Chapter 56
1.7k 5 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jin’s POV
   As Jin had expected, Watanabe tries to bombard him with lots of questions the moment he arrives at the classroom.

   “Hold it.” he stops her when she was about to open her mouth.

   “What?”

   “I know you have lots of questions for me, but this really isn’t a good place to talk about it. Can we go to a secluded spot during lunch?”

   “But, lunch is a few hours away~!” she wails.

   He shrugs.

   “It’s either that, or you’re not getting anything out of me. I guess after school is fine too.”

   “But that’s even longer!”

   “That’s not my problem.”

   “...Fine, lunch time it is.” she grumbles. “You better not run away.”

   “Don’t worry. I definitely won’t.” he assures her.

   “Good. At least you’re better than someone here.”

   She glares at Ayumi who just arrived at the classroom. The latter just flinches and averts her eyes.

   “I think you should just give up and be honest, Ichihara.” Jin tells the onmyoji.

   She sighs.

   “I guess you’re right.”

   She looks at Watanabe.

   “Fine. I’ll tell you too, Anri.”

   “Finally!” Watanabe says excitedly.

   “I could never understand why you have to be curious about everything.” Jin says. “In lots of cases, people died because they stuck their nose into somewhere that doesn’t belong.”

   “You might be think it’s fine to be ignorant, but not me. I prefer to find out about every single truth out there!”

   “And boy oh boy did I had a field trip when I had to get you out of trouble.” Wakaba mumbles.

   Jin pats her shoulder to show his condolence.

   When it’s time for homeroom, an announcement were given through the speakers placed at the front right corner of the classroom.

   “All students, please head over to the assembly hall for a general meeting right now.” the person making the announcement says. “I repeat. All students, please head over to the assembly hall for a general meeting right now.”

   Jin is very glad for the general meeting, since the class after homeroom for today is Maths, and he simply hates having Maths. With any luck, the meeting will last until the class is over. Meanwhile, the students around him are discussing about the meeting as they get ready to head down.

   “What do you think the meeting might be about?”

   “The disappearance of some of the students in this school, maybe?”

   “Oh yeah, we had those. I didn’t remember since I don’t know any of them.”

   “Nah, I’d say it’s about those shady men who appears out of nowhere and hands you a syringe that gives you awesome powers.”

   That makes Jin’s ears perk up.

   “Speaking of that, one of my cousin was actually offered one of those. He refused to take it, though.”

   “What a way to waste an opportunity. If it were me, I would definitely take it.”

   “Don’t even joke about that! Who knows what kind of things the content will do to you!” Wakaba chides the student who said that.

   “Don’t worry, Wakaba. I’m just kidding.”

   “You better be if you know what’s good for you.”

   Class 2-2 is one of the earliest class to arrive at the assembly hall. The members of the Student Council are already there. Jin tries not to glare at the secretary, whose name he still doesn’t know and punished him unfairly in the past.

   The meeting won’t begin until the rest of the school come down, so Jin made himself comfortable and closes his eyes to take a small nap. He then feels someone poke his back. He turns around and sees Watanabe with a phone on her other hand.

   “Read the message.” she tells him.

   He takes the phone and do as she says. There are two messages written on the phone, both of them from her.

   “This is a great chance for us to talk, so let’s not waste it!”

   Jin rolls his eyes. So much for his plan on taking a nap. He reads the next one.

   “You know, now that I know that you’re Silver Wolf, a lot of things make sense. Like how you’re able to afford better lunch, and being able to move to a better apartment.”

   So someone did notice. Jin is just glad that it was Watanabe, who surprisingly didn’t ask any questions. If there were others, they didn’t come to bug him.

   “Better lunch aside, how did you know that I moved to a better apartment? For all you know, I had been living there all this while.” he types before passing the phone back to her.

   A few seconds later, the phone came back to him.

   “For one thing, you look happier and less grumpy ever since you moved. Besides, I did an investigation for the fun of it.”

   “Remember what I told you just now?”

   “Yes, I remember. Don’t you worry, I won’t conduct investigation about something that might cause me harm. Enough about me. Esty-chan told me that Nyri-san is a dragon. Is it true?”

   “Sure is.”

   “So she’s not your cousin. And yet she’s living with you.”

   Somehow, Jin could feel her disapproval as he’s reading the second sentence.

   “Look, I’m not doing anything indecent with her, okay?”

   “You better not, or I’ll report it to Esty-chan.”

   For the next few minutes, this exchange went back and forth until everyone is finally inside the assembly hall. Once they’ve settled down, the secretary walks to the podium and turns on the microphone to address them.

   “Good morning, students. I am the Secretary of the Student Council, Date Tomomi.” she begins.

   No. Freaking. Way. Then again, it might be a coincidence, although the family name of Date isn’t that common around Japan.

   “All of you might have heard that there are some students who went missing lately. I assure you that there’s nothing to be worried about. In fact, they’re most probably involved in some illicit activities. If they were ever found, they would be punished severely.” she continues. “In our next agenda, I have received reports that some suspicious people are loitering around and giving out shady-looking syringes that promises fictional power. Please don’t be a fool and accept them. If you’re caught, you shall be punished.”

   “And there she goes again, Miss-I-love-to-punish-everyone.” Jin hears someone murmurs darkly.

   The reason Jin never knew about Date Jr’s (he refuses to call her with her given name) real name until now is that no one at school has ever used it. Every time he heard her being mentioned, they just called her “the Secretary”. And nothing good was ever said about her, with good reasons. As seen just now, she just loves to assume the worst of people. Someone went missing? They’re skipping out on school to do something bad. Can’t afford a new set of uniforms? You must be spending your money on harmful products.

   To put it shortly, she’s a real piece of work who has no sympathy and refuse to let smaller things go. Instead of solving problems and be helpful like student council member should do, her idea of “helping” is being rigid as a brick. If someone ever makes a “The most hated student in school” list, she would most probably be at the very top.

   Her lecture went on for more than an hour. Jin could summarize everything she said to “Do something bad and you’ll be punished”. Watanabe has paused the message conversation since it would be bad if Date Jr spotted her and confiscates her phone.

   Suddenly, Jin notices from the corner of his eyes that a male student stands up from where he’s sitting and rushes towards the exit. He’s clutching his stomach with both his hands, and he looks like he’s in a great pain.

   “Please sit down, student. I’m not done with my speech yet.” Date Jr. Tells the student sternly.

   Naturally, he didn’t listen and left the assembly hall in a hurry. Date Jr. sighs. She’s probably vexed that she has to take care of another disciplinary case.

   In the end, her lecture lasted for three whole hours. She was planning to go on for much longer, but a teacher stepped in and told her to call it a day. Reluctantly, Date Jr. Declared that this “meeting” is over. Even before leaving, she told everyone to leave quietly or she’ll asks them to write a reflection essay.

   “Ow ow ow. I can barely feel my feet after sitting down for so long.” Jin hears Estyshana grumbling somewhere at the back.

   “At least we missed some of the classes.” Watanabe says.

   “I guess that makes the pain worth it.”

   “I just hope that the student who walked out just now is fine.” Wakaba asks out of concern.

   Jin snorts. “Even if he is, our Secretary-san will make sure that he suffers through other means. Like writing a reflection essay.”

   He sees some students walking out of the hall in a hurry. They’re probably the male student’s classmates/friends who want to check on him.

   Not long after Jin has returned to the classroom, he hears the siren sound of an ambulance. Well that can’t be good. Then again, it has nothing to do with him.

   Since the lecture took eternity, there was only an hour of class until it’s time for lunch. As promised, Jin and Ayumi answered everything that Watanabe wants to know while they’re eating their lunch at a secluded spot right next to the gymnasium. Wakaba and Estyshana followed along as well. Right before they begin, Jin cast Silent Bubble around them as an extra precaution to prevent eavesdropper from listening in. By the time they’re done, Watanabe has the look of someone who has a major headache.

   “So, much, information.” she mumbles as she’s clutching her head.

   “You were the one who wanted to know.” Jin reminds her.

   “I know, I know. I just wasn’t prepared for so many things.”

   “Well, that’s all I have to say. I’m sorry for keeping them a secret.” Ayumi says apologetically.

   Watanabe shakes her head.

   “It’s fine, Ayumi. I’m sorry for constantly forcing you to tell the truth.”

   “Hey, what about me? Don’t you owe me an apology for forcing me to tell you the truth?” Jin demands.

   Watanabe ignores him.

   It was at this moment when the bell which signifies the end of lunch hour rings. They had been talking so much they’ve forgotten the time.

   And then, another announcement.

   “All students, please head over to the assembly hall for a general meeting right now. I repeat...”

   Jin furrows his eyebrows.

   “Again?”

   “Hey, at least we get to skip classes again.” Watanabe tells him.

   “I’m starting to think that it’s not worth it.”

   And so, they had to gather at the assembly hall for a second time in a row in a single day. Once again, it’s Date Jr. who’s giving the speech.

   “Good afternoon, students. My apologies for summoning all of you here for a second time in the matter of hours, but this simply could not wait. As some of you may already know, a student was rushed to the hospital just now. That student, whose name is Isobe Manabu, will be punished severely for leaving the meeting just now and-”

   “Punishment, punishment, punishment! Is that all you could think of?”

   Jin and the other students look towards the direction of the voice. Jin recognizes the person as one of the student who rushed out in a hurry to check on Isobe.

   “What’s wrong with you? Poor Manabu was hospitalized, for crying out loud!” the student shouts angrily.

   “Yeah, have you no soul?” another student joins in.

   And with that, majority of the students in the hall are booing or thrash-talking Date Jr.. Jin finds it nice to see that someone other than him is being hated this much.

   “Please calm down, everyone. What happened to Isobe-kun was indeed unfortunate. However, he still broke the school rules. Hospitalized or no, he should not be exempted from being punished.” the secretary tells them calmly.

   “Well, by that logic, you should have been in jail for what you did last year!” someone shouts.

   The entire hall goes quiet all at once. Oh, boy. That student has done it now.

   Date Jr. Is far from calm after hearing that. In fact, she’s so upset she’s frothing at her mouth.

   “YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW!” she shrieks like a banshee.

   “Being hit a nerve, have we?” the student mocks.

   “SHUT UP! SHUT UP!”

   “What a hypocrite! She would never shut up about rules and disciplines, and yet she wasn’t punished when she herself broke the law! I guess the upper class follows a different set of rules than the rest of us!”

   “Do us a favor and get arrested already!”

   “Yeah, for real! The least you could do is be a role model for us!”

   Naturally, things got very chaotic. Several teachers had to come in and take control of the situation. To be honest, it’s kind of a miracle that a fight didn’t broke out.

   “Students, please go back to your respective classrooms right now.” a teacher stands on the podium and speaks over the microphone once the students have calmed down.

   Aww, the meeting is over already? A shame, for they barely wasted any time here.

   “That was really nerve-wrecking.” Wakaba notes while on their way back.

   “No kidding. I can’t believe that someone would actually dare to bring up the Secretary’s past like that.” Watanabe agrees.

   “What exactly happened last year?” Estyshana asks curiously.

   “Oh, right. You only transferred here this year. Well, I could tell you, but, um…”

   She looks at the others hesitantly.

   “Don’t do it. At least, not while we’re in this school. It’s too risky.” Jin warns her.

   Wakaba and Ayumi nod their head in agreement vigorously.

   “Right. I’ll tell you after school’s over, Esty-chan.”

   “Aww. I have to wait?”

   “It can’t be helped, okay? It’s kind of a sensitive topic in this school.”

   “It better be worth the wait, Anri!”

   “Don’t you worry, it totally is.” Watanabe promises.

   Suddenly, Jin’s phone rings. It’s Sergeant Wakaba.

   “Is something wrong, Minase-kun?” Watanabe asks.

   “Work.” he answers in a simple way.

   “...Ah. Do you want me to make up a random excuse to tell the teacher?”

   “It’s fine. I can split myself up if the job isn’t that serious.”

   “Wait. You can do that? You’re like a ninja!”

   “Yes, I know. Now if you’ll excuse me. I have a phone call to take. You girls head back to the classroom first.”

   After going to a quiet spot and making sure that no one saw him going there, only then he picks up the phone.

   “Good afternoon, Minase-kun. Is it possible for you to come to the Honjou Hospital right now?” Sergeant Wakaba asks him.

   “Is this about Isobe Manabu?”

   “Yes.”

   “And he injected himself with the mystery syringe.” Jin guesses.

   “I’m glad that you’re quick on the uptake.”

   “Has he exploded just like those kidnappers did?”

   “Fortunately, no. However, he did convulse violently a few minutes ago. The doctor had to sedate him.”

   “Well, I’ll come over right now and see what I can do. Where’s his room?”

   “Room 4-59.”

   “Understood.”

   Once the call is over, Jin heads back to the classroom. Thankfully, the teacher isn’t here yet. Watanabe looks at him curiously. He stares back and puts his left index finger in front of his lips. Meanwhile, the clone is flying towards the hospital.

   The hospital room wasn’t hard to find at all. All Jin did was steering his clone to the receptionist and demanded the direction to Room 4-59. The nurse who was sitting behind the reception counter was kind enough to guide him personally. He definitely did not make the clone bring out Felfarthen and controls it to twirl the sword around its finger.

   Sergeant Wakaba is waiting patiently outside the room for his arrival. Wordlessly, she opens to door and gestures the clone to go in. Jin didn’t know what to expect, but he certainly wasn’t expecting Isobe with a really bloated stomach that’s pulsing like it has a life of its own. A man and a woman, whom Jin assumes are Isobe’s parents, stood up from their chairs the moment they saw the clone.

   “Please, you have to save him!” the mother begs with a tear-streaked face.

   “Did the doctor gave any diagnosis?” he asks them.

   “After scanning the stomach, he said that Manabu has lots of undigested food stored inside it.” the father replies.

   “Why didn’t he just remove all the food with a surgery?”

   “Well-”

   Suddenly, Isobe’s stomach returned back to normal. A few seconds later, it becomes bloated again.

   “...What was that?”

   “That’s exactly why. When the doctor was making the scan, the food disappeared for a few seconds, only to return again.”

   “Hmm…”

   Jin activates the Eye of Truth and stares at Isobe’s stomach. Again, what he saw was completely unexpected.

   As he watches, a black hole made of mana appears inside his stomach and consumes all the food. It disappeared for a few seconds before appearing again and spitting out all the food.

   A Vault. Isobe’s stomach has turned into a Vault that he has no control over.

   Jin waits until the hole spits out the food again before touching the bloated stomach. He then channels his mana and uses it to forcefully shuts down the Vault. Thankfully, it worked. Just to make sure, he waited a one whole minute. The black hole no longer appeared. He makes the clone retracts its hand and presses the call button right next to the bed.

   “The food has stop disappearing and appearing again and can be removed surgically.” he tells the parents.

   The two of them collectively let out a sigh of relief.

   “Thank you so much, Silve Wolf-san! Thank you so much!” the mother keeps on telling him.

   “Rather than thanking me, you should spend more time with your son so that he doesn’t lose easily to temptation again.”

   The two of them lowers their head in shame.

   “It’s true that we had been neglecting him lately since money was tight.” the father confesses.

   “The silly boy even said that he wished he can make the food he ate appear and disappeared at will so that he doesn’t have to starve.” the mother says.

   “...Did he now? Well, just take care of him once he’s recovered.”

   “We most definitely will. Once again, thank you for your help.”

   Soon, a doctor and a nurse arrives to answer the call. Jin explained the situation to them, and the doctor promises to handle the situation from here on. Jin then makes the clone leaves the room while following behind Sergeant Wakaba.

   “First the kidnappers, now him. This is getting more and more troublesome.” he mumbles.

   “I’m afraid things will become worse as the time goes by. Not until we caught the ones responsible for handing out the syringes.”

   This is real strange. Ayumi has assured that there are shikigamis watching over the city, and still no one suspicious was detected. It’s like they know that they’re being watched, and know precisely on how to evade the watchful eyes of the onmyojis…

54