Chapter 24: Learning The Ropes
473 10 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Inversely, Lilian was not happy with being in the village.

She felt hypersensitive to all the people around her. Their every move triggering her instincts to lash out. It was as if she was out in the open, exposed with danger being all around her.

She felt, in her own words, “Twitchy.”

She felt the heated stares from everyone single person she passed. The muted whispers of their discriminatory views against her, their judgmental ways of treating one born outside the Clan. How she stole the position from her poor pathetic uncle.

Worthless, all of them.

Lilian thought that once she had proven herself as a capable fighter, shown them that she could be a leader, that they might be willing to accept her.

Nothing could be further from the truth. She thought with regret.

She had every intention to come in to be accepted by her people once she helped them; once she showed what a capable leader she was.

But they were never thankful to me. No one was happy I was their leader. She realized.

They were thankful that I had killed Krak’Nathal.

Happy to be freed.

But not happy with me being here.

Because they feared me.

Hated me.

She thought angrily.

Anna encouraged her with sweet words that things would get better. That she just needed to find a way that worked for Lilian to do things her way, while also working with people.

But none of that was working.

They were nothing but cry babies!

After listening to them, talking it out with her uncle, now her advisor; along with Tharhym her Shaman and the rest of the elders of the village.

They had all come to the conclusion that their village couldn’t support all of the clans.

But the clans would hear none of this, as their complaints ranged from the understandable being that they had lost quiet a few of their people to Krak’Nathal’s cruelty, and Nad’Lug’s experiments.

To the more absurd that since it was Clan Dracogusse’s responsibility to protect the clans, that they were responsible for their well being.

Upstart ignorant ass clowns! Lilian growled. All those clans seen to want to do, is lay about and mooch off of the hardworking members of Clan Dracogusse. They were also just trying to take advantage of the situation they now found themselves in as a participant.

The clans that had been the most vocal of this complaint had only lost a few, or were the larger of the clans. Proving Lilian correct that they just wanted to take as much resources as they could get their hands on from Dracogusse before returning to theirs.

Fucking scavengers!

She stomped her way towards the afternoon’s meeting hall.

Intent to cause trouble today.

I’ll show them! I can do this! I can be a better chieftain than my father!

                                           

————————————————-

                                           

Anna was walking down the pathway towards her destination, stretching her limbs out after working through breakfast and lunch rush to make food for the community.

There were multiple places to make food around the whole village, or for people to come and go, to bring their own food to make meals in there for themselves.

But usually for people like guards, Shamans, matrons of houses with many children, the children themselves, huntresses and hunters, along with many others came by to start their day with food from the mess-hall.

There were many that came and went through out the day because they had no time to cook for themselves.

But to the kitchen brigade’s relief, the afternoon group who cooked came in about halfway into lunch to take over for some of the cooks.

It was a lot of work! Lots of mouths to feed!

Anna was now on her way towards Tharhym’s workshop, carrying a container of her latest creation.

Gumbo!

This recipe had gone over really well with the Mokra’Torc people. Especially after Anna had learned that they had what was equivalent to what was a cross between a lobster and a crawfish on Rayala.

To big to be a crawfish, but the right color, but also not quite big enough to be some sort of fresh water lobster.

Along with the wild rice she should them how to harvest and take care of, Anna also introduced potatoes and carrots to their diet.

I am going to have to thank Mother Agra’Yala for this later when I am alone with Tharhym.

Anna was a little sad that she couldn’t communicate with the Spirits daily like she had. But learning alchemy from Tharhym, while teaching him about the dangers and pitfalls of what happened earth made for a pretty convenient excuse for Anna to visit her Shaman teacher everyday.

Speaking of Tharhym.

Up head Anna spotted her teacher talking with someone.

Who is—…… oh…

He was currently talking with his son, Voltarian.

“*SIGH* Not again.” Anna groaned.

It seemed like everyday, Voltarian would show up outside his Tharhym’s tent.

Which Anna supposed was for understandable; Tharhym was Voltarian was his father after all.

But every time……

“Good afternoon Tharhym! …Good afternoon Voltarian…” Anna greeted them, the latter half sounding very woody.

“”AH! Anna!” Human!” To different but similar voice call out to her. Both father and son glare at each other.

“…Is here to chat again, Voltarian?” Anna decided to address the big dark brown mossy mammoth in the room, rather than just try and sidestep him.

May as well get it over with…

“Yes I was, human! I was chatting with my father, the Shaman here! About the meeting we had with the Warchief.” He told Anna with smug sneer on his face. “I bet you are curious about what was talked about during the meeting, are you not?”

Anna shrugged.

“Not really. If anything, I will hear it from Lilian later: I am actually more curious about you?”

“………Me?!………” Voltarian asked with a shy confusion. His face slightly darkening.

“Yeah, you. What is it that you do to train as a Shaman?”

“Excuse me?!” Voltarian shouts with incredulous indignation.

Anna raised her hands.

“I meant no offense,” She told him that with a coy smile. “Just I was wondering how easy it is to be an apostle if you are also so knee deep into politics of the tribe.”

Tharhym snorted at Anna’s dig at his son. Voltarian head continued to darken, as his humiliated frustration grew. He growled at her.

“More than you realize you ignorant human! Being involved in the Clan’s affairs is part of being a Shaman!”

“Really? I was under the impression it was communing with your ancestors and the Planet Mother Rayala for guidance.” She shrugged. “But what do I know; I am after all, an ignorant human that can only observe what she sees around her.”

He had to grit his teeth at this before he marched past her and bumped into her shoulder as he did.

“S-Stupid human! You know nothing!” Voltarian shouted over his shoulder towards Anna as he walked away.

But Anna was determined to get the last dig.

“What I do know!” Anna shouted after him. “That they are serving your favorite noodles over at mess-hall number five!”

His steps stuttered as he tried to righting himself before he tripped over his own two feet.

He half turned to her and shouted.

“S-SHUT UP!” Then started stomping off.

Anna put her hands on her hips and laughed at his younger mindset.

“Ha ha ha ha!” Anna heard the soft chortle behind her as Tharhym laughed.

“Oh my poor son, ha ha ha!” He wiped his eyes of an errant tear that came at the sight of his son being teased. He looked down at his pupil and smiled at her fondly.

“I do so hope that you will not take to much of my son’s foolishness to heart,” Tharhym playfully pleaded. “He is just—“

“In love with me, I know. He is not the first guy to try and bark up the wrong tree.”

“HA! I like that idiom.” Tharhym guffawed before his face turned serious. “You are not offended I hope then? I do realize most would not be as tolerant of his behavior.”

Anna shrugged.

“This happened to me once before. A boy in school: that is a place where we send children to learn basic education,” Anna clarified before moving on. “There was a boy there that teased me mercilessly everyday, just for the simple reason was because he was trying to get my attention.”

Tharhym smiled at Anna.

“I assume he did not get the attention he desired?”

“Oh no way! I was to busy having my first but unbeknownst to me at the time, girl crush on his older sister.”

“Bah-ha-ha-hahahaha!” Tharhym threw his head back and laughed. “Oh priceless! That poor child! Ha-Ha-ha! What a twist of terrible irony! Ha-hahaha!”

Anna just chortled herself before saying.

“Yeah, so your son isn’t the first boy or man to have a crush on me. Probably won’t be the last.” Anna lamented.

Tharhym grew serious quickly and placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

“Be that as it may, I do feel I owe my successor an apology on my son’s behalf; I feel as if I failed, despite all my efforts otherwise, to raise that boy right.” He looked over to where his son had disappeared around the corner with a sad smile on his face. “I was also a traditionalist, much like he is now when I was also his age. Thinking the laws and rules, set by our predecessors and forefathers were the most important part about being a Shaman.”

Anna shivered as she heard him once again call her his successor.

“I don’t—“

He put a finger on his lips.

“We should move this inside, more private in there.” With that he turned towards his workshop. “And while we’re at it today: tell me more about this “School” of yours.” Tharhym asked Anna as he entered through the door.

Anna sighed before following in after him.

Tharhym with a wave of his hand lit the candles around the room.

Anna inhaled sharply at the sight.

“That is still so wild to see every time! Magic! Actual magic!”

Tharhym chortled at her ignorance.

“Elemental magic, but I suppose magic in a form nonetheless; but not strictly magic.”

“Yeah… we were talking about that last time.” Anna said as she went to sit down at her spot at the table, preforming some rudimentary tasks with the medieval looking chemistry set. As she was setting up the burner of oil for them to preform some alchemy. “What IS the difference between magic and elemental magic?”

“Good question: theoretically? Nothing. They are the same. The difference is the training and where it is drawn upon.”

“Drawn upon?”

“Yes! Magic, as mages, witches, and sorcerers cast it. Is from their own energy that they draw upon. That they then pull it from the air around them and themselves.” Tharhym explained as he reached over to grab a few things off of the shelves. He walked over towards the table Anna was sitting at and placed a couple of smooth stones down in front of her. “While Shamans draw upon the very elements themselves.”

“As always, train with those.”

“UGH! I am never going to get this!” She groaned as she placed her on either side of the stones, resting her hands on her phalanges. Palms facing the stones, as she stared at them intently, willing them to move.

“Hahaha! You will one day soon my successor. One day very soon.” He smiled warmly as he felt elated to finally say those words after so long.

“… So what conversation do you want to finish first? My lesson on magic? Or my question before we entered here?” Anna quipped to her master playfully.

“Ha! Smart ass!” He then biffed her on the back of the head. “We learning right now! So focus on the lesson!” He said with a playful firmness as he pointed towards her stones she was now looking away from.

“To continue on with what I was saying.” Tharhym resumed his lecture as Anna focused back on the stones. “Is that magic is drawn upon differently from elemental magic: Magic a magician might use, is taken from themselves and formed from ambient ethereal energy within the world, what they have called mana.” Tharhym explained as he took a step back.

“Look this way my pupil.” Anna turned to watch her master.

With barely a flick of his wrist, a ball of stone seemed to form above his open palm within seconds, as dust and earth was collected from the very air itself to form into a smooth ball of rock.

But Tharhym didn’t stop there.

Red sparks flew and flickered into life, as they circled the rock until it glowed a violent orange, Looking as if it was melting; for in-fact, it was melting. The stone soon became nothing more than a scorching ball of magma that seemed to defy gravity as it floated above her teacher’s hand.

“WOW!~” Anna exclaimed breathlessly, as she stared into the brightly burning ball of earth.

“That never gets old!” Tharhym stated.

“What?”

The ball stopped glowing, soon quickly cooling down to turn black, crumbling back into the dust from whence it came.

“No matter how many times I see it. Watching a child’s eyes fill with wonder the first time the see magic is always a treat. That is until they learn to do it themselves.”

Anna threw him a ruthful smile.

“If I ever get there,” Anna said morosely. “I promise not to forget how I felt like I did just now.”

Tharhym chuckled at her boastful promise.

“You will my dear,” Tharhym promised Anna. “it happens to all aspiring Shaman. It is part of the process of growing into your powers, I suppose.” Tharhym looked at his protégé with a fond lamenting smile.

“It is just the way of things. Just as how once upon a time, we all were once babes that knew not how to walk, but a thing that soon becomes a second nature to us.”

Tharhym walked back up to her and patted her shoulder while pointing at the stones with his other hand.

“Don’t feel bad about this. Rather, once you are able use it, then use it daily and appreciate it. Even if you catch yourself taking advantage of it to do as simple of things, like parlor tricks by lighting candles in a room. Hu-hu-hu!”

Anna felt herself blush at being caught with having marveled at his simple lighting of the candles. She turned back towards her stones, focusing like she was suppose to, drawing on her power from within her heart, which would allow herself to push and move the stones by her will.

Whatever that means?!

“Now to continue on with our lesson. The important thing difference between Shamans and magi is: that magi as I have send draw from themselves. This is significant because the energy a person has within their body is limited. Even if a mage does and can absorb ambient mana from the air to cast their spells. They can only ever reduce the cost of their spells this way by half, because they need at least that same amount in equivalency from them selves to draw in and add to their spells. They are also not able to absorb ambient mana from the environment and replenish energy they have used.”

“So… If I understand it like this, mages cast their magic by pulling in mana from the air with their own energy?”

“Yes, and what is the fundamental problem with this?”

“Well? If they are drawing from themselves, won’t they get tired? Or just run out of energy to cast magic eventually?”

“That is correct! Excellent work, my pupil.”

“But isn’t this what I am trying to do? Force my energy out to make the rocks move?”

“And again, you figured it out.”

Anna stopped focusing on the rocks to look at her teacher.

“But Tharhym?!” She asked him in distress. “I have a feeling that is not how Shamans accomplish their magic. If it was, why would you explain the mages first?”

“Ha-ha-ha-ha! Yes! Very astute! It is a marvel to have an older student that can understand what it is you’re teaching them, rather than a young mind that can’t even comprehend what your words mean.”

Anna give him a sad smile.

“But sometimes they are better, because they don’t have things clogging up their lives or their heads that keep them distracted. They also won’t get stuck on a problem like an adult will sometimes, because they are willing to try new things.”

“Also true. Let me explain the reasons to you.” Tharhym told Anna.

“First, to teach you how to channel the spirits raw energy.”

“Second, there will be times when only a certain type of spirit will be available to you: so you need to learn how to manipulate elemental energy on your own, so that you can still cast the different type of elemental magic you wish.”

“And thirdly, it is so you know how to manipulate the elements, even if you are denied a spirits help.“

“This also comes to the reason why Shamans and Magi are so different from one another fundamentally. Shaman only use their own energy to connect with spirits, who will channel their own energy through the Shaman to allow him to manipulate the mana of the world around him as he sees fit.”

“So wait?! Does that mean a Shaman can cast their magic indefinitely?!”

“Theoretically yes. In practice, no.”

Anna looked at him in confusion, which Tharhym saw and explained further.

“It is a simple form of a battle of attrition against a mage. Most Shaman may stand to above or go toe-to-toe with a mage, and or another even beat them. But at the same time, a magi’s advantage is that they have a wider range of different spells at their disposal with faster ways to cast. Our is simply because we have an use less of our own energy than they do; we still use some of it, but our energy is vastly more abundant by comparison because of the spirits help. That is our greatest advantage we have over a mage, IS simply because of how little energy we consume from ourselves. That spell I just channeled a moment ago, the energy need for it for me to cast it was as insignificant as taking an extra breath.”

Anna’s eyes went wide at this.

“These aren’t just lessons… their hints!” She said excitedly. Anna looked back down towards her stones to see her hands on either side of the two stones that were facing each other. “It is not about transferring my energy to the stones! It is about transferring my energy between my hands!”

Anna concentrated as she stared at the stones between her open palms.

She focused on her breathing; on what her breathing actually was.

Life.

Energy.

From my heart.

Within my blood.

Then, ever so slightly.

Anna felt a tingling, almost like an electrical sparking sensation in the center of both her palms, then,

                    

                          

*CLACK*

               

               

The stone moved and pushed against each other until they skidded off of one another opposite directions. One towards the edge of the table near her lap, the other towards the alchemist’s station.

        

*GASP*

        

Anna watched fascinated as the rocks spun for a moment more from the force of their collision.

But more importantly, she felt it.

She could feel it.

The energy colliding between each other in the space between her hands.

“It’s like a magnetic force!…” Anna spoke aloud in wonder.

“Magnetic force?”

“≈Yes, my child. You have done it! And you are correct in a way. Magical Energy, in its simplest form, is the same as any other particle or wave of energy. I am so proud of your accomplishments this day!≈” Called a deep echoing voice that sounded like rolling stones.

“Mother!” Anna called out excitedly as she felt her Planet Mother’s presence. She turned around to see that faintly formless shape that was Agra’Yala’s presence she recognized.

“Wait? What is particle or wave energy?” Tharhym asked in confusion.

Agra’Yala attention shifted from Anna to Tharhym, then back to Anna.

“≈I will leave this to you to explain, since this is something your world has better found and understood.≈”

“Hey!” Anna complained. “Don’t just pawn this off on people!”

But Agra’Yala ignored her complaining adoptive child in favor to move the topic forward.

“≈You have now taken a significant step forward this day, my dear child. At this moment. You are now a fully fledged Shaman.≈” Agra’Yala informed Anna.

“But not yet a fully trained one: sorry to dampen the mood Mother Agra’Yala. But I also do not wish for my pupil to get an inflated ego from simply moving some rocks.”

Agra’Yala made a dismissing gesture with her aura.

“≈It is as you say. I just wished to congratulate my adoptive daughter on her progress.≈” Agra’Yala felt as if she had a resigning attitude about herself. “≈She is your protégé, you shall deem her ready as you see fit.≈”

“Much obliged Mother Agra’Yala, for allowing me to train my pupil.”

A stone from the floor shot up and hit Tharhym in the shin.

“OW!”

He reached down to grab at his shin.

“Is that truly necessary?!” Tharhym groused grumpily as he rubbed his shin.

“≈Silence child. You have become very obstinate in your older age, thinking you have the right to lecture me.≈” Agra’Yala scolded.

“Not lecturing, just stating that you shouldn’t spoil the child. She only just had her first major brake through.”

“≈Yes, you are correct on this. But this is both why I am here, why I need to speak with my child.≈”

Agra’Yala’s spirit floated towards Anna. Enveloping her as of she was comforting her with a hug.

“Agra’Yala?…” Anna squeaked out in concern.

“≈My child, I am so proud that of the progress you have made. But it is also this same progress and movements of recent events, that require me to accelerate your training and my plans.≈”

“”Wait?” What are you saying?-“ What do you mean-?” Both Anna and Tharhym question Agra’Yala at the same time.

“≈Tharhym my child, how long before Anna here will be ready for simple spells or enhancements?≈”

“Before she will be able to full do one? Oh goodness… even with her amazing understanding and learning capabilities. I do not suppose she will be ready to preform her first spell before a month from now.”

“≈…………………≈”

They both felt the distress from the Planet Mother.

“What is it Agra’Yala? If it makes you go that quiet that need me to be ready sooner than a month, this is only going to stress me out.” Anna told Agra’Yala nervously.

Agra’Yala let out what was equivalent of a sigh.

“My child. I did not wish to burden you this so soon. But forces beyond this realm have sowed discord and have conspired to ignite the flames of war once again.”

“Wait?! What does that mean?! Why am I related to this?!”

“My child, you are not ready for everything I need to tell you at your current level of training: you are not even ready for this much. But I am forced to share it with you.” Agra’Yala cryptic message sent a chill down Anna’s arms and spine. “The Demon’s that beset your world, are actually here on me as well.≈”

“”WHAT?!”” Both Anna and Tharhym shout.

“≈To be precise, they have been here for several ages now. But only now are they enacting their plans.≈”

“But-“ Anna was cut off with a gentle shushing noise from Agra’Yala.

“≈Tharhym knows the history of the Demon’s and their machinations. Suffice it to say, that they are very careful with their plans, oh so very careful. So much so, that I usually do not discover them until they enact them. But I am not just haplessly blind to their wiles. I know and can sense where each Demon in disguise is located on my surface.≈”

“But if you know where they are? What is stopping you from sending people to fight and kill them? Or to stop their plans?”

“≈I am for one, not omnipresent my child, as I have said to you before. If they are in a place that is not infused with elemental energy or a place where my presence is banished, then I cannot see what it is they are doing or planning. And if they use people I have no connections with, like the Mokra’Torc or the Dwarves, then I am virtually blind to their to their movement.≈”

“Umm, not to doubt you or anything, but how is it that a rag tag bunch of Demon’s able to elude a planet?”

“≈Do you notice the flea on thy head?≈”

“Only when it is biting me and making me itch.”

“≈Then I am much the same my child. But rather than fleas; these are diseased ridden parasites!≈” Agra’Yala says with such a venomous force, that it almost feels violent.

Which causes the two there to tremble slightly.

“Guess you made your point on that one…” Anna concedes.

“≈They also like to hide places that my loyal children can not easily reach, or they entrench themselves deep into areas of political intrigue that would only backlash and serve to hurt my children more than stop them.≈” Agra’Yala explains, before turning back to Anna and gently caresses her with her spirit.

“≈You are almost ready, but not quiet. This is why I will have need to accelerate your training further along than what it is.≈”

“How?”

“≈Through the flame and a small crutch. I have prepared a gift for you my child, in recognition of your progress: It is with one of my children right now. So you will have to retrieve it.≈”

Agra’Yala turned her attention towards Tharhym.

“≈How long would it take her to learn to connect with the spirits of the ancestors and an elemental?≈”

“With an elemental? Not long since she already can converse with them. But with the ancestors… that is another matter entirely. One I have been meaning to ask you Mother Agra’Yala: will she be able to communicate with our ancestors at all? With no offense meant child, but you are human trying to communicate with Mokra’Torc spirits after all.”

“Hey, none taken. I am just trying to play keep up with everything being said right now.” Anna said flippantly. Which earned her a pebble to her shin as well. “OW! Hey!”

Agra’Yala ignored her.

“≈Theoretically, she is just a untrained Shaman from another world. The GATE, is not bound by race, creed, or time or space. All enter in after their flicker of life has ended.”

“The gate?”

“≈Ah! Yes… the gate… Tharhym?!≈” Agra’Yala panically threw the question towards Tharhym.

“*SIGH* Honestly… I think this is the reason why our ancestors had to learn shamanism on their own.” Tharhym said flippantly. “It is, the entrance to thine afterlife.”

“Wait? “thine” afterlife? What is that supposed to mean?!” Anna now asked worried confusion.

“In the long and short of the answer is, the gate is the final door between this life, and the afterlife. Depending on the deity you worshiped, the gate keeper judges you worthy based on your deity’s requirements, you are allowed to enter through into the afterlife of thine ancestors. Ours as Mokra’Torc is called the Resting Halls of Stone, very similar to our cousins the Dwarves.”

“Wait,… no… wait yeah! And wait! NO! Woah WOAH! Back it up a second! You are telling me,” Anna looked at the Spirit of the earth that was clinging to her. “Made both Dwarves and orcs?! And they are at odds with each other?!”

“≈Technically speaking, they were born from my dust and flesh, but they are not my direct children.≈”

“But don’t tell a dwarf that! Unless you want to wind up with a flat nose!” Tharhym warned.

“≈We have gotten off course a bit here…≈” Agra’Yala said with an emotion that bordered on annoyed. “≈But this is a chance you have been waiting for Anna!≈” Her tone switching to an almost excited one. “≈If you retrieve my gift from my son, you will be at the point of being ready to tell your Ashu’Rágé that you are a Shaman.≈” Agra’Yala promised.

This both excited and made Anna feel elated.

“Not to question you Mother Agra’Yala, but why the sudden rush and need? And why risk telling Lilian before Anna’s training is complete; or heck! Even just barely started!” Tharhym asked with an ever increasing tone of distress.

“≈Because the Demon that is moving pieces heavily has revealed himself. He will be within our grasps to unveil his disguise, along with his treachery and machinations…… But it is unfortunate that only two people will have the means to go into there and do anything about the situation.≈”

“Where?”

“≈The capital and city of Falaris.≈”

16