Chapter 40 – Neja’s News
96 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Unlike what the members of the Asago clan was expecting, Neja did not return that day. Nor did he come back the following day.

Everyone was worried when Neja did not return. Thinking the worst happened to him.

Although they wanted to search for him, their family waited a little bit longer. It was not until the night of thr fourth day that Neja was gone did he reappear.

He gave everyone a smile and nod as he walked over to the tree stumps they were sitting on.

"I bring news. Plenty of it." Neja said with a smile.

He rubbed his hand on Mishimoto's curly pale blue hair before he went to Ai and gave her a kiss.

"Not going to tell us where you were these past few days?" Ai asked him.

Neja nodded. "I went out to the village I discovered. Hoping to open up a trade agreement of sorts with them. While there I found out the village is being targeted by another clan. The Hitare clan to be exact. After finding out where the clan was located, I observed their movements for these last few days." Neja explained.

Looking around he could see his family still wanted to know more about it. "I was studying their movements, seeing how many were there, when the sentries rotate out, and how often they leave. I had the idea we should attack them if their numbers were a decently low size, which it seems to be. Around fifteen capable fighters, the vast majority are children. Yesterday, there was a change in their movement. So I captured one of their younger members when he was out hunting." Neja stopped there and smiled.

"Turns out the Hitare clan is preparing to attack the Narukami clan. With the aid of the Uchiha." Neja said leaving his family shocked beyond belief.

"With the supplies they've acquired from that village and their own, they must have a deal with the Uchiha. Supply them with resources in exchange for their help. Why? Because the Uchiha and Senju's fights are escalating." Neja explained.

Ai rubbed her temple and sighed. "This whole thing is just one big mess." Ai looked at Denji who nodded his head. Neja caught this but said nothing as he knew one of them were going to speak next.

"In the time of your absence the woman I helped out turned out to be a Uchiha clans member. I'm unsure what her mission was, but she did say there were more of them here in this region. Now that you've said it, we know what they are doing here." Denji confessed.

"We should help them." Ai suggested which caused her husband to look at her.

"Why? They are doomed the way I see it." Neja told her as he had little faith in the Narukami clan.

"We need to think smart. We've already shown our goodwill to them, and if we help them in their time of need... we can easily obtain an alliance with them. We need this. Whether we stay here in this land, or go back to our old one. We need the support of another." Ai explained.

Neja was silent, seemingly not convinced.

"We can do it right this time. A marriage agreement to seal the deal, that way they are less likely to attack us behind our backs." Ai said as she knew her husband and Denji's fears.

"And who are we offering?" Denji quickly asked as he looked at Yuri then towards Ai.

"We need to keep our line pure, so Yuri is off the table. One of you three would have to do it." Ai said as she glanced at Mishimoto.

Mishimoto looked at Ai and gave his usual smile. No one was ever sure what his smile meant, but they knew it meant something.

Denji rubbed his chin. "Maybe... but you have to understand what an alliance bound by marriage means. Their enemies will become ours."

"And ours theirs." Neja spoke up after debating the options they had. "This... this isn't a bad path to take. But, there is no turning back from this. Our plan to lay low will be tossed out once we make our move. Are you all in agreement on this?" Neja asked them.

His eyes wandered over Yuri and Mishimoto. Both of which were silent during this conversation.

If things went well for them, they would gain a strong footing in this new land. Even if they did return back home, they would have reinforcements. However, if things went sideways their clan would face extinction. Kermit would be the only one left to carry their lineage on, and no one knew where he was at.

3