chapter 44 Friends Reunion
590 3 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Duchess Rania was having a dream.

In that dream, she was fighting her old friend. In that dream, after they fought, they made up and became friends again.

It was a dream she had hundreds... No, thousands of times. She hated the fact that when she woke up in the morning, she would realize it was all just a dream.

Her sleepy eyes opened slowly.

She felt different. The bedding she was in was not the bedding's she was used to, however, she had no complaints.

These bedding's were far better than what she is used to.

From the feeling and texture, she concluded that she was in Highland.

“You are finally awake.” A voice called out to her

Her eyes opened wide when she saw the owner of the voice.

“Maureen!”

“What is with that stupid look on your face? You are acting like you didn’t knock me out with a move that destroyed part of my island.”

“Maureen…” she said again with her teary eyes

Maureen sighed. “Come here.” She said while spreading her arms.”

The two embraced for a long time until Rania finally calmed down.

They were having breakfast in their room. Rania hardly blinked which made Maureen wary for her well-being.

“What happened?” Rania asked  

“It seems you suffered a backlash from using that spirit armor and lost consciousness. That is what Queen Madeline explained.”

“You met her?”

“Yeah. She came to explain everything yesterday, along with a warning to not do anything stupid against the king of Highland. Just remembering that gives me chills.”

“Yeah… She can be scary sometimes.”

Maureen chuckled when she heard that.

Rania looked at her happy friend. She always dreamed of this day but now that it was here, she couldn’t help but feel anxious.

Maureen who notice this spoke up, “I am not the smartest tool in a blacksmiths store but Queen Madeline explained your thinking. I won’t say I approve of you making such a decision on your own but, it was made with the best intentions in mind. Let leave it at that.”

“Sorry. I thought I was going to be able to solve everything on my own but in the end, I couldn’t do anything. If it wasn’t for Edwin, nothing would have changed.”

“That might be the case but what matters now is the way forward.”

“The way forward?”

“Will we be friends again or not?”

Rania held her breath. Did she have the right to voice her opinion?

“I say... yes.”

“Eh?”

“Let us be friends once again. Or do you still want to be enemies?”

“No… I… I…”

Maureen didn’t wait for her to finish her stumbling words and embraced her.

“Maureen,” Rania said softly

“Hmm…”

“What is it?”

“Well, I am a secondary queen consort and you a concubine. Shouldn’t you be calling me Lady Maureen and curtsying?”

Rania stopped talking and almost as if by magic, she went to her former self.

“Ar~ra Ar~ra… Interesting words from someone who raised their weapon against their supposed husband and king. Didn’t you also attack your people? Who was it that stopped you before you did something even worse, huh?”

“Haa!? I was being mind-controlled. I am not responsible for that.”

“The great Queen of the laminas is trying to dodge responsibility? How shameful.”

“Shameful? Says the woman who ignored Highland only to end up begging on her knees.”

“Where did you hear that from? That was meant to be a secrete.”

“Queen Madeline.”

They bickered back and forth which made it hard for the two people outside their room to knock on the door.

“They sure get along,” Edwin said

“I have never seen this side of my mother before. It is strange." Cecelia remarked before asking Edwin a question, "What do we do now?”

“Your majesty.” As Edwin and Cecelia spoke a voice called out to Edwin. It was Prime Minister Clark and he looked to be in a hurry.

“What is the matter?” 

“The hero and the united alliance army has started for the Dukedom of Gillhearts. All forces are on stand-by and awaiting your orders.”

“Understood. Assemble everyone for a war council. I will be there shortly.”

“As you command.”

The time had finally come for Highland to mobilize. Edwin took a deep breath as he pondered on the possibility of success.

If our calculations are right. This force should make it to the kingdom of Saifuddien where the demons will spring their surprise attack. Timing will be key, not only do we have to defeat the abyss king but we have to rescue the goddess as well.

It had already been established that a surprise attack will be essential to victory. 

Then there are the Laminas and Harpies. I want to include them in my plans but will we be able to train them in time? It should take three weeks for this force to make it to Saifuddien. Four, if the hero doesn’t ignore advice to move slowly... He probably won’t. HE will draw too much attention if he acts recklessly. He can’t risk people finding out about his betrayal beforehand.

Sorry to disrupt your thinking Edwin, but i need a moment of your time.

Eh. What is it, Queen Madeline?

Come to my room. Something interesting is happening here.

Something?

I have a guest.

A Guest! Who?

Edwin's eyes widen when the Queen said the name of the guest.

Just what was she thinking by arriving at this very moment?

He left Cecelia in charge of getting her mother and the duchess ready for the assembly and headed off to Queen Madeline’s chambers.

What will she say? He wondered as he entered the room.

20