Beam Me Up, Kryptonian!
2.1k 23 55
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
It's been a while, so here's 10,790 words for you.

Because the USS Enterprise had been diverted back to Earth to deal with the inquiries for both the Q entity and Ensign Crusher incidents, they were not in space when the strange messages and SOS signals came from a science vessel named the USS Tsiolkovsky that was monitoring a collapsing super-giant star. The USS Excelsior was assigned to respond and both ships soon lost contact with Starfleet.

A starbase nearby was contacted and their long range sensors detected that the ships were just sitting there. A runabout was sent out, with only volunteers aboard, and they flew out to investigate. As they approached the area, the star collapsed and a large fragment of stellar debris was ejected and was sent on a direct course for the two ships.

Frantic over the imminent destruction of both ships, the runabout's crew tried to desperately contact the ships, to no avail. It was also decided that it was too dangerous to beam over, considering that no life signs could be detected on either ship and the reason for that might not be discovered in time to save anyone that beamed over or anyone else on either ship.

The runabout was too small for a tractor beam to work on either of the ships or the large fragment of star, so they flew out of the way to watch and record the event that they couldn't possibly stop. It didn't take long before the fragment tore through the ships as if they didn't exist and both warp cores exploded. It was enough to cause a reaction in the fragment and the runabout was rocked as the fragment exploded as well, removing all evidence that either ship had ever been there.

“We didn't just witness six hundred and fifty-eight people die for nothing.” One of the crew said from the monitoring station.

“Unfortunately, we did.” The captain of the ship said. “No sensor data could be recovered from either ship.”

“It was almost like someone turned off their main computers.” The science officer commented. “They weren't even sending out the normal IFF that all of our ships do automatically.”

The captain sighed. “Well, let's send what we have back to Starfleet and get back to the starbase. I doubt they'll be any happier about this than we are.”

“What about the star?” The pilot asked and turned the little ship around.

“It's already collapsed and blown out.” The science officer said and added the data to the download. “There's nothing left for us to do here.”

Those words rang in everyone's ears as they warped back to the starbase. Feeling useless was not a good feeling at all.

*

Calvin was happy to be back on the Enterprise. The flight up from the planet had been enjoyable, because he had managed to convince Tasha, Geordi, Data, and Worf to come with him and Deanna. It had only taken a few moments to add the jump seats to the rear of the shuttlepod and they had a great discussion about shuttle design.

“I still can't believe you built this thing yourself.” Tasha said as they stepped out into the shuttlebay.

“I wasn't allowed to access warp technology as a student to build a full shuttlecraft, so I had to settle for the sub-light shuttlepod.”

Geordi barked a laugh. “Of course you would want to build your own warp core.”

Calvin smiled at him. “Hey, you can't tell me you don't have a few design specs floating around up there.” He said and pointed to Geordi's forehead. “What do you have the warp core up to now? 86%?”

“It's at 87% after the last tweak you helped me with.” Geordi said with pride as they all left the shuttlebay. “Before I forget, the chief said she wants you working on the intake manifold for the buzzard collectors during the next shift.”

“Inside the pylons where it's safe or outside on the warp nacelles?” Calvin asked with a knowing smile.

Geordi smiled back. “Outside. She thinks there's a build-up of condensation and doesn't want them to get jammed the next time we pass through a nebula.”

“That is a concern.” Calvin said. “I'll grab a suit and get out there as soon as I drop off my bag.”

“I think she meant during the next graveyard shift, Cal.” Deanna said and hugged his arm. “You can't disrupt the normal engineering shift or stop the ship from using the warp engines until then.”

Calvin sighed sadly and nodded.

“You poor thing! Forced to not work!” Tasha said with a soft laugh.

“You can help me re-calibrate the ship's database to be more efficient.” Data offered. He didn't like seeing his friend sad.

“You're on!” Calvin said happily.

“I'll take your bag and you can go play with Data.” Deanna said.

“Thanks! You're the best!” Calvin said and kissed her deeply, handed her the bag of items from Starfleet R&D, and walked off with Data as they chatted about attacking the database from two fronts or doubling up on a single attack.

“Worf? Perhaps you should tag along and make sure they don't mess up your weapons profiles.” Tasha said.

Worf looked worried for a moment. “They wouldn't.” He said and then he sighed and ran off.

“Damn. I better go, too.” Geordi said and ran off as well.

Deanna and Tasha held in their laugh until the men were out of sight, then they both laughed out loud.

“Cal is like a kid in a candy store when it comes to technology.” Deanna said with a fond smile.

“You're really into each other.” Tasha said as they went to the turbolift.

Deanna nodded. “I've never felt this complete before. Both here and here.” She said and indicated her heart and her mind.

“Crew quarters.” Tasha said as they entered the turbolift. “It must be nice.”

“It really is.” Deanna said and touched Tasha's arm. “It's something only Betazeds encounter. Our telepathic abilities are almost dependent on having a partner to keep us balanced.”

“I thought you were only half-Betazed?” Tasha asked, curiously.

“I am. I've only ever been able to sense other people's emotions and not their thoughts.” Deanna said and stepped out of the turbolift when it stopped and opened. “Being bonded with Cal, though...”

“Is his mind really that great?” Tasha asked as Deanna dropped off Calvin's bag in his room.

“It's like a fountain of information that I can access whenever I want.” Deanna said.

“What's he thinking right now?” Tasha asked as a test.

“He's debating on whether or not he should tell Worf and Geordi that Data's working on a mock-up database and not on the actual ship's database.”

Tasha clamped her mouth shut to stop her laugh. She almost succeeded and laughed a little, which made Deanna smile.

“Cal has a healthy sense of humor.” Deanna said and stopped at her quarters.

“Healthy and not good?” Tasha asked, almost teasingly.

Deanna laughed. “When he and his father get together...” She shook her head. “Beverly has had her hands full the last five years.”

“I can just imagine.” Tasha said. “Say, have you tried on some of those outfits Cal bought us?”

“Oh, I did.” Deanna said and opened her door. “That chiffon blouse with the lace underlay felt divine on my skin.”

“It really does!” Tasha said. “Even though I bought the blue one, the red one you have was nice, too.”

“That pleated skirt you chose was as nice as the pants I have.” Deanna said.

Tasha looked longingly into Deanna's apartment and Deanna could feel Tasha's emotions.

“The wraps are as light as clouds, too.” Deanna said and took a step into her quarters. “Why don't you come in and we can look at them again?”

“You're on!” Tasha said in a copy of Calvin's exclamation and practically ran inside the apartment.

Deanna laughed softly at her friend and the door closed behind her as they went into her bedroom to raid the closet.

*

“Of course, Admiral. We'll head for the planet Ligon II to acquire the vaccine needed to combat the outbreak of Anchilles fever on Styris IV.” Captain Picard said.

“Excellent. Let us know when you arrive for the relief effort.” The admiral said and ended the call.

“Captain? If I may comment?” Calvin asked and Picard nodded. “A case of Anchilles fever hasn't been recorded in two years.”

“I assume you know that because of your mother?” Picard asked and Calvin nodded back. “It does seem odd to have an outbreak on a well populated world that's medically maintained by Starfleet.”

“I assume the Ligonians are the only ones that produce the vaccine?” Calvin asked.

“You assume correctly. Their planet is the only known one that grows the necessary plants used to create the vaccine.” Picard paused for a moment. “I believe I know what you are implying.”

Calvin smiled and set the course for the planet. “On your command.”

“Engage.” Picard said.

Calvin initiated the warp procedure and took them to warp nine.

“It's also telling that they are going to deliver a sample of the vaccine for us to verify that it's real.” Picard added.

“Yes, sir. Instead of just selling us the entire shipment.” Calvin said and nodded as he turned to the captain. “The question is, are they only ensuring returning customers?”

Picard sat back in his chair. “Number One?”

“It is convenient that both the outbreak and the vaccine's location was made available to the federation at practically the same time.” Riker said.

“Counsellor Troi, your thoughts?” Picard asked.

“Solely based on conjecture, they may want something from us.” Deanna said. “Perhaps access to the flagship and its advanced systems.”

Picard turned to look at Georgi at the engineering station. “Mr. LaForge?”

“It's possible. There's a lot of experimental technology being used.” Geordi said. “The advanced science labs alone have the best equipment that Starfleet has to offer.”

Picard sat back and thought about it. “Tasha?”

“I can only guess about it, sir.”

Picard smiled. “Please do.”

“If they only send the sample, then my guess won't matter.” Tasha said.

“However?” Picard prompted.

“They will send an away team and will probably ask for a tour.” Tasha said. “It's the best way to gain access to the ship while also being polite about the infiltration.”

Picard nodded. “Worf? Anything to add?”

“A dampening field for weapons.” Worf said. “It's not a federation world and little is known about their culture and beliefs.”

“Now that is a good point.” Riker said. “Captain, perhaps a complete dampening field to stop any energy devices and not just weapons. An unknown culture could believe that a disruptor is their right to carry, despite knowing Starfleet protocols.”

“It's a little untrustworthy to disable their items without telling them.” Picard said and glanced at Deanna. “Your thoughts on this?”

“We can't expect them to act under our culture's rules if they don't acknowledge them beforehand.” Deanna said. “Perhaps a warning about bringing weapons or other devices and then disable them if they bring them anyway?”

Picard smiled. “That is an excellent suggestion, counsellor. Thank you.”

Deanna tried to not preen under the praise and felt Calvin's approval in the back of her mind. “You're welcome, captain.”

“Commander Riker, if they send an away team as Tasha suspects, I'll leave the details to you.” Picard said.

“Yes, sir. I'll handle it.” Riker said.

“I'll be in my ready room.” Picard said and walked across the bridge to disappear from sight.

“Tasha, have a security team of two ready.” Riker said.

“I'd like to supervise them myself, sir.” Tasha said.

“Not alone.” Riker said.

“No, sir. I'll have a crewman with me.”

Riker nodded and looked at Worf. “An expert in weapons attending the transporter room may be in order.”

Worf smiled and understood what he meant. “Yes, sir.”

Data and Calvin exchanged looks.

“Do you think we should set up a few extra emitters in the main transporter room?” Calvin asked.

“That is a good question. Can we reinforce a strong enough dampening field from the existing emitters?” Data asked and started typing lightning fast on his console. When it beeped, he looked at the results. “There is an eighty-seven percent chance of success with the current emitter setup with most types of known technology.”

Calvin copied his results and nodded. “I think four more emitters will give us enough coverage, assuming we can use the transporter results to determine the types of technology they have on their persons.”

“That is a good observation.” Data said and typed some more before he spoke again. “We can copy the diagnostics results from the transporter buffer into the dampening field program.”

“The computer should be able to adjust the settings for the best results.” Calvin said and did some of his own typing. When it beeped, he nodded. “Yes, even if it's not known by our systems, getting the signal should let the dampening field make an inverse signal to stop it from functioning.”

“I'll replicate four more emitters and install them.” Data said and paused his console before he stood. “Send me the modifications for the field when I call.”

“You got it.” Calvin said.

“Counsellor Troi, will you be on hand for an unobtrusive observation?” Riker asked.

Deanna smiled. “I believe I can be walking towards Ten Forward at an appropriate time.”

Riker nodded. “Good work, everyone. Let's get this done.”

“Sir.” They all said and then Data left the bridge as his replacement sat down at the secondary console.

*

“Thank you for allowing us to tour such an advanced ship.” Lutan, a dark skinned man and the leader of the Ligonian people, said. He was accompanied by three other men and they were all impressed by both the ship and Tasha Yar. She was the security chief and had a large staff working under her. After a demonstration of various fighting techniques on the holodeck by her, they were escorted into a waiting room for the results of the vaccine tests.

However, rather than wait there, one of the men subdued the security crewman and two of the men grabbed Tasha's arms at Lutan's command.

Lutan looked into her eyes. “You are a very suitable female to become my First One.” He said and lightly caressed her cheek.

“I don't think so.” Tasha said and started to struggle as she stomped on one of the men's toes.

He hissed and otherwise didn't let her go. The third man dropped the now unconscious crewman onto the floor.

“Yes, you're feisty. I like that.” Lutan said and touched something on his upper arm that looked like a bracelet. “Five to return.”

When there was no answer and no de-materialization, Lutan frowned.

“I said, five to return.” Lutan said as he hit the crystal button again.

“Perhaps we are out of range.” The man not holding Tasha said.

Lutan nodded. “Use the emergency beacons and transport.”

All four of the men hit a different crystal on their arm bands and nothing happened... except to free Tasha up enough to headbutt one of the men holding her. He screamed as his nose shattered and then her fist connected with the other man's scrotum. He doubled over in pain and she kicked out with her leg fully extended to slam her heel into the third man's chin and flattened him to the floor, right next to the crewman that he had dropped there.

She turned around and kneed the second man in the face and knocked him out. Her hand shot out and grabbed the first man and pulled his face down onto her other knee, knocking him out as well. She turned to look at Lutan with her face set in anger. Lutan's eyes widened and he held his hands up as if to ward off a blow.

Tasha huffed at the coward and threw a right hook right at his chin. It connected and Lutan's lights went right out as he dropped to the floor. He apparently had a glass jaw. The door to the meeting room opened and Calvin appeared right beside her.

“Nice work, Tasha.” Calvin said.

Tasha took several breaths and gave him a stern look. “You could have helped me, you know.”

Calvin smiled and put a hand on her shoulder. “I did. As did Deanna and Data.”

Tasha looked surprised.

“She told us of their deceitful emotions and both Data and I modified the dampening field. We had to create one in here as well when they activated their devices.” Calvin said as Riker and Deanna came into the meeting room.

“Luckily, we caught a trace of their energy signatures when one of them contacted the planet during the tour.” Riker said. “It let Data and Calvin modify the field and narrow the wide range to their specific technology.”

“I could have used some help in the fight.” Tasha said.

Calvin, Riker, and Deanna looked down at the four unconscious men on the floor, then looked back at her.

Tasha couldn't stop the smile from appearing on her face. “Maybe an earlier distraction?”

Calvin chuckled and gave her shoulder a light squeeze before letting it go. “Believe me, if I thought you needed the help, I would have been in here instantly.”

Tasha raised her eyebrows at him.

“I've been watching you from the bridge this whole time.” Calvin admitted. “I was also just out in the hallway after you arrived here, just in case.”

“Should I reprimand you for using ship's resources to watch a crew member?” Riker asked with a slight smile.

“I was technically following the captain's orders.” Calvin said with a grin and winked at Tasha, who for some reason, blushed.

“Let's get these people to sickbay and then into holding cells.” Riker said.

Tasha called for more security personnel and soon all four of them were treated for their injuries, stripped of their various items and jewellery, then put into holding cells behind both a force field and a dampening field to block their transporters.

After that, the command crew gathered in the main observation and meeting room that was down a corridor from the bridge.

“Report.” Picard said and they all told them about the current situation, what had happened, and showed him the security footage and the reports. “So, Tasha was right. They did want something other than to deliver the vaccine sample for testing.”

“None of us guessed that Tasha herself was what they wanted.” Deanna said. “Not even their emotions gave them away until they tried to spring their trap.”

Picard nodded. “Dr. Polaski, where do we stand with the vaccine?”

“It's genuine, captain.” Dr. Polaski said. “It should clear up the disease within a week of treatment.”

That made everyone around the table frown.

“Only a week? Really?” Calvin asked.

Dr. Polaski nodded. “It's quite potent for a vaccine and should eradicate the disease in only one dose.”

Picard saw Calvin's thinking face and let him stew for several moments before he spoke. “Ensign? You have a concern?”

Calvin seemed to wake up from his contemplation and looked at Picard. “Yes, captain. It's just... normally, it would take several treatments and constant medical care to treat any disease, just to ensure that there wasn't a relapse or a reinfection from another source. For the vaccine to be that effective...”

Picard nodded. “I understand. You're implying that both the disease and the vaccine were manufactured on purpose to be completely compatible.”

“Exactly, captain. We were suspicious when both the disease and then the cure was made known to the federation.” Calvin said and nodded at Riker. “Now with the vaccine that will clear it right up without much fuss...”

Dr. Polaski nodded. “I have to agree, captain. The coincidences are just too coincidental.”

Picard smiled slightly at her wording. “What do you suggest we do?”

Dr. Polaski sighed. “There's not much we can do. We need that vaccine to treat the disease. The outbreak needs to be contained.”

Calvin held up a hand and everyone around the table looked at him.

“Another problem, Ensign?” Riker asked.

“Yes. I just can't get over why we need the vaccine from them.” Calvin said.

Dr. Polaski sighed again. “They are the only planet that grows the needed plants and their distilling process is completely unknown. There's no way we can artificially reproduce it.”

Calvin put his hand down. “I don't believe that's true.”

That surprised everyone, especially Dr. Polaski.

“I think we all need you to explain that.” Picard said and sat back in his chair. For some reason, he knew that whatever the ensign said, was going to be a shock and prepared for it.

“I have a few ideas.” Calvin said and thought about the several special engineering tools that the entity from Farpoint Station had gifted to him. “One of which might surprise a few people.” He looked at Geordi and Sarah, the engineering assistant and chief, respectfully.

“Okay, now you really have to explain.” Sarah said.

“Data, we might need to get a transporter chief in on this.” Calvin said, giving the android a hint.

“I believe Chief O'Brien would be the best suited, as he was on duty at the time of transport.” Data said and then his head twitched. “Oh. I see.”

“I thought you would.” Calvin said with a smile. “It's a radical idea that might change things. A lot of things.”

Data nodded in understanding.

“Stop beating around the bush, Cal!” Deanna said and lightly slapped his arm.

Calvin chuckled. “I'm sorry. I just didn't want only myself to think along these lines.”

“What lines?” Geordi asked.

“Crossing a transporter's main programming and pattern buffer with a heavily modified replicator.” Calvin said.

The chief engineer gasped and Geordi's mouth dropped open.

“You can't be serious! Those systems are NOT compatible!” Sarah exclaimed.

“Not yet.” Calvin said and that made everyone at the table look surprised. “It's going to take work...”

“I estimate about thirty hours for the engineering aspect alone.” Data said. “Assuming we can get the physical components to interact properly.”

Calvin nodded. “I think if we strip out a lot of the superfluous data from both the transporter's programming and the replicator, so it only focuses on a single item...”

“You're talking about thousands of lines of code for each function.” Geordi said. “Removing even part of it, might mess up the entire program. We discussed that when you and Data were working on the central computer core mock-up.”

“Yes, and we took your words to heart. It's why we haven't implemented any of the changes without talking to both Utopia Planitia Fleet yards and Starfleet R&D first. They have more experience with the Enterprise's systems than we do.” Calvin said. “At this point, at least. That might change in the future.”

“We will not know what it will contain until we start pulling it apart.” Data said and looked at the captain. “With your permission, while you and Commander Riker investigate the attempted kidnapping of Lieutenant Yar, Calvin and I can start working on making handing over so much valuable resources to a hostile planet superfluous.”

Picard looked around the table. “Opinions?”

“Captain, if they can somehow make a transporter and replicator work together, it could revolutionize the entire federation.” Sarah, the chief engineer said. “I would be more than happy to assist their efforts.”

“I agree.” Geordi said. “The power consumption might need to be severely regulated as well. I suggest working with a closed system and not hook directly to the plasma conduits.”

Calvin thought about that. “Data? A class five shuttlecraft's warp drive should be sufficient for a power shunt, shouldn't it?”

Data's head tilted slightly and then straightened. “It should give us several attempts, perhaps half a dozen, before an overload of the equipment or a backlash to the shuttle happens. The shutdown on the shuttlecraft's warp core would be a sufficient stopgap if any problems arise. There would be no danger to the ship.”

“Being able to replicate the vaccine as it is, without having to reproduce the process to create it, would solve the problems we will have with the Ligonians and them being the only source.” Dr. Polaski said.

Deanna put her hand on Calvin's arm. “I believe if anyone can do it, it's Ensign Crusher.”

“With the chief engineer's help and Geordi's assistance, we can cut the time necessary for the physical components down to twenty hours.” Data said. “Only Calvin and I can handle the programming integration.”

“How long for that part?” Riker asked.

“As it's never been done before, we can only guess with the times that the original programming happened.” Calvin said. “However, since we won't be using it in its entirety, maybe three days.”

“So, a week.” Picard said and saw several nods. “Ensign Crusher?”

“I believe we can stall for a week, since it would take us longer than that to get there at the cruising speed of warp six.” Calvin said. “We can go to warp nine and make up that time to get to the planet with plenty of time before anyone is in immediate danger.”

“Dr. Polaski?” Picard asked.

“I agree. We have a two week grace period before the vaccine absolutely needs to be there.”

Picard thought about it for several moments and remembered the inquiry admiral's words about allowing Calvin to show her what he can do. “All right. I approve of the project and will grant you the releases to the restricted programming codes.”

Calvin sucked in a sharp breath. “Captain...”

“You're going to need to know how they work from the ground up, Ensign. Don't waste this opportunity to show us what you can do.” Picard said, pointedly.

Calvin's eyebrows rose and he also remembered what the admiral said at the inquiry. “I won't, captain.”

“Good.” Picard said. “Number One, let me know when the prisoners wake up. We will need to have some words with them about their illegal behavior.”

Riker smiled. “You will be the first to know, captain.”

Picard nodded. “Dismissed.”

Everyone stood and split up to go about their tasks.

*

“I don't get it.” Calvin said as he poured over the programming for the replicator. He, Data, Geordi, and Sarah had successfully produced the individual parts for a standard replicator and for a single transporter pad setup for a shuttlecraft. They had yet to try and assemble anything until they worked out the programming.

“What is it that you do not get?” Data asked as he went over the transporter's programming.

“Why are there set limits on what a normal replicator can reproduce?” Calvin asked.

“What do you mean?” Data asked.

“Leaving industrial replicators out of the conversation for now, a normal replicator can take a stored pattern of a certain size and then produce an item from that pattern, as many times as we want.” Calvin said and Data nodded. “Since it uses energy to convert to matter, which is the basis for replicator technology, why can't we produce anything we want?”

“The energy cost is sometimes too high to produce some of the more exotic materials.” Data said. “Dilithium Crystals, for example. It is much cheaper and cost effective to use real ones that are mined than to use synthetic ones produced in a science lab.”

Calvin stopped going over the code and turned to look at him. “That! That right there!”

“What is it?” Data asked.

“You literally told me the problem I have with the technology.” Calvin said. “I don't want to create a synthetic crystal. I want to reproduce a transported crystal.”

Data frowned. “It's not possible to copy a transporter buffer's pattern. It's in transition and...”

“Yes! That right there!” Calvin said and stood up. “Hold that thought, Data!”

Data sat there as Calvin disappeared and was gone for several moments. When he reappeared, he had a smile on his face.

“You and I need to conduct a little experiment.” Calvin said with a wave of his arm to have Data follow him. They walked out of the science lab they were using and went to the shuttlebay. One of the large shuttlecraft had been taken out of storage and was prepped for their project as a power source.

“What are we doing?” Data asked.

“Something that no one else seems to have done before.” Calvin said and took out a weird looking handheld device. “This is pretty simple to use. It's like a normal tricorder, except it can scan almost anything, thanks to the modifications I've done to it with a few specialized tools.”

Data examined it and saw that the design did not fit Starfleet's normal tricorder dimensions or its display.

“Okay, I'm going to use the shuttlecraft's replicator to create a single apple and I want you to scan its pattern.”

“That should not be possible.” Data said. “Instruments cannot normally detect patterns as they are produced.”

“I know.” Calvin said with a smile. “Ready?”

Data opened the device and nodded as he activated it.

“Computer. One apple, please.” Calvin said and the small personal replicator on the shuttlecraft used the set pattern in its memory for an apple and sent energy into the receptacle for it to be constructed.

Data's eyes widened slightly as a distinct pattern signal appeared on the detection device he held. “I have it.”

Calvin chuckled. “You sound surprised, Data!”

“I do not have emotions, Cal.” Data reminded him.

Calvin laughed and picked up the apple. “Well, you keep that not-surprised look on your face and I'll be right back. I have an apple for Miles to send to us through the transporter.”

Data raised an eyebrow at him and Calvin laughed again as he ran out of the shuttlebay. He was back a minute later and entered the shuttlecraft.

“Data, save that pattern reading and get ready to scan the transporter pad.” Calvin said before he tapped his comm badge. “All right, Miles. Link up the systems and send the apple through. We're ready.”

“Sending the link code. Transporter pads in sync. Signal stable.” Miles said. “Energizing.”

The apple slowly appeared on the transporter pad and Data scanned it.

“I have the pattern.” Data said and saved it.

“Great! Compare the two of them and tell me what differences there are between the replicator's pattern and the transporter's pattern.” Calvin said. He left the comm link with Miles open.

Data used the device and examined both patterns. After only a few seconds, both of his eyebrows raised and he looked at Calvin. “There's no difference.”

“You're kidding!” Miles said from Calvin's comm badge.

Calvin chuckled as he accepted the device from Data and checked it himself as he loaded the data onto several datapads. “We're not kidding, my friend. The scans are quite conclusive. Both the replicator and the transporter produced the same pattern.”

“That... that... I think I need a drink!” Miles said.

Calvin laughed. “We're off shift right now. How about we head to Ten Forward and discuss it?”

“I'll call engineering and let Geordi know.” Data said.

The small group met up at the bar ten minutes later, with Sarah, the chief engineer also showing up.

Calvin handed over the datapads as a waitress served them drinks. “Check those scans out.”

Geordi, Sarah, and Miles looked at the results. The three of them were quiet as they tapped inquiries onto the datapads and checked a few things. Calvin took a drink and both he and Data waited for them to finish.

“Good lord.” Sarah whispered and looked at Calvin. “How did you get these readings?”

Calvin took out the modified device and handed it to her.

“What is that?” Sarah and Geordi asked at the same time and they huddled over it as Sarah checked it out.

“That is a combination of mom's medical scanning technology, Starfleet R&D's extensive research, and my own tweaking and calibration techniques that technically shouldn't exist.” Calvin said.

They worked at it for ten minutes, taking occasional sips of the drinks that Calvin had the waitress refill when needed.

“You have got to replicate one of these things for me.” Sarah said. “This... this technology...”

“That's kind of the problem I have at the moment.” Calvin said and Data, Miles, Geordi and Sarah looked at him. “It can't be replicated. It's too heavily modified and the replicator's programming can't handle the intricacies.”

“But...”

“Yes, I've tried.” Calvin said. “Both from scratch and by using one of the prototypes I made as recycling material.”

“What happened?” Sarah asked.

“It fizzled out and turned it into sludge. It recycled the sludge easily, though.” Calvin said with a smile.

Geordi barked a laugh and shook his head. “That's what set you to thinking about the transporters?”

“In a roundabout way. I really wanted to get my hands on an old replicator to pull apart and to experiment on, just to see what I could do with it.” Calvin said. “Once I started thinking about the recycling option and it not being able to handle the device, I had to try the transporter.”

“How many prototypes do you have?” Sarah asked and almost hugged the one in front of her.

“Three. One was a proof of concept and it was about a foot wide, one was for a more streamlined design, and one was for a more integrated display and better functions.” Calvin said. “What you have in front of you is several weeks worth of after shift work.”

“Wait, weeks?” Geordi asked. “You're not telling us that you worked at super-speed for weeks to make this thing, are you?”

Calvin smiled crookedly. “The programming alone was a real pain in the ass.”

“And there's only one.” Sarah said and looked down at the device longingly.

“For now.” Calvin said and her head shot up to stare at him. “If we can get this Frankenstein technology cobbled together enough to work, it will prove that it can be done.”

“I want to get back to helping you; but, I'm beat. Geordi and I just pulled a double shift in engineering recalibrating the warp core's dilithium matrix.” Sarah said and looked down at the device. “I can't keep this, can I?”

“No, Data and I need it to keep working.” Calvin said, a little sadly.

It really was a very useful device and he had already patented the design as the second piece of Kyptonian technology. The thing was, no one could reproduce it without his specialized engineering tools and techniques.

“You're not going to bed after this meeting?” Sarah asked and then blushed slightly. “Not that that's any of my business.”

Calvin chuckled. “It's all right. Deanna went to bed a while ago. I spent some time with her, just so she doesn't think I'm pushing her aside to get this done.”

Sarah nodded and finished her latest drink. “She's a lucky woman to have you be so attentive.” She said and stood. “I'll see you after the command shift tomorrow in the lab.”

“Me, too.” Geordi said and stood. “I'll also want to see those tools and techniques of yours.”

Calvin smiled. “I haven't patented them yet; but, they are proprietary. I also can't use the replicator to reproduce them.”

“Dammit! Stop making new things that we can't use!” Sarah said and then really blushed. “I'm sorry.”

Calvin stood up and put a hand on her shoulder. “It won't always be that way. I promise.”

Sarah sighed. “Just... try to not leave us all behind with all these inventions, okay?”

“I wouldn't have allowed anyone else to be on this project if I was going to do that.” Calvin said. “Both you and Geordi are major contributors to this. When it works...”

“You mean if.” Sarah said.

“No. When.” Calvin said. “We've got this. We now know that the patterns are the same for both a replication and a transport. All we need to do is figure out how to hold that pattern in a transport buffer and apply replication technology to use it as a base and then reproduce it without losing the original.”

“That is going to be our focus for the next stage.” Data said and stood as well. “Chief O'Brien will help immeasurably with that part of the system and the coding.”

“I'd be happy to.” Miles said and remained seated as another drink was brought over to him. “Are you having trouble with the integration equations or the wave signal specifics for the pattern emitters?”

“The equations. The transporter emitters are set for a much larger aperture opening than a replicator.” Data said. “We don't want to lose the original after we record the pattern.”

Miles nodded. “Yeah, that would definitely throw off the calculations. They weren't designed for a transport area that's less than two meters.”

“When are you off again?” Calvin asked.

“Third shift tomorrow.” Miles said.

“You're pulling a double shift, too?” Geordi asked.

Miles smiled. “No, I have a date for second shift.”

“Now that's a good idea.” Calvin said and tucked the device back into the pouch on his belt. “I'll have to see when Deanna is free and do the same the next day.”

“If you're using the holodeck, I suggest avoiding the Risa simulation.” Geordi said with a sigh as he, Calvin, Sarah and Data started to walk away from the table. “I made the mistake of taking a date to what was supposed to be a beautiful planet with spectacular sunsets.”

“What? It didn't have them?” Calvin asked and waved to Miles. “See you later.”

Miles raised is glass in a salute and stayed at the table.

“Oh, it did.” Geordi said. “It also had muscled men in little shorts and scantily-clad women constantly propositioning us for sex.”

Calvin couldn't stop his bark of laughter and Sarah laughed softly.

“Yes, it was a disaster.” Geordi said. “I deleted the other people after a short time and then there was no one left to serve us the meal I prepared beforehand.”

“You tried to bring a waitress back and she was barely clothed at all, wasn't she?” Calvin asked with a grin.

Geordi just sighed and Calvin laughed.

“Lesson learned, my friend.” Calvin said and pat him on the back. “Get some sleep and I'll see you tomorrow. Both of you.”

Sarah and Geordi nodded and entered the turbolift. Data and Calvin walked back down the hallway to go to another turbolift to get to the lab.

“Do you believe we can work through everything in the allotted time?” Data asked.

“It's more than enough time. I left room for human error and for the others to have a normal life.” Calvin said. “That doesn't mean we won't have a lot of work to do in the meantime.”

“Are we pulling apart the replicator's main buffer to see what it really does in comparison to a transporter's main buffer?” Data asked as they entered another turbolift.

“You took the thought right out of my head, Data.” Calvin smiled. “Deck Seven, please.”

The turbolift took off and they both felt the shift, even with the inertial dampeners in place.

“I estimate approximately six hours for us to complete the comparison.” Data said.

“Plenty of time for us to freshen up and change into clean uniforms for the command shift.” Calvin said and Data nodded. They left the turbolift and walked down the hallway to their lab, entered, and went to work.

*

“You will return my mate immediately!” Yareena, Lutan's First One and a very beautiful dark skinned female, said from the viewscreen on the bridge. “It has been a week now that you have held him illegally!”

“He assaulted one of my officers and tried to kidnap her.” Picard said. “We have it recorded...”

“I do not care about what 'evidence' you have! It is not against the law here to do such things!” Yareena exclaimed. “He was proving himself as a warrior against a superior force!”

Her words surprised everyone on the bridge.

“Mr. Data?” Picard asked.

“One moment, captain.” Data said and left his console to go to the back of the bridge and sat down at one of the science stations there. His hands flew across the console as he searched for anything like that in the federation database. After several seconds, the station beeped at him.

“What did you discover?” Riker asked.

“It is a similar practice to something from ancient Japan, where a warrior proves their bravery by stealing something from a superior foe that they know they can't beat, to either shame them into admitting defeat or to agree to a contest in their favor.” Data said.

“Hmm. I see.” Picard said and rubbed his chin. “Ensign Crusher, your thoughts on this?”

“Obviously, Lutan failed in his attempt. I believe that under their own rules, he has also failed as a proven warrior.” Calvin said and Yareena gasped. “I am sorry for pointing that out, Milady.”

Yareena's eyes went to him. “What is that word?”

“Milady is a term used to denote a woman of high class.” Calvin said, leaving off that it was from the eighteenth century on Earth.

Yareena's smile was wide. “Yes. I like that term. Thank you...” She gave him a questioning look.

“Ensign Crusher.” Calvin said.

“That is an odd first name.” Yareena said.

Calvin didn't correct her assumption.

“Lutan has failed in his duty to our people with a foolish plan and has been caught by a superior foe, embarrassing himself and us.” Yareena said. “It is my right to declare our bond dissolved for the shame he has given our people.”

The man behind her on the screen sucked in a sharp breath.

Yareena glanced at him and gave him a sexy smile, which made the man blush. “Hagon, you have been promoted to my First One.”

The man looked extremely happy for exactly one second before he schooled his features and nodded.

Yareena turned back to face the bridge. “I have need of a Second One, Ensign.” She said and her eyes roamed over Calvin's muscular form.

“I am already bonded to my own mate, Milady.” Calvin said and ducked his head slightly. “I am honored that you considered me for the position.”

Yareena looked very pleased at his reaction and looked at the captain. “Are all federation citizens so respectful?”

“We all strive to be, Milady.” Picard said without hesitation. He knew when to stroke an ego. “If I may make a suggestion?”

Yareena nodded.

“With Lutan's reduced status, he can no longer interfere with our business. Perhaps making him your Second One or even Third One would be appropriate.”

Yareena's smile almost split her face. “That is a very good suggestion, Captain Picard. When can we expect...”

Riker tapped his comm badge. “Transporter room. Energize.” He said and Lutan and his three guards materialized off to the right of where Yareena stood.

“I believe your own laws will punish him for his failures much more appropriately than our own laws would.” Picard said.

Yareena looked pleased again. “Thank you captain. We will send the vaccine immediately to your cargo hold.”

“Your payment will soon follow.” Picard said. “Good day, Milady.”

“Good day.” Yareena said and ended the transmission.

“Transporter room to bridge.” Miles O'Brien said.

“Bridge. Go ahead.” Riker said after tapping his comm badge.

“The cargo has been received.” Miles said.

“Then energize and send off the payment.” Riker said.

“Energizing now.” Miles said. “Transporter clear.”

“Thank you, chief.” Riker said and tapped his comm badge to end the call.

“Captain, if I may speak?” Data asked and turned to face Picard, who nodded. “We are very close to finishing the project.”

“I know.” Picard said. “However, keeping the Ligonians on friendly terms for now will only benefit us in the future.” He looked at Calvin. “Ensign? What made you think of using that old honorific?”

“Data's search from ancient Japan.” Calvin said. “If their society only placed men in the ruling positions like Japan did at the time and women were only considered property and to be kept in the background, I thought that introducing a dominating woman's title would shake things up a little for them.”

Deanna couldn't stop her laugh from escaping. “I don't have to tell you how pleased she was, do I?”

“I believe we could all easily see that, Counsellor. She did offer Ensign Crusher to be her second husband for it, after all.” Picard said with a smile and a few people on the bridge chuckled.

“I'm just glad she accepted my rejection without another kidnapping attempt!” Calvin exclaimed and that made a lot more of them laugh.

“Take us out, Ensign.” Riker said and left the smile on his face.

“Aye, sir.” Calvin said and entered the course. “Captain?”

“Make it so.” Picard said and the Enterprise left the orbit of the planet and quickly jumped to warp.

*

“Dammit, how does this thing work again?” Geordi asked as he looked at the weird tool he was trying to use.

Calvin chuckled and showed him again. “It's a circuit integrater. It lets you make the proper joining materials between different objects and systems without having to do it by hand, which is a pain in the ass, let me tell you.”

“Calvin failed twice before he remembered that he had that tool.” Data said and kept typing. “He refuses to tell me where he got it, except that it was at Farpoint Station.”

“I didn't see an engineering stall there.” Geordi said and used the tool that seemed to be a partial replicator and as he ran it across the distance between the control pad and the main computer bus for the replicator, it formed the wires and circuit board and connections needed. “How can it do this?”

“It's set to a standard configuration. You could run the thing all around the lab first and then bring it to the next part, and it will still have the same connections with lots of redundancies.” Calvin said. “It's quite the useful tool when you're making something that shouldn't exist.”

Geordi and Miles laughed.

“You've got that right.” Miles said. “I've never seen anyone try to bridge these two systems together.”

“It technically shouldn't work.” Sarah said and handed Miles a hydrospanner. “I hope you and Calvin didn't overlook anything when going over the transporter coding.”

“Thank you.” Miles said and used the hydrospanner to make the final adjustment to the completely rebuild transporter buffer. “Since we weren't under pressure to get it done, it only took us two days.” He said and sat back. “You know, this thing shouldn't look like this.”

Calvin barked a laugh. “Miles, we're doing the impossible here. Or supposedly impossible. We'll see just how impossible after the first test run.”

“I've got the emergency security forcefields set up and ready for activation.” Tasha said from the side of the room where the command crew had gathered.

“I doubt we'll need them... right away.” Calvin said and made Geordi, Miles, and Sarah laugh. “What? It should work at least once without blowing up.”

That made them laugh more.

“It should!” Calvin said and they stopped working briefly as they laughed harder. “Hey, I'm not paying you to laugh! Get back to work!”

Sarah dropped the hydrospanner she was using and her laughter filled the shuttlebay. “You... have to... pay us first... to cut it off.” She managed to say between laughs.

“I plan to.” Calvin said, a bit cryptically, and finished making the top of the skeleton cage. “Data? I'm ready for the top emitters.”

Data handed him two of them to install and he installed the other two on the other corners. Geordi used the specialized tool as he ran the connectors from the main replicator terminal to the emitters that were already installed, then he connected the ones Data and Calvin just installed.

“As you can all see, we've kind of cheated a bit.” Calvin said and stood back to look at something that seemed to be cobbled together from random technology. In effect, it really was a Frankenstein monster. “Neither Miles nor Data could get the integration equations to work with anything smaller than a two meter opening that a transporter uses, so we had to make our aperture openings that big.”

“Why didn't you use an industrial replicator?” Picard asked.

“It's not versatile enough. All it makes are things too big for a normal replicator and the programming reflects that.” Calvin said. “The restrictions are ridiculous, actually.”

“We had to completely rewrite the replicator's programming from scratch.” Data said. “It was quite challenging.”

Everyone looked at Calvin.

“You know it was pretty much a near impossible task for us if Data said it was challenging.” Calvin said and several of them nodded. “Breaking apart the physical locks on the technology was the hardest part, though. We had to strip everything down to almost nothing before...”

“Excuse me?” Picard asked, surprised. “What did you do?”

“We removed the physical blocks installed inside various components that stopped the new programming from working.” Data said. “It was quite enlightening to find out that the various components were hard-wired to only work with each other and not with anything else.”

“Which is why we have specific parts for each piece of technology. Replicators have their own section, transporters their own, plasma conduits, computer consoles, you name it, they are designed to only work with their own systems and not anything else. Their individual components are not transferable.” Calvin said.

“The only thing that's interchangeable are the isolinear chips and that's only if they are blanked first and given the proper software to run in the new systems.” Geordi said. “Calvin has definitely opened our eyes about how things are set up.”

Picard looked a little worried. “Ensign...”

“It's all right, captain. I'm not starting some kind of anti-tech club to spread the word about any of what we've discovered.” Calvin said. “It also won't change anyone's mind about fixing things or making them more interchangeable. That wasn't the point. The point is knowing you're working within a set limit and knowing what that limit is.”

“Then what are you trying to tell us?” Riker asked.

Calvin nodded to Data and he went to the console to install the single pattern that they had come up with. He also backed up the current programming of the Frankenstein machine, just in case it was needed again.

“It's quite simple, commander.” Calvin said as the people working on the construction retreated back to where the command crew stood. He went to the console and started typing. “Sudden leaps in technology stopped in the federation about a hundred years ago. No one really questioned why that was, even with the improvements to the systems that already exist, until my lifepod was found.”

“Cal.” Deanna whispered.

“No, it's okay.” Calvin said. “The federation was stagnating, even in the R&D department, because no one really had any new ideas and were only improving old ones. It was because of the new technology that my race employs that started to get the scientists across the federation to start thinking again. They started to adapt their own ideas to conform to the avenues of ideas that my technology brought to their minds.”

Calvin double checked the power cables to the shuttlecraft and went back to the cobbled together console. He worked for several more minutes before he nodded and initiated the procedure. He calmly walked over to where everyone else stood and Tasha erected the security forcefields around them.

“They still can't crack the information crystals or the propulsion engines, especially since the engines don't use traditional propulsion theories.” Calvin said and the sounds behind them started to get loud as the power was shunted into the Frankenstein machine. “My own theory is that they operate on either subspace or hyperspace energy, which wouldn't have a physical fuel component at all.”

Sarah and Geordi gasped.

“Exactly.” Calvin said and turned to look at the machine they had built together. “It's about to energize and create the very first large scale Kryptonian Extruder.”

Everyone was too stunned by his words to comment about the name. The main sequence initiated and the shuttlebay lit up like a miniature sun as the shuttlecraft's warp core energy was shunted through into the Frankenstein machine and it converted that energy into the programmed pattern that Calvin had worked on for several weeks.

After Data had finished helping him with the main programming, Calvin had added in a few little things that could assist the creation of new things. Mainly, miniature tractor beams like Wesley's school project and several security features that would stop anyone from trying to pry the thing open to see what was inside. He also added in its own small computer core and a stripped down AI similar to the Enterprise's with a different woman's voice.

It took two minutes for the pattern to coalesce onto the enormous transporter slash replicator pad on the bottom of the Frankenstein machine. When it was fully formed, nearly everyone let out gasps. It was six feet tall and just over three feet wide. The opening for replication was more than half the size of its entire structure, making it a three foot by three foot area. A lot of larger things could be made in that much space.

Just like the small device that Calvin had invented for better diagnostics, it didn't quite look like normal federation technology and had a distinct look that matched Calvin's lifepod, even if it wasn't made from the same materials.

“Tasha, let Data and I inside, please.” Calvin said.

“R-right.” Tasha said and dropped the shield temporarily. “It's not sparking or anything.”

Calvin handed his detection device to Data as they walked over to examine it. Tasha raised the security field again. It took another ten minutes before they finished going over everything.

“Okay. We have good news and bad news.” Calvin said.

“What's the good news?” Geordi asked before anyone else could.

“We can make another one after a few component replacements.” Calvin said.

“What's the bad news?” Tasha asked.

“It will definitely cause the Frankenstein machine to fail and probably blow the power converters and force the shuttlecraft to shut down the warp core.” Calvin said.

“Frankenstein machine?” Picard asked.

Calvin smiled and waved at it. “Pieces of tech from three different systems, wires and circuits everywhere, and a possible bolt of lightning if the power converters blow. What else would I call it?”

Picard smiled. “Good point.” He said and looked at the others. “That thing it produced...”

“The Kryptonian Extruder.” Calvin said.

“Yes. It looks quite large and heavy. We'll have to move it out of the way and secure it before trying to make another.” Picard said.

“That's not a problem.” Calvin said. “Kay One? Hover mode and go over behind the security screen.”

“Of course, Maker.” The extruder said in a feminine voice and the large machine rose up several inches. It floated over to Tasha at a walking pace and stopped at the security field.

“Good god.” Tasha whispered.

“Ensign Crusher...” Picard started to say.

“It's not sentient, if that's what you're going to ask.” Calvin said and pat Data's back. “We'll have to wait for a while longer before we can get Data a proper date.”

Deanna laughed and changed it to a cough to cover it up. Tasha looked shocked and Geordi just shook his head.

“Are you making a joke, Cal?” Data asked.

“No, my friend.” Calvin said as Tasha let the extruder into the forcefield. “Now that we have access to something that can deconstruct something for its transporter pattern and replicate it, the advances we can make are going to skyrocket.”

Data looked down at the device in his hand and back at Calvin.

“Yes, it should be able to make more, which is how I planned to pay Sarah and Geordi for their work.” Calvin said and ignored Sarah's squeal of surprise. “Let's patch up Frank and make another Kay.”

Data nodded and they spent another ten minutes replacing a few frayed wires and one of the leads to the power converters. They also had to replace one of the integrated circuit boards and three of the isolinear chips before loading in the programming onto them again.

Calvin tweaked the programming of the pattern to make it Kay Two and initiated the process again. He and Data went behind the security forcefield with the others to wait for the next Kay to be made.

It happened nearly identical to the last one, except sparks flew from different components and the power converters started smoking as Kay Two finished materializing. As soon as she was constructed, Calvin ordered her to get over to them immediately. She went into hover mode and flew over to them quickly as Tasha dropped the forcefield momentarily. It went back up just in time as nearly every component they had constructed and put together, sparked and shattered as the power converters overloaded and the shunted power blew everything apart.

Everyone covered their eyes from the multiple explosions and both Data and Calvin heard the shuttlecraft powering down to stop the warp core from failing containment. When the noise stopped and everything was quiet, they all looked around to see broken parts, torn wires, and scorch marks all over the place.

“You did not say that it would leave such a mess.” Picard said with a blank face.

Calvin chuckled. “Don't worry, captain. I have the perfect solution to that problem.” He turned to look at Tasha. “It's safe to drop the forcefield.”

Tasha looked at Picard and the man nodded. She dropped the security forcefield.

“Kay One and Kay Two.” Calvin said and both of the extruders turned to face him. “Recycle the debris, please. Any tools you find scattered around, gather and store.”

“Yes, Maker.” Kay One and Kay Two said at the same time with identical female voices. Nearly everyone was shocked when the two extruders moved out and used tiny tractor beams to lift and pull all of the mess into their openings, then the debris dissolved in the telltale transporter effect.

“Cal, did... did that thing just...” Sarah started to ask.

“It's one of the replicator's main functions.” Calvin said with a smile.

“Hovering and using tractor beams are not a normal replicator's functions.” Geordi said. “There goes Sarah's favorite hydrospanner.”

“WHAT?” Sarah yelled and then winced at the look on Captain Picard's face. “I'm sorry, captain. That was given to me by my instructor at Starfleet Academy. It means a lot to me.”

“Kay Two? Come here.” Calvin said. “Return Sarah's hydrospanner from storage, please.”

The hydrospanner appeared in the three foot by three foot opening and a tractor beam lifted it out to hover in front of Sarah.

Sarah took it and looked it over. “It's really the right one.”

“Of course it is. I asked them to store the tools, not replicate them.” Calvin said and everyone looked at him. “What?”

“You made them into transporter storage units?” Miles asked, surprised.

“Yes. Once we crossed the systems together and figured out that the patterns were the same, making a similar storage system as the replicator for only transported items was the next logical choice.” Calvin said. “It's held in a buffer cycle until it's needed again.”

Sarah looked at the hydrospanner and back at Calvin. “Can you make me another one?”

“I have to add it to the replicator database if you want a copy.” Calvin informed her.

“You didn't do that already?” Geordi asked.

“No. There's a hydrospanner in the database already.” Calvin said and pointed to Sarah's hand. “If she wants a copy of that specific one, then I can add it under her name and give her the copy and the original back.”

“Please do that.” Sarah said and handed it over. “I've nearly lost it a few times and I don't want that to happen again.”

Calvin added it to Kay Two and the extruder produced the copy, clearly marked, and then produced the original. “There. You can't mix them up now.”

Sarah took both and smiled. “Thanks, Cal.”

“Don't thank me yet.” Calvin said and put his detection and scanning device into the opening before hitting several buttons and giving Kay Two several commands. The device disappeared in a transporter pattern and then six more devices appeared in the opening.

“It can make multiples of the same complicated device at the same time?” Sarah asked, surprised.

“Sure. It even has its own miniature dilithium chamber controlled warp core that the shuttlecraft's power kick-started for me. It's not going to run out of power for a long time.” Calvin said, surprising nearly everyone, except for Data. He had been a part of the main planning stages right from the start. Calvin handed Sarah and Geordi their own devices, then tucked the remaining four into his belt pouches before retrieving the original.

“You actually went through with making your own warp core?” Geordi asked with a huff. “That figures!”

Calvin chuckled. “I couldn't pass up the chance that this was going to give me, could I?”

“Of course you couldn't.” Deanna said and stepped close to give him a one arm hug around the waist, then let him go. “Are you going to show off what they can do, now that they've cleaned the place up?”

Everyone looked around and the shuttlebay was cleared up. Even the damaged power converters were gone, as were the cables attached to them.

“Make me a standard work table and add the tools you found to the top, please.” Calvin said.

Kay One made the legs and used tractor beams to hold them in place as Kay Two made the tabletop to set on the legs. A few moments later, all of the loose tools they had forgotten to gather up or had been blown away with the old work table, appeared there.

“I think I love you.” Sarah said as she looked at the two extruders. “Cal, would you mind if...”

“I think a little demonstration is in order.” Calvin said. “Kay One? Make me a main structural support for the Enterprise corridor. Kay Two, please assist.”

“Yes, Maker.” They said as one and Kay One started to produce a tritanium support beam that ran from the floor on one side, up and around the ceiling, and down to the floor again. Kay Two grabbed the end and floated out and around as Kay One produced the right shape. When it was done, they both used Tractor beams to stand it up.

“Good god.” Sarah whispered.

“It gets better.” Calvin said. “Recycle that support beam, please.”

Both extruders deployed focused plasma cutters and cut the support beam into pieces and used tractor beams to pull it into themselves to recycle the materials. It took the same amount of time to disassemble it as it did to make the thing in the first place.

“Cal? Do you understand what this means?” Sarah asked in a whisper.

“Even better than you do.” Calvin said. “Do you want to borrow them for...”

“YES!” Sarah yelled and walked over to them. “Kay One and Kay Two, follow me. Geordi, we have some work to do. Let's go!”

Geordi followed her and the two six foot tall and three foot wide and three foot long extruders out of the shuttlebay.

“I believe my report to Starfleet is going to surprise a few people.” Picard said and glanced around at the others. “Excuse me.”

“Captain.” Everyone said and watched as he left. As soon as the doors closed behind him, Calvin was mobbed and congratulated.

Deanna beamed a smile at him as her bonded tried to not bask in the praise. Imzadi, you are changing everything.

Calvin smiled and put an arm around her waist. I'm just getting started. He thought back to her and let her see a few of the ideas he would be able to accomplish, now that he had access to the extruders.

Oh. Oh, my. Deanna thought as a very distinct image appeared in her mind. You can't seriously think...

I believe it is possible. Calvin thought. I'll need Data's help... and a dedicated computer core... maybe two computer cores.

Deanna chuckled as he finally started to understand the enormity of his ideas.

We'll get there eventually. Calvin thought and engaged his friends in talking about what they could do with such versatile replicating extruders.

55