Chapter 26: A Flower’s Test
3.6k 11 147
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It is the start of my one month stay on the 80th floor. I am now about to begin my training lesson with Alraune-san as she stands before me on this wide open area, with Kyuki sitting on the bed under the maple tree, observing for now.

It's been awhile since I had any lessons. The last time I had those were in my previous life, when I was forced to partake in them by my parents.

But now, this is different. This is a lesson which I had willingly chose to join. So, if I'm going to do it, I'm going to go all out on it!

"First off, show me what you can do, my dear."

As she said that, Alraune-san then created a stationary copy of herself. Essentially telling me to fight it while she observe my moves.

So it's like a test, huh? All right then...

I took up the challenge and deploy my unique skill, Dark Domain. Starting with a Slaughter at the Alraune clone.

However, no harm was done to it.

Dammit, I even got my new Courageous Fighter title in effect, which increases all of my stats by a thousand, so as long I'm in a "fight". And yet, Slaughter did nothing. It did not even pierce the clone's body, which was the intended purpose of it.

"Fufufu. What an interesting skill you have~ However, it will take more than that to inflict a scratch on my clone."

I see. In that case...!

Dark Domain: Guillotine Strike!

And while I'm at it, I charged forward to the target. Activating my skills, Super Speed and Super Strength.

Dark Magic: Black Sabre!

Guillotine Strike appeared behind the target, while Black Sabre formed in my hand. Using the same method I used to slice the monkey leader into three, I struck the wooden clone with all of my might.

This should put a scratch on it. Or that's what I'd thought...

You're kidding me, right? The clone is still unharmed!? Just how hard is this thing?

"Oh my, is that it, my dear?"

Alraune-san... She's really taunting me. And to be honest, it's kind of working.

I know this is just a test, and that there is no need to destroy the clone. But I want to have a perfect score. And for me, that is to destroy the wooden clone... completely and utterly!

Without wasting anymore time, I squeezed out all of the available magic in my veins, concentrate it into one single spell, and unleashed it onto the target with all my might.

Dark Magic: Black Beam!

A blast, far larger than the one I used on the monkeys was shot out. A cloud of dust then formed, as my legs then begin to feel wobbly, while my breathing became a little more heavier.

Haa... Haaa.....

You're kidding me, right?

The dust dispersed. And the wooden clone of Alraune-san still stands strong, as if it did not just took a full blast of dark magic in the face. With the only visible on it, being a small graze on the cheek.

Ah... dammit. Just how high is it's defense?

In that case...

Dark Domain—

"Alright, that's enough, my dear."

What?

Just as I was about make my move once again, Alraune-san stepped in and removed her wooden clone. Sending it back into the soil.

"I told you, my dear, to show me what you can do. But that doesn't mean you had to go all out on it, you know."

Well, I knew that. It's just... I can't help but to try and achieve a perfect score whenever I'm being tested. Because, well... it's what I was always told to get. Otherwise, the people who told me to do so would always say that one line to me...

"However, to think that was all you could do... What a disappointment."

Yeah, I know... That's what I always hear after all. That's what they always say to me. My parents, the perfectionists, would always say that line of "what a disappointment" to me. Which would always frustrate me to the core since all I could ever say in return was one thing.

"Sorry for being... a disappointment..."

"Hm? Why are you apologising, my dear? You did nothing wrong, you know."

"But I... disappointed you... did I not?"

"Yes, you did. But so what? Even if you're a disappointment now, it doesn't matter. What matters is, if you are willing or not to get out from being a disappointment."

But.. I am though. That's why I have always worked hard in my previous life. To the point where I would sacrifice my bedtime rest in order to obtain the results they desired. But even so, that was never enough for my parents, whose view of me would never change as they would constantly look down on me with disgrace.

...Argh! Stop thinking about them, me! Those two are all in the past now!

I stood up. My feet still feel wobbly, but that doesn't matter.

"Fufufu. You're still ready to go, it seems."

Of course I am. We've just started after all.

"However, it'd be best for you to rest a bit after stupidly exhausting all of that magic away. But before that, my dear... What was that skill you used to spawn the darkness on the ground? The one where you created spikes and giant axes from it."

"You mean... Dark Domain...?"

"Yup, that's the one. Dark Domain, I see. How interesting.... Is that a unique skill of yours perhaps?"

"Yes..."

Alraune-san stood silent for a moment, pondering about something.

"A question, my dear. Does that unique skill of yours exhaust your magic?"

"Uh, no... I think..."

I was able to use the skill before I even obtained Magic Sense, Magic Control, and Magic Vein, so I doubt Dark Domain would require magic for my to use it.

"I see... Then, is there a limit as to how long you can keep that skill on?"

"Ah... That, uh..."

I don't know. I never really thought about it. Is there a limit to Dark Domain other than its range? I mean, the longest I was able to keep it deployed was about six to seven hours at most, I believe. We did took almost an entire day to reach this floor from the 85th floor below, but that was because we had to take some breaks here and there along the way. Thus, removing Dark Domain for an hour or so then, before proceeding onwards through the floors up.

So, the answer to that would of course be unknown.

I shrugged in response to Alraune-san's question, indicating my answer to her, as she then proceeded to call forth a large flower next to her. Opening its bud up as it reveals to be a sort of clock, except that it is an organic flower and not mechanical.

"If you do not know how long it will last, then let us find out together, shall we, my dear? And since it doesn't cost any of your magic, we'll use this experiment as a way for you rest until you restore them back."

"Yes... Alraune-san..."

"Great. However though... why do you keep calling me 'Alraunesun'...?"

What? I'm just using Japanese honorifics as a Japanese though. Does Alraune-san's Vocal Translation not translate that part perhaps?

"The 'san' is an... honorific in my... language..... Like Sir... or Miss.... and such....."

"Oh, so that's how it is... Alright then, bring out your Dark Domain skill, my dear. We shouldn't dilly-dally any longer."

"I understand...."

Dark Domain.

And with that, we watched as the hands on the flower clock move ever so slowly.

Kyuki, come here.

Kyuu~?

I called Kyuki to come to me and sat down where I stood with Alraune-san serving us more mochis, while I cuddle with Kyuki as we wait and do nothing but eat snacks and idly chat perhaps.

If I can even start a conversation with Alraune-san, that is...

Hell, what should I even talk about!?

Thanks for reading. 🍫

147