Family Blood
347 3 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 18

 

 

D-Day

 

*Zzzt* Teams. Submit your papers…

… …

… …

For the Carbonara Alliance

Worker: Quant Blitz

King: Lero-Ro

 

… …

… …

For Team Hoaquin

Worker: Stella

King: Hoaquin

 

 

Good Luck Regulars

On My Mark…Begin! *Zzzt*

 

 

The reserves were stuck in a different waiting room with a large screen that was live-streaming all that was happening on the field. For the carbonara Alliance, their representatives (King and Worker) Lero-Ro and Quant were already rushing about. 

 

“You think they’ll be alright?” Sachi, the sorcerer with red hair, asked.

 

“I have faith” Pandora replied “Besides, the slayer candidate from the other team didn’t seem to be the thinking type either.” She yawned involuntarily as she got ready to wait for hours if need be. “Why Hoaquin wears a crown when he is incapable of such things I would never know.”

 

 

… …

 

Quant Blitz, the Worker

 

 

Fitting the motive of a ‘futuristic train’ - however much of an understatement that was - the castle was designed like a floating castle complete with engines, navigational charts, and all the small luxuries and necessities within.

 

And there were…so many missions! Some simple and sort while others would require his full attention (although they were worth the most gold). 

 

“Well fuck it” He sent out his scouter to explore and map the full length of the castle as he ran towards the other end. He would waste no time in completing these missions. His team trusted him to do better than the other team…he would prove himself here and now.

 

(AN: A scouter is a small construct (often floating or invisible) which scouters often use to help them gather information. It is capable of calculating many things, sending information, and small helping functions directly to the scout)

 

Align Engine Output - Done

Align Telescope - Done

Assemble Artifact -Done

Buy Beverage - Done …why was this a mission?

Calibrate distributor - Done

Clean filter - Done

Clean toilet - Done *dry hurl* …someone didn’t flush

Divert Power - Done

Dress Mannequin - Done. The Mannequin looked annoyingly like a specific black haired, loud mouthed, princess who loved to throw punches

Empty Garbage - Done …he had too much experience with being the one to take out the garbage unfortunately

Enter Code - Done

Fix Weather Node - Done

Fuel Engines - Done

Insert Keys - Done. The keys were found and delivered by the scouter in time

Make Carbonara …?! - Done …he would have to thank Syrup for giving her recipe. Apparently cooking the meal to ‘perfection’ gave double the gold. 

Activate Shields - Done, hopefully this would help Lero

 

He would continuously run around completing each mission to the best of his ability with efficiency…now it was all up to Lero and his team.

 

“…I’m trusting you!” 

 

 

… …

 

Lero-Ro, The King

 

 

He was given consoles and tablets (castle imbedded lighthouses) which was showing the live feed from all angles from his own castle all the way to the Slayer Candidate’s. In addition on another screen showed Quant working tirelessly…cooking up Carbonara…?!

 

Now’s not the time for that Quan—oh wait, the gold count just went up, significantly too. Pandora, what have you done to this Hell Train…

 

As it was still early on, neither him nor his enemy had summoned any of the reserves to fight.

 

For cheap pocket gold he was able to summon mindless monsters from the Hell Train itself which would immediately go and attack the other castle. For a bit more he would be able to summon Divine Sea Fishes but those wouldn’t do anything.

 

In a way he was at a disadvantage here due to the small number of teammates he had. The real and only way they had any hopes of winning was summoning either Yuri and/or Pandora…whom both cost more than anything he could see available for purchase combined.

 

No matter who he summoned or how many, they would eventually be stopped by the opposing ‘King’ Hoaquin and thus the throne would be safe. He guessed that the only ones capable of putting up a fight against a monster to hold the position of ‘Slayer Candidate’ would be the other monsters of the tower - Princesses of Jahad.

 

200 million gold for each of them…I’ve currently got 48 million and climbing…slowly. Is Quant tiring? Or is he unable to find high value missions?

 

Doesn’t matter

 

Lero Ro, a strategist at heart, self proclaimed genius, already had a layout on how to win this battle. 

 

It was obvious he wasn’t going to win this by sending numbers over to the other side…no…he was going to have to settle in for the long run. Shock and Awe would not work in the front of such a powerful foe…Stalingrad his father would say. The great war which showed the power of enduring until Winter arrived…

 

His winter were the Princesses.

 

*ding* Enemy Monsters have spawned

 

His map showed 20 low difficulty monsters charging mindlessly towards his castle. At such a weak initial attempt, even ignoring the fact that he currently he had no defenses at the moment, he could only laugh. For once, forgetting the perilous situation they were in…facing a Slayer Candidate.

 

“As my wise father would say…” Lero’s finger hovered over the purchase button for a specific 30 Million Gold figure. “GIT GUD!” *press*

 

*ding* You have summoned Aka Williams for 30 Million Gold

 

“Go and defend big boy!”

 

He had read up carefully on all his new teammates during the time they were together. As they were normal regulars in the grand scheme of things, they had made a name for themselves among the D-ranks.  Big names…especially through their journeys throughout the Hell Train over the centuries.

 

It was through this available information that Lero had chosen Aka Williams as the first card, the ultimate defense.

 

Aka, for short, was extremely large for a human. Standing easily twice his size ( around 4m tall) and easily three times as wide, the man was more Divine Bear than human from the view. What made him stand out as human amongst bears, however, was his fashion.

 

His original long dark red hair was dyed (or bleached) bright yellow, lips painted full with red lipstick, and his sense of trench coats with too many pockets.

 

All that, however, wasn’t important to Lero. What did catch his eye was his position in the tower. Unlike most regulars who adopted the norm and ended up as one of the five main positions- Wave controller, Spear Bearer, Fisherman, Scout, Light Bearer- Aka had chosen to take on the unique position as a defender.

 

Defenders are a rare position in the tower which specialized in exactly what the name suggests, they defended. Mostly in charge of protecting those most vulnerable in combat- the Spear Bearers and the Light Bearers- defenders have a reputation of being extremely hard to beat down and more importantly hard to get through.

 

Aka’s shinsu control utilizing combustive fire apparently allowed him to not only shrug off attacks but dispel them away from him. It seems he would get his chance.

 

“Aka, I need you to earn at least 20 minutes…if you can, kill as many of the monsters as possible. It seems that the other team didn’t get the message that they’re practically free gold.”

 

For his words of wisdom, he only got one back from the yellow giant.

 

Roger

 

 

… …

 

POV Aka William,  a.k.a Sir Aka

 

 

Standing in front of the castle’s gate he held true to his purpose in the team, defend.

 

“Combustion”

 

His ultimate defense, his very own form of shinsu control. Over the centuries he had perfected this skill against all forms of creatures, monsters, and adversaries the Hell Train had saw fit to throw against him.  Each time his barrier held, each time their attacks failed. 

 

He was Aka Williams of Team Aka, revered among many as Sir Aka. He would not fail today…not when his team, once again, faced great danger within the Hell Train.

 

Even amongst a life threatening danger, he could not help but smile at the memory. Memories of his team, the very same, meeting for the very first time as enemies, survivors, on the Hell Train. The only survivors.

 

They had left on sour terms only to meet again on the next cycle of the Hell Train…and the next…and the next. Without making it official they had become a team, a great team, and made their names known across the floors among D-rank Regulars as Veterans of Hell. 

 

Veterans of Hell…he liked that title, it had a nice ring to it. But a veteran could only remain a veteran and not a martyr if he survived, didn’t he?

 

He would survive…as would his team and the new alliance as they’ve always had. Of this, he had no doubt.

 

 

… …

 

POV Roen

 

She was summoned to the battlefield shortly after Aka to support him in defending the castle. As a defensive field-type Light Bearer, it was in her expertise to be in the heart of battle with a lighthouse; something that was not commonly shared among light bearers.

 

“Aka! Three more coming from your right! Regulars”

 

“Roger”

 

“Trapping them now. Shinsu Light House Freeze!

 

The three regulars who were charging blindly were frozen in a light blue light, unable to move a finger, as Aka approached them slowly. As he brought down his burning fist upon each of their heads, they were dead before the shinsu effect was over.

 

“How much more Lero?” Aka asked

 

“*bzzt* Still a bit more. I need you to hold out as much as possible *bzzt*”

 

“That does not comfort me” Aka sighed before he turned to her. “Just like the old days, isn’t that right Roen?”

 

She smiled right back at her best friend. “Rightly so!”

 

Her lighthouse turned red as it scanned dozens of incoming hostiles. Regulars, monsters, some even named regulars from the hundreds they had available.

 

“Lero, are you seeing this?” She asked

 

“I’m getting the feed. This must be their all out push. They’ve got to be low on gold after this. Hold out this one and we’ll begin our counter attack.” Lero replied

 

 

… …

 

POV Lero Ro

 

 

The duo, Aka and Roen, were doing much better than he had previously expected. He had thought that he would need to summon in a third party member for them to effectively defend the entire castle but thankfully he was wrong in his assumption.

 

Aka and Roen bunkered down on the front gates and effectively neutralized the waves of enemies the enemy king, Hoaquin, sent at them.

 

Hoaquin, while obviously strong (assumably), was not a strategist at all. He must have known that numbers would not cut down a strong warrior as he is one himself and yet, with his lacking patience, he chose to continuously send weak troops over and over. Continuously feeding my team the gold we desperately need.

 

The gold count was nearly there as the clock went into 12 hours since the games began.

 

Aka wasn’t cheap and Roen was not an easy card to pull out either, but now the investment had paid off. The gold was there.

 

*ding* You have summoned Ha Yuri Jahad for 200 Million Gold

*ding* You have summoned Arie Aria Pandora Jahad for 200 Million Gold

 

He took his hands off the panel as the gold hit zero. Nearly all the missions available in the castle were done. Hoaquin barely had any enemies left to send as he too must be low on gold. 

 

Frankly, his part of the game was done. It was up to his team now. He sat back on his throne as he turned off the purchase-and-mission monitors. He laid back as he watched the two princesses get summoned onto the battlefield.

 

“It’s all up to you girls now.”

 

 

… …

 

POV Hoaquin, the Slayer Candidate of FUG.

 

 

Ever since his reawakening he was feeling fowl…weak.

 

This entire game was child’s play. His powers like an infant. He was…weak once again. He was less.

 

Hoaquin…He scowled at the name he was forced to take once again. The name he had cast away when they became one. When many became one for form…him. His true name…the name that the tower had come to learn and fear.

 

And where was he now? After his first ever defeat…he was forced to become a shell of his former self, split into many parts…weakening day after day while hoping to find the scraps of power he had dropped so that he may once again become him once again.

 

In an ironic sort of way, he was thankful to his new prison, the Hell Train. He was killed and yet he lived. Broken, shattered, weakened, but still alive…60,000 souls, sixty thousand lives, had been poured into the ritual of immortality. He would give it a 5/10 for its ability to keep him alive in one form or another.

 

Focus and Win. Grab the blade once again and reach greater heights

 

The game he was forced to play was intriguing unlike all the other things he had seen thus far in this train. Or rather, it was the girl who had piqued his interests.  A girl worthy of the power he had…someone just like him.

 

Oh yes, he knew. He knew very well when someone had sacrificed their humanity for power…after all, wasn’t that the very essence of who he was?

 

He wanted to see her, talk to her, touch her…devour her. What would her soul taste like? A soul belonging to someone just like him?

 

So he baited her out. As a King, a false title from a lowly game unable to match his divine aura, he lured the enemy to bring forth the one he wanted. He could have waited and brought out his more powerful cards, his trustworthy servants…but no. He wanted to see her for himself.

 

He sent forth his weakest subjects in great numbers as they racked up the gold in their blind stupor. They summoned two inferior creatures that he couldn’t give two glances at but finally…finally she was summoned. At long last.

 

*ding* Enemy has summoned Arie Aria Pandora Jahad 

 

A princess?

 

He hated princesses…he had a unique history with them. A history of bad blood with the Royal family…as well as his own.

 

It seemed like only moments later when the castle doors were blasted off and the Throne Hall was raided by two girls. One of whom, the black haired one, promptly left after a short talk with the one who had his interests.

 

“His Majesty congratulates you on making it this far” He sneered at his kin. “His Majesty thanks you for coming all this way…ahh, you smell delicious. Tainted of the dead souls of untold billions.”

 

To his appreciation and pleasant surprise, the girl did nothing to hide her blackened soul. If anything, she held it out uncaring of it whatsoever.

 

“I could say the same to you, though you don’t really smell appetizing. How long has it been since you took a shower?” She replied sarcastically. 

 

“My dear Pandora…why don’t you and his Majesty drop all the pleasantries? After all…aren’t we one of the same kind?” He smiled, truly. “In the long eons his Majesty have lived, His Majesty did not think he would meet his own kind. Tell me Pandora, how many have you killed? How many have you bled dry for power?”

 

“Killed? Countless. For power? Few”

 

“My dear…don’t lie to his Majesty. His Majesty can smell the stench of death on you…it is…unmistakable. You have slain as his majesty has did for power. For thine blade to reach greater heights and sharpness. Is it not true?” He tested her with his words.

 

“Do you know…why his majesty is here” He didn’t give her the time to answer as he continued “Why his majesty have killed so many?”

 

He whispered “To surpass father. To slay him with this blade. To cut down His Majesty’s creator.”

 

His words had a shock effect on the girl who previously stood stoic and uncaring. Rage, anger, and shock was visible, plain as day, on her face as she struggled to keep her composure. Her hand shook slightly, her brows twitched, her lower lips bitten to keep from shuddering, her forehead strained from the anger.

 

What was it that angered her so?

 

“You…” she slowly said, pronouncing each syllable clearly. “You are nothing like me” She snarled at him. “You know nothing

 

He smiled triumphantly before sharing his opinion.  “Oh, but his Majesty does know. He knows the lust of power, the satisfying taste of the souls. The desire the kill and maim…his Majesty knows the demon within you

 

He slowly lifted himself off of his throne as he stepped down the stairs and towards the Princess of Jahad.

 

“His Majesty knows the effort it takes to raise civilizations” He shook his head “His Majesty knows the cost of family, the and loss it makes” His lips curled up into a predatory smile “His majesty knows the taste of devouring billions from the civilization his Majesty uplifted” His smile, now, was in full bloom. “His Majesty know the taste of his brothers and sisters in which many became one

 

He had to keep himself from laughing maniacally as he reveled in the old memories. “His Majesty is well aware of the responsibilities of a god…as the Tenth Slayer of FUG” The face of the princess changed into one of confusion.

 

“Oh yes…Slayer, not Slayer Candidate. The killings, the reapings, the harvest of souls…it was all done in MY name! WHITE!”

 

He was White. The Legendary Slayer White. The blade that will one day bring down his own father. The kin-slayer, the Demon King. The Soul Reaper…he was White. When the five became one, he was the one in control…it was him who had been sitting in the seat of power.

 

Becoming a ranker, joining FUG, becoming a Slayer, slaying billions. It was all done in his name. 

 

WHITE.

 

“Now his Majesty shall devour your soul. From the power within his Majesty from the very beginning…when the five became one.” He still needed to find three of them. Where could they be on this small train. 

 

“The Spell of Soul-Eating…the power given to his Majesty by the Ancient Demon of the Tower. You shall become part of his Majesty…feel honored little mortal.”

 

Perhaps he had expected the princess to become frightened, fight back, or at least seem impressed but the expression on her face said nothing but disappointment.

 

“Only one demon?” She said flatly.

 

AN: Comments and reviews are love! I already feel sad enough that Tower of God fanfics are unpopular as they are~

17