Chapter 46 The March 2
677 7 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“He asked what?” Euphemia yelled

“Calm down Euphemia…” Louise uttered

“What do you mean, calm down… Her father asked if she is willing to become Edwin’s concubine.”

“We need to hear the full story. If you keep yapping like that, we won’t.” Louise pointed out. 

The room fell silent as Euphemia sat back down.

“Siraye. What exactly did your father ask?”

“As I said…” she utter before she began to tell the story.

***

“What did you just ask me? Father”

“I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I still need an answer. Suppose the opportunity came… would you consider it?”

He was strange. This question was weird but the manner he presented it was even weirder.

“If doing so would protect my people then I would agree to it.”

“I see… What about your personal happiness.”

“Hmm... I had once chosen my personal happiness over my duty.”

“When you married the hero.”

“Yes… I believe that I am not entitled to another such luxury. If me becoming his concubine would save my people then I will gladly do it.”

“I see.”

His expression was one I have never seen. It was like he was there but he wasn’t at the same time. Something was clearly bothering him.

“Is something the matter?”

“No… Not really…”

“You wouldn’t ask me such a question if that was true. I cannot think of any situation where I would be asked to become the concubine of Edwin.”  

“Do you dislike him that much?”

“No… I admit I thought little of him when we were in the holy land…”

“That was probably because of the bad influence, I and your brother Theodemar had on you. We inspired you to value the warrior spirit and neglected to tell you that not all battles are won with brute force. Some require imagination and intelligence. That Edwin clearly has both in large volumes.” he praised

“Father!?”

I had never heard my father honestly praise someone before. It was truly shocking that he was  showing respect to the fiancé I rejected.

“I am sorry if my behavior and question have troubled you… You may leave now.

“Father… I…” 

I couldn’t speak anything. My mind went blank. Something was clearly wrong but I also felt like my father wouldn’t tell me anything.

Become Edwin’s concubine huh?

Even if a request was to be sent to Highland, I cannot imagine Highland accepting it. That should be obvious to father and yet he still asks about the possibility. I am currently married to Hans… Even if it is a hypothetical question, asking a married woman about becoming another man’s woman is no joking matter. 

Am I missing something?

The odds of this military campaign being a failure are not that high. There is no reason to believe that Hans will die in this campaign, and yet…

“I will take my leave now.”

“Take care…” he replied as I left for my tent.

***

“Hmm… That was indeed a weird conversation between you two.” Louise uttered before she began to think

It is almost as if he knows that Hans would end up dying. However, even then… We three, are the last people that would be welcomed into the Highland Royal Household. No… Nothing is impossible in nobility but the price that our kingdoms would have to pay would be nothing a laugh about. The best course of action would be to prepare another candidate. However, what if Edwin desired…

“I don’t understand… Why is everyone doubting Hans?” Euphemia cried out loud

“I fear that there is something everyone is hiding from us. Even the elven warriors have been acting strangely.” Siraye noted

“What do you mean?” Louise asked as her attention now focused on Siraye

“It is hard to put into words, but it is like they are avoiding people around them. Even I am being treated like an outsider… At least, that is the impression I am getting.”  

“Are you sure it is not just your imagination? Sorry to say this but elves are not known as the most sociable people.”

“I know, but still… Even for our kind there behavior is odd… I can’t help feeling that something feels off… Like they are hiding something.”

“Hmm…”

“It doesn’t matter!” Euphemia yelled. “All we need to do is focus on is supporting Hans. You will see… Hans will overcome every obstacle the world throws at him.” She declared before dashing out of the tent.

Louise and Siraye could only give wry smiles at her conduct.

‘They will see… They will all see… Hans will solve everything.’ Euphemia thought as she walked in the night.

“That is the problem with the young… They latch on to something so strongly that they become blind towards everything else.”

“Considering the situation we are in… Aren’t we the last people to say that?”

The two who watched Euphemia were the king of Everwood and his son, Theodemar.”

“I will not deny that possibility.”

Theodemar sighed at his father’s reply, “Seriously old man… You have really picked a bad time to change your personality.”

“Has it changed?” He asked with a puzzled look.

“You never honestly praise anyone and you never admit to anything… Your behavior has become too weird. No wonder Siraye is suspicious.”

“Is that so? I will reflect on that as we travel.”

Theodemar watched as his father now stared at the stars above. There was a question that was stuck on his throat, however, he could bring himself to ask.

“You are wondering why I praised the young King of Highland.” His father spoke.

Theodemar could only bring himself to node his head.

“That boy… He had his whole world turned upside down in a matter of days. Most people would run from the situation he found himself in, while others would fight and lose. He not only fought but won too. If you can’t praise such a thing then you will never understand the true meaning of courage?”

“The true meaning of courage?”

“Courage is a warrior’s greatest asset. However, I have seen many experienced fighters break down simply because the odds were against them. They allowed fear to sneak into their hearts and break them from within. Such people never understood that courage isn’t the absence of fear, but the ability to overcome it. The boy must have overcome a lot of fear to rise to where he is now. Someone like him… No. Never mind… I have no right to wish such a fate on that boy. We should head in and rest. The march continues tomorrow.”

As he watched his father head off. Theodemar thought to himself, ‘You were going to suggest that he won’t betray the world as you did… Father. You want him to lead the fight against the demons but can’t bring yourself to say it out loud. Edwin Von William Highland… I wonder what a meeting between you two would be like.

Such a meeting would never come to pass.

20