Chapter 16: Domino, second piece falls
328 5 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It’s been a few days, Akito isn’t talking to me, Mia is missing from school and I haven’t heard from Aurora or Maya. Emma told me they left the city. Maya due to work and Aurora due to a family death. I don’t know why Emma knows, but they didn’t tell me, both of them have my number.

 

The day goes by normally, and I’m sitting in the cafeteria having lunch by myself when my bracelet rings. I plug in my earpiece and accept the call, I don’t recognise the number.

 

“Hello is this Rei Synomorphia?”

 

My full name? “Yes? Who is this?”

 

“Hi this is the City Hospital, we have a patient by the name of Mia Trovan. She has no next of kin in her database but you are listed under ‘girlfriend’, is this correct?”

 

Girlfriend? “Uh, sort of, why, is there anything wrong?”

 

“It would be better if you came down here. We’re trying to get a hold of her parents, but she’s been in an accident, the other party is here but we need someone to represent the patient.”

 

Me? I don’t have any connection towards Mia besides, hm. If she’s been in an accident and she doesn’t have anyone else, it’s fine I suppose. I like the girl, she’s fine. It seems sort of weird the hospital would ask me to come, isn’t there supposed to be patient confidentiality? I’m not her wife, nor family. Doesn’t matter, I suppose she needs me.

 

##

 

“Hi, are you Rei?”

 

I give the receptionist a nod. “We got your general description from the other party, you can find the doctor in room 208.”

 

I give the receptionist my thanks and make my way over to the room. Opening the door I see the doctor, then Mia, sleeping in a bed, and Luna.

 

My stomach churns, please don’t let this be what I think it is.

 

“Rei Synomorphia?” I give the man a nod. My mouth feels dry, and I’m having issues speaking. I have seen this exact scenario before, but with my mother, not Luna.

 

“The patient is in a coma. She was distracted by something and walked in front of Miss Reyinis’ car. She has multiple fractures in her skull and rest of her body, and we don’t know when she is waking up.”

 

There is something here that isn’t right. I feel bad for Mia, and this entire situation, but there’s something I have to find out. “Doctor, why are you telling me and that girl over there this? Isn’t there supposed to be some sort of confidentiality? Now if I were family, I could understand, but this entire procedure seems highly irregular?”

 

“That’s…” He looks over at Luna, and the last piece falls into place. She’s bribed the hospital, didn’t she? Why? Did she intentionally cause this?

 

“Doctor, why don’t you leave me and Rei here alone, I’m sure we have a lot to talk about.”

 

He leaves the door and I can feel the hatred and disgust flow through me in waves like an unrelenting ocean.

 

Luna just smiles at me. “You know Rei, this didn’t have to be so difficult. Why can’t you just come back to me? We are perfect for each other.”

 

Perfect? You? Me? No. Through gritted teeth I manage to speak. “You left me. I will never forgive you for what you did. You broke my trust. You jeopardised the one thing I loved equal to you. You will never have me back.”

 

Luna jumps down from the chair she’s sitting on, brushing her skirt and stalks over to me. I’m rooted in my place, there’s too much to process. Brushing my arm she whispers into my ear. “This is only the second piece, come back to me and I promise I will give you all the love and attention I didn’t back then, I didn’t know better.”

 

“Never.”

 

She sighs before kissing my cheek, I feel revulsion. I once loved this girl, but all my positive feelings are gone. Purring into my ear, she leaves me with her parting words. “Be mine and you will be free from your mother.”

 

Free from my mother? No, she can’t promise that.

11