Chapter 4
275 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ava's POV:

I woke up on an uncomfortable spot of grass in the middle of a field. Something sharp was poking into my back and I groaned, rolling over uncomfortably. It was still raining but it seemed the rain was normal now, I was soaked from head to toe and shivered. I stood up and opened my eyes, the sight before me made me puke up everything in my stomach. 

I retched and looked at the hundreds of bodies littering the ground. Thousands of flies swarmed the deceased and I noticed one of those winged people, his body impaled by a spear and stuck into the ground. Large ring finger sized maggots were crawling in and out of bloody holes poked into the dead. 

I retched again as one crawled over my foot. I looked around, hoping to find Abbadon but he was no where to be seen. I begin to panic and started to run home. Something seemed off, I could hear things better, I seemed faster, more agile. Although I was in a perpetual state of shock my body felt amazing. 

What would have taken a 20 minute jog and then some took me about 5 minutes to reach my house. I looked at the surrounding suburban neighborhood and realized something was wrong. The majority of the houses seemed empty, no lights, no usual neighbors sitting on the porches, doors stood ajar, cars stopped in the middle of the street. It was like everyone had vanished. 

As I walked the little stone path towards my own front door I stopped. Panic begin to overtake my senses. My door was open, all the lights off, I noticed in the hallway plates were broken, a lamp had fallen and was shattered and to my horror, big ugly claw marks streaked the sides of the walls. 

I hesitantly stepped through the threshold, and walked through the house. No one was here. I walked into the living room and saw a large pile of ash and a smaller one. My little brothers shoes Sat turned over beside the smaller pile of ash. Tears started to prick my eyes as I ran into my parents bedroom. 

My mother was sprawled out on the floor, her eyes completely white and milky. It looked like the life had been drained out of her. Spider veins covered her neck and lower face, making it look like her body had been submerged for days. I collapsed on the floor as I noticed a huge bloody claw mark running right through her stomach, her organs spilling out into her limp, lifeless arms. I started sobbing as I realized I'd lost everyone I cared about. After what felt like hours laying on the floor crying I finally got up. 

I was incredibly uncomfortable in these clothes so I walked towards my bedroom, then stopped at the doorway as I heard something large blundering around inside. I quietly opened the door and flipping my bed upside down was a large gargoyle. It turned towards me growling, it's glowing red eyes looking straight at mine. 

I froze and started to panic. A deep voice in my head spoke to me. 'Kill it. Use my strength' 

the voice startled me and I fell backwards as the gargoyle lunged forward. I let out a frightened squeak as I was preparing to join my family in death, but somehow my body moved on it own, grabbing the gargoyle by its throat with impossible strength. 

My eyes widened as I felt my spine lengthen, a large black tail shot out from behind me, impaling the gargoyle through its heart. My hand let go of the creatures throat and the tail flung it towards the wall. A sickening Crack echoed through the house as I was sure it's spine had been broken. 

I collapsed to the floor as I regained control over my body. "What the fuck.." I whispered out loud, stunned in bewilderment. I turned my head towards the adjacent wall and noticed my self in the mirror. "WHAT THE FUCK!?" I screamed as I saw my reflection. The first thing I noticed was my hair. Instead of its usual brunette black it was almost completely white now. My eyes were a bright yellow color, my pupils slits almost like a cats. Swaying gently back and forth behind me was a giant tail, the tip was a sharp, spiky point and looked to be made out of bone, similar to my teeth. 

I opened my mouth and realized I had a full set of pointy fangs, kind of like a sharks.. Almost the same as.. Realization dawned on me. I looked similar to him! I reached up and poked one of my large black and white fox ears, it twitched at my touch, they seemed to be very sensitive. 

I noticed that I was slightly shorter than before. Standing at around 5'7 whereas before I was 5'10. Shocking me out of my staring contest with myself, that deep voice begin to speak to me again. 'Examine yourself later. You must leave. Angels will be there soon.' The voice said. "Angels? Why do I have to leave?" I asked aloud.  'They will kill you. Find the archangel Michael.' 

I groaned, I couldn't tell if I was going crazy or if all of this was real. I was still half expecting to wake up and find that I was dreaming. I stood up from the mirror and grabbed a small backpack, I stuffed a few sentimental items, some spare clothes and a bottle of water inside then zipped it up and slung it around my shoulder. I noticed a white light outside the front door so I decided to climb out my bedroom window. I crouched behind a bush as angels begin to float around all the houses, searching for who knows what. 

I had to think quick.. Maybe I could see if Samantha was okay? I looked up and saw the angels hammering large crosses into the roofs of the houses. I started crying as they set them ablaze and the flames begin to spread. I whispered a quiet goodbye to my family and the home I grew up in. Turning my back from the scorching neighborhood, I jumped the garden fence then ran into the woods, taking the fastest way to Samantha's house I knew.

11