Chapter 50 Summer Training Camp
1.2k 4 52
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I was a bit later than usual posting today, as it was the 50th chapter and I had to write a bit more than usual. Here's a double sized chapter for you! Enjoy!

“Today you will all be testing your quirks for their limits, then you will be surpassing them.” Aizawa said to the gathered students at breakfast.

Itsuka put up her hand that expanded to be very large. “Sir? I can't make them larger than this.”

Aizawa pointed at Tanya. “Go ahead.”

“Strengthening like grip strength for holding things and toughening the skin with hard work and impacts on harder and harder materials.” Tanya said and everyone looked at her with raised eyebrows. “She could also temper her enlarged hands for extreme conditions with both heat and cold. The larger hands will be more difficult to move in cold and will probably sweat a lot in heat, are situations that need practice to overcome.”

Aizawa nodded. “I'm glad you've been thinking about how quirks work instead of just using them.” He said and looked at Itsuka. “We'll pair you up with someone that can help you strengthen what you can already do. Can you lift more than what you normally can with bigger hands? What about dexterity? Can you hold eggs without breaking or dropping them?”

Now everyone looked back at him.

“That's what this summer training camp is about. You will all have a chance to improve yourselves here.” Aizawa said and the students started whispering about the things they could potentially do.

Tanya couldn't stop her hand as she raised it. She needed to make a point and she was sure she wasn't going to be liked when it was. “Where are all of the rest of the teachers that should be here for both protection and guidance?”

The chattering students all fell silent and looked at Aizawa.

Aizawa managed to not sigh. “It was decided that too many teachers leaving the school unprotected would be an invitation for the villains to attack.”

The students talking started again, only it was about the potential villain attack back at the school.

“So, you sacrificed the safety of all the hero students for the supposed safety of the general students that are all home with their parents and not even at the school?” Tanya asked, pointedly.

“Yeah! Why is their safety more important than ours?” Someone asked.

Aizawa did sigh this time. “I meant that if there were a bunch of teachers here, it would become a target for the villains.”

“You do realize that we are almost completely unprotected out here in the wilderness?” Tanya asked and motioned around her. “There are at least sixteen hidden approaches to the main lodge and with only you, Vlad King, and four Pussycats to guard and protect the 40 charges under your care, we are severely exposed.”

The chatter really picked up at her words and Aizawa glared at her for saying what she did.

“Whoever changed the venue didn't account or anything at all, did they?” Tanya asked him and he didn't respond. “At the real camp, they would have had extra guards, proper food preparation for this many students, and real sleeping accomodations and not hastily built bunks.”

“We are all making due with what we have available.” Mandalay said. Her face had a fake smile on it.

“Yes, by making us do it because you aren't equipped to do it yourselves with no preparation.” Tanya said. “If you didn't have us cook our own food, we wouldn't have anything to eat.” She looked at the other Pussycats. “What about laundry? Who's going to take care of that?”

The happy Pixie-Bob forced a smile onto her face as well. “We have a great washing machine and you'll all be taking turns using it!”

Momo raised her hand and spoke. “When exactly are we supposed to do our own clothes washing with so many of us to do it?”

“Yeah! We have training, schoolwork, and everything else during the day!” A guy's voice said from across the room.

“We're going to be too tired at the end of the day for menial tasks.” Aoyoma said and his eyes sparkled.

Some of the other students started grumbling about not knowing how to wash clothing, because they were only young and hadn't learned anything like that. They wanted to become heroes, not launderers.

Tanya sat there and didn't add more fuel to the fire, even though she easily could. She would wait and make another point when it was relevant, like individual baths after their workouts and privacy for the girls from peeping boys. Her eyes went to each of the heroes as they tried to calm the others down and she looked at Aizawa. He was still glaring at her and she smiled as she held a finger up and then put up a second one.

Aizawa lost the glare and used a hand to rub his face. He now knew that she was going to do this again later and there wasn't really anything that he could do about it. There was almost no support structure out this far and his reasoning was the one given for the other teachers not coming along. He did not tell anyone that Midnight had suggested the teachers arrive at different times to relieve any suspicion.

“If you're all done eating, we need to get to your training.” Aizawa said and the talking died down.

“What about...” Someone started to say.

“We can deal with any issues after getting you all working on improving yourselves.” Aizawa interrupted. “That is why you're here.”

When no one else spoke, Aizawa split them into smaller groups with similar quirks and sent them to each of the Pussycats for assignments. He was left with a group of odd powers that he and Vlad would have to handle personally, as they needed individual attention. He wasn't surprised that Tanya was in the last group.

“I have a question.” Tanya said and Aizawa sighed, because he knew this was coming. “How do I train with my quirk when I wasn't allowed to bring anything to do it?”

“Was that your second disruption?” Aizawa asked.

“No, I'm saving that for later. This is a personal question that only applies to a few of us.” Tanya said and motioned to the other students that needed equipment to utilize their quirk properly. “We are at a distinct disadvantage in training without our equipment.”

The other students nodded in agreement and Aizawa rubbed his face again, which really showed off his frustration.

“Before you say we will have to deal with it because of where we are, we were supposed to go to another location that you changed at the last minute. Would they have had replacement equipment there for us?” Tanya asked.

Aizawa didn't want to lie about it, so he didn't. He was already being screwed over anyway. “No.”

“President Nezu really screwed up for someone that's supposed to be so smart.” Tanya said and Aizawa gave her a pointed look. “He could have split the classes up like you just did and sent them to different locations, had teachers escort them, and kept it all secret. Even the students going somewhere wouldn't know where anyone else went unless they were in their group.”

“That sounds great!” Setsuna Tokage, the Lizard Split quirk girl said. “Why didn't they do that?”

“It's called compartmentalization and President Nezu isn't smart enough to accept that a human way of thinking can be better than his own.” Tanya said and the others stared at her, even Aizawa. “It's true.”

“In any case, we will work with what we can find to get you started.” Aizawa said.

“I'm sure I'm not allowed to practice flying, since we're supposed to stay low key here.” Tanya said and Aizawa held in his sigh this time. “Does anyone here know of anyone around that owns a gun or...”

“NO!” Aizawa yelled and everyone except Tanya jumped at his shout.

Tanya let some of her manic smile show on her face. “Does that mean you know what's going on behind my back?” She asked and then added another word in as sarcastic a tone as possible. “Sir?”

Aizawa couldn't stop the shiver he felt at the look in her eyes. “This is not the time to...”

Tanya let her smile grow wide to show it fully and the other students stepped back from the frightening sight. “I believe you and I will be having an... enlightening... discussion later.”

Aizawa knew that he was in quite a lot of trouble now. The information he had come across during some of his nightly investigations would be compromised if he allowed himself to be interrogated by his student, and he knew she would be conducting an interrogation and not a discussion as she claimed. No, he knew that look and had used it himself on many occasions.

Tanya saw the knowledge on Aizawa's face and knew that he realized she wasn't going to settle for anything except full disclosure. He didn't look resigned to it, so it was going to be interesting to see how he was going to handle it. She let her smile fade away and motioned to the other students.

“Go ahead and get them all working. I can wait and see what it is that you're going to suggest I do to enhance my quirk.” Tanya said and stepped back.

Aizawa nodded acceptance and did as she asked. Over the next hour, He discussed things with the other students and took each of them to an area in the compound that they could alter slightly for them to practice and to strengthen their quirks.

Tanya stood there the whole time with a patient look on her face and watched him like a hawk, just so he couldn't slip away and say he forgot about her.

By the time Aizawa returned to her, he had worked out what he thought was a good exercise for her to use her quirk. He decided that using rocks of various sizes, from pebbles to boulders, and making her control their trajectory to land in the same spot each time, no matter the size or what blocked the spot.

Tanya waited until he was done telling her that she would have to gather the rocks from where the other students were using their quirks and causing damage, then she laughed. She didn't stop for several minutes and none of the students looked over or commented about it.

“I don't understand what you think is so funny.” Aizawa said when Tanya calmed down.

“I've been doing that since I was six.” Tanya said and walked a few steps away and picked up a coin-sized rock. “Pick something for me to hit. Anything at all. It doesn't matter where it is.”

Aizawa thought about being an asshole and picking the next mountain peak, then remembered Tanya's quirk assessment where she threw a baseball and broke the sound barrier with it. It wouldn't be unreasonable, so he smiled.

“There's a small pagoda at the top of the next mountain where people...” Aizawa started to say and saw her glance that way.

Tanya's hand flashed towards him and Aizawa stopped talking as he felt the little rock graze his ear and move his hair. What surprised him was that she had thrown it quite far to the left of where she was looking. They both stood there for about ten seconds as she continued to look off to the right.

“Five, four, three, two, one.” Tanya said and looked back at Aizawa as a resounding gong echoed back to them. “Is there anything else you would like to teach me, sir?”

Aizawa thought about mentioning using a large boulder, then he remembered the twenty foot wide piece of concrete stage that she had caught during the Sports Festival and had thrown back at Izuku like it was nothing.

“I need to monitor the other students.” Aizawa said instead of suggesting anything and walked over to stand with Vlad as he watched his own group of students.

Tanya held in her laugh at stumping the man. She had thought Aizawa was abreast of her training and abilities; but, it seemed that with twenty students to take care of, she and Izuku had been ignored to let him concentrate on the students that actually needed his help. She was fine with that, since some really did need his help to make themselves better.

The provisional license exam was no easy thing to handle and she was sure that if her name appeared on any of the official documentation, the difficulty was going to be raised far beyond that of the normal requirements... unless Izuku completed the mission she had given him.

*

Izuku was ecstatic as he sat in the provisional license examination control room and pilfered the testing data. He had actually found the code book on the USB device and it let him decode everything from the secret messages sent through back channels to blatant texts sent through civilian cell phones to key people in both the government and their families.

Thanks to having the code book and the specific catch phrases and counter-codes, he had sent messages from burner cell phones to change the plans to ones that were favorable for both Tanya and himself. It also led him right to the people that were relays and he eliminated them and took their phones. He kept doing their jobs, used their own codes, and altered things just enough to be acceptable.

Tanya was really going to thank him for not only succeeding in the mission, she would be grateful that he had taken the next logical step and infiltrated the enemy's network of contacts. It provided her with a vital source of information that she could use and manipulate how she wanted to and also gave her first notice if anything new was going to be introduced against her.

Izuku finished up with the computers and erased his tracks, like Tanya showed him, and then sent the code message thanking his contact for allowing their agent to ensure the testing facility would become that much more difficult for certain participants to complete. He smiled at the confirmation and left the room by the hidden entrance and the security cameras turned back on to show an empty room.

*

The students stopped training and prepared lunch for themselves, then they had the afternoon off to bathe and hang out until supper. That was an ordeal, especially when it was revealed that there was only one hot spring available and not a full resort like it was supposed to be.

A short and fierce battle of wills was fought and the girls won first turn, as if that was in any doubt, and they spent the next two hours washing up and talking as they relaxed. Tanya used her viewing ability to make sure that none of the boys tried to peek at them. She also kept a pile of pebbles with her, just in case. The girls thanked her every time her hand twitched and a pebble went missing.

After the boys had their turn to wash and relax, they all gathered to prepare supper for everyone and then the Pussycats did a little presentation and said that the evening's activity would be a game. A few of the students were excited about that and Tanya wasn't buying it. The look on Aizawa's face gave it away.

“Stop pussyfooting around and tell us what this game is.” Tanya said and a few of the girls giggled.

“Class 1-B will be seeded through the forest nearby and it will be their job to scare the students of Class 1-A as they walk through a select path in pairs.” Mandalay said with a smile on her face. “When 1-A returns, you'll switch roles and it will be Class 1-B's turn to be scared. Whoever scares the most students, wins.”

Complete silence fell in the room and the students exchanged nervous looks.

Tanya stood up and looked at the heroes that were supposed to protect them. “Are you really telling us that we are to go out into the woods, in pairs, and scare other students? In the middle of a dark forest and in unfamiliar territory? With only you idiots around to keep us safe?”

“Hey!” Pixie-Bob exclaimed.

“What?” Tanya asked and glared at her. “Go ahead and tell me that it's not the stupidest thing you've ever heard? You want to send students NOT TRAINED WITH SURVIVAL SKILLS out into the wilderness along a trail THEY HAVE NEVER SEEN BEFORE and they are to scare ANYONE THAT COMES NEAR THEM?”

Everyone winced, even the heroes.

“Go ahead and tell me that spreading out all of the people here and hiding in unfamiliar woods is a good idea!” Tanya shouted. “I want you to LOOK ME IN THE EYE and tell me that you are willingly giving up YOUR FUCKING JOB to protect us! TELL ME!”

The four Pussycats stared at her with their mouths open and they did not have smiles on their faces.

“We are supposed to be learning to cooperate and work as a team! We are supposed to be friendly and enjoy our summer vacation! We are supposed to get better at using our quirks and learn how to be heroes!” Tanya said and glared at them and then at Aizawa. “HOW THE FUCK IS SCARING PEOPLE IN THE FUCKING FOREST AT NIGHT, CONSIDERED TRAINING FOR US TO WORK TOGETHER?!?”

Complete silence fell and everyone looked shocked, especially the heroes assigned to be chaperones.

“I think Tanya wins.” Mina said and shivered as she hugged the Invisible Girl, Toru. “That was scary.”

“Angry Tanya is Scary Tanya. She wins.” Ochako added as she hugged Tsu, whom nodded.

“Tanya wins!” A bunch of the students said and the rest agreed.

Tanya lost the angry look and glanced around at everyone. “Guys, girls, that wasn't the point I was trying to make.”

“We know.” Momo said and took her hand. “You were angry on our behalf and we all appreciate that. It was still scary.” She said and smiled. “I think the point of their game was to scare us and see who was braver, which I agree with you. It's stupid.”

“It's supposed to be a test of courage.” Aizawa said.

“No, it's a scare tactic.” Tanya said and felt Momo squeeze her hand. “I won't yell anymore.”

Momo smiled and didn't let the hand go.

“Using tactics like that, you're actually discouraging students from becoming heroes.” Tanya said and a bunch of the other students nodded. “If this is how you train the best students in the country, I would hate to know how you trained the worst.”

That made the heroes shut up and there was complete silence as everyone thought about that.

“Hey, where's Kota?” Pixie-Bob asked and looked down at the floor, as if he would appear there.

“I told him to not go out tonight!” Mandalay said loudly.

“He thought we were playing a game with the students.” Tiger said, a bit sadly. “You know what he thinks of all of this.”

“We need to split up and search for him!” Mandalay said and took a hero pose. Her teammates did as well and the our of them yelled. “YEAH!”

Aizawa nodded. “Split up like you did in training.” He told the students. “We'll get the search organized and then we'll send you out to...”

“SHUT UP, YOU IDIOTS!” Tanya yelled and a few of the girls and one guy yelped in surprise.

“Tanya!” Momo exclaimed.

“I'm sorry, it had to be said.” Tanya said and pat her hand, then let it go. She turned and glared at the heroes. “You morons are not allowed to organize anything anymore!”

“Hey!” Pixie-Bob exclaimed.

Tanya pointed right at Ragdoll. “What's that idiot's quirk again? Hmm? Tell me what she can do!”

Everyone in the room wilted slightly and the Pussycats all blushed at the reminder.

“Her quirk is Search, that she can use for miles around, in case anyone forgot.” Tanya said and managed to not roll her eyes. “She can observe and monitor up to 100 people at a time, including their location. So, what should we do right now? We should split up and run around randomly in the forest and try to stumble across someone that one of us knows the location of! What a great idea!”

Nearly everyone groaned and the heroes looked embarrassed.

“Ragdoll, where is Kota?” Mandalay asked in a soft voice.

“He's at his secret hideout again.” Ragdoll said with a bright blush, then she caught her breath. “There's also a large man nearby with a strong quirk that leaves his eyes vulnerable.”

Everyone froze at her words, except for Tanya.

“How many others are here that are not inside the lodge right now?” Tanya asked her.

“E-e-eight.” Ragdoll said. “Four at the edge of the forest, two to the west, one at the cave, and three near the north entrance.”

“Where's the highest point near here?” Tanya asked.

“The roof balcony.” Ragdoll said right away, not realizing what that meant.

“You're my spotter for the night.” Tanya said and was instantly across the room. “Everyone else stay here!” She ordered as she grabbed Ragdoll's arm and then the two of them disappeared.

“What just happened?” One of the students asked and nearly everyone shook their heads and looked confused, except for Aizawa and Vlad. They knew what was about to happen and were sure they needed to stop it. They weren't sure if they should, despite Nezu's orders.

*

A sleepy Izuku heard the buzz in his ear and jumped up from his chair at the monitoring station inside their mostly secret base. “I'm here! What do you need?”

“Get your ass to the training camp right now.” Tanya's strained voice said. “I can hold them off for a little while longer...”

“Just kill them!” Izuku said and changed into his stealth uniform. “I'll deal with the fallout!”

“I have a spotter.” Tanya said.

Izuku cursed and ran out the entrance to the base at the best speed he could in enclosed spaces, then he let his quirk fill him when he was outside and the sonic boom woke up half of the neighbourhood. He ran for a hill and jumped in the direction of where he needed to go and used Float to transfer running speed to flying speed.

“I'll be right there!” Izuku said as he soared through the air.

*

Tanya let another shot go and Ragdoll told her the ones in the west were moving. She held in a frustrated growl and changed her aim to use an explosive pellet to knock the villains away again. She hadn't had enough time to equip up, so she only had the pellets that were already in her guns. It was not going to be enough for her to keep all of the villains at bay, even if she put the pistol ammo into her rifle.

“New target.” Ragdoll said. “Two miles. One mile. In the forest right in front of the lodge.”

*BOOOOOM!*

Tanya covered Ragdoll's eyes and her own as leaves and wood splinters showered over the roof balcony.

*CRACK!*

A sonic boom echoed and Ragdoll screamed as she covered her ears. Tanya took the opportunity and applied slight pressure to the woman's neck and knocked her out.

“Thanks for the assist. Spotter is out.” Tanya whispered and put the last of her ammo into her rifle. “Only four shots left. Largest threat is by a mountain cave.” She said and gave the coordinates.

“Use head shots to be sure.” Izuku said and there was a squelch sound. “Mountain threat eliminated.”

Tanya took aim and used her viewing spell. “Largest group of four at the forest edge.”

Izuku followed the coordinates as Tanya took aim at the two villains to the west. Two penetrating shots later, Tanya aimed at the north entrance of the lodge property. There were three targets and she only had two shots left. She chose the two oddest looking ones and blew their heads off. The third ran.

“Villain in the north fleeing.” Tanya said and took out a coin. “Two remain near the west.”

“Four more eliminated.” Izuku said and listened to the coordinates. “On my way.”

Tanya quickly etched markings onto the metal and charged up the 500 yen piece as she took her time to aim. A moving target was a bit more difficult to hit than a stationary one, so she waited until the lizard-like man paused to catch his breath and threw the coin. She watched with her viewing spell as the coin split the villain's muzzle and then exploded.

“One is a Nomu.” Izuku said and grunted.

“Don't play with it.” Tanya said and Isuku chuckled.

“Just saving up some kinetic energy.” Izuku said and she heard a little hum and then a crunch.

“Do you need a hand with the clean-up?” Tanya asked.

“No, I got it.” Izuku said. “I also have a present for you.”

“Drop it off at the appropriate meeting place. I'll pick it up later.” Tanya said.

“You do realize they are going to cancel the camp.” Izuku said.

Tanya thought about that. “Drop the Nomu near the lodge where you landed.”

“Nice. Cover and a good excuse for you to be out of ammo.” Izuku said. “Delivering now.”

Tanya looked up and saw a large purplish-blue colored body flop through the air and land right in the center of the depression and destruction that Izuku had made when he landed. “Nice shot.”

“Thank you. I learned from the best.” Izuku said and was quiet for a moment. “What do you want me to do with the kid when I go back for the villain's body?”

“Did he see you deal with the villain?” Tanya asked.

“Kind of.” Izuku explained and said all the kid saw was his back as he blasted the weirdly muscular villain's head clean off.

“Then scoop him up and cover his eyes, explain that you're there to protect him, and give him your earpiece.” Tanya said.

“I'm not sure what you're playing at.”

“I'm changing his look of heroes from the idiots raising him to one that's more realistic.” Tanya said and stood up. She didn't bother trying to wipe off the leaves or splinters. They would help with her explanation. “You should see the scathing looks he gives them. It's adorable.”

Izuku laughed and then went silent.

“H-h-hello?” A boy's voice asked.

“Hello, Kota.” Tanya said as she opened the door to go inside the lodge and then picked up Ragdoll. “My name is Tanya DeGraff.”

The boy was silent for a moment. “I know who you are.”

“Good.” Tanya said and carried Ragdoll into the lodge and began the slow walk down to the ground floor. There were far too many doorways and small hallways for her liking.

“Is it true?” Kota asked.

“He's going to always be listening for your voice, just like he listened for mine.” Tanya said.

“You called for him?” Kota asked, surprised.

“Not every form of communication fails out this far.” Tanya said. “He's going to drop you off next to the creature that tried to attack. Is that okay?”

“Did he do it?” Kota asked.

“Yes. He doesn't like it when I'm in danger.” Tanya said.

“Okay.” Kota said and there was silence for several moments. “He said to keep it secret.”

“That's because by law, he wasn't supposed to save me. Or you.” Tanya said and almost laughed at the boy's growl. “We're going to say I shot it. If you keep Izuku out of it, he'll become your secret protector, too.”

“Deal!” Kota said with excitement.

Tanya chuckled. “Hit the little button to end the call. It's time for the show.”

“Okay.” Kota said and clicked off.

Tanya wiped the smile off of her face and kicked open the door into the large communal living room that everyone had been in. To her surprise, everyone was still there, even Aizawa and the Pussycats.

“It's over.” Tanya said and complete silence met her words, then the students cheered.

52