Chapter 13: Rank rush
155 6 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Long story short, punchew dared me to use an anime cover for the novel, and so I did. I will or will not keep this cover, depending on the situation.

 

Mai woke up to see her fully grown carrots making a whole piece of land orange colored.

The girl planted new seeds after harvesting all the carrots. This time half of the plots are carrots, and the other half is a variety of vegetables and herbs since she wanted to try new recipes.

Hmm… now, I guess I will be back to the guild and do some more quests, also taking a look at this gun stuff.

 


 

“Oh hi, Katheryne. Do you know where to get a gun usage permit?” Asked Mai as she walked into the guild’s building.

“If you are asking.” The morning-shift receptionist showed Mai a map of the city. “We are currently here. The building where you can get it is over here. It is newly built, so you can easily spot it.”

“Okay thanks, and I’m taking this quest.”

“Fine, give me your card.”

 

The girl navigated through the city and arrived at a building that looked pretty in contrast to the city. The building architecture was like that of the 21st century, half a century ahead of the surroundings.

Mai walked in after a minute of questioning by the guards, and then she was led to a room with a man and some paperwork.

“Take a seat here, please.” The man said

The girl sat down and said a bit of hello.

“Okay, you’re an adventurer, right? Then it will be faster.”

“Why though?” Mai asked.

“We’ve made some contact with the European adventurers’ guild since we thought that the adventurers are interested in using this kind of weapon. However, as you may know already, only a handful of them came.”

“Hmm, I’m just curious, but when were firearms recognized here?”

“You’re a foreigner, so you might not know. Anyway, for some history, countries in Europe formed and collapsed. One time, a Portuguese explorer found a new continent on the other side of the globe, but a country called the United States already existed, and their technology was mysteriously advanced. After that, the Soviet Union formed, and they closed their borders and acted aggressive, so the US brought some of their weapons here since the two countries didn’t have a good relationship. However, we Europeans didn’t really trust that US guy and formed our own neutral alliance.”

“Interesting, so can you tell more about the gun usage permit?”

“As I just said, we formed our alliance, and the gun control system is to ensure that these dangerous weapons are used correctly. The gun usage permit allows you to legally buy, carry, and use them as long as you follow the law in the European Union.”

“Thanks, that’s all I want to ask for now. So, can I get the permit?”

“Yes, just some questions, training, and the test.”

“Oh, I know how to use guns, so can I go straight to the test?”

“You can.”

 


 

“Okay, so this is the firing range. You want to use fake or real guns for the test?” An instructor said.

“Real ones.” She said. I’m more familiar with them anyway.

Then she is given a pistol and briefed about gun safety. Mai chuckled a bit because of the useless rules. The nature of her job makes her never turn off the safety, and she aims the weapon towards the slightest movement.

Mai received the pistol and hit every bullseye without difficulties.

The instructor looked at her with disbelief and gave her other type of guns to shoot, but they were still a piece of cake to the former special agent and the minimalist girl who valued every single bullet.

 

“Impressive, perfect score. Well then, we will begin making the permit for you. Please come here again in two weeks.”

 


 

Mai decided that she wanted to get to C-rank as fast as possible to explore the dungeons since she heard those places have good loot and also some past relics which she was interested in.

She ran back and forth from the forest to the guild many times that day to effectively complete many quests.

The tenth time she entered the guild building, everybody inside gave her a speechless look, but she didn’t care.

That day, Mai completed a total of 25 quests and quickly passed the rank-up test to become D-ranked.

Well, I’m doing quite good… Maybe staying up a bit late won’t hurt… Mai thought.

Unfortunately, she was determined to get to C-ranked, and the road towards that was significantly longer than the two previous ranks.

Both Nadia and Katheryne looked at Mai running in and out of the guild’s building with worry, but the girl was too focused to the point that one time she fell asleep on the building’s floor as she entered, and Nadia had to pull her into the staff room’s bed.

 

“Mai… uh… what in the world are you trying to do actually?” Said Nadia, who was next to Mai as she woke up on the bed.

Mai sat up and felt a severe headache. “Huh…? Where’s this? I remember trying to force my way to C-rank, and I was halfway there.”

“I don’t even know why you would want to do that. You just collapsed on the guild’s floor yesterday after staying up for five days straight.”

“That long? I’ve never thought that I could do that. Maybe that good uncle Ho grandchild Minh can pull that off. I was only planning to skip a night.”

“Well, you skipped a few days instead of a night. And look at your eyes!”

“No thanks, maybe I’m heading home for now.” Mai tried to stand up, but the headache made her vision blurry, and she couldn’t walk properly.

Nadia held Mai’s hand and pulled her back to bed. “No, you’re not going anywhere in that state. Just stay here for now.”

Mai was forced to lie down, but she immediately fell asleep again as the tiredness returned.

“I’m amazed.” Commented Nadia.

 

So to continue, what do you think is the better cover?

https://discord.gg/kkE3nyn9bW

Vote please
  • The deforestation one (old) Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Viet Cong anime girl (current) Votes: 7 77.8%
Total voters: 9
5