Chapter 162.
2k 3 82
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 162. An Assassin’s and Friend’s First Day of Work (8/9)

“I want my lawyer, get my lawyer immediately! What right did you have to unlawfully search my hotel room!”

“Yeah, yeah. You’ll get your corrupt dirtbag lawyer. We’ve got that asshole on speed dial. Hey, partner, take this jackass away.”

“Roger that.”

“Hey! Unhand me! Fuck off! Fuck! Fuck! FUCK! IT HURTS YOU FUCKER! GOD FUCKING DAMN IT!” He tried to break free, but the officer’s partner didn’t give him a single chance. He restrained him and dragged him out the door forcefully into an unmarked car in the parking lot. He was ruthlessly thrown into the back seat while trying to resist.

“Hahahaha… dumbass, resisting arrest? May as well tag that on too.” The officer chuckled to himself, completely satisfied with Jae-Sun’s reaction.

“Ahhhh, that felt so good. The look on his face was the best.” The officer said that on his way to the counter.

“Hey, kid, can ya ring me up for a pack of cigs?” The officer’s manner of speech and demeanor when he spoke to me was quite different compared to when he dealt with Jae-Sun.

“Sure,” I responded monotonously.

“Ah, by the way, everything ya just heard, ya can’t go around spilling it to anyone. Ya got that?”

“Of course.”

“You too little missy.”

“Mmm.” Alicia nodded despondently. The entire ordeal had left her mood in the gutter. The normal smile on her face wasn’t anywhere to be found. It was like a bucket of cold water had been dumped on top of her head.

“Haaaaaah.” The officer who saw her weak response let out a sigh. He took out a cigarette from the pack and lit it.

“Officer, you’re indoors, can you please refrain from smoking inside the store? You’re free to do so outside.”

“Come on. Don’t be such a stickler it’s freezing out there kid. Tell ya what, for the inconvenience, you can have this for all your troubles. You can keep the change that’s left over. It’s both a bribe to let me smoke inside and also for your ruined clothes.”

“Haaaah. I can’t keep that. It’s the hard-earned money you’re paid to keep the peace in our city. I’m just a little convenience store worker.”

“Just keep it punk. I’ll get it back as a work expense on the job if I file for it.”

He forcefully jammed it into my hand as he huffed out a trail of smoke from the corner of his mouth.

“Still kid… I’m surprised.” He picked up one of the bills from the counter and examined it carefully.

“I can’t even tell this is counterfeit at all. It has all the security features and everything. It’s amazing what criminals can do when they put their mind to it. No matter how many features are put in, they eventually find a way to make them look so authentic. How’d ya tell it was a counterfeit bill?” He started collecting all the bills that had scattered around the ground and floor for evidence.

“I didn’t know they were counterfeit at all. I was simply trying to pay for him since he was a celebrity. I thought I could get in his good books and work my way up if I somehow got lucky. That’s all.” In reality, the officer was correct. It truly was impossible to discern with just your eyes that these were counterfeit bills. As for why I knew they were counterfeit. It was because of Operation Supernova. His laptop had evidence of everything. I only found out afterward when I examined the files on the hard drive.

“Bullshit you didn’t know. I don’t buy it at all.” He jumped over the counter and collected all the counterfeit bills on the other side as well. Even the ones wet from the drink that had been spilled on me. 

“What makes you say that?”

He was silent for a while as he collected the remainder of the bills scattered everywhere. Once he had them all inside an evidence bag, he hopped back over the counter. He raised his hand up to the cigarette sticking out of his mouth and held it between two fingers to pull it away. He breathed out another long trail of smoke before he finally said, “My gut instinct.” 

“Your gut instinct is defective. You should have it checked out before it gets worse.”

“Hahahaha! Screw off, kid. My gut instinct has never been wrong before.”

“I still think you should get it checked out.”

“Kid, instead of working in this dead-end convenience store, why don’t you try to become a cop? The police need guys who have good eyes like you.” He puffed on his cigarette again and blew out.

“Good eyes? You’re overestimating me. I’m also too much of a coward for something like being a police officer who needs to confront so many dangerous situations. I’m satisfied with my peaceful life working in a convenience store.”

“A coward, you say? Cut the crap kid. Ya totally stood your ground in front of that jackass and didn’t bat an eye the entire time. I’m even certain you knew we were undercover cops from the moment we stepped in the door. The way you stopped this lady from slapping him was in case that jackass tried to claim she assaulted him, right? It wouldn’t be funny if she got dragged into things because of that, now would it? Ya also stopped her from even touching the counterfeit money and you yourself were very mindful when you received it to avoid getting your fingerprints on it in case it gets you tied to the money in some unexpected way.” Confident in his deduction, he blew out some more smoke.

“No, I simply didn’t retaliate or allow her to as this is our job. We can’t afford to lose it. If a big celebrity like him applies pressure to our manager or the store owner to fire us, we’d be done for. It had nothing to do with worrying about her or myself receiving an assault charge. As for the handling of the money, I just couldn’t open my hand, I was holding back my frustration because of how helpless I was in the situation. Again, I was simply acting out in a cowardly manner to protect my own livelihood and best interest.”

“Ya only know how to spout bullshit, kid. My bullshit radar has been goin off the chart with every single word that leaves ya mouth. I’m not an idiot, ya got a good head on ya shoulders, kid.”

“Your eyes are mistaken.”

“Anyway, I’ve got to go process that jackass celebrity now. Thanks for letting me enjoy my little victory smoke inside.” With one last puff, he put the cigarette out and turned away from the counter.

“Sir, did you want your receipt?”

“Ah. Shit, I need that for work to compensate me. Good save, kid. Thanks.”

He turned around and picked up the receipt I’d placed on the counter for him.

“See ya around, kid, if we ever meet again that is.”

“Thank you for shopping with us, please have a wonderful day, Officer Johnson.”

“Hahaha, a convenience store worker to the end, huh? You too, kid, have a better day than what you’re having, I guess.”

When the door closed behind him, I let out a long sigh of relief.

It seemed Operation Supernova was officially a giant success. It was a surprise that its completion happened right in front of me, but it was good to know things worked out. With this, Ms. Angel of Death would leave the city and never come back. The city would remain peaceful and avoid that troublesome event with her suicide.

“Ran… why are you not mad? Why can you remain so calm in that sort of situation? I’m… frustrated. I’m furious. I can’t stand it. I hate this so much.” Alicia asked in a low voice with her head lowered indignantly.

82