10.Black clouds, white lotus
87 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Even though the storm calmed down, the crowd did not. Some people were panicking and trying to get away from the epicenter, some others banded in groups and tried to calm the panicked ones down, yet some others wanted to see what happened in the arena and were pressing in the opposite direction to the ones who were trying to leave. Zhanzhan maneuvered the chaos, slowly but steadily making her way towards the medical wing. The servants there, most disciplined of all Shuangshan employees, made an impenetrable barricade with turn-over tables and medical equipment, guarding the bodies of wounded tournament participants, and waving spears, swords, sticks, and torches at anyone trying to get too close. Their duty was to treat and protect the injured, and they were dedicated to fulfilling it.

Of course, Zhanzhan was no exception. As soon as she got nearby, one of the nurses waved a wooden training sword right in her face. But the agile catgirl dodged it without a problem and quickly raised her hands up.

“Relax! I’m goo’! I want to ‘elp!” she shouted quickly, eating some vowels. The nurse scrutinized her with a cold glance, then nodded and moved aside.
“We need any help we can get. See what you can do”

Zhanzhan bowed and without a further word, moved past her.
There were over two dozen wounded inside. Some were the cultivators who were injured during the competition, but some were the onlookers who fell victim to random qi blasts fired by Wang Shunji, and the supernatural storm that followed.

There was a man with a broken leg, screaming. There was a child covered in bandages, sitting on a nearby table wordlessly. There was some woman afraid of the needles and arguing fiercely with a servant over not wanting to get acupuncture treatment, even as she was spitting out blood in between feisty curses. Zhanzhan hoped to find some respite in the warded off medical encampment, but now, it felt like she was in hell itself.

Just as she was about to turn around and leave, the cordon of servants moved aside once again, and a new patient was brought in. It was Wang Shunji.
Zhanzhan wanted to give him a piece of her mind, pointing out to destruction caused by his thoughtless actions, but quickly changed her mind, seeing his miserable state. He seemed catatonic and was sweating heavily, and his thigh was bleeding heavily.

Suddenly she felt someone hand her a heavy pile of bandages. She glanced left and right helplessly, trying to find someone else to handle this heavy load to and quickly disappear, but alas, everyone was occupied, and she found herself dragged unwillingly to help the nurses with their bloody work.

Fortunately, not much was demanded of her-she was just to hand over medical equipment to more skilled workers whenever they asked for something. During the course of the surgery, she got to familiarize herself with various tools employed by healers during such procedures, such as scalpels, pincers, sutures, leeches….these slimy creatures were quite disgusting to handle, but it was explained to her quickly that they are necessary for purifying the wound, and who was she to argue with experts?

And soon enough, Wang Shunji’s wound was closed and cleaned up, and a thick layer of bandages effectively stopped further bleeding. Zhanzhan was relieved, not because she cared about the man, but because her job was now over, and she was free to get somewhere far away, curl into a ball, and sleep the stress of today away.

And then, Wang Shunji spoke up in a shaking voice.

“Master Lan’s house…is on fire…”

An eerie silence fell momentarily on the servants and wounded gathered around, as the young man explained what happened before he was brought here. Apparently, he told the same to Bai Lianfei and seniors who made it first to him, and they immediately took off in the direction of the old master’s living quarters.

However, quite a while had passed and they still haven’t come back! The head doctor, having heard Wang Shunji’s story, calmly organized a small detachment of medics, and send a messenger to warrior’s quarters, asking for reinforcements. Houses don’t just set themselves on fire, and no news from the cultivators who went to investigate the situation only meant that the trouble might be more than they could handle. At any rate, it’s time for the medical wing to rise and shine, and once again prove its indispensable worth to Shuanshan sect!

Unfortunately for the young catgirl, she found herself among the chosen ones. Unable to say no to the head doctor, she did as she was told, and followed her orders, silently cursing her idea of coming to the medical encampment in the first place. Perhaps she should have stayed with the Wuyun group? Alas, they were nowhere to be seen now.

…….

When the medics left, Wang Shunji was left alone with his dark thoughts. Suddenly, he felt a presence approach him. Even with his meridians burned out, he could sense the familiar qi within the approaching person. It was Ming Libai, who, although wounded, was in much better that than him.

They had a quick talk. Wang Shunji expected his friend to be angry with him, but instead, he listened carefully and calmly to everything he had to say. In shaking and broken voice, he explained how he felt prior to the fight, and how he lost control during the match. He told him of inner demons talking to him in his mind, and how he took upwards, trying to summon a powerful storm and push Bai Lianfei off the arena, only to lose control over it, and get enveloped in the barrier of force and ice.

Lastly, he narrated how, when the flying sword pierced his thigh, he saw the burning houses in the distance, right before he came down crashing to the ground.

Ming Libai did a most unexpected thing. He hugged him. Suddenly, he felt tears come to his eyes, and all the guilt, stress, and fear of today flew out of him together with salty water dripping down his cheeks.

“Now you see, how mistaken you were. It’s ok, we all make mistakes. You had only good intentions, and I won’t allow anyone to blame you.”

Wang Shunji nodded, trying to wipe away the endless tears and maintain whatever dignity he had left. However, it was difficult in his current state, as the acupuncture needles stuck in his body and the sedating influence of moxa was slowly putting him to sleep, making any movement increasingly difficult. The damage to his nervous system caused by his own power also didn’t make it any easier, and he could only hope it isn’t permanent.

However, his best friend’s next words were far less comforting.

“Now you see, that miss Bai’s philosophy is the correct one. Power without virtue invoked disaster. It was only natural that you were going to lose that fight, and it’s quite fortunate that you were humbled rather sooner than later.”

——What?

Suddenly, he noticed that Ming Libai’s eyes look kinda weird….his pupils were…overly wide?… and a faint smile graced his lips.
Is this situation appropriate for smiling?
And why is there a red ribbon tied around his right arm now?

………………………………..

They quickly went uphill, leaving the chaos of the arena behind. The night was dark, and starless, as the western wind brought heavy clouds, which now loomed ominously above them, obstructing the moon and stars alike. It seemed like a storm was brewing, a real one this time, and Zhanzhan cringed at the thought of getting her ears and tail wet soon. Like most cat folks, her feline parts were naturally averse to water.

The master’s house was to the east of the dojo, hidden behind a small forest, separating it from the noise and ruckus of daily life at the school. But precisely because of that, they didn’t notice the fire, and wouldn’t notice it, if not for Wang Shunji!

As they approached the burning building, their eyes and noses were assaulted by thick smoke, obstructing their senses. However, it was not enough to dull her superhuman sense of smell, and she faintly but surely felt the smell of cooked food mixed with the stench of burned wood and fabric. She shivered. Several dog and cat type yaren in their group also felt that and realizing what that means, quickly threw themselves into the blaze, wet cloth warped around their faces.

Zhanzhan’s heart skipped several bits, her eyes tearing from heat and smoke, as she nervously awaited their return, together with other servants and warriors who also didn’t throw themselves into the blazing inferno. After what felt like an eternity, the medics reappeared, carrying a single person in their arms.

It was…Bai Lianfei!

Her pristine white clothes were burned along the edges, and blood was dripping down her forehead. Her sword was gone, and it looked like she had fainted. The lead nurse nodded at Zhanzhan and the others and screamed “there is one more!” before throwing herself back into the warm embrace of the burning house.

Soon enough the group was gone again, and just like before, they reappeared shortly after, carrying another body. It was some warrior wearing dojo’s white robes and a red ribbon around his left arm. She didn’t know who that is, but he looked like he was in his 20’s, and considering the care that the servants took in handling his unconscious body, was no doubt an important senior of the sect.

The nurses lied down both rescuees and started emergency first aid procedures. Zhanzhan looked back and forth frantically. She wanted to ask about master Lan, but didn’t want to get in their way. Suddenly there was a loud crack at the burning building, and its ceiling collapsed with a thunderous roar. She gulped. She knew that this thunder announced an end of a certain era in the Shuangshan sect, and her heart was filled with fear, uncertainty, and doubt. The old master was the local leader for as long as she could remember, and who knows what was going to happen now that he was gone!?

Suddenly Bai Lianfei rose up. It seems the respiratory treatment was successful, and she regained consciousness. The blood dripping from her forehead painted half of her face crimson, and the other half of her pale face was illuminated brightly by the fire. Zhanzhan couldn’t help but think she looks like some ancient goddess, or perhaps a demon, and she involuntarily took a step back, trying to get away from this terrifying, yet magnificent visage.

The granddaughter of Master Lan looked up at the sky. The black clouds obstructing the sky were themselves obstructed by the even darker cloud of smoke that formed above the blazing building. She pointed up and shouted, a rage unheard ever before in her usually cold and indifferent voice shook everyone bearing witness to it

“They ambushed us and killed Lan Caolu!”

No one had any doubt as to who she referred to.
Several warriors took out their swords, gritting their teeth.
Some servants fell on their knees and started crying.
However, Bai Lianfei made a theatrical motion and pointed towards the south, where the quiet Chenfei village was located. Most of its inhabitants still gathered on the western hill, leaving their homes shrouded by darkness and barely visible, even considering their advantage of elevation.

“Don’t let them get to their horses, don’t let them escape!” she pointed towards Zhanzhan, who, among all the servants, seemed to be the most composed of all. “You! Run back to the arena and tell everyone the news! Then follow us with reinforcements!”

In truth, the 14 year old catgirl wasn’t composed. Far from it. The shock and fear of the situation simply paralyzed her and she froze in place. However, miss Bai’s booming voice snapped her back to reality. She bowed and quickly took off, running as fast as her agile legs and flexible, feline-like tendons allowed.


*sutures are made out of silk
*medical leeches suck out blood whilst injecting anticoagulants. They are necessary both for prolonged surgeries, and for cleaning up the wounds from possible infections

5