183 – Rebuttal
1.2k 2 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“This is such a bunch of hogwash,” Doctor Mo exclaimed in a foul mood as she read the email on her phone regarding an upcoming TCM lecture from a Dr. Li. “Do we honestly have to sit through an hour for this quack to explain his method? It’s obviously not going to work because this is only applicable in a fantasy world.”

Some of the doctors in the hospital shared the same sentiment. They had seen videos of Minister Yue’s surgery, but who was to say that the surgery wasn’t fabricated to enhance the standing and legitimize TCM in the hospital setting?

There were two polar opinions on TCM within the hospital setting. Critics often target the lack of clinical evidence. Proponents often cited the thousand years of clinical records from TCM doctors throughout history. Even within the TCM community, there were two distinct sides. One side wanted to divorce itself from the esoteric ideology and the other side remained adamant about the spiritual aspect of TCM.

“Dr. Mo, did you post the rebuttal on the Medical Health Forum?” A resident asked on their way to see a patient. The medical forum was of the largest site for registered medical practitioners. 

Doctor Mo nodded. She was a neurosurgical fellow at the Cancer Center, and one of the more famous up-and-coming research doctors. Her CV included Havard Medical School and residency at JH University. Nothing peeved her more than seeing TCM in the hospital setting. 

As a doctor at the Cancer Center associated with Academician Tan, it was natural for Dr. Mo to come across Li Yun’s videos. She had studied the videos extensively, and had written several commenaries on the forum.

Dr.MoShiAn: Are we so captivated by supernatural nonsense seen on TV that we begin to believe this fabricated lie? I am not commenting on Minister Yue or Academician Tan's integrity and involvement, but on the level of trickery that this Dr. Li has shown in his so-called surgery. Dr. Li is exactly that, a masterful illusionist at best.

The theatrical movement of his body as though he’s racing down the racetrack, it’s a clear indicator of someone using misdirection to hide the real trick behind his interventional surgery with the use of CT scans. He’s not reading the pulse, he's putting on a performance.

Moving the catheter inside the body is not only irresponsible, it is an ethical violation. I do not believe Dr. Li is brave enough to violate such ethics. Technology is so advanced that wireless feeds could be seen anywhere. Why hasn’t anyone thought about the possibility of someone else behind Dr. Li? Someone who could see everything that is going on with the body from the adjacent room, and instruct Dr. Li on the movement into the designated vessels to deploy the Y-90?

It’s because many of us wish to believe miracles exist. 

And why would Dr. Li perform such trickery? I want to ask, why does anyone perform such trickery? For money, for course. Dr. Li is a researcher at Shennong Pharmaceutical. A new start-up company selling TCM pills. What better form of advertisement than to create sensational news with TCM?

Dr. Mo’s rebuttal had been shared and liked by many doctors who agreed with her statement. Even former supporters had to rethink their assessment of the operation. The explanation provided by Dr. Mo was easier to accept by the general populace. Although there were detractors, there were also many people defending Li Yun on the forum.

Dr.YY: I have been to Dr. Li’s clinic, and his understanding of medicine and health is second to none. I don’t know much about cancer surgery, but Dr. Li is a man of integrity.

Miu: Someone is obviously jealous because you don’t have the skill. Just look at the news about Dr. Li performing surgery on the plane. Was that fabricated too?

Dr.Lurker: Appendectomy on the plane is impossible.

Dr.Dr.: Really, you obviously haven’t seen the medical reports. I have, and it was impeccable. Never even seen a ruptured appendectomy so cleanly removed, even in the OR. All the doctors were amazed when we checked the cavity for any potential damage and injury.

Dr. Mo wondered about what Li Yun did on the plane that made him an instant celebrity within the medical world the last few days. Unfortunately, there was no close-up video footage during the surgery. She was able to procure copies of the patient’s interior abdominal cavity, but even she had not figured out how he had performed the procedure. According to interviews with the flight attendants, the entire procedure was completed in less than thirty minutes, maybe even within twenty. 

There were confirmed reports of the ruptured specimen, but it was simple to create the ruptured appendix once it was outside. There was no way to confirm that the rupture happened inside the cavity. But then again, there was a baby involved, so she wasn't sure if the patient would risk it.

“How did he get the appendix out with only one small opening?”  Dr. Mo mumbled to herself, it was the only thing she couldn’t figure out. According to the doctor on board, Li Yun only used one portable endocutter. 

Unable to add any rebuking statement, Dr. Mo closed out her phone and entered the ward to visit a patient. “Feila, I got you a present today,” she handed to Feila a stuffed pillow that looked like the head of a sheep. “I know it’s your favorite.”

Feila, the little girl sitting on her bed, smiled as soon as she saw the sheep. “Sister Mo, thank you!”

Dr. Mo smiled, and sat next to the bed. She greeted the mother, who looked just as pale as her daughter.

“How are you feeling today?” Dr. Mo asked.

“Good!” Feila had always been an optimistic girl despite her prognosis at such a young age. She was diagnosed with a brain tumor at the age of ten. After two years in chemotherapy, the effectiveness was beginning to wear off. They were considering switching out the chemotherapy and applying for a newly developed drug. It may be her only chance for survival.

Dr. Mo patted her head, being careful not to shift the short bob wig. She read through the medical report by the bedside, but frowned when she saw what was being proposed. After a brief chat With Feila, she went to see Professor Chung about the surgical plan for Feila.

“Professor Chung, I do not agree with the plan to remove the glia,” Dr. Mo said. “It is too much for Feila.”

“But this is something we will need to do to avoid recurrence,” Professor Chung replied. It was standard procedure to remove the nearby glia cells around the brain tumor in case they get infected. Iin order to prevent recurrence, surgeons always recommend removing some of the good cells surrounding the malignant tumors.

Feila had tumors in 3 different locations. Two of the cancerous cells were contained, but the third had been growing despite treatment. The parents had decided that they wanted to try surgery. 

During their discussion, Academcian Tan, Li Yun and a group of residents appeared walking toward their direction. Academician Tan was making rounds around the cancer ward to show Li Yun the different cases. Academician Tan was interested to hear Li Yun opinions about some of the dire cases.

Li Yun knew a lot of cancer survivors, but the ones that usually stayed at the cancer center were the ones in need of the most medical attention. Many were in the advanced stages and required an organ transplant. But despite the advancement in technology, some cancers were difficult to deal with, even with treatment. Many treatments like chemotherapy destroyed not only cancer cells, but healthy body cells. Whereas targeted treatment did not guarantee 100% removal of all the cancer cells. 

Li Yun did not know if there was a way to create a formula that could cure cancer. There were too many different types of cancer, and too many factors involved that made it a difficult task. The only thing he could suggest was Huifu to alleviate the pain.

Luckily, the prognosis for cancer has been improving over the past decades. More people were able to survive with treatment and early cancer screening.

“Dr. Li, this is Professor Chung and Dr. Mo,” Academician Tan. “Professor Chung is a neurosurgeon who is working on treatment for meningioma. Next to him in Dr. Mo, our star recruit who recently moved back from the States.”

“Dr. Li,” Professor Chung said as he shook Li Yun’s hands. Professor Chung was in his early fifties, but seemed very sharp. He didn’t talk much after the introduction, so the man wasn’t into small talk.

Li Yun turned to Dr. Mo and carefully studied her as he shook her hands. Although Professor Chung was indifferent to his arrival, Dr. Mo seemed a bit more hostile.

“I heard Dr. Li performed surgery on the plane?” asked Dr. Mo.

Li Yun nodded. “Dr. Mo would like to know how it’s done?”

“I am curious about your method.”

“Unfortunately, the type of surgery I performed required either years of training or a genius at my level,” Li Yun could say he was joking, but he wasn’t. Was there really a way to recreate Li Yun’s ability? He wasn’t sure.

Dr. Mo laughed. “Dr. Li is a funny guy. Unfortunately, science relies on the ability of the peers to recreate the same situation. If another doctor can’t perform or recreate the process, it is useless. If a genius like you dies out, no one else would benefit from it.”

“I’m sure there will be nanotechnology in the future that can outperform me,” Li Yun stated. He was sure that in the future, even without him, medical innovation would figure out a way.

“Dr. Mo, why don’t you introduce Feila to Dr. Li?” Academician  Tan. He could also tell that she didn’t trust Li Yun, but he was also like that before Minister Yue’s surgery.

The group headed into the ward to see Feila.

38