The Green Cradle 17 – Clash of the Tyrants
512 8 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Noise and tension filled the air. The surrounding primati erupted into a frenzy as soon as they saw the strongest of their kind thrown into the water.

The nature of their kind was that should one of their own face danger, the entirety of the troupe would act to save or avenge their kin. Even Oneris, the wizened of the two Tyrants, appeared agitated and about ready to leap into the water.

The changeling had to think fast. The troupe seemed more focused on whether they should jump into the water rather than deal with the perpetrator of their anxiety, but soon they would all move.

The changeling could see it; despite having no means to properly swim and fight an enemy in the water, the solidarity of their kind is so strong, that if it meant sacrificing many of their own to save the greatest among them, they believe it would only guarantee the survivability of the majority of the troupe.

This mustn’t come to pass, was what the changeling thought. Even if it could eventually develop the ability to fire projectiles on its own, it wasn’t willing to go through so much trial and error when a perfect blueprint was right under its grasp.

Not to mention the Tyrants themselves were incredible treasure troves of genetic information. There was no way the changeling was willing to surrender such prime samples of superior gene data to the simple wiles of another Tyrant’s hunger.

Considering all the calculations and risks involved, the changeling had to make a bold decision. Technically, it could let all the primatus die, then afterwards it could simply take care of the other Tyrants. Then all of its problems would be solved. The problem was that this consensus interfered with its main drive and program; growth and preservation over eradication.

With all things considered, it chose to run to the shore ahead of the primati and dive into the water.

Surprised by the changeling’s action, the primati stopped and started bustling among themselves. They were confused as to why the challenger of their troupe dove into the water after their fallen leader while there was another threat.

Oneris made a series of calls to calm the troupe. Regardless of its size and girth, the creature moved with grace despite revealing having one lame leg as the primati in the lead made way for its passage. For now, it chose to observe. While it wanted to save its kin, the damage caused by three Tyrants fighting underwater would be catastrophic for any would-be rescuers. Despite their desires, it had to choose the best time to act.

As for the changeling, it believed its choice to dive in and save the black Tyrant would offer the most beneficial results. While it had saved other creatures in the past, it would normally only do so if it meant it would receive tangible benefits. This time, however, it was slightly different.

The benefits it would receive were mostly unclear. It still didn’t know how the primati would act even if it saved one of their own, but at the very least, it calculated that they would no longer remain hostile. However, as to whether it would be able to gain genetic samples without repercussions is another matter.

The risk involved also included having to fight another Tyrant, one whose abilities were far superior underwater. There was no risk of it drowning due to its constitution, but all this had to be done quickly before the black Tyrant runs out of breath. Not to mention it had to try and carry an over sixty-foot beast all while trying to learn how to swim.

With all these factors stacked against it, it was a wonder why the changeling chose to save the Tyrant even with its imperative programming. The reason? It simply wanted the black Tyrant’s blueprint and it was really annoyed that Gultrave was still being a headache. Despite all this, there was also another reason…

While in the water, the changeling formed pseudo-weblike membranes between its fingers and toes while growing a finned tail to help it maneuver. It also coated its eyes with a transparent film that allowed it to see clearer in the water.

Despite it being called a lagoon, the water was surprisingly quite deep. From the changeling’s calculations, it was deep enough to even house a pod of whales.

Not far from its position, it could see Gultrave circling the sinking form of the black beast. When put together side by side with another Tyrant, one can see that the black Tyrant’s form was truly quite imposing. Not even the crocodilian Tyrant’s jaws are a match to the thickness of the black one’s arms.

Unfortunately, the black beast was still unconscious and Gultrave’s circling was simply it being cautious. Probably thinking it didn’t have much to fear, the sarcodilus finally decided to take a bite out of the black primatus’ shoulder.

The reaction was instant as the black Tyrant had awakened.

Furious from the pain along with the beast latching onto it, it thrashed while pummeling the crocodilian beast’s back. Unfortunately, it seems that it couldn’t build enough momentum in the water for its strikes to deal enough damage as Gultrave appeared to easily weather its blows.

Soon, the beast’s struggle slowed as the lack of oxygen seemed to finally take its toll. Losing consciousness once more, Gultrave readied to deliver a fatal bite to the primatus’ neck but stopped when it sensed a familiar presence that was approaching.

It turned to see the changeling in its massive form quickly approaching them. For days, the sarcodilus had stalked this strange beast along with its small yet oddly composed pack and many times it was thwarted in its many attempts to ambush them. It had always ruled the waters in this region since as far as it could remember, wary of only the great black ape should it face it on land.

But then this creature came along unleashing its presence like a beacon as if it were issuing a challenge to all beasts within its path.

At first, it was cautious since no creature that wasn’t confident in its power would dare cause such provocation, but when it finally encountered it, it certainly didn’t expect to see such a small imp-like thing leading a couple of strange wolves and one of the wood-folk.

At that point, it became annoyed thinking it got fooled and tried to punish them, but it never imagined that the little creature’s power was true to some degree. In its life, not once had it encountered a powerful beast that came in such a small package.

Of course, this meant it had to face it seriously head on, but only within its domain in the water. The problem was that the little thing wouldn’t dare try to fight it and kept running away. What made it more frustrating was that the little beast kept sending out its signal like a constant irritating alarm, yet not once did it try to face it properly.

Its frustration eventually turned into obsession as it continued its chase due to the constant irritating blare of its presence as it continued to run. Eventually, the chase had to end when it realized its quarry’s group ended up trespassing on the black ape’s domain.

While it ruled the waters, the black ape ruled the land, so it didn’t dare approach further. It was annoyed that it couldn’t finish the little thing by its own terms, but it was glad that it finally had peace when the little creature finally shut off its alarming presence before the black ape.

This peace was then cut short when it sensed the blaring aura of challenge of not just this creature, but also that of the black ape.

Sensing their clash, it proceeded to observe their fight from the water across the shore. Suffice to say, the sarcodilus was shocked to see the little one’s change. Not only that, it was even more dazed to find out that the black ape had lost.

Now, here they were. The black ape was a threat to its dominion and a constant deterrent that kept it from being able to consume the others of its troupe, but the transforming beast before it was the source of all its frustration.

It knew that it possessed strength greater than the black ape, but the water was its domain. Now that it finally has a chance to properly face the beast, it will show its might as the true lord of the lagoon.

Oblivious to Gultrave’s thoughts, the changeling continued to move with caution as it neared. It swam as quickly as it could once it saw the sarcodilus bite onto the black Tyrant’s shoulder, but likely sensing its approach, Gultrave released it and became more wary of the changeling.

Gultrave began to circle it, likely waiting for an opportunity to strike. Not wanting to waste any time as it may lose the black Tyrant, the changeling closed its eyes and let its body simply drift in the water leaving itself wide open.

The sarcodilan Tyrant didn’t understand its actions, but it knew this was an opportunity it couldn’t pass. No matter what the changeling planned, Gultrave believed it would be faster and capable of weathering its attack. It would show that it’s a mistake to underestimate a Tyrant’s bite.

In a flash, Gultrave arrived at the changeling’s head and bit down. Instead of flesh, however, the sarcodilan only found a mouthful of water.

With the ability to alter its form, the changeling had shifted its head in a seemingly boneless manner to avoid the attack. Its head now extended from its neck as though it were a snake and coiled itself around Gultrave’s jaws. The rest of its body soon followed and had completely held onto the sarcodilus.

Stricken with panic, the Tyrant thrashed and rolled trying to shake off the changeling. It even swam into rocks smashing its body and dragged itself across the lakebed, yet the changeling wouldn’t let go.

Now that the changeling had a firm grip, there was only one method that would allow it to subdue the Tyrant quickly. Covered in extremely hard scales and likely resistant to toxins, the changeling decided to suffocate it through a choke hold.

With the changeling’s grip over its throat getting tighter, Gultrave thrashed even harder. Eventually, however, with no way to effectively dislodge the changeling, the Tyrant became incapacitated and lost consciousness.

This was the final reason why it chose to save the black primatus and face the reptilian Tyrant; it was confident it could win.

The changeling at this point really wanted to consume the sarcodilus for its gene data, but it unfortunately didn’t have enough time. Not to mention it didn’t have the reserved strength to hold onto two titanic beasts while swimming back to shore.

With bitterness, it let go of the sarcodilus’ immobile form and swam after the black Tyrant.

Having found it close to the bottom, it formed several makeshift tendrils from its two arms and lifted the beast. Its weight alone proved to be a challenge and confirmed it was the correct decision to release the other Tyrant.

The changeling needed to hurry, but their combined weight continued to prove to be a problem. In a reckless decision, it shifted its lower body using the bio information of the armatect’s projectile calculi firing mechanism, combined it with other potential genetic alterations, which eventually resulted in converting its lower half into something that could fire pressurized water.

It siphoned as much water as it could into its body until it swelled like a balloon. Increasing the pressure by compressing the water, the changeling continued until it could barely restrain the fluids. Once it could no longer contain it, it unleashed the torrent all at once.

While the result did provide propulsion, the changeling had sorely miscalculated the amount of energy that was expelled. Simply put, it had too much power.

Like a pressurized water cannon, the changeling and the Tyrant were instantly blasted out to the surface of the lagoon.

The onlookers immediately spotted them zooming across the sky leaving a trail of water. At first, gleeful calls and banter could be heard from the crowd, but as the two in the sky didn’t seem to slow down as they headed towards the onlookers, it quickly devolved into panicked screaming and yells.

Oneris cried out to get everyone out of the way while the little fae conjured a massive bed of leaves at the point of their trajectory, hoping to dampen as much of their fall as it could.

Like a massive furry meteorite, they crashed with a boom onto the leaf covered ground leaving a furrowed trail of green and hollowed earth.

Everyone rushed towards where the two landed. Once they arrived, what they found was a steaming mass of black fur half buried into a massive pile of rocks and dirt that was furrowed from its landing.

Soon, the mass stirred as an arm poked out from beneath. Lifting the black mass and placing it on its back, the changeling revealed itself from underneath the mass that was actually the black Tyrant.

Shaking off dirt and water, it knelt down thrusting its arm into the Tyrant’s chest. With a spasm, the Tyrant coughed and expelled all the water in its lungs then took a deep breath afterwards. As the changeling removed its hand and restored the wound, the Tyrant could be seen slowly breathing.

As the most urgent task has been accomplished, the changeling looked towards the others and found a bizarre scene.

All the primati had surrounded the changeling, including Oneris, the white Tyrant, and were bowing their heads before it.

***

While it's a funny prospect, no, I am not going into kingdom building.

32