Ch. 5 – Playing Dead
167 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Speak." A single word from Brian yet the gentleman feels no disrespect at all.

"No one besides me here knows the His Highness is still alive. We can use that as our advantage to help you escape. Since I was assigned to get rid of your body, it would be somewhat easy for me to move with your body."

Brian noticed how Asti was removing his white gloves while explaining. The only reason why he would remove those gloves is when he is about to use high-level magic. Brian cannot help and put his guard up.

'Sure he won't be killing me after everything.' Doubts started to surface in his mind. Although in the end, he decided to trust his servant because he is the only hope he can leave here alive with his daughter.

"I'll put you to a half-dead state where your body will be dead outside but your life, including your consciousness, will still be present. Based on His Majesty's condition, he will be having his last day today. Tomorrow will be the day they will announce his Majesty's death officially. Then the day after is when a replica of your body that was slaughtered by a beast in Mirage City will be publicized."

"Two shattering announcements held in consecutive days. They made sure not to give time for our people to mourn properly. The death of two central figures of the empire… The citizens of Auzeweth will most likely think this is a punishment from the Gods and continue to think like until the end of time."

The people of this world are more devout than what it was back on Earth. Simply because there is actual physical evidence depicting the presence of Gods. A great example of this would be the Blood of Death which is said to be a gift from the Death God for sacrificing thousands of souls.

'There might be people who will find my death to be strange, but they cannot do anything when the whole Laurefort family wants to hide it under the rug. If it was not for the System's reincarnation, Brian Laurefort will only live as a part of the history books starting today.'

"I get that everyone already expected for me to be dead. However, how can that help me from saving my daughter." Brian points out the most important aspect he needs to know.

"During the time when you are under the half-dead state, I can convince Her Highness to let me handle Miss Paia. When I heard her giving this instruction to the other trusted servants she had, she was less concerned than it was when she was talking on how to get rid of His Highness."

Brian felt frustrated when he heard how his wife cared very little for their daughter. 'Is your family really that expendable?' He thought to himself.

"Here is the problem Your Highness. I can only take the role of 'disposing of' your daughter after they announce your death. My magic would only allow your half-dead state for at most a single day before any distinct repercussion. Any more than that… You'll be gambling between life and death."

"Gambling… This won't be the first time." A word he does not want to be associated with anymore yet he felt nostalgic for some reason.

Asti did not mind his remark thinking that he was reminiscing his time back on the battlefield. Little did he know, he was literally gambling for his life using a roulette.

"If there is a chance to save my daughter, I would gladly take that chance. Even if I end up dead in the worst-case scenario, make sure my daughter will have a good life far from this joke of a family…No, prioritize my daughter's life over mine."

Responsibility of a father, Asti understands it deeply which is why he will not question His Highness's decision. Even himself have broken his own honor for the sake of his son to be out of harm's way. Too bad His Highness's father does not feel the same.

"Have you resolved yourself, Your Highness?" Asti place both his hand on Brian's chest.

"I have already resolved myself long after you mentioned my daughter." Preparing for the magic to activate, he entrusted his life within the hands of his most loyal servant.

"See you soon, Your Highness…"

Asti's warm hands turned black until an aura of death has formed around his fingertips. A magic that is considered to fall under the teachings of Death God, Brian did not care about this. He already knows the gentleman's background so he will not question where he learned it from.

When all fingertips have been lighted with a black aura, Asti mumbled something then it was followed by an invisible force that went into the heart of Brian.

Once two heartbeats beat in the room, now there was only one. The lifeless body of Brian fell, and Asti humbly catches him on his shoulders. The temperature of a normal body has been interchanged by a cold yet cooling touch. Asti closed the still open eyelids of Brian and he supported his body which felt heavy like no other force was being applied to expect gravity.

Knowing that his magic has been successful, and His Highness is in a half-dead state, he finally left the room.

***

"Where is Bryan?" A weak voice asked the numerous people that surrounded him.

"He told me that he wanted to gift His Majesty the privilege to see Mirage City be a part of our empire… But it looks like he will not make it." The man who was closest to him whispered like he was regretting the fact his son will not be able to see his grandfather before he passes away.

Yes, one of the people who are surrounding the feeble man lying on the bed is none other than the eldest among the son of His Majesty, Prince Zola.

"That son of yours is really one of a kind… I don't know if he is stupid or an idiot."

Zola laughed a little bit when his father made that snide remark. Rather than finding it funny, he only laughed for the sake of entertaining the old man. He knows very well that among his family members, Brian was the closest one with His Majesty.

"He is really like you, father… Too courageous yet reckless that you might think he is an idiot." Zola made his own snide comment towards his father.

"I can see my younger self in him. He may act like that today, but he will be a good ruler for Auzeweth."

"Yes, he will…"

'Too bad he already beat you in the afterlife.' It was not only Zola who thought this silently. Every single person present excluding His Majesty has this same thought.

"It's really a shame I won't be seeing that bastard before I leave… When you meet your son, tell him that he should cherish his wife and daughter very much…"

'Still thinking about your grandson when your son is actually in front of you. If you just have not announced Brian to be the next in line, he would still be by your side… It is your fault father for not crowning me to be the next king, and for my son's death.'

Pity, anger, and a little bit of sorrow. Zola looked at his dying father like he cannot wait for him to breathe his last breath.

Although at least on his side, he was still showing emotions. On the other corner of the room where his brother and sister were silently watching, they did not care at all that their father is saying his last words.

"And also Zola…"

"Yes, father."

"I'm sorry for not being a good father for you and for your siblings…"

The hand Zola was holding finally lost its strength, and the sound of desperate breathing come to a halt. Everyone in the room was standing still not daring to make any noise, but deep inside their hearts and minds, they were celebrating in their own way. Finally, their stubbornness of a King was no more.

It was on this day where major changes will be happening for the Empire of Auzeweth.

"If only you made me the king, father…"

10