Chapter 9 – The Barghest’s Bargain
412 5 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was prepared for negotiating with a Shaman of the flint-tooth clan but before Me stood a barghest. His gaze was fixed on me. Yet his posture was not stiff. I stood fixed at my position.

“My name is Rylonvirah. I offer my greetings to you. Noble Flint-Tooth Chief and Shaman. Could we talk under better conditions, shaman?” I took the initiative.

The tribe chief ignored me and his piercing gaze was focused on Maapu while Maapu glared back. Surprisingly, the meek Theko came forward and stood close to Maapu.

The Barghest seemed to consider my request for a moment. Then he exchanged a glance with the tribe chief and spoke.

“You will not come further. We can talk in the glade. Come with me.” saying that, he ignored waiting for my reply and started walking.

Taltil tried to follow my path but a low growl from the barghest made his intentions clear. I turned to my three companions.

“Wait for me. Avoid fight. No fights,“ I repeated to reiterate my intention.

Taltil gave a nod. Theko will avoid confrontation but it is Maapu’s belligerence that worried me.

After giving them a knowing look, I fell behind the barghest.

 


 

If he were trying to assault me, he would have done it in the open. So at least for the moment, I should not fear any direct threat from the barghest.

The glade was just a small clearing covered with thick grass and mossy growth. The trees at the end of the clearing still provided enough shade and a pleasant cool breeze.

“What do you offer?” he asked directly.

“I offer your tribe my hand. Assistance in need of trouble.”

“No dark elf ever offers their friendship to goblins. Enslavement is what comes from mingling with dark elves. Why are you here?”

“I am not here to rule. I will not take your hunting grounds. I give my word as a....” I bit my tongue before I managed to complete the phrase.

“I am passing through. I need to rest for a while and then I will be gone. Your tribe knows the forest and I need a place to recuperate my vitality before I travel. Only a few days.”

Even though I am not sure how persistent Merrick can be. Or even how long the hunt will take place. But if I need to know Lyria’s whereabouts, catching Aram is my only option. The longer I wait, the farther he slips.

“Why rest in the forest? You could rest in human villages. I do not trust the words of a dark elf. You use words that are truth and lie. Your words mean black and white. You say the truth. I say not the full truth.”

“The benefit is yours. I stay for a few days and I leave. You do not have to worry about trolls. The forest is for the goblins.“

“The elves came and flint-tooth tribe ran and hid. Humans came and the tribe ran and hid. Trolls come and we run and hide. There is always an enemy. Maapu and Theko do not understand. It is their nature. They will harm the tribe. You came with them. But the tribe cannot take Maapu and Theko. They must leave and you will leave with them. “

I decided to change tactics.

“Surprising to hear a barghest talk about avoiding war. Aren’t your kind usually the ones to lead the assault on settlements? You are bidding your time. Waiting for your tribe to grow in strength. So why not take the help that is given. I ask nothing in return. Only a place to stay for a short while. “ I decided to push further.

“Even if you avoid fighting the trolls now, your tribe will grow. Either tomorrow or later, your tribe will come into conflict with the trolls. It is unavoidable. I can help you with your tribe’s future.”

His expressions turned feral. He bared his fangs and a low guttural growl issued from him.

“Lies and more lies. Dark elf games. You only want to enslave us. Why not rest in the human village? Why not offer to help them kill beasts and other humans? “

Sensing the change in the air, I took a defensive posture. My hands gripped on my dirk and the tuck. I restrained myself from drawing them out.

“Because I am being hunted. I cannot seek shelter with the humans. They are the ones who are hunting me. Let me stay with you for a few days. I will help you kill the trolls. I will take nothing from your tribe. Once I leave, you will not see me.”

“You will bring trouble to the tribe. Even if you do not harm tribe, those hunting you will destroy the tribe.”

“They will destroy the tribe even if you do not shelter me. They will enter the woods searching for me and will kill any goblin they come across.”

“You bring the enemy to the tribe and still say you mean no harm. I do not trust you. The tribe does not need you. “

“I stand by my word. No ill intentions on my part. In fact, will help the tribe survive the human hunters. With me by your side, your tribe will survive better. Do you see any other chance? Either stay with me and survive or we part ways and we all perish.”

“No Dark elf, you will sacrifice us to save yourself. You will use us against your enemies and throw us away like a broken doll.”

“I will not endanger the tribe.”

“Then prove it, Dark elf. Kill the trolls and we know to trust your words.”

So this is how you want to play. While the barghest thinks that he got the better end of the negotiation, little did he know he stuck the noose cord around his own neck. When I started the day, I planned on taking three trolls with a few hundred goblins. But featuring a barghest in the plan changes a lot.

“I will,” I replied with determination.

“So, where can I find these trolls?” I asked. If I were to slay their enemies, I would require them to at least provide basic information.

I hastily prepared myself to leave the glade. For what I had in mind, the isolated glade is not an ideal place.

“I hope, I can avail the liberty of taking Maapu, Theko and Taltil with me?” I enquired. Even though, I already knew the answer.

Without waiting for a reply, I exited the glade.

 


 

Back at the goblin village, I was contented to see my three underlings unarmed. Seeing my approach, the spear holding goblins began to stiffen. The presence of their Shaman who appeared shortly after calmed them.

“Theko, pack everything. We are leaving. It is time to slay the trolls.”

Taltil was back to attention. Maapu immediately took the opportunity to hop on to my side.

“I would still need a guide to take me to the troll lair. But I can understand, Shaman, if you are afraid to join. Taltil will lead the way. “ I said this with a reverberating and considerate tone but raised my voice enough to be heard by all the assembled goblins.

Now I have tightened the noose around his neck. He has two choices. Either join us and return as an audacious leader or deny and lose credibility. And if we return successfully after his refusal, his authority in his tribe will be undermined.

After a moment of respite, his voice sounded from the back.

“I will come with you.”

“We would be elated to have your company, exalted Shaman.” I welcomed him to our party.

“I am called Beld, Rylonvirah.” Finally, he gave me his name.

“Please, friends call me either Rylon or Vera. Either one is fine. We are among friends here.” I said, extending a congenial gesture.

My thoughts were filled with various schemes on how to use the barghest in the fight.

23