Chapter 13
1.4k 16 72
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I’m sure a lot of math teachers love to believe that you’ll always need math in your day-to-day life. As someone who lived for three years just fine on their own without doing math even once, I can promise that isn’t true.

Mrs. Meyers was one of those math teachers that believed that nonsense. Her room was decked out in math-related motivational posters and media, and she seemed genuinely passionate about the subject.

I don’t really like math. Numbers just don’t make sense to my brain. Never have. Probably never will. But hey, that’s fine, right? I mean, it’s not like anyone expects the poor homeless girl - er, kid, to do well in school. So here I am, slinking into the remedial math class. Unlike ‘home room’ which was packed with desks and students, this room only has ten desks, and only six are filled.

I’m not typically one to judge based on appearances, but I’d guess this was a class for the ‘challenged’ kids even if I knew nothing about it being a remedial class. Most of them seemed to be dealing with one or more developmental setbacks or major behavioral issues. I suddenly felt incredibly guilty about being placed in this class just because I ran away from school and normal life. 

“Welcome… Katarina, right?” Mrs. Meyers asked.

I nodded. “Um, just Kat is fine…” The other students look at me. A boy who appears to have Down’s syndrome turns in his seat and smiles at me. I nervously smile back and wave.

Mrs. Meyers motions at the empty desks. “Help yourself to a seat, and we’ll get started with today’s lesson!”

I move to one of the open seats in the back corner, and Mrs. Meyers approaches and sets a math textbook on my desk. “Here you are, Kat. We’re on Page 212.”

“Thanks…” I open the book and start quickly paging through to find 212. I expected the work to be challenging to catch up on, but honestly looking at this now it looks similar to the stuff I was doing when I left school. Maybe a little more complicated. Still, it was hardly as great a challenge as I was expecting. More than anything it’s just boring to go through it all.

When the bing-bong of the bell signals we are free to go to the next class, Mrs. Meyers reinforces that we need to have the exercise at the end of the chapter done by class tomorrow. Homework, ah, I didn’t miss that.

The next class was remedial History. I never really studied history before this, short of the early settlers and such, so learning about World War 2 is actually pretty neat. I’m almost sad when the bell rings and I’m free to go to lunch. I actually have no idea where I’m supposed to get lunch here. The schedule just says I have lunch. Alright then. I approach the teacher, clearing my throat. “Excuse me, Mr. Waters, um… could you tell me where I should go for lunch period?”

The older, not-quite-rotund man smiles warmly. “Of course. Downstairs on the first  floor, head over to the east wing, you’ll see the cafeteria. I hope you have a good lunch, Ms. Carson!”

“Um, thank you, Mr. Waters.” I nod and turn to head off to find lunch. I’m practically starving. Making my way through the halls is at least less challenging now, since it seems like only a few groups of students go to lunch at any given time.

==========

The cafeteria is far larger than any of the classrooms I’ve seen so far, with rows and rows of tables set up, most with a smattering of students already seated and eating. There’s a long line weaving into a doorway at the front of the room and coming out another doorway with trays of food. Okay. So I need to go in there. Easy enough. Wait, kids are paying for the food at the register on the other side... Oh! Right! The money Jen gave me! I smile and continue into the line. The woman at the register looks furious with me when I hand over the $100 bill for a $6 lunch. Still, she counts out change and I put it back in my purse. Then comes the part of trying to find a place to sit. 

“Hey, new girl!” the girl from Home Room calls out, waving at me. “C’mere!” 

Oh, good. Now other people are looking at me. I hurry over to the spot because it’s better than standing here being stared at. I put the tray down and then sat, being sure to prevent my skirt from bunching up - learned that lesson when I sat down too fast in History. Woops. 

“Hey guys, say hi to the new girl, Kat. She’s in my home room.” A few other kids sitting around her nod, and offer mixed greetings. “Kat, this is Belle, Andi, Bryce, and— oh there he is.” Another tray is set down beside me.

“Hey,” Pete says as he takes a seat, looking at the others at the table before he looks at me.

“Pete?!” I gasp, and his expression shifts, his brow rising. 

“Do I know you?”

Of course you know me! That’s what I was about to say, at least, but my brain kicked in in time. Of course he doesn’t recognize me. I’m a freaking girl! How do I save this situation? Think, Kat… “Oh uh, I uh… went to the same middle school as you?” 

Pete got a far away look in his eyes, like he was struggling to remember, but he shrugged a moment later. “Oh, that explains why you seem sorta familiar then! Cool.” With that resolved he smiled and returned his attention to the wider group.

Girl from Home Room (I really need to ask her name) shot me a look, quirking her brow. But she didn’t say anything. Thank you, mysterious girl, for not outing me in front of your friends.

Conversation focused around me for a while - when did I move here, where was I living, were my eyes contacts (I lied and said yes). Things only got really awkward when Belle looked at me, and smiled this little smile that made me anxious.

“So,” she started, “do you have any guys you like here yet?”

“What?! No!” I snapped quickly, feeling my face go hot. 

“Aw… Too bad, Pete,” Belle teased.

“What?” Pete replied, and when I glanced over at him quickly, his ears were a bit pink. I’d only ever seen him like that once or twice before. 

“Yeah, you’re not being subtle, dude,” Bryce said with a shit eating grin. “You’re just lucky she’s been looking over towards us most of the time.”

“I wasn’t-” Pete started, but Andi cut him off.

“You totally were,” she laughed. 

“Huh??” I’m so freaking lost trying to follow this whirlwind conversation between the group.

Belle pulled me closer to her side and whispered in my ear. “He’s been checking you out this whole time, girl…” 

My face went even hotter, and I covered it with my hands to prevent them from seeing it, which in hindsight was just as big an admission of what was going on.

The others at the table (excluding Pete and myself) were laughing now. Oh god, please just let me disappear. This is so embarrassing. 

“C-come on you guys. Cut it out,” Pete said quickly. Is he defending me? Or himself? Both? The idea that he’s defending me causes a flutter in my stomach, and I will it to calm down. This stupid feeling I get around him… I hoped it would go away and quit confusing me. But no, here it is, going strong.

“Well, she did say they went to the same school. Maybe it’s an old flame, huh?” Andi grinned at me.

“No! Nothing like that!” I shook my head quickly.

“Really? I think you two would be cute together,” Home Room Girl said, a dark grin on her lips. Oh I take it back. You are the devil, Home Room Girl. 

“Absolutely. You should definitely take her out tonight and show her around the city, since she’s new and all,” Bryce suggested. 

“Yeah, especially since you know the city so well from hanging out with that homeless kid you’re always talking about,” Andi chimed in.

“Sh-shut up, guys… I only help him because it’ll look good on my college applications if I talk about helping the less fortunate,” Pete said defensively.

Oh.

He’s only helping me because it’ll make him look good?

Something in my chest hurts. A lot.

“Hey, Kat, you okay?” Belle asks. 

“Kat?” Home Room Girl is looking at me now too.

I mumble something that I hope sounded like “I gotta go,” before quickly standing and walking away.

72