Chapter 76: A Little Damage.
103 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 76. A little damage.

The powerful explosion has devastated a large patch of forest land but despite this damage, there are still a handful of surviving mutated creatures that manage to escape the explosion.

In fact, while searching for Hubert's trace some of them have a close encounter with an incomplete body of mutated creatures that is still alive and persistent to attack them.

Luckily there are only a few cases of them so they managed to solve them easily. And it seems like they have almost cleared up most of the mutated creatures around their city.

This findings would greatly help them settle down for the coming days.

This should make their situation a little better for several weeks or months as they can take this free time to rest and to fully recover from their injuries.

Although they still do not remove the possibility of another wave coming in but the chances of this happening is already low.

Since they have already cleared up the surrounding monster on their territory making it quite safe for a while.

Just for a while.

Because they know that as long as this tiny parasites in the fog still exist the number of mutated creatures would to increase. Since this is the sole reason for the mutation of those animals and humans transforming them into a mutated monsters.

In their current location if you take a look around the surroundings you can barely see anything that is still alive.

As the powerful explosion have already torched everything into charcoal clearing up all the filth on this huge portion of land.

That includes all the mutated creatures around the place and even the fog has been banished because of the intense heat. This gives them the chance to temporarily see everything clearly. Their current position is already far from their patrolling zone and the monster they encountered while searching for Hubert can be counted on one hand.

And all of them are already severely wounded by the resulting explosion. This is a piece of good news for all the people in the city.

As they can finally sleep without any worries about another invasion happening. And now that the monster wave has ended, all of them have to face a new challenge. And that is how to recover and repair all the things that were lost or damaged.

The number of houses that were destroyed in this fight is unknown but one thing is for sure, and that is a lot of people would be temporarily displaced for a while. As they all need to wait for a new building to be constructed.

In order to do this, they need to organize all the people in the underground shelter to help rebuild everything that was destroyed in the fight. Since the underground shelter is not a place that is desirable for long-term living.

Hubert believes that as long as they have these people they can quickly recover all their losses.

And as they made their trek back home, all of a sudden Hubert heard Michael ask a question. Finally breaking the short silence that envelop their group after they gave him a warm hug.

Hubert heard him asked on what they gonna do now after this fiasco.

Indeed, it's also the same question that Hubert wanted to answer.

After all, they just experienced their most torturous battle after enjoying a decade of peace.

It also didn't help that losing this battle means the end for all of them. So now everyone is on high alert constantly monitoring everything around their city.

Since Florentine city is their only haven left as it's the last remaining place safe from the parasitic fog. So it's a great thing that they won this battle.

---_--_--_-_-_-_-_-_-__-_-_-

Going back to Michael's question on what are they gonna do now.

Hubert doesn't really know where to start.

Because when he finally saw the city half of it is already in ruin.

"Is this what you called safe? Really? Does the city looks ok to you?" Hubert asks in a satirical manner.

"It does look a little damage but at least the city is safe." Lucas immediately replied as he was the only one who have the guts to do it.

But even so, Many of them felt ashamed because they clearly promised to him that they won't let a single monster step inside their city but they failed.

They just didn't let a single monster inside their city but hundreds of them.

Even Lucas knows how dangerous that battle is. They almost lose their home to those monsters, and Hubert understands clearly how difficult this battle is.

After all, it's not easy to protect an entire city from the siege of a thousand creatures.

"A little?....." Hubert muttered before stopping for a while.

As it takes him some time to process everything.

Finally, with one huge breath of relief, Hubert continued talking as he was already powerless to change anything.

"Well...... with how strong some of those monsters are, I think this is indeed just a little damage if we will compared it to that explosion earlier." Hubert calmly said as even he was expecting for the worst.

Because even him has experienced hard times in killing those monsters.

Dealing with those 3 unique creatures hasn't been easy for Hubert at all, as it took him a while before he was able to defeat all of them. In exchange of using his power at the maximum making him almost lose his control.

That's why on their way back home Hubert is already thinking a lot of things on how to manage a destroyed city.

But when he finally gets a good look at their city he got the surprise of his life as he saw the whole city intact, even though a lot of buildings have been destroyed or damaged by the battle most of their people are still alive and safe underground.

Hubert knows that buildings can be replaced but not the lives of the people.

Thanks to Lucas idea of constructing multiple underground shelters they managed to avoid having a huge number of casualties on their part.

It's also because of this reason that they were able to keep their city under their control. Because their soldiers don't need to worry about their family and friends as they all know they were safe underground.

Without the need to worry for the safety of their loved one's their soldier and knights can focus their minds on protecting the city from the invasion of this mutated creatures.

Hubert can't even imagine what would happen to them without this underground shelter.

Without those emergency shelter, Hubert knows that they might be able to win those battles but in exchange of a lot of lives. Which would be the end of their city.

But thankfully, it did not happen.

Because even though most of their residents are trained to fight, it doesn't mean that they could survive from the onslaught of this creatures.

After all, they aren't normal creatures because they are more stronger than they are supposed to be. A strange thing that Hubert noticed during his fight but decided to ignore it and attributed it all to the mutation.

And even if they insist on fighting, and they survive the ordeal, no normal human won't survives this attack without a scratch or wounds on his body.

And this means that the infection rate of parasites would climb up. This spells huge trouble for them because with their current stocks of antidote potions it would not be enough to support the whole city.

That's why Hubert strongly supported this project at first glance because he already anticipated that something like this would happen.

He foresaw that with how easy and fast this tiny parasites infect others. He finally realized that it would be hard to control them once they get inside the city.

This is the reason why Hubert prioritized building a safe zone for their people. So that they could go here in case the invasion happen.

And it did happen.

And because of this, they were able to save a lot of time and lives.

Because in this way, they only need to focus their defense on key areas such as the evacuation point. As it would be much easier to guard specific areas than to defend the entire city.

Since the entire city wall stretch from one mile to two. And guarding this long wall is pretty much impossible for their small number of soldiers and knights.

So after weighing the cons and pros Hubert quickly decided to hasten the completion of this project.

And with one last thought on his mind, Hubert finally decided the step he needed to take in order to move forward.

Before entering the city Hubert has once again taken one last glance at his back.

Remembering all the danger they experience in that fight against the invasion of mutated creatures.

Together with his son Lucas and 4 other Knights that fetched him from the blast zone Hubert finally announces his decision.

"The thing that we have to do now, is to make sure that the entire city is already cleared up from this mutated creatures. Before letting the people get back up here on the surface. We can't let anything get through because that would endanger them." Hubert explains towards them.

"I know you're all tired and you just wanna take a rest but it's still dark and this is the perfect time for those monsters to show up."

"That's why I will order all the abled soldiers and knights to hunt them down tonight, for we would start our clearing by tomorrow." Hubert announces loudly.

People immediately responded happily as they accepted his task.

Seeing the heated atmosphere Hugo finally takes his chance to announce another thing.

"I also would like to announce another thing... Tonight...., no one can sleep for we must remain on guard." Hugo added with a heavy tone as soldiers around him gave him some defeated look but nevertheless, none decided to decline.

~Sigh~ As Hugo releases a huge breath of air.

"I know we're all tired...... but it's necessary for us to do this in order to prevent any further harm. You can treat this like another training in the name of endurance." Hugo explains carefully before deciding to pull a simple joke at the end earning him some chuckles from some people including Hubert.

"Hahahaha!"

"That's a good mindset you have there." Hubert replied before lightly patting his back.

4