Chapter 160: The Savage Craving (3)
1.3k 2 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

How long can I handle Adelle's behavior before my body gives out? Will it be months or years? Diana warned me that my body would eventually break down, and with the added stress from Adelle, I don't think I can endure it for much longer. If only I had a strong constitution, I wouldn't have to deal with these limitations.

 

Lost in contemplation, I was abruptly interrupted by a sharp blow to my arm, causing me to wince in pain. Bewildered, I turned my attention toward Lily, whose expression exuded annoyance.

 

"What on earth was that for?" I inquired, reflexively massaging my throbbing arm.

 

And then, a realization dawned upon me. "Wait, the numbness and pain... they've vanished?"

 

A mischievous smirk displayed on Lily's lips. "That, my love, is the power of the advanced medical techniques practiced by my people."

 

Caught off guard by the sudden disappearance of my discomfort, my curiosity piqued. "Your people possess truly impressive medical knowledge, don't they?"

 

Lily nodded, a hint of pride in her voice. "We have a long history of healing knowledge. We combine natural remedies and advanced magic to make our treatments effective."

Lily beamed smugly, radiating confidence as she shared her knowledge with me. "That's an exclusive herb in our kingdom," She said. "It helps restore damaged blood vessels. Although the pain has subsided, your body's vascular system still needs time to recover. So, rest. With your resilience, I think the effects will last for an hour or two."

 

I chuckled softly as Lily spoke, amused by the contrast of her character whenever the topic of her people came up.

 

"What's funny?" she asked, curious about my reaction.

 

Taking a moment to gather my thoughts, I appreciated the chance to have a meaningful conversation.

 

"It's interesting to think about the differences between traditional remedies and modern medicine," I explained with a warm smile, as I truly enjoy hearing Lily's explanation. "Each approach has its own merits, rooted in centuries of knowledge or cutting-edge discoveries. It's fascinating how different cultures and eras have developed their own healing methods."

 

Lily nodded, captivated by the notion of integrating traditional and modern practices. "You're right," she conceded. "Ancient traditions hold wisdom, and modern medicine has made incredible progress. We're at the point where the bridge of the gap has been closer than before. I truly believe we can harness the combined potential."

 

I smiled in agreement.

 

She continued, growing more enthusiastic. "Through collaboration and embracing the strengths of both approaches, we can unlock innovation and enhance patient care. Just imagine a future where diverse healing traditions converge."

 

Lily's eyes gleamed as she exclaimed, "Ha!"

 

'And, here we go...'

 

Lily left the room without uttering a word, fueled by her newfound inspiration.

 

"Just like she left," I remarked jokingly.

 

With a deep sigh, I glanced at my trembling right arm, wincing in discomfort. My ring and pinky finger twitched and cramped like each and every single nerve was at war. I wearily sat in a chair by the balcony, looking out at the beautiful scenery. The colors and sights of the outside world beckoned me, offering a temporary escape from my torment.

"Hooo..." Taking a deep breath, I tried to ignore the discomfort in my arm and immerse myself in the rhythm of nature. I gritted my teeth with my legs fidgeting uncontrollably, as the pain persisted, but the beauty around me provided a brief sense of relief.

 

After a while, the discomfort slowly faded away, and I couldn't help but say, "You know, if you stay motionless this entire time, it will be too obvious." I glanced to my right, where Adelle remained motionless.

 

As there was no response, I took the initiative to approach Adelle. However, as I got closer, I could sense the heaviness in the air surrounding her. It appeared that she deliberately hid her face from me, making it impossible for me to see her expression. Despite this, I sat down beside her and asked, "Since when have you been awake?"

 

Adelle didn't respond.

 

I understood the emotions she was going through—guilt, anger, disappointment—and I couldn't simply ignore or dismiss them. Adelle held a special place in my heart, and one of my fears was losing her. Perhaps that fear was why I had been avoiding Shin Morino...

 

I stared at the ceiling for around an hour or two, holding my right arm. Adelle didn't utter a single word or sound. Throughout the entire time, there was nothing but silence between us. Finally, I broke the silence that had felt like forever.

 

I glanced at Adelle's back for a few seconds before returning my gaze to the ceiling. "I know that I'm in no position to say these things... It's not your fault... What I mean is, trust yourself. You're a much better person than me—more responsible, smarter, more mature, talented, and the list goes on. So... Yeah... Uhm... This is not your fault."

 

Adelle's back twitched in response.

 

Then I stared at the ceiling, gathering my thoughts. "I..."

 

In the blink of an eye, I found myself on the marble floor, with Adelle's indignant eyes staring down at me and her tugging the lapel of my uniform. "What's your problem?!" she screamed.

 

It took me by surprise, leaving me lost for words. It was the first time I had ever seen her act like this. Yet, behind her apparent indignant look, there was a hint of sadness hidden in her eyes. From her gaze alone, I could already hear the countless words she wanted to scream at me. This moment felt eerily familiar.

 

Adelle's mouth kept opening and closing as if she were struggling to voice her thoughts. Furthermore, it was crystal clear to me that she wanted to scream out her frustration, but she was restraining herself. This made me ponder the reasons behind her restraint.

 

"Then tell me," I said softly.

 

Adelle clenched her jaw in response.

 

"Look here..." I paused for a brief moment. "... Even without saying a word, you already knew, so why bother."

 

Adelle tightened her grip and averted her gaze. Before looking away, I caught a glimpse of guilt and sorrow behind her eyes. The guilt would slowly eat away at her mind and heart, and it worried me greatly. It could potentially plunge her life into the depths of an emotional catastrophe, a wound that can never be healed.

 

It may not sound like a big deal to others, but for Adelle, it is. Initially, I thought that was the case, but what I'm witnessing right before my eyes has opened my mind to another possibility. Behind the guilt, sorrow, and frustration is fear. It's the fear of her own self, an abomination, her own existence, the fear of her own very blood circulating inside her. Once that fear strikes deep within her mind, it becomes a spiraling journey to the end.

 

If I were in Adelle's position, I would likely distance myself, considering the potential threat that I have become. It becomes a complex situation for both her and me. Adelle is undoubtedly a strong person, both physically and mentally, but the significant risk and its unpredictability cannot be ignored. Furthermore, she's also taking into account the added burden, considering I already have a multitude of them. For now, the twins were the least of my worries.

 

I held Adelle's wrist, capturing her attention. After gaining her focus, I calmly inhaled and exhaled through my nose. "Since when have you become this cowardly?" I said aloofly.

 

Adelle's eyes widened as her grip on me loosened.

 

Adelle can't stand drinking any blood other than mine. She has stated herself that the taste of other blood has become revolting and unbearable, to the point of making her vomit. Therefore, I have essentially become Adelle's main source of sustenance. Even if she were to run away, her unquenchable thirst for blood would instinctively lead her back to me, and the earlier incident would happen again—bounded by hunger.

 

Adelle's grim gaze softened as her shoulders dropped down. Tears formed in her eyes, and in a sudden burst of emotion, she raised her arm and balled up her hand, striking my solar plexus with force.

 

"Wait... S-Sorry... Eh? Buuugh—!" My life flashed before my eyes.

 

'I almost saw Pix again!' I gasped for air, clutching my stomach in agony.

 

"What was that for?!" I yelled, seeking an explanation.

 

Instead of answering, Adelle pressed her face against my shoulder, wrapping her arms around my back. The room fell silent once more, but this time, the atmosphere seemed gentler. I sighed exasperatedly and placed my hand behind her head, offering a comforting touch.

 

Unlike Adelle's tears, mine were from the aching pain left in my abdomen. 'It fucking hurts so much. But I guess that's her way of conveying her feelings. What a relief... Thank God.'

 

I stared blankly at the ceiling once again.

 

"You suck at cheering a person up," Adelle said.

 

"I-I, yeah, pretty much... Sorry about that..."

 

"Sorry."

 

"There's nothing to apologize for," I said. "I mean... If I could bang a beautiful woman like you with a cost like this? That's a fucking bargain, y'know?"

 

"Just shut up for once." Adelle buried her head against my chest.

 

Adelle snuggled further into my chest. "Sorry."

 

I gently patted her back. “Don’t be hard on yourself.”

 

Once upon a time, a lovely, kind old woman said to me, "God will never give us more than we can handle." Needless to say, as someone with limited time left, I didn't think much of it at the time. But it struck me deeply. Since then, I've questioned both the existence of God and my own purpose.

 

Does this thing called "God" truly exist? And if so, why? Why me? What is the purpose of my life? How can a kid like me handle such a burden?

 

But now, I think I finally understand the message of the old woman. In my remaining days, I've pinned myself down, believing I had already given up. But now I question if I had chosen a different path, would anything have changed? Would I have been happier if I at least did something, at least leaving the world with a smile on my face? Those questions will remain unanswered forever. A meaningless regret.

Editor : Zenon#4120

17