Chapter 4 : The World Today
37 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reclining on the headboard of his bed, while munching on a potato chip making a crisp sound that was really good to hear, Ageha gently flipped the page with his other hand and concentrated on reading. 

Currently, it is the year 2073. 54 years had already passed since the pandemic, and many many years had already passed since evolutionary humans claimed their foot holds on the world. 

Since the world stabilized 37 years ago, the golden age of mankind arrived. Technology rose to the heights of Mars. Physicists and Meteorologists already discovered that mysterious nine planet outside the solar system, and it was a really really big planet like they thought so. Experts have already begun excavating weird minerals from other planets and brought them to Earth, and even used the sun's energy, not solar energy, but the nuclear energy (generated from a star) from the sun as a huge power source in outer space.

Because of the emergence of evolutionary humans, many things have changed, not only the fast growing development of science and technology. 

However, this little bookworm, Ageha, really didn't care about it. After the world became technologically advanced, light brains were now used in everything. Nevertheless, Ageha, this bookworm, loves books that he just uses this light brain for his identification and uses it like a cell phone. 

Even when searching and watching videos, he still used a laptop. He likes it anyway. And in this country, no one will actually care whether anyone still uses this kind of old fashioned technology. Since, in the first place, only wealthy people could afford those high end light brains that could do anything. 

Ageha just wanted to read books, and doesn't care about this technology. He was born on May 8, 2058– everything already happened before he was born. His father is a gardener, umm, fine. Eduardo Rocca is a Landscape Architect with a flower shop. While his mother is a Biology Professor at University of the Philippines.

His father and mother actually met up in a botanical garden in Europe. His father was there for a business trip, while his mother was there for a seminar. His mother went to that garden for the purpose of looking at the different species of herbs and flowers planted in that garden. 

It was really a fantasy-like meeting, really. And this is also the reason why his father has become obsessed with butterflies afterwards. 

Every dinner, Ageha could hear his father mentioning their love story quite often, and Ageha could only respond dully and mechanically toward his father.

It was a huge blue 'ageha' that led father to mother. 

Eduardo Rocca, who was only interested in the specific design of each plant assignment, was distracted when that butterfly passed him by. 

He felt his heart itched, then for some reason he went after that butterfly. And there, beyond the bushes, a girl, Touka, was sitting on the ground. The butterfly flew towards her and landed on top of her head, but Touka didn't notice it. She only has her eyes down at her sketchbook and continues drawing the flower in front of her. 

Nevertheless, her concentration was broken when she heard a movement from her left. She looked up and turned towards the sound, and there she found her soulmate. 

They made eye contact, then sparks flew, their hearts surged, and their brains went blank. And so, the beginning of their love story.

Thinking back, Ageha really felt that it was a romantic scene at first, but as he grew older hearing about it again and again, he just felt these scenes were too pink, full of cringe-worthy moments.

"Heh." Sneering, Ageha carefully flipped the page again, then continued to read.

He found this collection of books in his grandfather's attic when they visited last month. It was a collection of books written by Rick Riordan about different mythologies adapted in modern settings. 

The hard copies of the books were already so old that Ageha felt nervous flipping through them. Nevertheless, the stories were so fascinating that Ageha just couldn't stop reading them. 

But then, suddenly Ageha halted the movement of his eyes. He thought of something. Actually, evolutionary humans were widely accepted around the world. That's why they have that "young master" attitude. They never or did not experienced discrimination (on the surface). Second Generation even garnered so many fans, especially in Japan. 

But somehow, he suddenly remembered the post he made a few days ago. 

He was so nervous and anxious when he learned he was also an evolutionary human a week ago, that he just hastily posted a question in a certain forum. 

Ageha actually posted something on a web novel website. 

He posted something like this: "Do Fourth Generation Evolved Humans have Insects as their Guardian Beast?"

And many of course answered a big fat "NO!" Also because this is a literary website where many authors, readers, and artists gathered, Ageha was even more bombarded by negative comments. 

Although insects, for sure, are nasty, creepy and disgusting, there are still many beautiful insects out there. Still, how could they say something bad when they did not even know whether an evolutionary human has an insect type guardian beast. This was simply a discrimination!

Ageha almost deleted his account right there and then. But before he could do it, someone gave him a private message. 

After Ageha read that private message, he immediately reported his own post and let the site delete them. He also didn't forget to delete his account afterwards. That's right, in the end, Ageha still deleted his account.

But that is because Ageha was afraid of being tracked after posting that thread in the forum. 

He can still remember that private message until now, and he still shudders every time. 

["Little brother, be careful of what you post. In the world of evolutionary humans, insect type guardian beast is like a taboo, a stain that couldn't be mention."]

He doesn't know why, but Ageha felt cold reading this for the first time. It's like he just stepped on a forbidden zone, making him more nervous than ever.

That's why he tried to search for more information on the net. But the more he knew the more he felt afraid. 

The information he gathered is just a tip of the iceberg.

That's why, after yesterday he talked to Emperor Augustus and decided to not to look for clues anymore. 

Ageha has been living in the Philippines since birth, he did not know whether this is good or bad, but for the first time, Ageha found something good living in a third world country. Adding the fact that he was just a low key bookworm, an introvert at that, no one really knows that he was an evolutionary human. Even he just learned that he was one of them a week ago. 

Nevertheless, Ageha still decided to mention this to his parents. But they were in their so called honey moon, and will be back a month later before the summer vacation ends.

Oh right. After this summer, Ageha Rocca is now a legit high school student.


Rick Riodan and my favorite Percy Jackson! Heroes of Olympus! There's also the Kane Chronicles, Egyptian Myth! Magnus Chase, for Norse myth!


But I like the Percy and Heors of Olympus the best!

1