Chapter 6
804 6 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Up to chapter 10 is currently posted on Patreon.

The rest of the day was actually uneventful. Megan didn’t seem to think too much about my not-so-normal behaviour, but I think she chalked it up to stress or trauma, at least she didn’t mention anything.

As we arrived at home, Lumi spun around and looked straight into my eyes, like she was trying to figure out the meaning behind life, or maybe talk to my soul. I don’t know, she’s never looked at me like that before.

“Okay, Aria. Sit. We need to figure out why you go into ‘red eyes’ state, the lightning, and a few other things.”

I nod my head and skip over to the sofa. All giddy and happy at figuring out my newfound powers, or maybe awakened. Should I be terrified at the prospect? Probably? Am I? No. Which maybe should scare me in itself.

“Okay. First things first. Usually you only need to feed two or three times a week, but you already did that yesterday, and now you were on the verge of frenzy. Maybe using your powers drains your body, sort of like when someone does physical activity?”

I looked at Lumi, nodding my head along what she was saying. I’m not dumb, but she is way better at analysing than I am, and what she is saying makes sense.

Sitting on my knees in front of the sofa where Lumi is, I decide to test it out a little bit.

Thinking of the sensation I had earlier, I can feel lightning start to arc and slither across my arms.

Like with my emotional registry, I dive deep down and try to find where it is coming from, and what I find leaves me confused. It’s like the blood in my body is converting itself to pure energy, and in this case lightning. Is that subconsciously how I want to present my energy? I don’t know.

“Do you know what that is or how it works?”

I look at Lumi, then close my eyes and focus on the lightning. I can feel a connection to it, like it’s a living thing. Coaxing it like a pet, It slowly creeps up my arms and start spreading around my body, from my arms, to my torso, to my legs, and oh boy does it do things.

I can feel the muscles all across my body becoming more, explosive? Like I am feeding some sort of steroids into my already inhuman body. Opening my eyes and giving Lumi a grin, I move

The lightning integrating into my brain on it’s own, like it knows what I want. The entire world slows down, like it’s been put into stasis. Turning my head around I can see Lumi sitting in the exact same position, and the minute movement of her muscles that comes with almost any activity is slowed down to an absurd level. Like watching something move in ultra slow motion.

Walking? I don’t really know what I am doing, as I have never moved like this. Normally I sort of want my body to run at high speed, but now it’s like I’m not running, but at the same time I am. Grabbing a glass, and the carton of juice I fill it up, and ‘walk’ back towards Lumi.

Looking at the glass I can see no disruption in the surface, even though it should be juggling around, it’s like the glass is standing still in a room without any vibrations.

Placing the glass on the table in front of Lumi, I sit back down and grin to myself as the world resumes at a normal speed.

“So? Do yo-“

Lumi looks at the glass of juice, then at me, then the juice.

“Sort of? I am fairly certain I can use it offensively, like how I instinctively destroyed the cameras, but doing it on purpose? It’s almost like time stopped. I integrated the lightning into my body, and I could move like never before, my brain was overcharged, every fiber in my body was like having a shot of energy drink mixed with jet fuel mixed with steroids.”

Lumi is still looking between me and the glass, but I can tell she’s trying not to smile. Lumi doesn’t like to smile, even though I make her sometimes.

An idea pops into my head, and I focus on covering my arm in the small fuzzy arcs of lightning. I raise my hand towards Lumi, and motion with my head for her to touch it.

She looks at me sceptically, but she slowly moves her hand and touches it, only to immediately jolt her hand back.

“Did it hurt?” It shouldn’t, I can feel it not wanting to hurt Lumi, because I don’t want to.

She shakes her head and reaches out again, and the lightning jumps from my hand and over to hers, coiling and twisting around her fingers.

Lumi raises her hand to her face, and turns it around while inspecting the lightning.

“I do not think I can use it like you do, but I feel a faint connection, like it wants to protect me.”

I nod along, that’s sort of the same conclusion I came to, and that was my intention when giving her the lightning. Wow that’s something I thought I’d never say.

“It feels almost like a loyal dog. It feels alive, and I can feel a connection to it, and I can ask it to do simple things, sort of when you have a dog sit for food.”

Lumi takes on a contemplating expression, and I give her the time she needs. While it is my body, she has been doing most of the research on how I work.

“Aria. I think we also need to figure out why you go into that ‘red eyes’ state. Can you try to remember what happens when you enter that?”

I give Lumi a look. I don’t like that state, but she’s right. We have to figure it out, and I have to be able to control it, and not lose myself to rage.

“Do not worry, Aria. I am here.”

I give her a smile, and then lose my eyes and try to recall what has happened every time. The first time was when those men came, and when they started talking about how they wanted to hurt Lumi. Hurt what is mine. Hurt my *******. There is that word again. UnWOrthY WaSTE of SPaCe WaNTs to HUrT WhaT is MinE.

“Aria.”

NOBODY HURTS-

For the second time I feel Lumi’s lips on mine, and my mind calms. The rage recedes. At least that was partially successfull. I know what it is, how to enter battle-mode, because that is what it is. It also seems I can somehow fight it, but it feels wrong to fight it. It’s like it’s incomplete, it was forcefully awakened when it should come naturally, so it’s not how it is supposed to behave.

I shake my head as I give Lumi a smile.

“Did you figure something out?”

Oh I did, but…

“I did, but I will need some time to process. Can I tell you later?”

She gives me a worried look, but accepts my desicion. I can feel it. Having exposed our emotional link. I like this emotional link, it feels like we’re connected on a deeper level, and I wouldn’t want anyone but Lumi to be that person.

“Okay. The last thing we need to figure out is that frenzy state, but you said it is not truly frenzy?”

Hmm. How to explain.

“It is isn’t. Normally when I’m starving, I go for anyone, and I sort of lose myself to instincts. That happened now as well, but it was still me. I went solely for Megan, and you were able to talk to me, if it was frenzy that would not be possible, as I would uh.” I scratch my cheek and avert my gaze. “I would see you both as food, but I didn’t. There was something else, a word that keeps coming to mind, but it’s scrambled, I can’t understand it.”

“I see. I have an idea, but to test that I need you to cut me. Can you control your claws in your current state?”

My claws? Oh. That happened. I didn’t even know I had claws. Diving down into myself, I focus on my hands and anything I haven’t noticed before, and she’s right. They’re there. Lying hidden, but it doesn’t make sense. I can tell my claws are there, but they’re not there. They can’t possibly fit into my hands with the length I’m able to extend them to, but I can still feel them.

Focusing on my claws, I can feel them extending to their full length.

I open my eyes and look down, and on each of my nails there are thin curved claws extending for around 30 cm. I inspect them and bring them to each other, and I begin to understand. Even though they look so thin, so fragile, they are not. They feel sturdy, and I think I can cut through steel effortlessly. Especially if I use my strength, or lightning buff.

Retracting them to be just a few centimetres longer than my usual nails, I bring one to Lumi’s forearm. As I’m about to cut I have an idea, and I lower my head and lick the area I want to cut. If I’m right, Lumi shouldn’t feel this.

I gently drag a claw across, and a second later devils nectar is lining the edges. It doesn’t flood or run like I would expect it to, it’s just, there.

“Anything?”

I shake my head. Nothing. I can feel the normal attraction I have to Lumi’s blood, but nothing else.

“I thought as much.”

Thinking it was a failure, I’m about to stand up as her cut closes, when Lumi rises from the sofa. She gives me a look I don’t recognise, and then she slowly takes a step towards me.

Tilting my head in confusion, I’m about to ask what she’s doing, when Lumi places a leg on each side of my lap, and straddles me.

I can feel her body pressing against mine, and the heat from her mortal body.

Leaning towards my ear, she let’s out a hot breath before whispering. “I know you are there.”

I can feel my lips arch into a seductive grin, and as Lumi pulls her head back, I stare into her eyes.

 

“Hello little one.”

40