II Chapter 37 – Discovery (I)
745 2 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 I am somehow motivated today.

--

She turned back. "Seiyu was seen there for the last time, so keep an eye open.", Tsukiko said calmly before barking at someone else and Genevieve nodded her head and went to her assigned zone. Opening her map of the eastern Catacombs, she joined in on the many, many civilan men, woman as Shinobi that were together taking care of cleaning away the fallen buildings and debris next to the first buildings being reconstructed by earth style users who were working non-stop.
Once again she earned, an uncommonly large number of glances and whispers and continued on with ignoring them.

Getting to work, she raised and put a lot of debris aside right underneath the towers of ice that still towered above them, solemn pillars of proof about what happened while slowly, too slowly for natural Ice melting away.  

It looked so strange and so surreal in her eyes, in a moment of melancholy she found it hart to believe she still remembered the skylines, spaceships and drones that flew around in her own world and jet this village, the place she had spent a large part of her life in did not even  have a train. The only way of inner city public transport were the many rickshaws drawn by horses or people depending on if there was a company behind them, or it was just a single person doing the work similar to taxis.  

Her leg started to hurt when one of the people behind her shouted. "Survivors!" 

Almost immediately, people ran towards him, leaving whatever they were doing, and hurried towards where the survivors were supposed to be. She fought her way through the helpers and went down on her knees as she felt a strange liquid on her fingers that burned and a faintly familiar scent filled her nose.

"Aww, what the hell is that?" Someone said next to her, and she grabbed their hands smelling it again, this, it was strange but familiar scent but not from this world, at least she was certain she hadn't smelled it in ages. 

"Formaldehyde." She muttered. "I didn't even know this existed here." 

But what was something like Formaldehyde doing here, she could imagine it at the hospital, the morgue, maybe a lab but why at a place like this?

"Form...what?", someone asked next to her. 

"That biting scent, it should be Formaldehyde, a chemical liquid it causes skin irritation, but it is also known for being used for preservation of body parts or scientific stuff. Burns pretty well." She told the guy next to her. 

"Wait, this is a civilian quarter of the city, what should stuff like this be doing here?" 

"How am I supposed to know, it's just I know the stuff." She said and remembered one of the Apprentice doctors say that it tasted terrible among other things, the woman later went to pathology. "It tastes like really bad, apparently." 

"Huh." 

"Holy..." Someone screamed and got everyone's attention. "What is this shit." 

Gene fought herself through the spectators and saw something quite disturbing. "An eyeball." She said, and everyone looked at her. "That's an eyeball preserved in formaldehyde, that's what the stuff is used for." She told them and everyone shuddered. It was not every day someone found stuff like this. "Is there a lab or something else here?" She asked around and opened the map Tsukiko had given her, finding exactly nothing that was supposed to be here. And earned helpless shakes of the head before she shuddered again, getting a real bad feeling in the pit of her stomach. The catacombs underneath Konoha had been investigated after the Danzo incident but no one knew exactly how big they were or what else was hidden underneath the village, a lab tough was a difficult thing to hide.  

But a lab using stuff Formaldehyde in a place that didn't even have Trains? This was scientific stuff a bit above Konoha standard. 

"Well, who cares there is a survivor here, we need to lift off the debris and go looking for them before they die us away under our noses. 

"Think so." She said. "But be careful, this is flammable." 

"Then we will be careful, Yuki girl, can you lift this with your Ice?" She nodded and made a few Hand signs. 

"Be careful and keep an eye open, I don't know if I am destabilizing anything important." She told them before she had them lifting. 

[Ice Release: Ice pillars]

Pillars of ice formed underneath the debris and moved the big pieces upwards lifting them on and the others started to move, getting away of the debris as the things underneath the rubbish were making Gene's stomach turn.
Death children, or at least it looked like it had been children at one distant point in the past, they were too thin, mangled up pale looking bodies, some weren't even bodies anymore but humanish looking lumps of skin colored flesh carrying back signs and patterns all over them. Some parts simply looked wrong on their bodies at the spots they were, others had one elbow too much or were carrying eyes on the wrong spots.  

"What the hell is this." One of the people said, and she agreed, gagging a bit, what the hell was that. 

"Over there." The Shinobi from earlier said, and Gene nodded, lifting even more debris with her Ice pillars and an ample amount of Chakra. Panting a bit and with her leg hurting again, she nodded at the Shinobi, who made a spurt for whatever was underneath before letting out a shout and hurrying back outside. 

"This part did not collapse, seems stable too!" He said but was deathly pale. "But gods, the sight."  

"By the stars..." She muttered at seeing things she only knew from her past life and even then...this...this was on another level. 

 

30