Chapter – 8 When Pigs Hang
493 6 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   The walk back to the village is longer, made especially so by having to solely carry back the boar. Dalp is able to walk, however his arm has been giving him trouble when he goes to move it. What we fought was definitly a type of mutant. Dalp has instead insisted that it is a beast tainted with Hellion blood. I asked with concern of if such taint would make the meat unusable. He assured me that it would be fine as only beings unloved by god can fall to the Hellion's influence. A statement I didn't find very comforting when considering the village's standard of living.

   Leaving the carcass at the edge of the village, I help Dalp traverse the last stretch to his home. His house is better than the one I reside in as it has actual furniture and utensils.

   After knocking, the door swings open with his wife Lara smiling before she sees his condition becoming concerned, “Darling, what happened? what did this? you need to come in! Here lay down.”

   She's gesturing wildly, but Dalp gives her a meek smile an says, “Hi, honey.”

   Their conversation continues with Dalp giving her short replies to the questions she worriedly asks. Reaching the bed I help him get situated before I’m ushered out by his wife as she takes over. Having been pushed out, I return to the edge of the village to retrieve the corpse. Passing by the curious eyes of other residents I am back behind my own house. There’s a nice tree situated here, that I intend to use for hanging the boar, but I lack a proper rope for its hefty weight. Suspending the boar is vital to properly performing the butchery. Being the survivalist Dalp should have one. However, I wonder if his wife will let me back in to see him.

   Passing back through the middle of the town, I see Trijen as he starts calling out and waving me down, “Hey! Hey! Dryad!”

   What has him so energized? “Yes?”

   Trijen is looking at me wide-eyed, “What have you been doing? I’m first told that you’re seen taking an injured Dalp to his house, and then I hear that you’re carrying a Hellion boar through the middle of the town.”

   Crossing my arms I tell him, “We went hunting, our prey was more dangerous than expected.”

   He mulls over my words before asking, “And what about Lara why won’t she let us in to see Dalp?”

   How am I to know the thoughts of a woman? “Don’t know, but I am heading there now.”

   Trijen joins me as I again knock on the door to Dalp's house. Trijen doesn’t bother waiting for an answer though, and pushes open the door barging in.

   Lara is cradling Dalp in her arms. Neither look to be in good spirits, as they barely move to look at us who have intruded into their home.

   Trijen still in a flurry addresses them, “What is the meaning of this?”

   Lara shifts her sorrowful gaze from Dalp to Trijen, “Dalp’s shoulder has been wounded, any movement with it causes him pain.”

   This type of injury is a dreadful one for Dalp. Which despite his earlier showing of marksmanship against the Hellion Boar, he is a talented individual that also takes pride in his ability with a bow. This ailment could hinder him from doing what he loves for the rest of his life.

   In spite of this tragic news, Trijen still uses a stoic voice and delivers his words of encouragement to them, “It can still heal without causing permanent damage.”

   Dalp gives and incredulous response, “And what if my arm doesn’t work the same afterwards?”

   Trijen doesn't even let a moment pass after hearing that, quickly responding with vigor in his voice, “You are above letting that stop you from your archery, and I know you could overcome it!”

   Not caring for the emotional tension filling the room. I interject into the conversation, “I need a rope for butchering” I’m not much for the motivational talks, and prefer to get down to business.

   My words strangely look to bring more peace to Dalp than Trijen’s do. As he looks more at peace with my request, “Yes of course, tear apart the beast. I have a spare rope in a container out back.”

   Giving him a nod, and thanks I leave.

   With rope in hand I go about hanging the boar. Tying and looping the rope around a branch of the tree. Secured it to hold the boars weight. However, the carcass far outweighs me, leading to directly hoisting it up being impossible. Taking the rope around the side of another tree, I create the leverage needed and a spot for tying it off. Hoisting up the body the cut in the neck starts leaking some of the remaining blood. Beginning the process of skinning,  problems arise. The condition of the head, and the one damaged leg making it impossible to recover the entire hide. 

   With the hide removed the next step is quartering, however I’m met with an odd discovery. Overcoming the legs unusual bone structure was doable with some improvisation and prior experience with mutated animals, but an issue remains with the bones that formed after the beast's transformation. All but one of these faux bones started evaporating after being exposed to the air. The one that didn’t has an opaque look with a small round mass resting inside of it. I don't know what to make of it. Setting it aside to continue butchering.

   By the time the boar has been gutted and ready to be made into cuts, Trijen has arrived with an entourage, “I didn’t expect you to make such quick work of it. I had recruited some people to help after hearing from Dalp that this was so we could get the fat needed for tomorrow.”

   It isn't an easy task, would be convenient to just hand it off, “I won’t stop you from finishing the job. I don’t have the items to store all the meat anyways.”

   With a light smile Trijen replies, “It would be my gratitude.”

   I should ask him about the oddity I found, “I also need your help with one more thing.”

   Without a change in his expression he asks, “What be it?”

   That's what I want to know, “There’s a part of the beast that I can’t identify.”

   Without even seeing it he says, “Is it the Hellion Core?”

   Showing him the strange bone I ask, “Is that what this is?”

   He spreads out his hands while saying, “Yes, a valuable part capable of being made into many things.”

   That's a vague answer and I don't really want to keep it on me after seeing what it did to the boar, “Then perhaps it should go to Dalp as his portion of the hunt.”

   Trijen looks at me with questioning manner, “The way he tells the story it sounds like you did most of the work though.”

   I reply with fake anguish, “Yet, I suffered the least.” Honestly speaking I just don’t like having an item with so many unknowns in my possession. It unsettles me knowing this is connected to the changes the boar went through. I've seen what happens to people who keep around mysterious and dangerous items they thought were more valuable than the threats they posed. Which is hypocritical of me as I too have kept such items. 

Which of these characters do you think will have the most interesting effect on the plot?
  • Dalp - The Hunter Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Trijen - Village Head Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Susa - The Kid Votes: 29 46.8%
  • Hane - Papermaker Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Mari - The Teacher Votes: 11 17.7%
Total voters: 62
25