opened.

“Harry!” Hermione gasped at him gaining access to their common room.

“It's okay. I know I'm not allowed inside.” Harry said and leaned into the doorway. “Which one of you lot is Ron Weasley?”

One of the bunch of redheads raised a hand.

“I know your face now.” Harry said and he put his hand down. “If I hear about you bullying a girl I'm dating again, you'll be eating a knuckle sandwich.”

“I like sandwiches.” Ron responded and several people in the crowded room groaned.

“He meant he's going to punch you in the face.” An older Griffindor student clarified.

“Who's the girl?” Penelope asked, even though she knew who it was. There was only one girl missing from the tower, after all.

“Hermione Granger.” Harry said and eased a blushing Hermione into the room. “Our next date is on Sunday. If she tells me anything about Ron picking on her again, he's going to regret it.”

“Our brother might be an idiot; but, he's our brother.” One of the tall redheads said.

“We can't let you threaten him like that.” The other one said.

“It wasn't a threat.” Harry said and gave them a calculating look. “So, you're okay with him shouting at a girl and making her cry, just because she was trying to help him; but, you're not okay if someone warns him to never do it again?”

The twins didn't respond and kept their mouths shut.

“Now everyone knows how biased you are and why Ron seems free to bully anyone he wants. No one wants to go against his older brothers.” Harry said.

The twins looked around at everyone's faces and saw the truth there.

“It's a good thing I'm not like everyone else.” Harry said and gave them a pointed look. “I punched the headmaster and got away with it. I kicked the potions professor across his classroom and got away with it. I just knocked out a troll with its own club and got away with it.”

Nearly everyone made startled sounds.

“Do you really think anyone's going to say anything to me if I handle a bully and his two older brothers?” Harry asked and they didn't respond. “No, they won't.” He said looked at Hermione. “Is an hour after breakfast on Sunday okay with you? I need to stop at the library first thing to prep for classes the next day and then we can get to the date.”

Hermione let out a little squeal. “You're going to the library? On a Sunday?”

“I go there every Sunday morning.” Harry admitted and then he had one of the tightest hugs he had ever had. He was glad that his body had adjusted to Vernon choking him over the years, because he would have had his breath cut off.

“We're going to have so much fun on our date! I have to get ready right away!” Hermione shouted and let him go before she ran around everyone in the common room and up the stairs to her dorm room.

Penelope sighed at Harry inadvertently stumbling across the bookworm's favorite thing to do. “Now that you've made her a very happy witch, you need to get to your own common room, Mister Potter.”

“I already took care of the troll, so the danger's over. See you tomorrow for my lessons.” Harry said and the portrait closed when he stepped out of sight.

“How much is he paying you for tutoring?” Her friend asked her.

Penelope was never going to admit what her actual rates were, so she settled for the total instead. “I've saved up almost 30 galleons so far.”

More startled sounds came from everyone and they all stared at her.

“Don't get any ideas about trying to steal him from me. I've been his tutor for two months already and he has Outstanding in all his classes.” Penelope said and a few of them looked sad at losing the chance.

After another half an hour, Minerva visited the common room and told them the situation had been handled and that the danger was over. She sent them all to bed and reassured them that everything was fine.

Unknown to the Head of Griffindor House, quite a few of her older students went to bed a little worked up. Their thoughts went right to a certain buzz cut bad boy and their hands went right between their legs. They all had similar thoughts, too. He might only be eleven right now; but, he was growing up fast and their age difference wouldn't mean a thing when he was older.

The house elves had a lot of damp sheets to clean and beds to freshen up the next morning, much to their utter happiness. More messes meant more work and more happiness all around.

*

Hermione had an absolute ball during her very first date. The boy she liked was smart, loved reading as much as she did, and he didn't complain once about the stacks of books she had piled around them. He had even helped her search through them when she was looking for something.

Harry's occasional brief hand holding while they went along the aisles to get more books, the couple of finger combs through her hair he did, and the several light caresses of her cheek with his fingertips, were easily ignored... and secretly enjoyed. Or so Hermione hoped. She was sure she had hidden her blushes successfully.

When the bell rang to signal that it was lunchtime, Hermione let out a long and exaggerated sigh. In her mind, it was the best date she ever had, and now it was over. That it was her very first one hadn't occurred to her.

“I'll help you pack up.” Harry whispered and the two of them worked for about ten minutes and put all of the books back. When they left the library, Madam Pince nodded thanks to the both of them.

“I'm kind of sad that it's over.” Hermione said and then blushed.

Harry brought her to a stop and pulled her into an alcove. “It's not over yet.”

Hermione opened her mouth to ask why and Harry leaned in and kissed her for several seconds. She let out a startled sound and her blush went from the top of her head to the bottom of her neck.

“A boy is supposed to kiss the pretty girl at the end of the date.” Harry whispered. “I had a great time.”

Hermione tried to speak and only a little squeak came out. No one had ever called her pretty before.

“I know you had a good time, too.” Harry said and stepped back out into the hallway. “Can I walk you to the Great Hall?”

Hermione still couldn't speak, so she nodded and let him take her hand. She kept the blush on her face for the entire walk to the Great Hall and even after Harry had sat her down near the other first years.

“I hope you kept things respectable.” Penelope said.

Harry walked over to her, bent over to whisper in her ear, and lightly bit it. “Just a kiss.”

“Keep it that way, Mister Potter.” Penelope said and barely managed to not blush herself.

“Yes, Prefect Clearwater.” Harry agreed and went over to the Hufflepuff table.

“I'm glad to see you keeping a close eye on my lions, Miss Clearwater.” Minerva said as she passed by.

“I take my duties seriously, Professor McGonagall.” Penelope said.

Minerva nodded and went up to the head table. She had been worried when Harry had come into the Great Hall with a severely blushing Miss Granger, and had to go check on her. She was pleased to know at least one of her prefects was keeping an eye on the errant boy when he wasn't in class.

*

November soon became December and then became the holiday break. Two witches in particular were a little upset that they would be spending two whole weeks away from the wizard that they had become severely attached to.

Penelope had cornered Harry earlier that day with the excuse about holiday revision and had snogged the hell out of him for nearly ten minutes before she shoved her breasts into his face.

“Happy Christmas, Harry.” Penelope said and buttoned up her blouse as she left the broom closet.

“Bloody hell.” Harry whispered, both shocked and happy. He waited for another ten minutes before he left the closet and went about his day.

After lunch, Harry left the Great Hall and Hermione was there in the Entrance Hall waiting for him. Without a word, she stepped forward and kissed him soundly on the lips in front of everyone. She broke the kiss, grabbed the end of her trunk, and walked away proudly.

“She's definitely a Griffindor.” Cedric said from behind Harry.

“We don't have to only be one thing, even if we're in the house that defines us.” Beatrice said.

“Oh, hi!” Harry said as he turned to her. “Have you come to kiss me goodbye, too?”

Beatrice put her hand over his face and moved him out of her way, which made Cedric laugh. “I don't want little kid kisses like that one, thank you.”

“You don't know what you're missing.” Harry joked and Cedric laughed some more.

“Yeah, come see me when you grow a pair and know how to kiss properly.” Beatrice said and walked by them. She looked like she was struggling with her heavy suitcase.

Cedric pat Harry's shoulder and pointed to Beatrice's bag.

Harry nodded and quickly followed the young woman. “Can I carry your bag for you? As an apology?”

Beatrice gave him an odd look and then shrugged as she handed it over.

Harry picked up her bag like it was nothing and she looked surprised. “I work out every morning.”

Beatrice shrugged again and the pair walked out into the cold December air. “You're not wearing a coat.”

“I never had one growing up, so I'm used to the cold.” Harry said and didn't see her slightly sad expression as they walked to the closest empty carriage. He put the bag inside easily and then held a hand out for her to use to climb up. Or so she assumed.

“You're really pushing this gallantry thing.” Beatrice said and took his hand. Before she knew it, she was in his arms and her mouth was occupied by the best kiss she had ever received. It only lasted for a few moments, because they were out in public and other students were coming over to the carriage.

“Happy Christmas.” Harry said to her shocked face. He helped her into the carriage and then helped in the next two girls. When he reached for the guy waiting to board next, he got smacked in the head and everyone laughed, except for Beatrice. She just stared at him with wide eyes before the carriage left.

Harry rubbed his head, faking that it stung, and walked towards the castle. If a troll's club couldn't hurt him, a slap wasn't going to do anything, either.

“Cheeky.” Cedric said as he passed by. “Did you make up with Beatrice?”

“She was speechless.” Harry said with a smile.

Cedric nodded and entered a different carriage while Harry went inside the castle. Most of the students had decided to go home and only a couple handfuls of them had remained for the winter break. He was alone in the Hufflepuff common room and it felt really odd for it to not be busy at all. He went into his dorm room and took out the study guide that Penelope had give him and picked up his Potions book.

After all of the help she had given him for the last four months, he wasn't going to disappoint her now.

*

Harry opened his eyes on Christmas morning and felt the weight on the end of the bed. He sat up and saw a small pile of presents. He almost squealed like a little girl, because this was his very first Christmas away from the Dursleys. He quickly sorted through the gifts and the large brown paper wrapped one stood out like a white jellybean in a bag full of black licorice candy.

He ignored that one and opened Penelope's gift first. It was a very nice mechanical watch with a leather strap. He wouldn't need to cast the Tempus spell a dozen times a day and could just look at his wrist. It was also self winding and self cleaning, so he put it on and opened Hermione's rectangular present.

Harry wasn't surprised that it was a book. He was surprised that it was a book of books and listed all of the books available in print. “That's pretty cool.” He said and opened the one from Miss Jensen.

The insurance settlement from the accident where his uncle had tried to kill him with a Lorry had come through. Harry was now fairly well off in the muggle world and he had a bank account and the instructions on how to access it. He felt bad about it until he read the letter attached. The insurance company had taken it from his uncle and sold off the house at Privet Drive to cover the costs.

Harry laughed and put it all away inside his trunk, except for his bank card. He put that in his wallet. He opened a few of the other presents that were from names he didn't recognize, then he laughed when the cards attached to the chocolates told him to keep making Dumbledore look foolish.

“Thanks, Daphne and Millie.” Harry said, because he knew they had told the other Slytherins to stay on his good side. He opened the gift from Millie and it was a picture of her with a lipstick mark on it, which proved to him that Penelope's lessons were worth the effort to learn.

Harry and Millie were only friends, by mutual agreement because they were so young; but, Millie really liked the fact that anyone wanted to kiss her. That it was Harry made it all the better for her.

Daphne's gift was a book on pureblood etiquette and how to act in polite society. Harry made a note to read it before the break was over and he would show her that he had taken her advice and given it the respect it deserved. She had remembered that he knew nothing about it and now she was giving him a means to learn.

Harry read the note with it and smiled. “I'm sorry I'm not allowed to go with you to a ball, too.”

The last present was the brown paper one. Harry opened it and marvelled at the black silky cloth with a silvery lining. He felt a tingle of magic when he touched it and frowned as he let it go. He knew from the few spells that hit him previously that his body was reacting to something. He waited for a minute before touching it again and there was no tingle.

Harry stood up and put the cloak on. He didn't have a mirror to tell him what he looked like, so he looked down at himself... and he wasn't there! He pulled it off with a startled shout and sighed in relief when his body reappeared. That was a bit scary for him, so he tucked that thing into his trunk and left it there. He would have to ask someone about cloaks that erased people's bodies when worn.

He packed his new things away into his trunk and pulled out the study guide again. He knew he didn't have to do it today, because Penelope had left him a day off for Christmas and a day off for New Years. Harry didn't really have anything else to do all day, so he went back to studying. After the last two months of Sunday study dates with Hermione, he knew that she would be really happy that he was.

*

A very frustrated Albus Dumbledore sat in the old classroom on the third floor during the last night of the winter break. He had no idea why his compulsion spell on the boy's invisibility cloak hadn't worked. Or it had and he had missed him. He couldn't sit there all day and might have missed a golden opportunity to entice the boy into looking for the Mirror of Erised and to solve a mystery.

Quirrell stalked around the hallway outside that same classroom. His mind was full of disbelief, because he was sure that Potter would have come looking for the mirror. The old man had set him up to do so and Quirrell had waited to pounce on the boy. He needed to know why Harry kept avoiding him and why his passive Legilimency wasn't getting through properly.

At midnight, Quirrell gave up and went back to his office. Albus stayed until just after two in the morning and gave up as well. He would need to somehow check why the boy hadn't fallen for the compulsion spell.

*

“Hiya, Harry!” Hannah said happily after she opened the Hufflepuff common room's door.

“Hi, Hannah. I guess the train's back.” Harry said and sat up. He had been reclined on the couch with a book on his chest and his feet up.

“Yep! The castle is full once more!” Hannah said and carried her bag inside as the rest of the Hufflepuffs entered behind her.

“It was a little weird to be here and not have any noise at all around me.” Harry said and put his sneakers back on.

“Thanks a lot for the gift. I love my badger necklace!” Hannah said as she put her bag down and then gave him a quick hug.

“Want me to give you a hand with your bag?” Harry asked.

Hannah shook her head. “You're not allowed in the room, remember?”

“Oh, yeah. Sorry.” Harry said.

Hannah placed a hand on his arm. “We're the ones that are sorry.”

“Really sorry.” Susan said and lightly touched the nice badger pin Harry had given her. “I'm just glad you're keeping up.”

“Me, too. I was worried about it until Clearwater offered to teach me.”

“She's not doing it out of the goodness of her heart. You're paying her.” Hannah said.

“It's worth it.” Harry said and smiled. “I've had all Outstandings so far.”

“Then you better keep up the hard work.” A female voice said and Susan and Hannah moved apart to reveal Beatrice standing there. “You don't want to make us look bad.”

Harry reached out and took her hand to kiss the back of it. “I never will. Hufflepuff House offered to take me in, even though I couldn't be sorted.”

“They still haven't figured that out yet?” Cedric asked and tried to not laugh at Beatrice's blushing face.

“Nope. The headmaster doesn't respond to my letters about it anymore.” Harry said and let the girl's hand go. “I guess after four months, there's not much point in doing it.”

“Then welcome again to Hufflepuff.” Cedric said and tossed Harry his bag. “Mush! Mush, I tell you!”

“WOOF!” Harry barked like a sled dog and put the handle in his mouth, then he ran to the boy's dorms with the bag.

Everyone laughed.

*

Time moved on and Harry had a great time. He had great lessons during the week and on the weekends with Penelope, went on occasional dates with Daphne and Millie, and had consistent Sunday morning dates with Hermione in the library.

Harry was at the top of his class with Hermione, which she felt both annoyed by and was pleased by, because she knew he was good competition and she wasn't spending time with an idiot. When she told him that, Harry had laughed and given her a blush-inducing kiss.

*

Rumors of a dragon being hidden at the school were dismissed as fairy tales, because everyone knew you needed a license to breed dragons. Draco getting detention for being out of bed at night because of it, was pretty funny. At first. He had been given detention in the Forbidden Forest, which everyone knew was forbidden for a reason, and he hadn't come back.

The official story was he was trampled by a dying unicorn. The rumors on the other hand were everything from an acromantula biting him to centaurs shooting him full of arrows. The worst one was some dark creature had been killing unicorns and had eaten him, too.

*

It was the end of the year and none of Albus' plans had come to fruition. They had all failed, so he was pretty desperate. As a very last resort, he had secretly sequestered Miss Granger in his office with an enticing book and announced in the Great Hall that he would be leaving for the evening to attend a meeting with the Minister of Magic.

Albus tasked a Griffindor prefect to deliver a note to Harry and hoped that his ploy worked. If not, he would have to sweep in and handle it himself, then figure out how to go from there.

*

Penelope tried to open the note to see what it was and sighed when it wouldn't unfold. She waited as ordered until the headmaster had left the Great Hall and she went over to Harry at the Hufflepuff table.

“The headmaster asked me to give this to you, Harry.” Penelope said and hoped her change of using his first name, let him know that the note wasn't to do with their arrangement.

Harry nodded slightly and accepted the note. He opened it and read it silently, much to Penelope's frustration, because the parchment was blank to her eyes. “I'll see you guys later.”

“Harry? What is it?” Susan asked.

“I have to go.” Harry said and walked quickly out of the Great Hall before anyone could stop him.

Penelope was too surprised at him moving so fast to react right away, then she tried to follow Harry. The doors shut to stop her and she cursed in her head, because she knew it was the headmaster's doing.

Harry rushed up the stairs and to his surprise, the moving staircases hadn't moved and gave him a direct path to the third floor on the right-hand side. He jogged down the hallway of the third floor corridor and stopped at the right door. He grabbed the handle and pulled the door off of the hinges, only to be met with a sleeping dog.

He followed the note's directions and went to the trap door and jumped down. He had a lot of experience with the tangling vines known as Devil's Snare and laid perfectly still. He slid down through them and landed on his feet. He went through the door and saw a bunch of flying keys and a set of brooms at the side of the room.

There was only one other door and Harry had no time to waste, so he ran at it and smashed right through it. He landed on a giant room-sized chess set and walked across it. The pawns drew their swords and blocked his path. He gave them a calculating look as he took a step back and they relaxed, and he took another step forward.

They blocked his path once more and Harry smiled. He stepped back two steps and they put their swords away, which gave him two seconds to act. He took one step and them raised his foot and kicked out as hard as he could into the face of the closest Pawn. The head shattered as it was thrown backwards into the king and both the king and the pawn exploded into stone pieces.

“Checkmate.” Harry said and walked through the opening and through the door.

When the door closed, black flames covered the door to move on and greenish flames covered the door to go back. Harry assumed the leaving flames were less dangerous and stuck his hand into them for a second. His hand turned green and looked diseased, then it tingled for several moments before returning to normal.

Harry put his hand into it again and nothing happened. He nodded at this result and went to the table in the middle of the room. He read the parchment and chuckled at the potions riddle that even Ron could figure out. He knew which one to use to get through the flames, so he took the smallest bottle and opened it, then he paused.

The note said he was meant to go through here and the potions professor hated him, so the riddle was a trick. Harry corked the small vial again and put it back. He didn't want to destroy the evidence. He walked over to the black flames and repeated what he did to the flames in front of the other door. His hand looked decayed for several seconds and then he healed.

With no more worry about the flames hurting him, Harry opened the unlocked door and stepped into the next room. A troll was unconscious on the floor and Harry wondered if it was the same troll. He knelt and felt around for a large bump on the head and found one right where he had hit the thing back at Halloween.

“You better hope Hermione's okay, or I'm going to regret that you died so quickly.” Harry said and reached down to turn the troll's head around to face the other way. After a dull crack and some laboured breathing, it was dead. He kicked it out of the way to get to the door and the troll's body slammed against the stone wall.

Harry opened the door and stepped down into the final room. “Hey, you! Where's Hermione?”

Professor Quirrell turned away from the mirror to glare at him. “Mister Potter, it's so nice to finally see you after all this time.”

“Your class was a waste of time and I had a lot more fun learning from my tutor.” Harry admitted. “Now where's Hermione?”

“I have no idea.” Quirrell huffed and looked into the large mirror. “I can see myself giving the stone to my master and he makes a new body for himself. But, how do I get it?”

“Use the boy.” A voice from Quirrell's turban suggested.

“Potter! Come over here!” Quirrell said and motioned for Harry to come over.

“No, thanks. If Hermione's not here, I'm leaving.”

Quirrell waved his hand at the door and flames sprung up.

“Are those real flames?” Harry asked.

“They burn you all the same.” Quirrell said. “Now get over here!”

“I said I'm leaving.” Harry said and stuck his left hand into the magical fire.

“IDIOT BOY!” Quirrell yelled and rushed over to him.

“What did you say?” Harry asked in a deadly voice as Quirrell yanked his arm out of the flames.

“You're an idiot, boy!” Quirrell shouted and then stared at the smooth skin of Harry's hand. He also wondered where the smell and the sizzling sound was coming from. “Why are you not burned?”

A hard right fist slammed into his face and he spun around comically three times before he landed on the floor in a heap.

“You really should watch what you say.” Harry warned him.

Quirrell lifted his wand up to point it at him.

Harry caught the hand and held it off to his left as a blasting spell hit the wall. He wasn't going to let Quirrell cast more spells, so he gripped tightly to snap the wand and broke two of the man's fingers.

“AHH! Let go! AHHHHH!” Quirrell screamed.

Harry looked at the man's hand and it started to turn to ash and crumbled. He felt something reacting on his skin and he let the pile of ash go to stare at his palm. He could almost feel something aching to be used and looked at the man on the floor as the ash slowly crept up his arm.

“Fool! You've let your magic backfire.” The voice from the turban said. “Let me see the effect for myself. Perhaps I can stop it.”

“M-master, you're too weak...” Quirrell lightly protested as he pulled off the turban with one hand without bothering to unwrap his head. He sat up and turned his head to the left and held up his right hand.

“No, this isn't a magic backfire. This... this is...”

“A protective spell in my skin.” Harry said in understanding. “It's like the shield spell from class, only better. A whole lot better. I think... I think it protects me from evil. It protects me... from people like you.”

Quirrell's eyes widened just as Harry's hands grabbed onto his face. He let out a loud scream of pain and tried to fight Harry off with his remaining hand, then that hand continued to burn up. The palms had already been damaged from touching Harry's bare arm before.

After a few moments, Quirrell stopped screaming and fell backwards onto the stone floor of the room. His head caved in and the rest of his body changed into ash and crumbled away while a smoky cloud-like thing floated up into the air.

“I will... make you pay... Harry Potter.” The cloud said and then flew towards him.

Harry wasn't scared, because he knew his body would protect him. The cloud hit him in the chest and started to sink in as if it was trying to fly through him, only it slowed down and seemed to come to a stop just below the surface. Harry felt something familiar and a lot of tingling in the area. He remembered this feeling from before and tore off his t-shirt to look at the large lightning bolt that was forming across his chest.

“I know... how to deal... with you now.” Harry said and stumbled when he tried to walk. It was like he had someone else fighting for control of his body. He wasn't having that, so he jumped towards the Mirror of Erised.

Harry landed on his belly in front of it and looked into it. He felt a tingling in his head as he caught a glimpse of a ruby red stone and then there was just his normal reflection that stared back at him. He pushed with both his hands and the large mirror fell backwards with a loud crash. The mirror shattered into a hundred pieces while the ornate stone frame broke apart and slid across the floor.

“I need... one about... that size!” Harry exclaimed as he picked a large piece of glass in the shape of a chef's knife and laid back on the floor. “This is really, really going to hurt!” He said and plunged the shard into the side of his pectoral muscle. “AHHH! Bloody HELL!”

Harry used the mirror shard like a real knife as he started to carve out the large lightning bolt scar from his chest and took enough of the flesh and muscle from around it to make sure he got all of that smoky cloud-like thing. He knew once it was trapped in his flesh, it wasn't going to escape, just like that thing from his forehead.

He had never told anyone that while he screamed after the accident with the axe, that he had seen the piece of his skull and the flesh scream as a black smoky cloud-like thing dissolved from it. He assumed that once it wasn't attached to his body anymore, it couldn't live, so he knew it would be the same for this thing, too.

With a sickening squelching sound, Harry yelled in excruciating pain as he pulled off the piece of severed chest and threw it onto the shards of the broken mirror. The blood welled up and flowed freely from the gaping wound; but, it wasn't a fatal one. He knew that his body would heal from this eventually and his eyes went to the piece of himself that he had cut off.

The black cloud-like thing started to rise up out of it and screamed as it dissolved and faded away.

“I knew... it would work.” Harry said and fell unconscious.

*

Albus Dumbledore entered the final room as his mind pondered the calculated destruction that led here. He caught his breath at the bleeding form of Harry Potter among the shattered remnants of the Mirror of Erised and rushed to the boy's side to administer aid. He waved his wand to close off the blood flow from the veins and arteries... and after a moment, his spell dissipated and the blood continued to flow.

Albus blinked his eyes at that and cast a diagnostic spell. He was shocked to see that the boy wasn't dying and was just unconscious. In fact, Harry was healing at an accelerated rate and would be fine in a few days.

With the immediate danger out of the way, Albus checked what was left of Quirrell and sighed. No sign of Voldemort possessing him could be found, so he checked on the skin and flesh that Quirrell must have spelled off of Harry. His eyes widened and his glasses almost slipped off of his face when he saw the large lightning bolt scar across the skin.

Albus looked at the boy and his chest lifted and fell as he breathed normally. The ash of Quirrell's body stayed where it was, making the man clearly dead. He had no idea how to explain any of this to anyone, especially Nickolas Flamel. The old headmaster gasped and stared at the shattered mirror and the broken stone frame.

The Philosopher's Stone had been inside the enchanted mirror that was now in hundreds of pieces.

Albus sighed and rubbed his face several times. “I'm getting too old for this.”

With nothing else to do, he set about cleaning up the place and then conjured a stretcher for Harry Potter, whom would need to spend a few sequestered days in the hospital wing to heal up. Albus would also let Madam Pomfrey check him out and see if she could figure out what was going on with the boy.

*

Harry woke up in the hospital wing and immediately felt for his chest. He sighed with relief as his hands found the thicker muscles and he relaxed.

“I don't know how it grew back like that in only two days, Mister Potter.” Madam Pomfrey said as she stepped around the privacy curtain and handed him a potion to take. “I've been here for years and I've never seen anything like it.”

“Did you keep it for me?” Harry asked as he drank the potion. He knew that whatever it was, it wouldn't affect him for long.

“Keep what?”

“My old chest, of course. It had a big lightning bolt across it.” Harry said.

“Mister Potter, are you feeling all right? Why would you ask for something like that?”

“You got rid of it, didn't you?” Harry asked.

“I never had anything like that.” Madam Pomfrey said. “The headmaster only brought you into the hospital wing and nothing else.”

“What about Quirrell's ashes? Did he bury them already?” Harry asked and she gasped. “What? Don't wizards bury their dead?”

Madam Pomfrey opened and closed her mouth several times.

Albus Dumbledore entered through the curtain and used his wand. “Obliviate.”

“Whoa! What was that spell?” Harry asked as the older woman's face went blank.

“Madam Pomfrey, Harry woke up and he's fine. You released him and he can leave at any time.” Albus said.

“Y-yes, he... he can leave.” Madam Pomfrey said and left to go back to her office.

“You can't do that to me.” Harry said when the office door closed.

“I know, it won't work.” Albus said and sat down. “I want you to tell me exactly what happened down there in the mirror room.”

Harry gave him a calculating look. “Why don't you know already? Aren't you the headmaster that controls my life?”

Albus sighed. “I am not all knowing, Harry.”

“Oh, I think you think you are.” Harry said. “I've had all year while talking to four of the smartest witches in Hogwarts about it. They all agree with me that you planned everything out in my life, right up until my uncle tried to kill me.”

Albus looked into the boy's eyes and really wished he could peer into his mind to see what Harry was hiding. “He might have tried to kill you; but, he is still your family and you must return to Privet Drive for the summer holidays.”

Harry chuckled. “Sure, sure. You can try to buy the house from the nice family that's owned it since last year and I can live there all by myself, completely unsupervised.”

Albus looked surprised. “Your family still lives there.”

“No, a family does. My uncle and aunt are in prison for decades and Dudley's in Juvie for another seven. They aren't family, either. They are just my relatives.”

Albus sat there and didn't say anything for several minutes.

“So, can I go now? I'm released, right?” Harry asked.

“You're not going to tell me what happened, are you?” Albus asked.

“What for? It's over, isn't it?” Harry asked and checked under his blanket. He only had his underwear on and looked around for his clothing.

“I must implore you to not tell anyone about what happened.” Albus said.

“What's implore mean?” Harry asked and opened the drawer in the nightstand and his clothing was inside.

“It's a polite form of begging.” Albus said.

“Uh, then no. Your words don't mean what you say they do.” Harry said. “Can you leave and give me some privacy to get dressed? I'm not comfortable having you here watching me.”

Albus thought about refusing and trying to convince the boy to not speak about things, then sighed. “Very well, Harry. I'll go.” He stood and gave Harry a piercing look. “If you tell people about what happened, you will only cause trouble for yourself.”

“For which part? Breaking the mirror? Quirrell dying from a protective spell? Or seeing that cloud-like thing?” Harry asked and smiled at the shocked look on the old man's face.

“That cloud-like thing was Voldemort.” Albus said in a whisper.

“That's good to know.” Harry gave him a calculating look. “What did you do with my old chest?”

“I burned it with Quirrell's clothing.” Albus said.

Harry shook his head at the blatant lie. “When you're done playing with it, I want it back.”

“I said I destroyed it.” Albus tried again.

“It's too valuable to do that and I said I want it back.” Harry said and quickly lifted his hand in a fist.

Albus jumped back and a shield popped into place between them.

“Made you flinch.” Harry said and smiled at the old man. “I want it back in my possession before I have to leave the castle or I am coming to your office to get it back from you.”

Albus stared at the boy that had made him react like a first year.

“You are not keeping what's mine.” Harry said and pointed at the curtain. “Now get out.”

Albus stopped himself from sighing and left.

“Nosy busy-body.” Harry said and stood up to grab his jeans. He unfolded them and saw a mirror shard and the remains of his t-shirt. He pulled the jeans on and felt a lump in the front pocket, so he reached inside and found the palm-sized ruby red stone that he had glimpsed in the mirror. “Huh. Neat.”

Harry didn't have a top to put on and there wasn't a new one in the drawer, so he was going to have to walk through the castle to the Hufflepuff common room with a bare chest. It was thicker than before, so he wasn't worried about it. He put on his sneakers and put the stone in his pocket before he wrapped the mirror shard in the t-shirt scraps and left the hospital wing.

The walk across the castle was an interesting one, because most of the girls in the hallways gave him significant looks, even the sixth and seventh years. A few of them even whistled. Harry took it all in stride and waved to each of them and stopped at the whistles and gave those girls kisses on the backs of their hands. That really got everyone talking.

Harry entered the Hufflepuff common room and at least two girls made comments about him being nearly naked and Susan had slapped a hand over her own face and sighed.

“I tore my t-shirt off after fighting Professor Quirrell, and the cloud-like thing that possessed him, over the Philosopher's Stone. No one visited me in the hospital wing and brought me something else to wear.” Harry told her, honestly.

“We weren't allowed to visit. You were too hurt, the headmaster said.” Hannah said.

“Well, I did have most of my chest removed and it took a while to grow it back.” Harry said and several girls gasped.

Beatrice was suddenly there and her hands caressed his new chest.

“Really?” Susan asked, surprised at Beatrice being so forward. She wasn't sure she liked the look on her face, either.

“Yep! I even broke the Mirror of Erised.” Harry admitted and that got a lot of reactions from people.

“Harry, there's no way that...”

Harry unwrapped the mirror shard and then wrapped it up again. “Give this to your aunt and she can tell for herself.”

Susan accepted the wrapped shard and nodded. “She's going to want to talk to you.”

“The headmaster warned me to not tell anyone.” Harry said with a knowing smile.

Susan barked a laugh. “You're not following that order, are you?”

“Nope!” Harry said with a grin.

*

Albus sat in his office two days later and heard a polite knock. He didn't wonder why his gargoyle guard hadn't stopped it from happening, because the letter on his desk told him. “Come in.”

The door opened and Amelia Bones entered the ornate office with several Aurors and Harry Potter.

“You know why we're here.” Amelia said when she saw the open letter on the man's desk.

Albus sighed and went to the cabinet with several whirling and spinning devices on it. He opened the doors below and took out a large glass case. One of the Aurors gasped when she saw it and her pink hair changed to a deep red. Confirmation of the events was shocking to her.

“You don't understand what you're interfering with.” Albus said and put the case on his desk and sat down.

“I was about to tell you the same thing.” Amelia said. “You allowed the spirit of Voldemort have access to hundreds of students for an entire year and then manufactured a confrontation between Mister Potter and the possessed Professor Quirrell.”

“It was the only way to get Harry to handle the situation. None of the other hints and clues I left for him during the year, made him try to investigate things or try to search out the things I needed for him to search for.” Albus admitted. “As you probably know, it worked. Harry successfully confronted both Quirrell and the spirit of Voldemort.”

“Who gave you the right to do that?” Amelia asked, her eyes squinted.

“I did, in my capacity as Chief Warlock.” Albus said, to her surprise. “Harry is the chosen one and only he can defeat Voldemort. He's proven it's true twice now.”

Amelia was a little stunned at the headmaster's words. He fully believed them and wasn't lying.

Harry walked over to the desk and picked up the case. He examined the contents from the top and then flipped it over to examine the underside. He gave a look to Amelia and nodded. “It's all there from what I can see.”

“Good. We'll take it to the Ministry and our specialists will examine it.” Amelia said.

“I want it back.” Harry reminded her.

Amelia put a hand on his shoulder. “Don't worry, Harry. You'll be allowed to observe with me, so you'll know we'll be as respectful as possible with your old chest.”

“Thank you.” Harry said and stepped back beside the pink-haired Auror.

“I can't arrest you for what you did with Miss Granger, because it falls within your duties as headmaster to assist her. Morally, you're an ass for manipulating Harry into rushing into danger because of her absence.”

“Like I told you, you have no idea what you're interfering with.” Albus said. “Fate cannot be denied.”

Amelia frowned at him. “Is it fate or just you forcing things to happen how you want them to happen?”

“Is there a difference if the outcome is the same?” Albus asked.

Amelia sighed. “You're going to keep twisting things in your favor, aren't you?”

“Twist things? No. They just are. I do what I do for the greater good of the wizarding world. As Chief Warlock, the safety of the magicals in Britain is my responsibility.”

“The abuse and torture of one of them is meaningless, because of all the others it helps.” Amelia said and the old man nodded. “So, when does it stop being beneficial?”

“What do you mean?” Albus asked.

“If ten individuals suffering would bring a lasting peace to thousands of others, is that acceptable?” Amelia asked.

“I suppose. The many would definitely benefit if only ten were needed to end conflict forever.”

“What about a hundred? Would you consider a hundred a fair trade for the safety of a hundred thousand?”

Albus saw what she was doing a little too late.

“That's only one person for a thousand. It's not a terrible price to pay, is it?” Amelia asked with a scowl on her face. “Is it, you old bastard?”

“Amelia.” A tall black man said and touched her shoulder.

“Yes, Kingsley. You're right. He's not worth getting upset over.” Amelia said. “I just wonder what the public will think about what you've done at this school.”

“As Chief Warlock, I'm declaring it a state secret.” Albus said and handed her an official letter. “Your investigation can continue and you can find out all the details if you wish. You cannot release the details or the results of it, however. The records will be sealed when you're done.”

“You're trying to cover up your guilt already?” Amelia asked.

“No, I am stopping a certain faction in the Wizengamut and in the population from learning that their dark lord is still around. Causing a nationwide panic and a resurgence in Death Eater activity is not in your job description, Amelia.”

Amelia thought about responding and Kingsley touched her shoulder again. “Damn you, Dumbledore.”

Albus nodded. “I know what my role must look like to someone like you and I'm sorry that you can't see that what I do is necessary for the safety of all.”

“So, he can admit to everything and he gets away with it?” Harry asked.

“Unfortunately.” The pink-haired Auror said and put an arm over his shoulders.

“Just like me, then.” Harry said, to everyone's surprise. “Your order came a little too late, headmaster.”

“Harry, you didn't.” Albus said and Harry gave him a crooked smile. “I warned you...”

“...that it would be bad for me to tell anyone. I remember.” Harry said and the young woman's arm over his shoulders stiffened.

“Did you threaten a student, headmaster?” Amelia asked.

“No, I merely pointed out that there are certain students in a particular house that would want to take revenge on him for what happened.” Albus said.

“Revenge from the Slytherins?” Harry asked, confused. “I get pats on the back from the guys and hugs from the girls.”

“Excuse me?” Albus asked.

“They're ecstatic that I killed that stuttering idiot and made you look foolish at the same time.” Harry said, once again to everyone's surprise. “I also got away with it and that made them even happier.”

“Harry, you need to stop talking.” The pink-haired Auror said.

“It's okay, Tonks. Nothing can happen to me, especially if what the headmaster said is true.”

“We can still charge you with a crime.” Tonks said.

“What crime? Defending myself? I didn't even use a wand.” Harry said and she looked conflicted. “I also destroyed a dark artifact, also without a wand. What crime did I commit?”

“I can charge you for being too damn cheeky.” Tonks teased.

Harry chuckled. “How sorry are you that you graduated last year and missed everything?”

“No comment.” Tonks said with a smile.

“If your business is done here, you're all dismissed.” Albus said.

“I want to examine that room and...” Amelia started to say.

“I removed it already.” Albus interrupted her. “It's purpose was served and it was no longer needed.”

Amelia gave him a glare. “I want to see the entrance and proof.”

Albus nodded and led them to the third floor and to the right room. He opened the door and it was clean with no Cerberus and no trap door.

Amelia cast several detection spells and cursed in her head. “The trap door was a portal.”

Albus smiled and waved them out of the room.

“It would explain how multiple rooms that were a lot wider than that part of the castle could exist under the floor and not interfere with the second floor at all.” Kingsley postulated.

Amelia managed to not shout as she spoke. “This isn't over, headmaster.”

“No, I don't suspect it is.” Albus said and gave a pointed look at Harry.

“Come on, Harry. I'll help you pack your things and get you to the train.” Tonks offered.

Harry nodded as he handed over the glass case to Amelia and then left with Tonks.

Amelia waited until they were out of earshot before she spoke. “You need to leave him alone.”

“You know I can't do that. The future of the wizarding world is on his shoulders.” Albus said.

“You can't put that kind of pressure on him!” Amelia spat.

“Ah, but the pressure has always been there. He is just unaware of most of it. For now.”

Amelia glared at the old man and she thought about slapping that smug smile off of his face. Instead, she nodded to the remaining Aurors and they left Albus in the third floor corridor.

*

“I can't believe you're sitting in a compartment with Slytherins, Hufflepuffs, a Ravenclaw, and a Griffindor.” Penelope said to Harry and looked around the compartment at Daphne Greengrass, Millicent Bulstrode, Susan Bones, Hannah Abbot, Lisa Turpin, and Hermione Granger.

“We stopped in to talk briefly before going back to our compartment.” Daphne said. “Your rounds just happened to coincide with that.”

“Really? It's not a secret all-house meeting to see what new things Harry Potter has managed to shock everyone with?” Penelope asked with a smile as she leaned against the closed compartment door.

Hermione snorted, Millicent barked a laugh, Susan shook her head, Hannah giggled, Lisa smirked, and Daphne kept her face mostly blank. The hint of a smile on her face gave her away, though.

“I was telling them about going to the Ministry tomorrow to see the Unspeakables.” Harry said.

“I thought they told you to not tell anyone?” Penelope asked, giving away that he had already told her.

“I won't keep my friends in the dark.” Harry said. “I was like that myself all my life.”

“It's not your fault that no one told you anything.” Susan said and pat his hand.

“Well, I'm not going to be like that anymore, thanks to all of you.” Harry said and looked at Penelope. “That means you, too.”

“Harry, I'm just your tutor.” Penelope said.

Harry stood up and looked into her eyes before he hugged her and kissed her passionately. Penelope completely forgot where she was and who was in the compartment as she kissed him back just as passionately.

Harry broke the kiss a minute later. “You're not just my tutor, you're my very first girlfriend.”

Penelope gasped and put a hand over her mouth. “H-Harry! You... you...” She looked around at the other girls and didn't see surprise there.

“No, it wasn't any of them that clued me in. It was Professor Sprout.” Harry said. “Her talk about what girls my age expected in a boyfriend and to not do it for a few years, made me see the truth.”

“W-wait... that talk was...”

“Near the first of the year.” Harry said and let her out of the hug and took her hand to pull her over to his seat and onto his lap. “I saw the difference between our lessons and our dates afterwards. By Christmas, I was positive we were boyfriend and girlfriend.”

Penelope reached up to her neck and touched the emerald pendant that matched his eye color.

“I definitely spent a little more on your gift than on my friends.” Harry admitted.

“A little more?” Hermione asked with a huff. “It's about the same cost as all of our gifts combined.”

“Well, she does let me play with and kiss her boobs.” Harry said.

“HARRY!” Penelope yelled and blushed deeply as she ducked her head down onto his shoulder to hide in embarrassment.

“It's going to be years before we can offer anything like that.” Daphne said. “Even Millie, as tall as she is, needs time to develop during puberty.”

“You're assuming he doesn't have a girlfriend by then.” Susan said. “Penelope's got him locked in for another two years yet.”

“Oh? Are you throwing your witch's hat into the ring?” Hannah asked, teasingly.

“No, and neither are you. We both like... um... other guys.” Susan said and blushed.

“She doesn't want to say Justin's name.” Hannah said.

“Hey! That was a secret!” Susan exclaimed and Hannah giggled.

“If we're going by seniority, Hermione would have the best claim.” Lisa said and Hermione let out a squeak sound and blushed. “You've spent half of every Sunday with him all year. Even his classmates can't claim that.”

“It's true, Hermione.” Harry said. “When Penelope graduates in two years and can't be with me anymore, do you want to give it a try and be my girlfriend?”

Hermione's blush didn't lessen as she looked over at him. “Two years is a long time. I'll only be fourteen then and... you might find someone else by then.”

“I forgot you were older by almost a year.” Harry said and looked at Penelope's face that was still tucked into his shoulder. “Maybe I like older girls better than younger ones?”

Penelope's blush lessened as she lifted her head and looked into her confirmed boyfriend's eyes. “I've hoped for most of the year that I successfully claimed you from the other girls.”

Harry gave her a kiss and nodded. “Only kisses and hugs. I didn't want to betray them or you, my secret girlfriend.”

“I don't mind being cover.” Millie said. “It's great to go out, even if it is fake.”

Penelope hopped off of Harry's lap and almost threw him across the compartment to Millie. Everyone laughed and smiled at that, except Millie.

“It's not fake.” Harry said and knelt in front of her as he took her hands. “Remember, I didn't even know what dating was until Daphne told me about it.”

“Yeah, but...”

“Who was the very first one I wanted to try it with?” Harry asked her and her eyes widened. “Yep, you. As soon as I knew what polite dating was, I had to take you out.”

Millie blushed. “You... you really...”

“I always made time for you on the weekends and we've even snuck off into the forest. I only do that with you.” Harry said and she nodded. “You've been a good friend to me all year and even let me kiss you. It's been the best year ever.”

“Harry...”

“If Hermione doesn't feel like she's ready, maybe you will?” Harry asked. “I think she's right, though. Two years is a long time. You might find someone you like, especially now that nearly everyone in Slytherin likes me.”

Daphne laughed and pat the other girl's shoulder. “Millie does get more attention because she's your friend.”

“And you don't?” Millie asked.

“I've always gotten attention. How do I separate out what's normal and what's because of Harry?”

“It's the same with me.” Hermione said and everyone turned to look at her. “I took Harry's advice after Halloween and I stopped trying to help my housemates. Nothing changed for a few weeks until Lavender noticed I was ignoring her. She kept pestering me about it and I kept ignoring her.”

“What happened?” Penelope prompted, because she had seen it and it had been a real eye opener.

“She confronted me loudly in the common room about it and I shouted back.” Hermione said with a smile. “I asked her how she liked it when people ignored her because she was a gossip and thought she was better than everyone.”

“Oh, wow.” Susan whispered.

“Yeah.” Hermione said. “She tried to explain that she does what she does to get people to like her and talk to her, so I shouted back that I used to do the same thing by trying to help everyone and that everyone hated me for it.”

Harry let Millie's hands go and went to Hermione to take hers.

“It was like a dam broke as Padma and Fay confessed to what they do to get people to like them, then the older girls started in and then the guys started to as well.” Hermione said.

“By the end, a bunch of us girls were crying and hugging.” Penelope said and pat Hermione's shoulder. “Hermione was right there in the middle of the huddle, too.”

“I took Penelope's example and offered to tutor students for a small fee.” Hermione said. “Apparently, people will pay for something they could have gotten for free if they had been nice about it.”

Harry chuckled and kissed the backs of her hands as he spoke in a gruff voice. “Sneaky Hermionzes!”

Hermione laughed at him imitating her favorite tragic character and smacked him on the shoulder.

“I couldn't resist.” Harry said and went back to his seat.

Penelope gave him a forlorn look. “I need to get back to my rounds.”

“It's a long train ride. I'll see you again.” Harry said with a smile.

“You certainly can hope so.” Penelope said with her own smile and left.

“We should go, too.” Daphne said and stood. “We'll see you in September.”

Harry stood again and gave her a hug and a light kiss on the lips. “Be well, Miss Greengrass. If you require my services or merely need an ear for your troubles, I am but an owl away.”

Daphne smiled warmly at him. “You really did read the whole book and not the chapter headings.”

“I remember it all, too.” Harry said and turned to Millie.

Millie wasn't reserved like Daphne and pulled Harry into a tight embrace and kissed him pretty soundly before she let him go. “Bye, Harry.”

“B-bye.” Harry said and Millie smirked at him before she followed Daphne out of the compartment.

“I don't know if I could take being a girl on the side, Harry. I hope you can survive with only being friends with me.” Lisa said and her words sounded years beyond her age.

“You're already breaking my heart and we haven't even gone on one date!” Harry exclaimed and it was Susan's turn to smack him while Hannah laughed.

“You poor, poor soul.” Lisa said and stood. “I'll see you later.”

“Don't study too hard.” Harry joked, knowing full well that she was a Ravenclaw and that would be all she would be doing for the summer.

“Jerk.” Lisa said with a laugh and went to the door of the compartment.

“Hey, Lisa.” Harry said and she turned to look at him. He held up the hair bow she had given him at the first of the year and he stuck it to the side of his head.

Lisa laughed again and also blushed a little as she left. She hadn't really expected him to keep it for this long and she was pretty flattered that he had.

“That was nice of you.” Susan said.

“Penelope taught me a lot of things this year.” Harry said and left the bow on his head. “She passed all her Owls, too.”

“How do you know that?” Hermione asked.

“Penelope said that when you make the examiners smile during the practicals, you're guaranteed a pass.” Harry responded. “She has to wait for a couple of weeks for the official results, though.”

Silence fell in the compartment and it was comfortable. The four friends didn't really need to talk to spend time together, especially if there was a good book close by for Hermione. She dove into it and started to read while Susan and Hannah started a whispered conversation.

Harry looked out the window of the train and watched the countryside pass by as he wondered how his life was going to turn out with so many friends around to help him. He had no one for the first ten years of his life and now he had a bunch of them and also a girlfriend. They were all nice to him and liked him for who he was. His fame wasn't a factor for them and he liked them all the more for that.

Because the headmaster had admitted that Harry was the chosen one, he could still get away with anything and not be punished for it. Also, thanks to his magically enhanced body, he couldn't be hurt. For an eleven year old wizard, that was a combination that was too enticing to resist, and Harry couldn't stop a huge smile from forming on his face.

The future definitely looked bright for the emerald-eyed young man.

EPILOGUE

“Wrestling a basilisk wasn't that hard.” A 25 year old Harry Potter told the reporter that sat on the chair across from him in the Ministry lounge.

“You were only twelve.” The very pretty witch said, almost in a purr. She couldn't help but admire the man's muscles and his piercing emerald eyes.

“I also had a lot of good friends around me.” Harry said. “If it wasn't for Hermione, I wouldn't have known to keep my eyes closed as I fought the thing.”

“You mean Miss Granger, Head of the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures?”

“That's her. She's been a huge help to me all these years.” Harry said.

“That's high praise coming from the new Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.”

Harry chuckled. “I'm sure that it was the basilisk that sparked her interest in creature welfare. The money we made from selling off the thing, set myself and all my friends up for life.”

“That was very generous of you to do that.” The reporter said as she kicked off her shoe and used her bare foot to lightly caress Harry's calf.

“They wouldn't accept it at first, which was understandable. We were all just kids back then.” Harry said. “It wasn't until a particular someone came to me for a loan a few months after she graduated, that I reminded her of her share of the money.”

“Who was that, pray tell?” The reporter asked and her foot slid up to Harry's knee.

Harry caught the foot by the toes and gently moved it away. “That's between me and her.”

The reporter frowned at the rebuff and then went back to the interview. “What about your next year? That was a spectacle.”

Harry huffed. “That was a huge Ministry mistake that I wish had been corrected long before my innocent godfather was killed by his supposed best friend.”

“Do you regret that the werewolf named Remus Lupin was put down?” The reporter asked.

“No, just like I don't regret that both Peter Pettegrew and Severus Snape were also killed by him.” Harry said. “It cleared up several distinct problems with that whole mess, now that I've gone over the files for myself and realized they were all more involved in everything than we already knew.”

“Then there was the Tri-Wizard Tournament.” The reporter prompted.

“Yes, and wasn't that a wonderful time for a fourteen year old?” Harry asked.

“Personally, I believe it was. You definitely proved that you really are the Boy-Who-Lived after being broiled by the Hungarian Horntail.”

Harry chuckled. “Luckily, it was just my clothes, my wand, and my buzz cut hair that I lost.”

“And your eyebrows.” The reporter said with a laugh.

“It took a week to grow them back, even with my magic enhancing me.” Harry said. “Getting trampled wasn't fun, though.”

“It made great press at the time.” The reporter said. “It made me seriously consider it as a career.”

“That your father owns the paper wasn't a factor at all, right?” Harry asked with a smirk.

“Harry, try to keep the personal knowledge to a minimum.” She responded.

“Sorry, Luna. Please continue.” Harry said.

“You miraculously get up after that, grab an egg and walk away and get bathed in dragon's flame breath again. That made the front page of every wizarding newspaper in the world.”

“I think that was more because my bits were hanging out for everyone to see and not because it was a great picture.” Harry joked and she laughed.

“I have a poster-sized one in my room.” Luna admitted, unashamedly. “On to the second task.”

Harry shook his head. “Why the judges thought Ginny Weasley was a good choice as my hostage is still being discussed by my friends.”

“You did save her from being possessed by the teenage spirit of Voldemort.” Luna said.

“Hey! You said it and didn't flinch! Good for you!” Harry praised her and she laughed. “I was dating Millient Bulstrode at the time and had taken her to the Yule Ball. She sure was pretty and everyone in the school saw it. She should have been my hostage, just like Cho was for Cedric and Hermione was for Victor.”

“No mention of the Veela, Miss Delacour?” Luna prodded.

“Fleur was in the same situation as I was. They should have used her date and used her sister instead.” Harry said. “I'm just glad I got her out of there before she suffered permanent damage from being in the water for so long.”

“Yes, Veela are weakened severely when immersed in water for long periods of time. It makes one wonder how they take baths and showers.”

“No idea.” Harry said. “Ginny wouldn't leave me alone for weeks afterwards and kept claiming we were meant to be together.”

“I tried to tell her not to bother you like that and she just wouldn't listen. You were her Prince Charming, twice, and she didn't want to admit that she wasn't someone you were attracted to.”

“Attracted to her? She looked just like my mother.” Harry said. “I don't sit around and wonder what it would be like to kiss my dead mother, let alone date her.”

Luna laughed and nodded. “That's a horrible thing to base a relationship on.”

“I totally agree.” Harry said. “So, the third task was the easiest of the three.”

“It really was. You walked through the hedges like they weren't there and grabbed the cup. I've never seen a portkey fail in the middle of using it.” Luna said. “Does that happen to you a lot?”

“More and more frequently as I get older.” Harry admitted. “The walk back to the podium wasn't that long, so using a portkey didn't really make sense.”

“It was for show. You were supposed to appear in a heap on the dais.”

“Yes, a great show.” Harry said with a roll of his eyes.

“You were the youngest Tri-Wizard Champion of all time. What did you do with the winnings?”

“I gave them to Cedric. He was the real Hogwarts Champion and he finished the maze right after I did.” Harry said. “He tried to give it back to me and I reminded him that I wasn't supposed to be entered anyways. Fake school and all that.”

“That was very nice of you.” Luna said.

“He named his first kid after me, the jerk!” Harry said with a laugh. “It's a good thing that Harriet Diggory-Chang is the cutest little girl you ever saw.”

“I know she is.” Luna said. “You paid for her to go through Hogwarts, didn't you?”

“It's been sitting in a trust vault for her since she was born. When she goes to Hogwarts in a couple of years, she won't have to worry about a thing.”

“I bet Cho's really happy about that.” Luna said.

“She sends me dinner invites every week to spend time with my god-daughter. I'm not going to say no to that.”

“That's so sweet.” Luna said and looked down at her notes. “On to fifth year.”

“Nothing of note happened.” Harry said.

“No? What about Lucius Malfoy challenging you to a duel for his family's honor?”

Harry sighed. “He was an idiot that thought I had his son killed during first year when we all know it was Quirrell and Voldemort's possession. He was trying to get revenge on me by setting the basilisk loose with the diary he gave Ginny during second year. When that didn't work, he tried political pressure against my godfather after he escaped prison in third year.”

“It was just failure after failure for House Malfoy.” Luna said.

“I didn't even use my wand.” Harry said and remembered the completely one-sided duel.

Lucius hadn't even pretended to try to use normal curses and cast dark ones right off the bat. He missed with several of them and then in frustration, he had cast an unforgivable curse, the Cruciatus Curse.

Harry had screamed for several seconds and felt his whole body and his brain tingle.

Lucius didn't let up on it for nearly ten seconds and the judge called him off. He ended it and had watched Harry twitch on the floor. “Yes, Potter! You are right where you belong! Tortured and at my feet! CRUCIO!”

Harry hadn't screamed the second time, though. No, he had slowly stood up and gave a calculating look to Lucius. “You really enjoy inflicting pain, don't you?”

Lucius hadn't let up and tried casting the spell several more times. When it still wouldn't work, he let out a frustrated yell and then spoke. “AVADA KADA-URK!”

“I survived that once.” Harry said and gripped the man's throat. “What makes you think I won't survive it again?”

The entire Great Hall had fallen silent at his words. A few seconds later, Lucius started to scream as his neck started to turn to ash.

“So, evil has corrupted you like Quirrell and you can't touch me without burning.” Harry said.

No one had stepped forward to pull him off of Lucius as the man's face started to change to ash as well. Harry let him go and Lucius fell backwards onto the floor, just like Quirrell, and his head caved in and the ash flowed over the body to dissolve it away.

Someone had shouted that the story of Quirrell's death had been true and word had spread quickly. Voldemort's time in the wizarding world was coming to an end, as were his followers.

“That was a spectacular revelation, Harry.” Luna said and brought Harry out of his memory.

“It didn't take long for the other Death Eaters to run.” Harry said. “I haven't seen Millie since then.”

“Does that mean what I think it means?” Luna asked, finally getting the scoop that she had been looking for.

“Yes, I'm coming for them. For all of them.” Harry said and looked into Luna's eyes. “Let everyone know that Harry Potter, The Man-Who-Keeps-Living, Evil's Bane, and the Head of the DMLE, is on the job. Their time is finally at an end.”

Luna quickly packed up her dicta-quill and parchment. “Thanks a lot for the interview, Harry.”

“I'd say any time; except, I have to keep things professional now.”

Luna smiled and leaned in to give him a kiss on the cheek. “Tell your wife I said hi.”

“I'm going to tell her about your wandering toes, too.” Harry said.

Luna laughed softly and walked over to the door. “She knows you'll never let them get past your knee. You never do.”

Harry chuckled and waved goodbye. He left the lounge and greeted several Ministry workers and a couple of the Aurors doing paperwork before he entered his office. His secretary was there at his desk doing paperwork.

“She let you go early.” The woman said without looking up.

“She raked me over the coals for my school years and didn't bother asking me about anything past fifth year. She didn't even ask me about what I did to Dumbledore after I graduated.” Harry said and lifted her face to give her a soft and tender kiss. “Have I ever thanked you for everything you've done for me?”

“Every single time we're in bed together.” Penelope Clearwater said with a smile.

Harry waved his wand and cleared off the desk and everything piled nicely in the corner.

“Oh, you can't seriously think that...” Penelope stopped talking when a cushioning charm was cast on the desk and Harry kissed her passionately. She was soon naked and on her back, her arms and legs wrapped around the man she deeply loved, and they christened the new desk together. Her training him since he was young had paid off spectacularly.

“I love you, Mrs. Potter.” Harry said and cuddled her tightly.

“I love you too, Mr. Potter.” Penelope said and kissed him passionately.

69