182 – Family Business
1.3k 6 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chen Toubo sat next to his wife as their driver drove them home after signing the release form. During the way, the car remained silent. The driver had the interior window up, so it wasn’t because they didn’t want driver to listen in.

“You’re still upset about what happened?” asked Chen Toubo.

Chen Weili looked at her husband of over 25 years, and then turned away to look at the cold courtyard garden, sitting lifelessly as they waited for spring to arrive. Their marriage was like the cold winter, except it was the only season that existed. There was no affection; only mutual benefits bound by the business agreement made by her father grandfather Long Bailau and Chen Lingbo. 

Chen Weili’s position was a bit unusual. As the youngest daughter of three, she had no value other than her marriage to Chen Toubo. With her father's early passing, the Long Family scrambled to find a suitable heir for their empire. Her two elder sisters were cursed with daughters. Her union with Chen Tuobo had reduced Chen Gan, who was expected to take over the Long Empire, despite being a Chen.

“What is there to be upset about?” she responded with little emotion. “It was just another way to pass the day.”

The accident occurred when her young lover veered left to avoid a collision. The press made it seem like it was her driver. He was in the hospital for multiple organ failure, and passed away a few days in the hospital. She knew far too well that someone from the Chen family had ordered his death. If he survived the ordeal, their affair was likely to be exposed. Chen Weili wondered if the reason she was still alive was because the Chens were afraid of Long Bailau’s retaliation.

“That doctor said you should be recovering soon,” Chen Tuobo relayed the message from the doctor as soon as they entered their estate.

The maids quietly escorted Chen Weill to her room.

“I’m heading out to see Chen Daqi, are you coming?” he asked, getting ready to leave.

Chen Weili shook her head, but Chen Toubo was already heading out of the door. During the drive to Les Sita Restaurant, Chen Weili’s driver updated him on Li Yun’s file.

“He has met Chen Gan?” Chen Toubo wondered why his son didn’t mention anything to him about their encounter, or was it rather insignificant? He had three children, but he could only count on his eldest son, Chen Gan.

“Yes sir,” responded the driver. “They we seen together at the Protector Auction with Tang Jiang.”

“Tang Jiang investigated him?”

“It’s likely since he has connection to Song Meilin.”

Chen Tuobo was aware that the Tang family wanted an alliance with the Song. Li Yun arrival had helped to balance out the power between the five clans.

The car arrived in front of a villa, and only the elite was aware that there was a restaurant inside. As he walked in, the formally dressed waiters greeted him with a 90 degree bow. They led him into a private suite and quietly left.

Les Sita was one of the private restaurants in Magic City that catered only to the elite. Reservation was 5k per person, not including the food, which was the finest in the country. It was also owned by the Chen’s Family, and operated by his youngest brother, Chen Daqi. 

“Uncle Toubo, how is aunt Weili?” asked Chen Ah Rou from the lavish round table.

“She’s doing much better, recovering at our villa,” Chen Toubo responded.

Chen Toubo took a seat directly across from Chen Daqi. His brother wasn’t a public figure, but the number of shares he held in the entertainment industry was not to be underestimated. Many of the tv shows and films were made with his money and investment. 

By his side was his third wife, Chen Susu, a young woman in her thirties. She used to be a TV actress, but retired six years ago after her marriage to Chen Daqi. Her marriage to a man twice her age made many entertainment reporters curious, but the news barely made it big and faded under other headlines.

Chen Ah Rou, Chen Daqi's eldest daughter from his first wife, sat on the other side of Chen Daqi. She always seemed flighty, but the girl had caused the downfall of many rising actors who didn't cater to her every need and whim.

“I heard you’re planning to take a seat in the general affairs office,” Chen Daqi was curious about Chen Toubo’s plan.

“It will be difficult, the Xia is also eying the same position,” Chen Toubo.

“Shouldn't it be easy for you? I heard Chen Gan got a promotion.”

“That kid is always ambitious, but he’s too friendly with the Tang family.”

“There’s nothing wrong with that.”

The Chen had the most political influence, but the least amount of wealth. Whereas the Tang had the most amount of wealth, but the least amount of political power. The Song, Xia, and Long were somewhere in between.

“That Dr. Li that you had mentioned, he is the doctor that provided Weili with the medical help," Chen Toubo mentioned. "I have agreed to help advertise his medicine.”

“The one associated with the Song family?” asked Chen Daqi. “Is he also in line with the Ning?”

“It’s under his own company called the LY Group,” for Chen Toubo, it was easy to gather such information.

“Hm… So he has his own company. Did Chen Gan say anything about their product?” Chen Daqi wasn't in the pharmaceutical business, but he was in the business of making money. Anything that had the potential to make money, he wanted to know about it.

“It’s in the review stage, but there shouldn’t be anything that stops it from passing through,” said Chen Toubo. “However, there is another similar product that was pushed through a few weeks ago by the Xia family.”

The five big families appeared to have a harmonious relationship, but it was a relationship of checks and balances. All the family worked to ensure that no one received more power over the other.

“We will help Dr. Li then,” Chen Daqi didn’t like that the Xia family was expanding too much on the global market. If he could deter their power domestically, might as well help a doctor whose only connection was Song Taiji’s youngest granddaughter.

The food arrived, filling the table with abundance. However, by the end of the dinner, there were still many leftovers. Chen Toubo and Chen Daqi were going to discuss internal family business, which required Chen Susu and Chen Ah Rou to leave the room. Business talk was not suited for women, especially the Chen's family business.

The two women took their leave, they knew when their appearance was not needed. Chen Susu’s bodyguard took her home. Whereas, Chen Ah Rou walked to another room and knocked.

The servant opened the door and let her enter. Inside was a group of young ladies sitting around to drink champagne. The group from Magic City wasn’t too different from the group in Imperial City. Long Suah, Chen Bingbing, and Tang Enya were around, celebrating Chen Bingbing's latest movie. Even without a special occasion, the room was booked every week as a social hangout for the elites.

“Bingbing, how are you?” Chen Ah Rou asked.

“Good, sister Ah Rou doing well?” Chen Bingbing asked.

“Congrats on your new movie release and your television’s series success.”

Chen Bingbing’s popularity had skyrocketed after her television show aired. The audience was raving about her caring and charming performance as an actress going undercover as a teacher in a small town to understand her role.

“Thanks,” Chen Bing Bing replied with a bit of sarcasm. 

Every word that came out from Chen Ah Rou sounded fake. Chen Ah Rou didn’t like Chen Bingbing who was just the granddaughter from the side branch.  It was only in recent years that Chen Bingbing had quickly become the favorite of the patriarch Chen Lingbo.

Despite the mutual dislike, everyone in the room gossiped and talked like they were good friends. 

“Where’s Song Lili?” asked Chen Ah Rou.

“She said Song Meilin is in town, so she’s doing more work to finalize a bid for the old sea port,” said Tang Enya, a woman in her late thirties, but she looked a lot younger with her unnatural puffy cheeks.

“Oh, Meilin in town?” asked Long Suah. “Is Dr. Li in Magic City as well?”

Long Suah scrolled through her phone to check Li Yun’s status.

“No need to check, he’s here,” said Chen Ah Rou. “He saw my aunt at the hospital earlier.”

“Oh? He saw your aunt?” Tang Enya was curious.

“Yes. For a surgeon, he’s not bad.”

“How much does he make? 1 million a year?” Tang Enya asked, the necklace she was wearing cost that much. 

“He’s a smart guy for sticking to Song Meilin,” said Chen Ah Rou. “I heard her company is doing well.”

Chen Bingbing laughed.

“Cous, what’s so funny?” asked Chen Ah Rou.

“You think Song Meilin would date a simple surgeon?” Chen Bingbing asked.

“Do you know Dr. Li?” asked Chen Ah Rou.

“I consider him to be my lifesaver,” Chen Bingbing replied. Aside from the mudslide, he had operated on her. Her scar from the surgery had already faded.

"The world is rather small then," said Chen Ah Rou. "I remembered you had an accident in the rural area. I didn't think that Dr. Li was the one that saved you. Too bad he's with Song Meilin, he looks very suitable for you."

Chen Bingbing smiled pleasantly, knowing Chen Ah Rou's vileness. She and Li Yun were considered commoners in their eyes. Long Suah kept her silence, but was amused by the conversation.

40