III Chapter 32 – State of things
352 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dodging their pursuers, they walked through the streets with granny. The old woman was knowledgeable about every corner and every alley of Kiri and under Henge except for her blue eyes the two of them looked like average commoners with non saying faces.

The situation among normal people was devastating to say the least. They were emaciated, a lot of them wore threadbare clothing, and there were children in rags hushing through the alleys. 

Sometimes they encountered a Shinobi, most of them with bleak, unfeeling eyes, giving off an eery feeling. 

"Many of those who knew mercy and compassion left to be missing-nin." Granny explained, hushing them to make way for a small group of lavishly dressed people. "Those that remained....you are seeing it yourself." 

"This is horrible." Gene muttered, and an uncomfortable thought came to her. "What about the Caste system, I am assuming it got worse as well." 

"Worse.....wish it was only that." The elderly snorted. "By now even the upper caste is struggling not to imagine the lower ones, those still walking the streets, are second or even first class." 

"That means the lower ones are....?" She pointed at a ragged woman who passed through a side alley with a wild expression.

"Yes. Slums, Orphans, there is a reason so many Shinobi deserted, even the six tails did so." She shrugs her shoulders. "The six tails Jinchuuriki was the only one who could have done something against the current Kage, but he did nothing, a cowards actions. Shinobi should not run from conflict."  The sheer contempt bleeding through her words was enough to make both of them look at her twice. 

"It's fine granny." Gene hugged the old woman. "We find a way, no worries." She muttered and looked again at the state of the village. "This is not the Kiri I remember."

"How little Fuyu, the current Kage is a Jinchuuriki, an experienced Shinobi with a Bijuu inside him. Many may not know what that means, but I do, normal Shinobi no matter how powerful do not stand a chance. Maybe another Kage or Jinchuuriki would, but you are Chuunin, and I am assuming you're to Uchiha-san." 

Shisui shook his head. "I am Jonin." He said, and the woman nodded as if approving before letting out a sign. 

"But not a Kage." She said before continuing leading them ahead. The stores that should be here, she remembered the bustling times, when storekeeper shouted out their prices and others announced their goods. Now it all lay hidden, hidden and gone beneath the depressing mood and the mists that named the village. 

No wonder, the Mizukage was willing to have talks with the Fire Daimyo and Konoha. The economic situation in the mist be disastrous if things were looking like that on main shopping street. 

"Does the Mizukage not understand that it is commoners that feed, clothe and provide living space for his man. Without them, a village cannot survive." Gene muttered and in front of them the granny chuckled. 

"You sound like your father, he always said the same thing. I believe by now all those high and mighty are starting to learn that lesson, but they are doing so the hard way, look. 

Shisui went up to look at the grain prices and started to cough. "20 Ryo for a kilo of flour?" He asked, shocked, and pointed at the price shield. 

"Yes, and that is pretty good too. Shopkeeper." She called. "Three kilos please." Shisui stared at her and took out his purse.

"I pay, this is daylight robbery, in Konoha they would stone any shopkeeper who demands such prices." He said putting the Ryo into the Shopkeepers hands who then gave them their goods. 

"Yes, maybe, but here it is considered a good price."Was explained to him. Gene shook her head in disbelieve. This was....

Suddenly, Shisui grabbed a spender small hand and grumbled, holding up his hand. "Give it back." It was a small boy with a dirty face who glared at him defying before he tried to tear away his arm. As that did not work he glared at Shisui and Gene's eyes widened as she saw a flare of chakra on his skin that burned Shisuis hand. 

Her friend flinched a bit and the boy not unaware of it used the second to make a dash for it, leaving Shisui who stared at his hand.

"That was pretty good for a brat." He said. "But he will not come far with fifty Ryo." He noted and Gene nodded, if prices were like that then he truly would not get very far. 

"Fifty Ryo is a fortune for a boy like this." Granny said and signed. "Thank you for letting the boy off so easily, I know it would have been no challenge for you to catch him." 

"No worries, fifty Ryo is not a lot to me, I can stomach the loss of them." He said before looking at the street. "I have a feeling they do more good in the little boys hands anyway." 

"That remains to be seen. From what I see, he will apply to the Academy only to get himself killed. It would mean good food and a roof over his head, at least until the final exams." She noted dryly. 

The atmosphere grew heavy again as they silently walked back to the grannies store. Gene, carrying the flour with her, feeling it was so little for 60 Ryo. 

 

13