5 – Night of Festival
34 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Around the middle of summer, people in Denia celebrate a festival called "Wish Upon a Stars." Of course, Clara wouldn't waste this opportunity, it's her first festival after all. She dragged Rhino around to various food and game stalls.

"Here is your apple candy."

"Thank you."

Rhino looked at the little girl in surprise. Her tiny body was like a black hole that can absorb all of the food available in the world.

"How big is your stomach?"

"So rude. You see, there is a golden rule to not talk about weight in front of a girl. No wonder Rhino is still single."

"Guh! Why must you hurt me this way..."

"Rhino still has a~ lot to learn… ah, look!"

At that moment, Clara notices a man forcefully dragging a girl into the dark alley.

"Based on her appearance, no doubt she is a girl. Why don't you help her? Maybe she will fall in love with you," Clara suggested. 

"And based on her appearance, there is no doubt she is underage. Who do you think I am? Lolicon?"

"Nothing wrong with that. Consider it as an investment. When she grows up and becomes true beauty, she might still love you," Clara whispered like a devil. "Or do you choose to be single for the rest of your life?"

"... Fine. But don't get me wrong, I'm helping her out of good intentions and not with strange motives, is that clear?"

"Yeah, yeah. Rhino is a good person, after all."

After that, the two followed the suspicious person into the dark alley. Clara would say that the suspicious guy is quite young, maybe in his late teens. Yet, his body is very well built. Honestly, he doesn't look like a bad guy. But who knows, appearance can be deceiving sometimes.

"Please cooperate, miss, and answer my question."

"...."

He cornered the girl while asking various questions to her, but she kept silent. Could it be that she was so scared she couldn't speak?

At a time like this, if a prince riding a white horse comes and saves the princess, she most likely will fall in love. It deeply regrets that Rhino wasn't a prince, though.

Clara elbowed Rhino and gave him a sign to make a move. He nodded with an understanding smile… Did he really understand?

Rhino approached them with an unpleasant smile, then he said, "Oi, oi! What it is. A grown-up man forcefully dragged a little girl to the dark alley? Who are you? A lolicon?"

"Why do you speak like a hooligan! Stupid Rhino! You frightened the girl instead!" Clara facepalmed. 

Rhino stands awkwardly after getting scolded by Clara.

"It's hopeless. Rhino really has a lot to learn."

The suspect turned around after noticing their presence. He clicked his tongue in annoyance before he reached into his pocket and pulled out a badge with a certain symbol.

"I am Ford, Knight of the Special Forces, currently investigating a case. If you understand then leave already."

Clara and Rhino exchanged glances. The plot turns out to be very unexpected. In the first place, they were unable to ascertain whether his claims were true. Even if it is true, it is still morally wrong to drag a little girl into an alley.

Ford seems to be aware of their doubts and so he explained, "Hear me, this girl, isn't she very suspicious? I just want to ask her some questions but she keeps silent."

Because it's dark here, Clara is late to realize that the girl is indeed a bit suspicious. She is all red with red hair, a red mask, and a red cloak. However, it is still not enough of an excuse because, in this city, there are a lot of weirdos. This is the home of adventurers, after all.

If it continues like this they won't be able to go anywhere, so Clara tries to speak with the little girl instead.

"E-erm, hello. My name is Clara, what's your name?"

"...."

"Err, please answer or we wouldn't go anywhere."

After a long wait, a monotone answer finally comes out from that girl. 

"... Father forbade me to talk with strangers."

"Excuse me, nani da fak?"

Clara dumbfounded. Technically, it's the right thing to not talk with a stranger. But, but … sigh. Clara admitted this girl is strange. And based on her voice, she doesn't sound scared either.

"Listen. What you need to do is just answer some questions. Do you understand?"

"...."

Nope. She definitely doesn't understand. Clara can not decide whether she is stupid or innocent or maybe both.

Ford, the suspicious man, seems on the threshold of his patience. Clara didn't know what to do either. She would never have expected her joke to turn into such a troublesome situation

"So you are here."

At times like this, Clara feels relieved because a voice comes and breaks the stalemate. A black-suited man approaches them, or to be more precise, the girl in red. 

"Gentlemen, can you explain to me what is going on?" asked that man.

"... Who are you?"

"I'm Erick, this girl's father."

Rhino looks surprised after hearing his name.

"Is it possible that you are the current chairman of Adventurer Alliance?" Rhino asked.

"Yes, I am! … sorry. Sometimes there an urge from mine self to do something stupid."

Yup. If the Chairman itself is this weird, then you can imagine how weird the members are.

Besides, there's a little girl who resists the urge to punch him in the face after hearing his name. 

"So this bas*ard is the one behind unreasonable age restrictions!" Clara thought. Fortunately, her reasoning still prevails.

"I am Ford, Knight of Special Forces. Your daughter is suspicious so I want to interrogate her."

"Understood. We will fully cooperate. But before that, how about changing places first?" suggested Erick.

"Good, then follow me."

Clara, who got carried away, was about to follow them but got stopped by Rhino.

"It's not our business."

"Eh, yeah, right. Though it's shameful that the plan to find Rhino a partner has failed."

"From the beginning, it was not our goal. Regardless, don't I already have one? A partner I mean," Rhino teased Clara.

"I can't hear you! It's too dark in here!"

"Ahahaha."

After that, both of them go to meet Uncle and then return to the inn. It's a bit unfortunate because the mayor had ordered the residents to go to bed early. Clara couldn't help but have to end her tour early.

"By the way, what did those four eyes talk about back then?"

"Four eyes? Ah, do you mean Erick? Dunno. But something might happen."

"Agreed."

Before leaving, Erick had said, "Advice from me. Please sleep early today?"

Refuse to elaborate further.

Leaves.

That suggestion just happened to be the same as the mayor's order. Some sort of event might happen in this city. But, no matter what happens, it is not their problem.

****

At the small hill on the outskirts of Denia City, three figures roamed freely in the air.  All of them wore black clothes as if they were in mourning. They are the famous Grandmaster of Necromancer, The Friede Sisters.

"Sis, sis. Looks like they're trapped."

"Sis, sis. Do we need to lend a hand?"

"Sis, sis. Don't forget our promise to that man."

"Sis, sis. But at this rate, they won't make it out alive."

"Sis, sis. It's none of our business."

"Estarossa, what do you think?"

The three sisters switched their attention to a man nearly two meters tall who was sitting quietly, watching the night sky of Denia City.

"As for now, don't get involved."

The three sisters floating in the sky chuckled in unison.

"Estarossa..."

"Might you be…"

"Afraid?"

But contrary to their expectations, Estarossa replied straightforwardly, "Yes, I'm afraid. This city is full of old monsters."

The three sisters looked at each other then stared at the red tent in the distance.  Complicated expressions were plastered on their silky faces. They were ordered to assist a group of people to get out of this city, yet they were not permitted to interfere too much. What a contradiction.

"Wait and see." Estarossa lay down and then yawned. "As expected from Delta Greyhorn. Whether they can get out of the detective's trap or not is up to their own efforts."

"If the Hero says so..."

"Then we will obey."

"Hopefully they make it out alive."

2