Chapter 45 The March 1
829 6 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the Dukedom of Gillhearts, a large allied force camped for the night. It had been a week since it set off from the kingdom of Jarodor, under the leadership of the Hero.

Volunteers, adventures, mercenaries, and soldiers made up this fighting force.

This was also the place where you would find Edwin’s former fiancés having a chat inside a tent.

“Edwin married a Lamina Queen?” Princess Siraye asked with a surprised expression.

“Not yet. But there has been an announcement that he will. She is to be his secondary Queen.” Euphemia replied after reading a letter from her mother.

“Hmm… Secondary Queen? Isn’t that is a really old custom?” Princess Siraye remarked

“The question we should be asking is what Highland stands to gain from allying with the laminas?” Princess Louise asked
“I heard that laminas are strong fighters… especially near water bodies. If they join hands with the already strong Highland army, then Highland will become even more powerful.”

“I can’t believe he is planning a marriage at a time like this,” Euphemia complained

This was exactly what Duchess Rania was aiming for. Just because Highland said it wouldn't participate in the war doesn’t mean the demons won’t be on a look out for them. If word, however, reached them that Highland was preparing for a royal wedding then there is a chance that they would let their guard down.

Duchess Rania was using her daughter who will most likely tell the hero of the situation in Highland, to leak that information to the demons.

“Euphemia…” Princess Louise called out.

“What is it?”

“You might want to refrain from making such comments in the future.”

“I know…”

She and the other two, were the ones who one-sidedly broke off their engagement to Edwin without following protocol. As a result, they were the last people who should protest about any decision Edwin took. After their encounter with him in Vidfamne, that became crystal clear.

However, Euphemia still had a habit of issuing a few complaints here and there when they are in private… much to the displeasure of the other two who wished to forget the entire affair.

“It’s just so frustrating… With Highlands help, we could win this war...”

“Enough!” Princess Louise yelled… to the surprise of Euphemia

“…Sorry” Euphemia replied

“No… I am the one who should be sorry. It’s not your fault.” She said

Euphemia who has been oblivious to her two friend’s irritation on the topic of Edwin finally realized that something was wrong.

“Is there something you two are not telling me?”

Princess Siraye and Princess Louise glanced at one another before Louise spoke.

“The nobles in my kingdom are questioning my choice of marrying Hans.”

“Eh? Why would they do that?”

“Think about it, Euphemia. Even if Hans wins against the demons… All he will inherit are destroyed lands. It will cost a fortune to rebuild his kingdom. When all is said and down… The holy land and the two empires will probably be the only ones who will benefit from all this.”

The empires and the holy land would provide the funds to build the kingdom with conditions attached.

The saint’s children will probably end up as heir to the throne while the two beauties from the empires will probably be given a large dukedom. Everyone else will have to be contempt with scraps.

A piece of land here and there, with a title like a countess.

In the past, the Jarodor kingdom still viewed such an outcome to be better than the Queen of the poor kingdom of Highland, but that has changed and they were looking for a scapegoat.

“What were you doing all that time in the holy land? How could you have not foreseen the rise of Highland? Did I waste my time raising a moron?”

Her mother was even more forceful with her criticism.

“When I read your letters I was lead to believe that your alliance with the hero would be profitable for us… but now I know the truth. You hardly spent any time with Edwin in the Holy land. You even went out of your way to avoid him altogether.”
“I was only doing what I thought would be best for the royal family. Highland was a poor kingdom with no future. I thought…”

“Are talking back at me?” The queen glared.

Her mother was scary when she was angry, and right now she was very angry.

Most people knew Duchess Rania as a calculating beautiful woman, however, the queen knew her as a powerful temptress, who was always 3 steps ahead of everyone else.

The fact that she had not formed ties with Highland before spoke volumes about the worth of the kingdom. That and her daughter’s letters describing Edwin as a weak boy made the queen support her daughter’s actions.

All this changed when she heard that Duchess Rania would become Edwin’s concubine.

Upon hearing this, she had Princess Louise’s former attendants in the holy land questioned. It was then that she discovered her daughter hardly spent any time with Edwin, to begin with.

As the person who going to be the future Queen of Highland, she had expected her daughter to not have done such a thing.
When a woman enters another royal house, it is common practice to investigate everything about that family. Spies have their limits in such investigations but a dinner with wine could reveal national secrets that are otherwise not spoken off.

Had Princess Louise spent more time with Edwin, she could have overheard of any developments that they were keeping secrete. That was the Queen's opinion.

She, herself... had done so in the past before marrying Princess Louise’s father. But her daughter never did such a thing. Her decision must have been influenced by her friends impressions of him and that was just foolish in her mind.

Just because someone jumps off a bridge doesn’t mean you have to jump as well… What was she thinking!?

“Mother…”

“Don’t say another word, Louise. Your apology cannot salvage what you have done.”

“Is it really that bad?”

“Are stupid? That Duchess Rania even went as low as to offer herself as a concubine. Do you have any idea what that means!?”

Princess Louise stammered to reply to her mother.

“For her to lower herself so far means that the rewards outweigh the humiliation. Why do you think no one with a brain is looking down on her!?”

“The rewards?”

“Do you know where the food for the army is coming from? It is Vidfamne… or to be more accurate, Highland through Vidfamne.”

“What!?”

She didn't even know that much huh?

The queen sighed before saying, “You can leave now.”

“Wait… Mother.”

“What is done is done. Focus on supporting the hero and making a child.” She coldly replied, “I will handle Highland.”

Euphemia felt shaken after hearing Princess Louise’s story. “I am sorry Louise. I didn’t know that you were going through that.”

“It’s alright. Thinking about it won’t change a thing.” She replied.

“Wait… Siraye… What about you?” Euphemia asked her other friend

“Nothing major has happened to me but my father did ask me an odd question.”

“An odd question? What kind of question was it?”

“Hmm…”

23