181 – Patent
1.2k 3 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Li Yun rested two fingers over Ms. Chen’s wrist and focused on her CV. He noticed that the area around her right temporal region was inflamed. There was a condition associated with it, but he wasn't sure what it was. He took out his phone from his white coat pocket and looked up the possible illness. He may be a doctor, but even he had to look up different medical conditions.

“It seemed like it could be polymyalgia rheumatica and giant cell arteritis," Li Yun concluded as he showed Professor Shao Shan his phone.

“Polymyalgia rheumatica?” Professor Shao Shan wasn’t in rheumatology, so he immediately left the room to contact the rheumatolist to confirm the diagnosis.

“Ms. Chen, you were in an accident?” Li Yun asked Chen Weili, the woman in her late forties.

“My wife was in an accident more than six months ago,” Chen Toubo replied in her steed.

Li Yun focused on Chen Weili’s lifeless eyes, and wondered if something else had happened. A woman of Chen Weili’s stature would not be driving alone. He looked to Chen Toubo, and decided it was none of his business to ask anything further. Some things were better left unsaid.

“He said C-reactive protein came back normal, but it’s still possible,” Professor Shao Shan returned after making his call. “If it’s PMR, should we switch her medication to corticosteroids?”

Li Yun shook his head. The Huifu medicine was alleviating much of the inflammation. “Keep her on Huifu for another week. Her body is stabilizing.”

“Is it really that simple?” asked Professor Shao Shan.

Li Yun nodded.

Chen Toubo was a bit confused by the conversation. “Professor, is my wife fine?”

“Mr. Chen, your wife is suffering from polymyalgia rheumatic,” Professor Shao Shan explained. “It’s an inflammatory autoimmune disease where the body attacks the membranes near the joint. Sometimes, it goes away on its own. Dr. Li suggests keeping your wife on medication for another week, and she should be feeling better.”

"We will slowly reduce the dosage for the next three months, and her condition should improve," said Li Yun.

It sounded rather simple, but a lot of people suffered from chronic pain that required continuous treatment.

“Thank you,” Chen Toubo nodded as he looked at Li Yun. “You are the doctor that performed surgery on the flight to Magic City?”

Li Yun nodded, “It was by chance that I had all my medical equipment with me for the seminar.”

As it was fresh on everyone’s mind, Li Yun appeared to be famous. But give it another week, and no one would remember the event. It was best to milk it for all its worth.

“Dr. Li is giving a seminar?” asked Chen Toubo.

“Yes, I'll be presenting a seminar at the Oncology Center to explain the flow of circulation and use of TCM medicine in clinical applications.”

“Then it appears that Dr. Li is quite a busy man. I have to get going, but if there is anything you need, contact my secretary,” Chen Toubo passed along a business card to Li Yun.

"I don't want to make such a big request, simply an opportunity to pay for an advertisement space on the variety show network," Li Yun requested. Advertisement was big business and the rates were too high for small business owners. There were standard rates, but they were often passed over to companies who could pay extra bonuses. Li Yun wasn't looking to jump over hoops, but to be on the list without being shortchanged by others.

Chen Toubo nodded in agreement. As the chairman of Telecommune, he approved many major headlines and advertisements released on the web and major broadcasting channels.

“Send your company’s ad to my secretary, I will help get the word out,” Mr. Chen promised. It was a small price to pay.

As the MCUH wasn’t his hospital, Li Yun wasn’t concerned about possible repercussions for requesting red envelopes. He hadn’t received approval to advertise his drugs, but he was allowed to advertise his company and the Shennong App.

With Chen Toubo appeased, Li Yun met with Professor Shao Shan on the status of Huifu's clinical trial. The majority of the clinical trials were naturally in big cities like Magic City. There were many people who suffered from chronic pain and inflammation caused by autoimmune diseases. There were many willing to participate in the clinical trials, and so far, already 1,000 had enrolled. It was the benefit of a large population.

"There have been a dozen reports of side effects, but I have been able to narrow it down to other factors," said Professor Shao Shan.

Li Yun was concerned about rival companies implanting patients to sabotage the study. Even with his connection to Song Taiji, he had to be careful.

"I heard one of the inspectors visited your factory," Professor Shao Shan commented. "You're one of the few that made it out without heavy fines. You should keep an eye out on the Medical Product Administration (MPA.) Since they took CFDA, there had been many new regulations.”

"It is probably better this way," Li Yun replied.

There had been many new regulations passed in the pass few years. Stricter regulations improved the quality of pharmaceutical drugs in the market. What Li Yun didn't like was the Xia family publicly championing the regulations as a marketing tool to show the public how altruistic they were. In reality, they were using it as a tool to destroy startup companies before buying out their patents.

"Do you know what else the officials are planning to pass?" asked Li Yun.

"There's an institutional reform being drafted. Maybe it will be passed in a few months."

The institutional reform was going to be a big one, even Li Yun had heard whispers about the plan to completely overhaul many institutions from banking, media, taxes, environment to healthcare. The government was also planning to modernize TCM.

Li Yun refocused on the Huifu data and then placed it aside. He pulled out another report and passed it onto Professor Shao Shan.

"This is Yunli’s data," asked Professor Shao Shan in an excited tone.

Unlike Huifu, Yunli was less restrictive. Li Yun had very specific guidelines for Huifu as a TCM drug. Doctors were not allowed to prescribe it continuously after 3 months. However, Yunli could be taken freely with a standard 3,000 mg maximum per day like a standard over-the-counter medicine. There were only a couple of days remaining before they were allowed to test Yunli in the clinical setting.

"Other than supporting the new regulations, Berne has been relatively quiet," Professor Shao Shan was aware of how active they could be to destroy small startup companies.

"They got a hold of the manufacturing process and have already submitted a request to enter a clinical trial," Li Yun got the information from Hun Lun.

Someone from the MPA office had leaked the data to Berne. Although China new drug approval process was faster than in many countries, they also required the manufacturing procedures to be documented as part of the new drug submission process.

"Are you concerned about the patent?" asked Professor Shao Shan.

Li Yun shook his head. "The patent have also been submitted to several other countries, I don't think they are that bold with the amount of proof I have."

Berne Pharmaceutical had likely submitted something similar in case Yunli was proven to be useful. Li Yun had the patent, but the government tended to support generic brands as a mean to encourage competition and reduce cost. Generic brand drugs were big business.

"It's good you submitted your patent to other countries, did you always want to expand to the international market?" asked Professor Shao Shan.

"You know how slow the process is, just trying to get ahead, I don't know if it will be in the next 5 years, or the next 20 years," Li Yun replied.

It took ibuprofen 7 years to be approved in its prescription form in Old Bright, 12 years in the States and 36 years before it was approved for over-the-counter use.

"What are you planning to work on next?" asked Professor Shao Shan. As one of the investors, he wanted to know what Li Yun was planning now that Yunli and Huifu were completed.

"I'm not sure yet," Li Yun wanted to focus on finishing up his mission; he already had too much on his plate.

40