The Green Cradle 31 – A Storm Before the Storm
684 13 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The changeling found it interesting.

As the old human’s eyes flared up with a shining blue glow, it could immediately tell that the human had somehow used mana for a visual ability.

As the human observed the changeling, the changeling in turn observed his actions, just as before. Now that it had a good look, it could see that the old human was much more proficient in manipulating the energy than any creature it had ever come across.

While other beasts were doing so instinctively, this human was somehow directly controlling the energy through his will. What was more surprising, was that this energy didn’t originate from the human himself, but rather from his surroundings. That the changeling could identify this was because while it lacked the ability to control the said mana, it was instead sensitive to its movement within itself and its vicinity.

Earlier, when the human showed it a moving image using soil similarly to when they first met when it was facing the black entity, it had showed what appeared to be a cylindrical object that gradually grew into an arm. Seeing how the human repeated it a few times, the changeling understood that he wanted to do something related to its stump.

The changeling at first thought to be wary, but then remembered that the human hadn’t given off any malice so far as well as having helped it before. Not to mention that there was an even bigger threat that was present.

Seeing no reason to be overly cautious since the injury was already fast healing, the changeling let the human observe it, which led to their current situation.

Looking at the human that was about to touch the stump, a sudden high-pitched roar sounded out along with a burst of wind from the red entity that was across them.

It seems that the red creature was about to recover much sooner.

The changeling’s eyes narrowed as it looked towards the wailing creature. The red cloud it was absorbing was beginning to thin.

It began to raise itself to challenge the creature once more, but a sudden strange yet familiar stimulus had caught its attention. It focused on the stimulus and looked towards its stump. It then noticed the human seemingly guiding something unseen.

At that moment, all its thoughts had ceased other than its focus on the stimulus it could feel. Somehow, the changeling could instinctively feel that this feeling was incredibly significant as well as beneficial towards itself.

This was the sensation it believed that could finally lead it to comprehending the mysterious energy known as mana.

As Jortus and the changeling were focused on their task, the others were making sure to draw the Niskari Lord’s attention.

“Take your positions!”

Loen instructed his men as he readied his rifle. From his coat pocket, he took out an intricate looking silver colored bullet and poured some liquid onto it. Closing his eyes, he then recited a chant as the bullet began to glow as he proceeded to load it onto his rifle.

The others with him carried large cases as they positioned themselves around the Niskari. From these cases, they took out large cylindrical objects with an opening on one end, and stakes on the other.

Bolragmal eyed their actions, but continued to absorb the remaining mist. Whatever these beings planned, it needed to finish its recovery. Only the [Fathomless One] before it warranted its true attention.

As its energies began to peak, the human at its front suddenly yelled out.

“Fire!”

Four simultaneous explosions sounded out as Loen’s party each fired from the cylindrical objects they wielded.

They were revealed to be portable cannons that each fired harpoons with blue crystal tips that flew towards each of the Niskari’s limbs.

Sensing something within those harpoons, Bolragmal wanted to avoid them but it couldn’t move in time due to its full attention having been directed towards the changeling.

Striking through, the harpoons latched onto its limbs and anchored the Niskari in place.

It tried to tear through the restraints, but a spell woven into the crystals flared as illuminated spell-rings formed over its limbs, sapping its strength.

The crystals dimmed as quickly as they shone, but a moment was all Loen needed.

Taking aim as he mounted his rifle, Loen fired as soon as the Niskari Lord was held in place. The bullet soared like a silvery bolt straight towards the Niskari.

Anger flared within Bolragmal as it let these mortals believe they can do whatever they want to it. With a surge of power, it ignited the remaining mist as an explosion sounded out just as the bullet was about to pierce its chest.

Loen and the others shielded themselves from the blast, but dust and smoke blinded them from confirming the state of their quarry.

Not waiting on the result, the black wolf charged into the dusty smoke guided by the winds of its white sibling.

The sound of metal echoed out as a silhouette was flung out from the dust veil.

It was the black wolf – all its scaled armor cracked and corroding.

Before the [corrosion] could spread any further, the scales were detached from its body as they were quickly eroded.

As the dust began to settle, it was finally revealed.

It couldn’t properly nourish itself into completion, but the resulting development was significant enough for the Niskari.

If its earlier form was a red featureless humanoid reptilian, then its current form could still be described as a red humanoid, but now its body was covered in numerous pores giving it the impression it was a man made of sponge.

The most eerie feature it had was that on its head where its face should be was only a gaping black void that seemed to suck in the space around it.

The creature “stared” at its hands and – after a sudden eruption of pressure – clenched its fists.

In truth, with its title as Virulent Lord of Corruption, Bolragmal embodied [corruption] rather than [corrosion]. Their power showed the greatest effect towards the mental and the nature of living beings, but through borrowing similar properties of certain [laws] such as that of its master, it was able to borrow the properties of [corrosion] and apply them to its [corruption].

But now, in order to survive and fulfill its purpose, it had sacrificed its rule over [corruption] and gave itself wholly to its master’s power. In the process, it no longer possesses the qualifications of a potential [Sovereign].

Instead, it chose to become an extension of its lord in order to bring all its corrosive powers to bear.

The wolf twins, the little green fae, and the three Tyrants could feel it. The thing before them was now a truly terrifying monster.

It turned to face them and – with a howl that seemed to quake the very air – charged forth.

Despite the sudden assault, Loen barely reacted in time ducking to the side. In the blink of an eye, the space where his head was earlier had an outstretched claw in its place.

Knowing he still wasn’t out of danger, Loen quickly pulled on a lever on his rifle which revealed an azure glowing crystal embedded in its body.

In a sudden surge of mana, the crystal expelled a tremendous amount of energy from the rifle with enough force to launch Loen like a spring.

With an unnatural twist of its neck, the Niskari turned towards where Loen launched himself and immediately gave chase.

“Don’t provoke it! It’s currently after me, so ready yourselves!”

Despite the risk of facing the Niksari Lord alone, Loen yelled out to the others to prepare their contingencies. He couldn’t rely on the beasts since the moment the Niskari changed, he could tell that they were paralyzed by an unnatural fear.

It was already taking all of his willpower to resist the [fear] being emitted by the creature, so it was to be expected that beasts, even Tyrants, wouldn’t be able to resist such a primal instinct being directly stimulated.

Or so he thought.

One of them was surprisingly able to resist the [fear] generated by the Niskari Lord and what was more surprising was that rather than fear, Loen could feel intense bloodlust that he believed could only be derived from extreme anger.

ROOOOAAAR

An ear-shattering roar followed by intense heavy pressure, Zamorg brought all its destructive powers to bear with a punch that gave one the impression it could shatter mountains with a single swing.

With its full attention on chasing down the human that almost ended it, the Niskari ran headfirst into the massive fist of the black Tyrant.

An intense shockwave resounded as the Niskari was blasted away with the force of a cannon, but despite this it was still able to catch the earth with its limbs leaving furrows as it tried to resist the force of the blow.

Like a machine, the Niskari Lord stood up and then turned to face Zamorg.

With a snort, the black Tyrant beat its chest in defiance and challenged the creature once again.

– - –

Elsewhere on the battlefield, as though oblivious to the fight taking place, the changeling continued to nurture its control over the energies and pathways as shown to it by the old mage.

Jortus was pale and drenched in sweat, but his expression showed that he was excited.

It’s close, the changeling could feel it. Just half a step away and it could finally unleash all of its power.

***

Hi, sorry for suddenly disappearing on ya'll.

Been terribly busy these past couple of months due to birthdays, reunions, a funeral, and a job interview, so I hardly had time to work on the novel. It didn't help that because of having to mentally go through so many things, I couldn't write the chapter the way I wanted.

Like, the story and the scenes are already in my head, but I couldn't find the right words to describe the situation. In other words, I wanted to expand my vocabulary so I could properly express in writing what's happening, but the right words just weren't coming to mind until now. In a sense, I guess it's the same as having writer's block.

Currently, it's up in the air if I got accepted for the new job and will know next week, but for now I've got time and will hopefully get some inspiration.

30