Chapter 109
1.5k 4 78
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I pressed Mera, the elf, for more information, "What does the sheathe look like? Describe every detail and any rumor relevant to it."

Her descriptions of that sheathe were vague at best. It was literally only seen once every few decades by the public, at least the real one. Moreover, since she was part of an external organization, the information she could gather was limited.

I didn't really pay attention to any weapons the Hero King had around him last time but there was nothing that matched the descriptions she provided. According to Mera, the sheathe was supposed to be metallic with twin dragons intertwined from the tip to the guard or something like that.

If I could remove these stupid blessings... Yeah, I don't think it's possible. I really hope they disappear soon.

"Anyway, thanks, Mera."

"So...?"

"Yes, I can probably do something about that demon there. I have a feeling I know who it is."

"Are we going now!? I'll get ready!"

"You don't have anything. Also, if you want me to help, we need a contract."

"What, what... Why!?" She shouted with frustration, "I gave you information... Please! We need help. We have no one else to turn to!"

"Let me explain. We who have evolved past a certain stage have restrictions on our actions. This include demons, guardians, and beings like me. Chatting and simple interactions on a small scale isn't any issue."

I actually finally understood the advantages of using contracts. With contracts, I could be freed of certain restrictions. Supposed if I was summoned as a familiar by whoever I contracted, by following strictly to the terms within the contract, even if I accidentally destroyed half a country, the system wouldn't limit my power. Of course, the summoner had to exchange something of equal value for my service.

I continued to explain, "The issue is if in a battle between superpowers, should there be mass casualties, my powers would likely be severely restricted. In that case, the battle would be lost for me. However, with a contract, by following the terms set in the contract, I could continue to fight until your enemy is eliminated or your order completed."

There was a moment of silence.

She murmured, "Oh, why didn't you say so? I would have agreed."

"I'll have a soul contract prepared. I'm sure you know what that means."

"Yes. I'm willing if it means liberating my country from demons."

"You're not afraid that I'm a demon?"

"No. I trust you."

"Fair enough. Let's set the terms of the contract, shall we?"

"Yes, let's do that."

I was not a guardian nor a demon. For me to take down an evil ruler, I would have to temporarily become a hero. The duration of the contract was limited, or rather, she was allowed to issue two specific commands to me.  If the command was not specific or outside my scope of operation, it would be  deemed invalid. Of course, if it was invalid or something I couldn't agree to, a charge wouldn't be used.

The reason for only have two valid commands was because I was afraid her soul energy wouldn't be enough to compensate for high caliber commands because the exchange was partially handled by the system. Though, as an elf, she had lived for centuries so she should have more than enough soul energy.

We worked out all the details, not allowing bits of vagueness to distort the original intent behind the contract. To ensure she wouldn't lose any memories and whatnot when summoning me or issuing commands, her existing mana pool was to be the first energy source to be use. Her abilities and traits would disappear next followed by memories.

How depressing... It's like you're dealing with the devil, exchanging your soul in the process. If I could, I'll help you without relying on the contract. 

My contract with De Planck was nothing of this sort. It was also, fortunately, thanks to my strawberries that I did not lose any precious memories. Though, the matter with Smoothie was completely different.

"Are you satisfied with all the terms?" I asked.

"Yes, I just need to sign it, right?"

"I have some other matters to attend to first. You can sign it once I return. I mean, I don't want you to summon me while I'm busy, you know?"

"Busy doing what?"

"Personal stuff, don't worry about it. While I'm away, can you keep Smoothie, my kid, company? She gets lonely easily."

"That little girl with green hair? I've spoken with her before..."

"Yep, she's my kid."

She sighed, "I'm being reduced to a babysitter?"

What were you before...? Huh? Did she make a friend?

I replied casually, more like a whisper between the two of us, "Hey, think of it as a favor! Or rather... I'm already offering a safe place, free food and drinks. I don't know anyone else who's as capable as me! Come on, I'll be more motivated to help you with your country if you help me. How about it?"

"Fine..."

I clasped my hands together and raised my voice, "Great! Now let's get the two of you fully acquainted! Smoothie, I know you're listening. Come out."

Seconds later, a glamorous young girl with mint green hair and two pairs of translucent wings slowly revealed herself in front of us.

I did leave her here for several days or perhaps weeks in the subspace because of the time difference. Whether her ability could detect the time flow difference, I didn't know. Still, passing time here must be quite boring. Even if she flew around, this area of the subspace was locked from both inside and outside. With lakes and hills, perhaps she could have tried swimming or hiking to pass time.

She whimpered, "I thought you abandoned me again..."

"I did not. I forgot to adjust the time flow in here, that's all."

"You aren't even going to apologize? Mother, you meanie!" She stomped her foot like she was throwing a tantrum.

What are you, a kid? Wait no, you are a kid... I think? Right, I need to ask her for a proper explanation.

"Smoothie, I found you a new friend. This is Mera. She said you two spoke before?"

"Nice to meet you. I'm Mera. Let's get along" She smiled warmly, though her words sounded a bit forced.

Ah, is this what it feels like to be an elementary school teacher?

Mera whispered into my ears, "Berry, is she really your kid? I mean..."

"Biologically, yes, kind of. Though, as you know, my race evolves differently depending on species." I whispered back.

"No! I don't want you! I want Mother to stay with me!" She shouted with a desperate glare.

Why are you such a brat all of a sudden!?

"Smoothie, if you want me to stay, I hope you're ready to explain to me everything you know. You understand what I mean, don't you?" My smile was a bit cranky this time around. I was rather bad dealing with children.

Her gaze unsteadied, her hands fidgeting, "Ehh... Umm..."

Mera, who couldn't read the mood, blurted out, "Hey, hey, hey, I shouldn't have to be part of this! I'm just an outsider!"

"Sorry about that." I apologized to Mera before briskly walking up to Smoothie and grabbed her hand, "Smoothie, you're coming to explain everything to me now or after I come back from work. Which is it?"

"Mother... Please, no! Not yet!" She tried to free herself from my grasp but failed to do so.

"I'm assuming there are conditions? Who set the conditions?"

"I... I..." Suddenly, her eyes were wet, on the verge of tears.

I let out a sigh and released her. "I'm sorry. Let's talk about it together later, okay? I'll be back after some errands. Take care."

How come? [Sage] should work just like [soothsayer] but better. Is it not helping her with emotion stuff? Don't tell me erasing her memory caused glitches? It shouldn't though. Ahh... I'll figure something out later.

I left the mess for Mera to take care of before returning to Vera.

It was still half a chime early for the pickup so I sat outside Kanoko's office and waited.

"Rare seeing you with that gloomy look. If you're looking like that, how am I supposed to feel confident with the negotiation?"

She sat next to me leisurely, taking out her lunchbox from a bag.

Hmm... It's almost like we're lunch buddies.

"Kanoko, it's unrelated. You shouldn't worry about it," I replied.

"Oh I see. How is Smoothie?"

You sure have a sharp intuition...

I ended up spilling the beans, or rather, the abridged version of the story. Wordings had to be adjusted but the point got across nonetheless. 

"I see... Your approach is too blunt. With children, you have to be more understanding and patient. They make messes and do irrational things some times, ahem, like someone I know..." Her gaze met mine at that moment.

"Hey wait... I'm not like that! I'm a grownup!" I protested.

"Who said it was you I was referring to, hmm?" She chuckled, "A self-conscious one, aren't you?"

"Whatever. Want a drink?"

"Yes, please."

"One bottle of nectar water coming right up!"

For myself, I had a delicious ice-cream cone for lunch.

78