Chapter 25: Upsetting News
311 3 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Anna was just walking home after a late night session with Tharhym. She had stayed over extra long into the evening to practice as much as possible, now that she knew the first step on channeling her energy.

Really though, I just think it was because Agra’Yala came in and disturbed our training right in the middle with that bullshit problem of hers!

This made Tharhym keep Anna over, pestering her with questions about what she and Agra’Yala had said.

“What is this school thing you have mentioned. Also, what was this about magic being as waves? What the bloody hell are particles?!”

UGH! Damn Tharhym and his persistent questions.

Anna was upset with Agra’Yala because of this. She was getting tired of her vagueness.

Actually, I am getting tired of a lot of things.

Anna thought back to right before she left her teacher’s hut.

                            

                             

“What is wrong child? I know something had you upset today, it has since before we even stepped through into my hut this afternoon.” Tharhym questioned Anna at his doorstep.

Anna was looking down at her feet, feeling embarrassed.

“Tharhym… why am I your successor and not your son?”

“Ah!… Does it bother you? Being my successor?” Tharhym asked her with a pained look on his face.

“No! It isn’t like that! Not really! I would never go that far and say that! It’s just… Why? Why me? I am not even an Mokra’Torc. Sure I can sense elemental spirits, and yeah, I fan move stones without touching them now… but don’t you have better students for that?”

Tharhym smiled at her.

“Child, ever since thirty years ago, I have been waiting for you to come here. I didn’t know it was you, or that you would be human. But I knew that the student that would surpass me, would have a heart for the planet in her best interests, and a love for nature and the elements.” Tharhym explained. “Mother Rayala told me years ago, that my student would not be of my clan, and would call to her by name as if they were her children.”

Anna’s eyes went wide at this.

“Are we sure she isn’t omnipresent?! I was only just born that many years ago! How would—“

Tharhym chuckled at her question.

“From how I understand it. That is not how she works, she can only predict the future by guessing at the outcomes by current events. Not by knowing what is going to happen.”

“So, What? She is like a chaos analysis super computer or something?” Amna asked not even sure she knew what she was suggesting.

“Hahahaha! I don’t even two of those words!”

He put a hand on her shoulder and gave her a reassuring squeeze.

“Just remember something about her: when Rayala does things or doesn’t do things, is based off of how she has predicted things to go, based on certain facts she has learned, based off of a litany of factors. She asks us to follow what she tells us, not because we might understand them; but simply because they will more than likely have the best possible outcome for us.” Tharhym shrugged. “Something to do with making sure things go accordingly to some sort of grand plan she has in mind.”

“And are you okay with just following with what she says like that? Is that what it means to be a shaman? How often can something like that work out?”

“Ha! Not very often, at least from my experience! She ends up making all sorts of crazy plans and things that tie together to help with her grand plans. But any one thing could disrupt those plans. Take my mate for instance, she was a Shaman from another tribe, I had thought that this person was the one who Rayala had in mind to be my successor at the time.” He gave a wary chuckle and a shake of his head. “Turns out she wasn’t! She was actually another prediction Rayala warned me about. That my mate before I knew her at the time, was actually supposed to be my RIVAL, not my student!”

Anna’s eyes were round at this revelation.

“Your rival?!”

“Yes! Hahaha! It is funny now, after all these years. But once upon a time, my own Ashu’Rágé, was really my 1Heated RivalMurkaur’Nack. But because I had interpreted it differently. I did my utmost and absolute best to entice her to being my apprentice. Hau hau hau!… Boy was I shocked when I found out that she was lead by Mother Rayala to come and try to take over my position of head Shaman, which I had only had for about two years so far.”

“What?! Why would Mother Ag—“ Anna stopped herself and looked around the empty streets to make sure it was clear and no one heard he mistake. “Why would Mother Rayala do something like that?!” Anna asked in a whisper.

“Because she plays the entire game of cards by herself.”

“What do you—“

“What I mean is, is that she had given a massage to my rival, my yet to be mate at the time; to come and challenge me for the right my succession.” He smiled fondly at this.

“She had hoped to either replace me as stronger Shaman by beating me. Or to lose, make me grow stronger as a Shaman. But it also proved to be a blonder on Rayala’s part. For I saw her not as a rival, but as a student, someone who was going to take my position someday. When my mate saw my intentions, she too, was confused by this, and figured that this was what Rayala had meant, that I was to become her new instructor. Then as you might have guess, one thing lead to another, and before we know it, we had not only become mates a year into her being my successor, but then she was with child. Thus my son was Voltarian was born; “Defining themselves.” An all to fitting name for my son. Despite walking down the path of shamanism like this parents. He has done so his own way, every step of the way.”

He smiled as he look up at something in the distance. Anna turned but couldn’t see it.

“The truth is, that Rayala doesn’t speak very often. You are a special case to hear her so often or to call on her and to have her answer you. Because by the time we had heard from her again. She was flabbergasted at what had gone of course from what she had planned. By the time she came in contact with us again, we were mated with Voltarian as our child by then.”

“Do you think you made the wrong choice because it wasn’t what Rayala had meant?” Anna asked him worriedly.

“No,” Tharhym told Anna, much to her own relief. “No my dear successor, I do not. And that is something to remember: Mother Rayala is not omnipresent, nor infallible. She is an Elemental Lord; a celestial being capable of mystical feats. Not an immortal god nor an incorruptible being. She also makes mistakes. She is not mortal in the sense as you and I with a limited life span. She looks at things at a grand scale. Looking at all the good and the bad. Taking the LEAST, bad option, and the BEST possible outcome. Not necessarily the ones we want.”

“So am I just suppose to do whatever Mother Rayala says?” Anna asked sounding a little miffed.

“No, but also do not buck at her, just because she tells you to do something either. She has facts and knowledge that you don’t know.” Tharhym looked down at her and smiled. “But that doesn’t mean that you should just bend backwards and let her dictate your life. That is why it is important to ask for guidance from our ancestors as well.”

“After learning what was Mother Rayala’s original intent. I looked at my Ashu’Rágé with not anger nor contempt, but with more love. Because I felt so lucky that I had gotten it wrong and met her outside Mother Rayala’s plans; and that my mate felt the same for me.” He looked at his protégé fondly. “What I am trying to impart on you is this: listen to Rayala, then listen to the spirits,” He then reached over and tapped her chest with his finger. “Then listen to your own heart and judgements. Some times your emotions can lead you astray from your duties, but you also shouldn’t neglect them for the sake of duty. Do you understand?”

“I do.” Anna smiled up at Her teacher. “Thank you Tharhym.” She walked forward to give him a hug.

To which he returned.

“Anytime my successor: that is what I am here for.”

                                 

                                  

Anna was smiling fondly as she was approaching the hut that she and Lilian were now living.

The chieftain’s hut.

The smile disappeared from her face as she looked at the hut.

She honestly liked it. She liked the size, the whole thing was twice the size as their cave. But should would be lying if she didn’t admit that she didn’t miss the intimacy that the cave held. Just the two of them alone up in the mountains, surviving the land, living and loving each other anytime they wanted.

While Anna was sad to give up their private space and life. She was happy and excited to start this new life and finally meet new people.

And now she was something more than she ever believed she would ever be in her life.

I can use magic!

I am a shaman!

“Hehehe!~”

She couldn’t help but let out an excited giggle.

But the smile quickly went away. Anna knew she was the only one of the two of them, that were not adapting well.

Her love wasn’t dealing well with all the people or the crowds. It didn’t help that Lilian had some sort of preconceived misconception that the clan would not accept her and loath her existence no matter what Lilian did. Anna tried to reassure her.

Anna was worried that Lilian was starting to take the job of chieftain to seriously.

Sorry! Warchief! Anna thought sarcastically.

Anytime Anna had called Lilian chieftain, instead of her proper title, Anna noticed it seemed to upset her. It was making Anna more and more nervous by the day that Lilian was trying to hard to be what the village elders wanted her to be, rather than doing what she wanted to do.

Upon entering the hut, Anna saw Lilian sitting at a table. Her hands clasped together, with her fingers interlaced. Her face holding a pensive expression.

“Oh hey! You’re home. Did you have dinner already?” Anna asked her courteously.

Lilian looked up at her mate as she entered their hut.

“No.”

Was all she said to Anna in response.

“O-Oh… I see…” Anna wasn’t sure why Lilian was in a foul mood. But she obviously was happy about something. “So do you want to go have—“

“Can you please sit down my Ashu’Rágé? We need to talk about something.”

Anna looked on at her love with nervous expectations as she moved towards the table Lilian was sitting at, sitting down next to her.

Anna gave Lilian a wary smile; Lilian kept her stern expression.

“What’s happened babe? What’s wrong?” Anna asked nervously.

“……………………..”

Lilian was quiet for a moment before she spoke again.

“So… I was able to make some headway with the elders and shamans today. We finally finished what we are going to do and how we are going to help the other clans that Krak’Nathal had decimated.”

“Well! That is good right?” Anna encouraged.

“Yeah… it is. But I felt like all the elders and shamans wanted to do was try and mooch off of our clan and hold Dracogusse responsible for what the Fel’Agrian clan had done. After a lengthy debate and me basically issuing challenges at the end. We finally came down with a plan that worked for many.”

“Why do I feel like there is a “but” coming?”

“Because there is…… I had to make a compromise with the elders to get somethings I wanted. Namely to allow the men and women of the clan to do as they pleased, rather than force them into jobs by their gender. I also had to fight with against the larger clans that didn’t need as much help as the smaller ones that had suffered the most by Krak’Nathal. I was asked if we would be willing to do a traditional service of a chieftain’s mating ritual to prove to the clans that we are indeed mated.”

“Prove it how? And just so you know, I don’t like where the this is going.” Anna asked with a quip.

“I knew you wouldn’t… The tradition is, that a chieftain and the female he wishes to take into his harem or as his lifemate, would set up a small tent in the center of the village, where they would……” As Lilian trailed off and her face got darker, Anna clued in on what she was suggesting.

“Uh-uh! No way! No Lilian! No! You didn’t promise them we would do it, did you?!” Anna asked Lilian incredulously.

“I didn’t… But I did say that we would talk about it and consider it—“

“What is there to consider?! Lilian?! You realize what they are asking us to do right?!” Anna asked loudly.

“I know. But they gave me a warning that if we did not, that they would not consider us mated.”

“Be we are mated! We were before we even came to this stupid clan!”

“I know! That is what I argued to them as well.” Lilian protested with a pathetic sounding voice.

“Then you have to realize that this isn’t even about us being mated right? This is all about them trying to use me against you. This is about them trying to exploit you! Trying to turn us against each other.”

“But what am I supposed to do my Ashu’Rágé?! If we don’t do this, I am not going to be respected as a chieftain, nor as someone who can claim them mate or convince them to agree with the chieftain.”

“Listen to me Lilian. I am your mate; your Ashu’Rágé. But I am not your property, and neither are you mine. You don’t claim me.” Anna got up and sat on Lilian’s lap. Her hand came up to cup Lilian’s face.

“Remember what I said before? About communicating? Talking things through?” At Lilian’s nod, Anna continued. “Then this is the same as that time. We need to come to the conclusion together. We can’t just conceded and let other people dictate what we should do for our relationship.” Anna smiled at her love who looked lost and sad. “We decide what is right, and what we should do. Together.”

Anna leaned in to kiss her mate on her lips to seal the promise of her words to Lilian.

“So we need to talk about this and decide together. Okay?”

Lilian for the first time that night smiled back at her mate.

“Okay… But what will we do then? What if they accuse you or I about not being true mates, or others trying and seduce us when the other isn’t around?”

“Let me ask you a really simple question first then.” Anna stated before she answered Lilian. “Do you think you would find yourself tempted by another? Even though you and I know we are mated?”

Lilian’s eyes went wide in shock.

“O-Of course not!” She shouted incredulously.

Anna giggled at her response.

“Then that is my answer too silly!” Anna told Lilian with a light tap to her shoulder with her hand. “So I say screw them! No one, and I mean, NO. ONE. Is ever going to replace you within my heart my Ashu’Rágé.” Anna told her seductively.

Lilian’s smile widened at her love’s words. She wrapped her arms around Anna’s waist and pulled her closer before kissing her lips.

“How on Rayala did I ever get so blessed as to have you in my life?” Lilian asked rhetorically.

Anna giggled at her love’s naturally romantic tendencies.

“Aawwww!” She returned her kiss. “I think the same thing as well. What did I do to deserve such a loving partner as you.”

They sat there in a loving embrace for a long moment before then climbing out of the seat to go to bed for the evening.

                                        

————————————————-

                                        

But before either Anna or Lilian could worry about the repercussions of their decisions. A new trouble came to their Clan’s door step.

As the morning sun had just made its way towards to zenith. A group of heavily armored and armed soldiers, baring a white flag along with a purple flag with a griffon on the flag’s crest.

The soldiers’ armor was a pristine marble white color, along with purple trim and a purple panache.

As they came close to about forty meters away. They stopped their horses, with a single rider disembarking off of their horse to walk the rest of the distance alone.

“Greetings and good morning orcs.” Said the paladin in broken orcish to the two orcs guarding the entrance. They stood their looking at the paladin with what could only be described as bored expressions.

“I have come from the kingdom of Falaris to deliver a massage from the queen herself to your Warchief. I request that you bring him out here at once.”

The two orcs looked from the human paladin to each other’s faces. As they both raised an eyebrow at what the pompous knight was demanding, they both broke character with a laugh.

The paladin was grateful they had their visor down, so that the two orcs couldn’t see the rage that was surely showing on their face.

“The queen demands answers from your warchief and a response from us of your intentions. So produce your leader posthaste, or otherwise, this will be taken as a threat of war against the kingdom of Falaris.” The paladin threatened the two orcs.

The two orcs wore a worried expression for the first time since the paladin walked up to the gates entrance alone.

“Do you two orcs even understand what I am saying? Or has language lost meaning to you filthy mud people?!” The paladin shouted at them.

“No need for name calling paladin. I assure you that both my guards here understand what you are saying. But they were ordered not to interact with you.”

Came a voice in common. Then a slightly shorter orc female figure rounded the corner with striking human like features.

The female orc was surrounded by an entourage several other orcs flanking her side.

“I heard about your approach when you were still far off. But I wanted to see how the Kingdom of Falaris would respond once they were met with a slight obstacle.” The woman’s burning purple iris stared daggers at the paladin’s eye, even with their visor closed.

Her eyes!…

“You…”

“That is right, me. I am the Warchief you wished to speak with. So don’t delay. Speak your peace while I am still being cordial.”

The knight stood up a little straighter at the indignity the orc had caused them.

“Fine then. “Warchief” I will let her highness know about this.” They scowled behind their visor at the half-breed. “She will not be pleased to hear about this; about you or your position.”

The orc scoffed at the paladin.

“Do you think I really care what she thinks at this point.” The orc just held out her hand. “Just give me her letter.”

The paladin was about to hand the letter when they noticed the cloaked figure slightly behind the Warchief.

“…Are you serious?!…” They whispered aloud as they stared in outrage. Their gaze pierced back towards the warchief. “Are you taking in human slaves now?!” She shouted in indignation. “When her majesty hears of this, she won’t stand!—“ The paladin’s was silenced by the piercing angry eyes of violet flames that was similar to her majesty’s.

“Be careful paladin. You are about to insinuate that my mate is something less than what she is. I will let your slip slide due to your ignorance. But you had best shut your mouth from here on out.” The female orc warchief told them sternly.

This caused the paladin to gulp involuntarily. They felt as if they were standing before their queen. All they could do was give a shaky nod in affirmation.

The orc ripped open the seal unceremoniously and unfolded the letter. After she scanned the contents, she looked up at the paladin with a raised eye brow.

“And you are here to take back my verbal reply, correct?” The female orc warchief asked the paladin.

“That is right. So chose what you’ll say carefully orc.” The paladin told her with a bravado that they didn’t actually feel.

“Very well. Tell her majesty the queen that I, myself, along with a few other attendants will come and report on the happenings here… Assuming that you can’t just tell her yourself that we have no intentions of invasion.”

The paladin shook their head.

“I am afraid that will be insufficient. They require a show of good faith by your appearance and explanation.”

The Warchief let out a sigh.

“Then inform your queen that she can expect our delegation within the next two months. And inform her majesty that the orcs are not preparing for war. That we had to deal with an internal conflict that has since been resolved.”

The paladin harrumphed at the Warchief.

“Inform her yourself you half-breed bitch.” They turned about-face “I will only inform her that you plan to come.” 

Lilian watched as the paladin walked back towards the group of other paladins.

“*SIGH* What a bother.” Lilian groused as she turned towards Anna and Tharhym.

“Looks like we are going to have to hold an emergency meeting.”

14