Chapter 40 : fate and frienship 4
646 3 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At the time the four clans were being banished from the mainland. The leader of the Merfolks and the Lamina met.

“Why won’t you come with us?”

“We are not the ones that were banished. There is no reason for us to do so.”

“Rania!”

“I have  made my decision Maureen, and it is a decision that many of my people have chosen to respect. No merfolk will follow the laminas”

Queen Maureen was visibly upset. Her ally and most trusted friend was betraying the trust she had for her.

“How could you? How could your merfolks abound us like this? We will never forgive this treason.”

As Duchess Rania saw her friend vanish into the waters she thought,

I am sorry Maureen but we will only be a burden on you.

Merfolks were not got at combat or surviving in harsh conditions. Duchess Rania had calculated that the laminas would most likely end up supporting the other three clans. If the merfolks were to follow, they would only add to their burden.

Had she told Queen Maureen that, she would most likely stubbornly deny it. That is why Rania didn’t.

The other reason she opted to stay was her belief that someday, she will be able to find a way for the four clans to return.

She spent years building up Vidfamne. Using her own children to make connections with powerful merchants, nobles, and royalty.

It was never to be, however.

A war between Vidfamne and the laminas made the situation even more complicated.

Duchess Rania was troubled by situation. So troubled, that she never realized that a solution already existed. Highland.

Marriage between the royalty of Highland and the Lamina queen could have solved it all.

She was currently cursing herself for not realizing it before, but now was not the time for that. Another opportunity had presented itself and she was not going to let it pass.

***

Naturally, it was the warrior Queen Maureen who made the first move. She even moved faster than she did before.

A trait of the berserker skill is continued growth in power and speed as time passes.

Duchess Rania knew that simply blocking the attack was not going to go well, “< water flow movement >

She invoked the water flow movement skill that allowed her to not only move swiftly but nimbly too.

She dogged Maureen jabs and thrusts but as time went on this became harder and harder to do.

< water flow parry >

The next skill she invoked allowed her to parry the spears thrust with her hands which were now covered in flowing water, however, Queen Maureen wasn’t the leader of the laminas for nothing.

While the duchess was preoccupied with her spears, she lashed out her tail and caught her off-guard.

Duchess Rania was smacked backward but she managed to stabilize herself self-thanks to the water flow movement skill.

She coughed out blood before dogging Maureen’s next attack.

Onboard the spirit plane, Edwin watched the battle with Princess Cecelia by his side.

“I never knew my mother was that strong.”

Too strong if you as me. Edwin thought, Should I head down and help the duchess?

Don’t

Queen Madeline? Why not?

This is a battle between those two. You have to let it play out.

Do they have a history with one another?

They do. That is why you shouldn’t interfere.

Hmm… But at this rate won’t the duchess lose?

Maybe, but from what I can tell, she is waiting for something.

Something?

Just then a gust of wind shock the spirit plane. When Edwin looked down he saw a bright red glow covering Queen Maureen.

“You have finally reached your critical state.”

“Raniaaaa”

“If you were back to your senses you would be full of confidence, however, I too was waiting for this.”

< Empress Water Dragon >

The waters around the island rose and created a giant wall around the island. The duchess flew in the air, leaving behind Queen Maureen. However, she wasn’t fleeing.

This was an improved version of her < water dragon > attack.

From the giant water-wall, a large sea dragon emerged. It roared before the duchess landed on its head.

sea-dragon-by-irenbee-dbbi3w3-pre.jpg

“You critical state grants you tremendous power, but it comes at the cost of defense. I have waited for this one chance to hit you with all that I have!”

The sea dragon roared before charging directly at Queen Maureen. She in turn concentrated all her power on her right fist.

She is going to take that head-on? Edwin thought

The two opposing forces clashed. A powerful shock-wave followed their impact and the spirit plane shook.

“What happened? Where is my mother?”

Cecelia was the first to regain her balance, she searched through the cloud of white fog that now covered the island.

When it cleared, Duchess Rania stood over and unconscious Queen Maureen.

She was out of breath and barely standing herself…

Did she win? Edwin asked himself,

Duchess Rania looked down on her former friend.

“You have grown strong Maureen… I hope we can be friends again…” she uttered before passing out herself.

“Send someone to their aid at once!” Edwin commanded

“Yes, your majesty.”

“Mother!” Cecelia sobbed 

“It will be alright. I am sure your mother is just fine. Highland has the best healers around, nothing bad will happen to her. I promise.” He said as he comforted Cecelia.

Now then... Wait… I haven’t heard from Margarita yet… What is taking her so long…

Inside the cave, Margarita had run into, a battle  was coming to a close.

“Hmm… Looks like the battle outside has ended… Sorry, but I can't afford to play with you anymore. < I will kill you now: Truth >

Announcement

Special shout out to Patrick Ryan and Skorno for supporting my patreon page.

17