The Scam (2)
1.2k 4 69
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Read 60 advance chapters and support the novel @

Patre on.com/Fanharem

***

There were a few hurdles that Ja Sun had to measure and overcome before he could successfully pull the scam. Redstar had provided more than enough, for a reason yet unknown. But this allowed Ja Sun to push for more. A scam's true value lies in the net profit itself which can be increased by lowering the value of goods offered and increasing the quality and quantity of the goods obtained. The information from Redstar was already being considered part of the mission since it has a monetary value.

But for a Spirit Bone, Ja Sun wanted a similar 'item' in return. The information provided to him had no manner of verification which did lower its value but Redstar did not know that his clone was in return making a deal with Ja Sun's clone instead of the real one. The total value on the clone was only worth a few hundred gold coins so even if the clone is destroyed, Ja Sun wouldn't lose much.

Redstar has shown the ability to contact the outside world and use his spirit skills within the Slaughter City, something Ja Sun's clone lacked. He could use spirit energy but not spirit rings or spirit bones. Even the mental energy was greatly suppressed. This was also shown by Redstar's blood vortex ability that helps him smuggle spirit masters in and out of the city. But this also gave Ja Sun the hope to find the weakness of the city. If there is one weakness, then there is no reason to think that there cannot be another.

But the greatest hurdle lied in the fact that even to provide the counterfeit, Ja Sun had no way of contacting his clone physically.

---

"A 100000-year-old Spirit Bone?" Redstar frowned.

"Torso bone is simply the most valuable part of the set. Information left unverified is good as useless. The chances of me surviving the situation aren't too great, too. I want something substantial in return. Since I cannot use the spirit bones inside the Slaughter City, I want you to provide these items to Ah Yin instead."

"At the moment, I don't have any spirit bones in 'stock.' Or to be precise, I don't stock spirit bones. Individuals who tend to find the spirit bones with affinity to one's martial soul are rare as it doesn't matter to others largely."

"Two Spirit Bones belonging to feline species above 90000-years in cultivation or a single 100000-year-old Spirit Bone of any kind. If it is useful, I will make the transaction."

"How will you make contact with your lover?" Redstar questioned.

"You said it yourself. We're lovers so naturally our love transcends any restriction in the continent. Why are you interested in my methods for? You want the spirit bone, so do I. I need spirit bones of these qualities if you want Ground Devil's spirit bone."

Redstar pursed his lips and fell into a deep thought. Spirit Bones are rare. And even being the leader of one of the strongest unorthodox factions of the continent didn't bring him the privilege to bring out spirit bones.

"Your real self can just go and kill a 100000-year-old beast and bring me the spirit bone. Or, we can step out and I will summon a spirit beast for you strong enough. You do know a little about my second martial soul, yes?"

"I feel giddy every time I see Qian Xunji's ruined face so yes, I do know and have admired your work," Redstar smiled, "But that would increase the value of my spirit bone. You're trading a spirit bone already hunted in return for making me hunt a spirit bone. It is different from the base level."

"Price is relative. The transaction began from your need to notify Bibi Dong about certain matters. As you said, you don't have enough time within the Slaughter City, and staying within the city as an illegal immigrant is far beneficial because it keeps me from the watchful eyes of the ruler of this location. Me stepping out will ruin this benefit in itself so I am sacrificing quite a bit.

Not only that, informing Bibi Dong of her past is the same as completely breaking off from the Spirit Hall. The price is fair."

"And I say it is not," Redstar smiled, "You can always enter the Slaughter City. In fact, entering the city based on your master's recommendation has its advantages, too. He knows about your identity for quite a while but remained quiet and instead imparted you with inheritances. And the chances of you surviving this location has nothing to do with your method of immigration.

However, I think it is fair that while Qian Daoliu may not give up on you just because you inform Bibi Dong of her heritage since Angel Douluo himself has had his doubts for a while, the Seraphim Douluo Qian Xunji will... well, destroy all faces and will be efficient and quick in finding you."

Redstar stroked his chin, "What are the spirit beasts you can summon?"

"Why don't I keep it as a surprise?" Ja Sun smiled, "At the beginning, you said that aside from Master and individuals at his level, there are no other matches for you. Even Supreme Pontiff mainly holds a reign on you and nothing more. So whomever I summon will surely be weaker than you."

Redstar smiled, "You flatter me, but it would be useless in the end. Effort spent will definitely be counted in the total cost of the spirit bone."

"What if we change the base? Instead of a 100000-year-old bone, tame a spirit beast of equal cultivation instead."

"What?"

"I mean any spirit beast. History states that there are spirit beasts without any combat potential. Bring me any Spirit Beast above the level of 100000 years."

"Pfft," Redstar chuckled, "A spirit beast represents a crimson spirit ring and a spirit bone of equal level. Its lack of combat potential does not mean that the spirit ring and bone gained will be similar, too."

"But I can bring you a child of the spirit beast who has reached that level of strength," Redstar proposed.

"And how will stay alive until the beast reaches its full potential?" Ja Sun shook his head.

He purposely led the negotiations to a stalemate to allow the real body to think of better ways to gain advantages. Anyway, the trade must be completed within 24 hours.

"Alright, I suppose I could give a bit of leeway. Let me see the list of spirit masters under your control and the spirit bones they have absorbed."

Redstar flipped his palm and materialized a bloody scroll. Tossing the scroll towards Ja Sun, Redstar patiently waited while he began to go through the list.

While he went through it, Ja Sun began asking a few questions, "So you can lie to Qian Xunji about anything that takes place here?"

"More or less. I'm the clone and am different from Redstar while affected by the sheer killing intent in the location," Redstar smiled.

"What would happen if I want to leave the location now but not return to the Spirit Hall?"

"As long as Qian Xunji doesn't ask me specifically, that knowledge will be mine to hold."

"Alright. I will be fair now," Ja Sun smiled, "But since there is a lack of trust and we can only hold a peaceful conversation because of our... like-minded nature, I will trade a..."

Ja Sun listed the few odd spirit bones below the rank of 10000 years alongside a 100000-year-old bone. The fact that he had two pieces of the same spirit bone surprised Redstar. This set of spirit bones couldn't be fused and it lacked in quality, too. This was only fit for trading for something better. Ja Sun also had an 8000-year-old spirit bone which he got by trading it with Liu Erlong. So, for a total of five spirit bones, Ja Sun demanded four in return. All of them above the age of 50000.

For Redstar, it meant losing four valuable members and preparing a trustworthy explanation for Qian Xunji. But the fact that he could get a 100000-year-old bone made it easier for Redstar to ease his pain.

Just like a crimson spirit ring, a 100000-year-old spirit bone utilized an extremely low volume of spirit energy in return for miraculous abilities. If there was a chance that one of these abilities can help Redstar's situation, he wanted to take the risk.

Ja Sun, too, was happy to muddle the pot with real goods and counterfeit.

"Hmm, it will take my real body three days to prepare all of it," Redstar nodded.

He had agreed to complete the trade himself instead of 'Ah Yin' and simply decided to leave the Slaughter City for a while. He had come to a great understanding of this location in the coming three days and he felt how constantly accommodating someone from the outside world was constantly drawing from the clone's strength and lowering his potential.

---

These three days marked a few changes. First, Xie Xan left the Spirit City alone in one particular direction after understanding what he must do to enter the Slaughter City. With only seven members left, Bibi Dong postponed her other duties and spent the entirety of her time training and sparring with her teammates, using the time to form battle plans for the competition. Just because two of their heavy hitters had left didn't mean they couldn't take part.

Finally, two distinct robberies took place within an influential clan. The Slaughter City was close to the Clear Sky Clan's base of operation so the clans hit by the robbery were two of the lower class clans not enough to be called direct subsidiaries like the four attribute clans.

Finally, a Spirit Emperor of the reclusive Wind Sword Sect, a Spirit King from the Elephant Armored Clan, a Spirit Emperor from the Branch family of the Hell Civet Clan, and a Spirit Ancestor from the Blue Lightning Tyrant Dragon Clan was found missing. All these members were unremarkable in their clans despite having a bit of fame. Their skills were ordinary and they were never known to have any extraordinary treasures.

Ja Sun specifically chose these four clans and sects.

The Wind Sword Sect ranked seventh and amongst the top seven sects of the continent and was reclusive. Its members were not known to the continent and it did not participate in political endeavors.

The Elephant Armored Clan survived a Civil Strike within its own members and the situation was turbulent only until a few months ago. The sudden loss of an older member of the generation with weaker strength was regrettable but they were wholeheartedly focused on making gains during the competition and thus focused on the younger generation. The investigation regarding this matter would fall short quite easily.

The Branch Family of the Hell Civet Clan and the Blue Lightning Tyrant Dragon Clan were not exclusive and the news would not be shared to the continent with the investigation taking place by their own internal departments of justice.

The end of the third day marked the beginning of Regional Competition in the entire continent.

By the end of the third day, Xie Xan showed the Supreme Pontiff's Token to a particular bartender in the Slaughter City, and on that day, a satisfied Ja Sun returned after conducting a few heists to make sure that the information from Redstar holds some value.

Finally, a strange pressure descended over the city while a red portal formed of blood appeared in the outskirts of the barren, mountainous land from where appeared two figures.

A tanned youth with a bulky physique and a red-haired man with frighteningly pale skin.

Ja Sun had failed the mission the first time, but it meant nothing to him. There were no rewards specified so he simply created the mission once again. He's the mission maker, after all. Just because he had to wait three days didn't mean that he couldn't create the same mission when the time is right.

"This is it for me, Ja Sun. I enjoyed chatting with you about the possibilities I could have achieved to avert his death. Goodbye," The clone smiled as he slowly dispersed into red ash when an equally frivolous tone chuckled.

"And here I am again."

Ja Sun turned around and found Redstar in front of him. But this one was different. He was stronger and more intimidating and even wore crimson armor. Ja Sun was surprised to see Lou Gao's name inscribed on the armor's surface but this only inspired him.

Ja Sun nodded calmly and took a deep breath to stabilize his condition. He wasn't whole yet but his mental energy was still sufficient to contain his composure from falling apart under the clear pressure he was strong enough to feel.

"I cannot stay to chat. Every second counts for me so if possible, I would like to conduct our business and leave."

Nodding, Ja Sun clapped his hand.

Surprising Redstar was the sight of one particular Blue Silver Grass growing and taking the shape of a robed human who kept her face hidden but her blue locks through the hooded robe gave away her identity.

"Ah Yin, Qian Daoliu's second disciple. How very pleased I am to meet you." Redstar smiled but ignoring him, Ah Yin held Ja Sun's hand with care and spoke softly, "Are you alright?"

"I am, now," Ja Sun grinned and Ah Yin nodded. Her face still hidden for the most part.

"Please show me the goods," Ja Sun looked at the man who nodded with an annoyed huff, clearly not enjoying being ignored.

Waving his hand, four spirit bones appeared in front of him. Their spirit energy was contained to not startle surrounding spirit masters. Observing them, Ja Sun nodded in satisfaction.

"Your turn," Redstar smiled.

Giving Ah Yin a look, she snapped her fingers and took out a spirit bone piece by piece. Every single spirit bone was authentic.

8000-year-old Shadow Leopard's Right Leg bone.

8000-year-old Gentle Moray Left Leg Spirit Bone.

Two 6000-year-old Cyan Wolf Left Arm Bones.

Seeing them in person, Redstar's eyelids twitched. His clone had inquired about this in many forms but all answers boiled down to luck.

And finally.

Redstar looked eagerly at the dark golden vertebrae. Feeling its breath and quality even made Redstar's crimson eyes glow.

"Good," Redstar narrowed his eyes as he sent the four spirit bones towards the couple while Ah Yin and Ja Sun tossed a spirit bone each towards Redstar until the Golden 100000-year-old bone. Holding the Spirit Bone, Redstar felt weird for some reason. He glanced at Ja Sun, feeling ominous but again, he couldn't verify his emotions. Maybe it was the seal on him acting again, Redstar wondered but there was no denying the quality of the spirit bone.

"I will make sure to explain everything to Bibi Dong," Ja Sun spoke up.

"What do you mean?" Ah Yin inquired in a whisper as he shook his head.

"I do not know what you're talking about," Redstar chuckled dryly before storing the spirit bone and creating a bloody vortex, and entering the location.

The moment Redstar left, Ah Yin exhaled deeply and grew silent. She felt weak, too. So did Ja Sun. Their color instantly turned pale and their dry clothes were revealed to be completely drenched for some reason. Such a drastic change was a sudden one. The duo hurriedly left for the nearest thicket as Ja Sun... and Ja Sun began to cackle in excitement.

"We did it!" Ah Yin's voice grew masculine. Her blue locks were now dark and her fair skin, too, grew brown and tanned.

Removing the hood, Ja Sun revealed the only thing that couldn't be disguised. His eyes. Green-gold.

Redstar's reaction finally confirmed Ja Sun's speculation that his mental energy when enhanced by three realms was too drastic and unnerving. The Rank 97 Spirit Master could not fathom such an enhancement and was... scammed.

In fact, for unknown reasons, Redstar had been good to him but after hearing his story, Ja Sun dare not trust the man. To him, it was better to gain benefits and disappear.

Ja Sun finally looked at his clone. The duo had held each other's hand to connect their mental energy for god forbid should Ah Yin grow so caring in front of others.

"Redstar may try to turn on us against Qian Xunji. Infiltrate the Spirit City and keep an eye open. I will tackle Slaughter City till then."

The main and the clone formed plans. This time, Ja Sun did hand his clone the Sight of Immortal and made his way towards the Slaughter City.

Meanwhile, the clone began to travel towards the Spirit City.

In reality, the two of them were one and the same. It was because of the Death Astral Combatant inside the Clone. On the way, the clone killed a few spirit beasts and devoured their mental energy using Death Astral Combatant, a feat that the original body of Ja Sun cannot achieve due to the balance brought by the Life-Death Spirit Cauldron.

---

Within a simple hut in a deserted location sat Redstar. Due to the operation of the Hint of Evil, he did not have a base of operation. He personally contacted the individuals carrying out the various missions.

With a relieved sigh, he sent his mental and spirit energy within his storage ring and his expression changed instantly.

Five spirit bones appeared in front of him.

Four of them still looked the same as he had taken but the last one... was a simple spine of a beast. Redstar's expression changed constantly as he continued to examine the spirit bone. Anger temporarily clouded his judgment as his spirit energy exploded out with a great intent of bloodlust. An image of a crimson bat with nine pairs of wings appeared behind him and his eyes turned entirely crimson.

Blinking, Redstar instantly snapped out of this state. Although angry and the gloomy expression on his face only deepening, the man disappeared and returned to the outskirts of the Slaughter City but there was no one else. Everyone was killed on the surface and Redstar instantly understood either Ja Sun had returned to the Spirit Hall or he entered Slaughter City.

'First... Ah Yin can turn into plants without my notice of her presence and now this...'

Redstar indeed had been good and informative to Ja Sun for a particular reason. But this act of treachery had instantly made Redstar reconsider his opinion on Ja Sun. In fact, he was now beginning to realize the thought behind Qian Xunji to hurt Ja Sun.

'But... Slaughter King is equally ravenous.' Redstar held a cold smile. There was a reason he could only keep such a small portion of strength inside the Slaughter City for all his affinity with blood.

---

[Objective: Successfully Scam Redstar Douluo.

Mission Rank: S

Mission Rewards: Blood Egg

Time Limit: 24 Hours]

Surrounded by killers of the simplest kind, Ja Sun silently stared at the crimson egg with golden markings on its surface with a bleak expression.

69