Chapter 71: Short or Long?
1.6k 5 69
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Time flies when you are having fun.”

Albert Einstein

Alderman Cadmus POV

The Swift finally arrived at the island Wester Ponente, the furthermost isle of the Kingdom. This would be the last stop before the ship made its way back through the archipelago. Mercurio and I made our way up the stone stairway in the early morning light before descending down the slope, with the sun at our backs, to the town hidden on the shores of a concealed lagoon within the recursive island. It was a beacon of civilisation among the dangerous waters we had found ourselves sailing in at the end of our journey.

As we arrived at the town, it was just waking and we started our search for the man called Smit. According to the documentation I had been given this morning by Mercurio, he either owned himself or was the power and money behind the people who owned the majority of the island. He was effectively the town mayor of this pioneer island although not known by that title. The island seemed to have done away with the majority of our civilisation’s bureaucracy in order to be founded and survive after having established itself. A policy favoured on occasion by Kings hoping to settle areas of wilderness before reabsorbing them into the fold.

“Good day,” I started when we finally found the man. “I am Alderman Cadmus and am here to register the individual known as Kai, to validate his ascension to nobility as the Baron of Wester Ponente to record his full name and coat of arms so that they may be registered at the Royal Palace of Ponente under the Princes direct orders.” I smiled at the thought of finally being able to complete the task I had been given at the beginning of this long journey.

The man’s face formed a frown as he heard my opening words. “Best come with me.” He gestured almost angrily before leading the way down to the shore of the lagoon. He didn’t respond further along the walk as we followed on behind him and when Mercurio raised an eyebrow in curiosity and questioning, he curtly answered, “My Son and daughter in law were particularly unhappy with the results of our last meeting, Mecurio. In truth so was I  but I will let them explain it for themselves.” It seemed there was a certain lack of trust between the two which was very different from how Mecurio had described their relationship earlier before we left the ship.

“You were happy with the trade at the time.” Mercurio frowned seemingly confused by the change in attitude. “If I recall correctly you got the better end of the deal.” He continued clearly thinking back on the losses he had made. True he had benefitted handsomely since his new patron had accepted only 5 percent of trades as his cut but if he had been aiming for a life without taxation then he had missed that by a significant margin. “I can’t say more on the matter until you have met his parents and his other Grandfather, Mercurio. But do not expect welcoming reception. Come on now, I have said enough.” He elaborated on the matter without saying anything new at all. We had arrived at the small docks and after seating us in a small boat he pulled on the oars taking us out onto the lagoon. The man called Smit seemed determined to refuse any further conversation.

The island in the center of the lagoon gradually grew closer and closer but as we got closer it seemed as the water stilled leaving a reflection of the mountain standing still above and below the water. There was some form of a reflective pool that stretched out from its base towards where we would be landing. Smit broke the silence “Think there is some salt for you to sell if you are interested in regaining their favour.” As we drew closer we saw that a narrow strip of rock made a path leading from the small jetty to the base of the mountain. It was lined on either side with salt-encrusted pools lined white by the deposit. “Has this always been here?” Mercurio asked.

“No, they’ve been busy over the last quarter. Hence the salt if you’re interested.” Gruffly responded. Vastly different from the humorous fellow Mercurio had described before we met him. I wondered what precisely had happened to change his attitude so significantly.

Together we walked along the path towards the base of the mountain. Judging by the sun still at our back we had arrived at the easternmost point of the island and were now walking along a path headed due west to the center of the island and its mountain. As we walked along the path the rising sun began to throw into greater relief the rock face in front of us. The light revealed a growing mountain fortress, a wall that was beginning to run around the base of the mountain and above which an eight-columned building seemed to be built into or out of the mountainside. The eight pillars appeared to be holding up a triangular framed roof even though it was clearly carved out of the rising mountain it was still an impressive architectural structure we were approaching. Far different from the town through which we had passed.

As we neared the wall, and started to climb up the steps to the building above, from the darkness between the pillars, there emerged 4 individuals. A family dressed all in matching purple-dyed robes, adorned with pearl necklaces and earrings. There was an elderly man who looked much the same age as our guide Smit, a man who appeared to be Smit’s son judging by the family resemblance, and by association possibly a daughter in law and granddaughter. But of the individual Kai, who was supposed to be registered as the new lord, there was no sign.

They stood in silence awaiting us to arrive. Pausing for a moment, unsure whether to continue in the silence, I gathered my courage remembered the Royal Family backing my position, and pressed on, “Good day, I am Alderman Cadmus. We are here to register the individual known as Kai and validate his position as Baron of the Wester Isles. Taking note of all property held and wealth owned that will support his ascension into noble society. May we meet the young man?” I asked excited to finally meet the individual that I had travelled so far and for so long to meet.

. . .

Kai’s POV

We had plenty of notice of the two interlopers' arrival. Des and Sinis had been collecting salt most mornings watching and waiting for anyone to arrive. Smit had visited once or twice over the last 3 months and been brought up to speed on my new circumstances. He had not been told everything but enough to understand why I was currently having difficulty being as active as I used to be.  He had vowed to support us however he could, still somewhat chastened by his failure to predict or expect the almost instantaneous dangers that had followed our last meeting with the merchant. This time though, we were hopefully safer on our island and my family had come up with a different proposal for the entrepreneurial merchant.

They began to notice the product of my mother's work over the last 3 months on the east-facing side of the mountain and slowed to take it all in. It was hardly complete more a façade than a palace. But from the outside, that was what it looked like, a panthenon carved into the side of the mountain. Eight pillars representing each of the eight major kingdoms and the cardinal and ordinal compass points appeared to be holding up a triangular framed roof. Even though it was clearly carved out of the rising mountain it was an impressive structure they were approaching and it showed as they slowed to take in the structure in front of them. Built along the lines of the Nabatean stone-carved city of Petra the entrance sat recessed into the mountain in darkness. Darkness from which I could listen and observe while still staying hidden, held as I was by Des. I was there to listen and to observe but to remain officially dead, my existence literally and figuratively unseen and unknown.

“There is no one called by name Kai here for you to register or validate.” Mother started off our rebuttal with her head bowed and dressed in purple so dark as to be viewed almost black she portrayed a mother still in mourning. Although there was a pretend baby bump that was barely visible against the deep purple robe. Technically I was no longer known as Kai but Callen. I was still getting used to the idea of a new name but it was necessary to support the fiction that I had perished. Should I ever be able to emerge from the mountain we now called our home.

“What?” Mercurio’s shocked gasp reverberated loudly within the high entrance hall we had created. “But that makes no . . .” he continued as if to argue against the reality we were describing.

He was interrupted by Grandfather talking over the top of his protest, “He was thrown off the top of the cliff by one of the merchants or porters that accompanied you less than an hour after you had departed. You were still within sight when he fell to what we can only assume was his death. Did you not notice the absence of one of your own companions?”

Mecurio, looked at Grandpa Smit for confirmation of the incident who nodded before he answered, “Yes, but . . .” Mercurio objected.

“We request the return of the pearls that paid for the patent of nobility.” The line was delivered firmly without hesitation, the family had decided that a good defense was a strong offense. Even though we knew that our cover was blown to a certain extent. As a family, we were keen to claw back as much of our cover as possible.

“You cannot seriously expect the prince to . . .” his eyes went wide at the idea and ramifications of it should he attempt to follow our request. But he was interrupted once more by Grandfather’s voice as it boomed out, almost shouting over the top of his, in anger. “When it is clear you had no intention of honouring your deal.”

“Now hold on just a minute. I have and had every intention of honouring our deal. In fact, here I have the 5 percent of the profit that I promised to deliver on every trade made.” He thumped a substantially heavy purse that clinked loudly from his belt to the palm of his other hand. 5 percent of all sales made over nearly a third of a year was clearly a significant amount.

“A likely story to cover up your own actions. How can you account for one of your own men throwing my grandchild off the top of the cliff?” Grandfather interrogated the merchant.

“I had nothing to do with that.” He argued defensively. “The patent of nobility was previously intended for Smit here. I only changed it in consultation with him.”

“Alderman Cadmus, how would you find a merchant who sold fraudulent goods which were then stolen back or invalidated the very day they were sold?” Grandfather continued to attack Mercurio’s position.

The Alderman paused, thinking quietly before answering, very carefully, “Those would be very serious claims and would therefore warrant further investigation. But, if true, would require the full remuneration of the goods sold and a further fine on top of that.” Alderman Cadmus turned to face a shocked and stunned Mercurio adding quietly and almost consolingly, “They would be well within their rights if this was the case.” Before he turned back to my family to ask, “Did the assassin survive his attack?”

“No, he failed to leave the island alive,” Grandfather answered dourly.

“Then unless you were able to trace it to a specific noble with motive, opportunity, and means to have hired this porter or merchant then Mercurio would indeed be the prime suspect for this case. Which would be particularly important to prosecute as the murder of a noble.” Cadmus laid out the law of the land and how it would affect our case.

As a family, we were not planning on prosecuting Mercurio for what now appeared to be actions out of his control. But at the same time, we were hoping for our wealth to be returned or at least delay any further interactions with nobles who had Machiavellian machinations. Failing that we had another plan in motion which might just be necessary seeing as an Alderman had already arrived to validate our claim.

Raising his hands in protest Mercurio reiterated, “I had nothing to do with the death of your son.” He repeated before adding, “But I cannot return the price given. I have already given it to the prince. His seal has been given on the document to the effect of raising an individual to the status of nobility once verified.”

“Then we find ourselves at an impasse.” Grandfather crossed his arms. As the highest levelled individual in our ‘family’ he had the strongest position to force them to accept our alternative solution. A solution that hopefully diluted the threat towards me but at the cost of increasing it for everyone else in my family. An option most clearly summed up by the phrase, ‘In for a penny, in for a pound.’

Cadmus clearly disturbed by the direction the conversation had taken began to talk, “I have travelled a significant distance and at a lengthy cost of time to verify and validate a new noble house. During the time I have travelled with the Merchant Mercurio I have witnessed his trade dealings, to be honest, and fair. I highly doubt that he had anything to do with your grandson’s death and if you can forgive him the circumstantial evidence and unfortunate timing of his demise, I could continue to verify and validate a new noble house, even if it is not to raise Kai himself. The money has been spent and requesting it be returned would only raise the Prince’s ire and fail to achieve whatever it is you are hoping for.”

“If you truly mean what you say and are willing to vouch for the merchant Mercurio then you may return to the prince and request that the patent of nobility is honoured for our family but for all of our family instead.” Grandfather demanded. This was the plan that they had decided on. If the money was spent, if the nobles had become aware of a family that had the audacity to attempt to join their number then perhaps the only way forward was to double down on the bet. In for a penny, in for a pound. If one of us was raised creating a target on our backs then we might as well all be raised if that was possible.

Alderman Cadmus considered the idea before he answered, “I myself am unable to bind the Prince to a new situation beyond our expectations. I was only authorised to raise the individual Kai to the status of Baron of Wester Isles no one else. I would in fact have to return for further authorisation if you wished to raise the entire family in recompense for the death of your eldest son.”

“Then so be it.” Grandfather returned to his curt responses.

Cadmus and the Merchant turned as if to depart this awkward and incriminating conversation but were stopped as Aleera raised her voice. “But before you depart we wish to buy out the remainder of the isle and as much as possible of Wester Levante and Little Wester that our 5 percent can obtain. . .” she paused before adding, “If you truly meant to honor your agreement with our family when you arrived.”

Mercurio looked towards Cadmus before agreeing, “Certainly I would be happy to help facilitate such a trade. 5 percent should indeed buy out the remainder of this island, the majority of Little Wester and the remainder a little of Wester Levante, if your family is happy to remain, my future noble patron, once the paperwork is ratified.” He explained and questioned in the same sentence.

“Then we are content to continue our patronage of you and your vessel the Swift.” She articulated before adding, “And as such, I am sure you would not mind selling a little salt for us.”

“Of course, of course, not a problem, I am happy to take all you have to sell.” He demurred bowing low. Thankful that the legal situation had resolved itself although sad that Kai was now a missed opportunity. He would have to review and interrogate his employees a little more thoroughly on their return journey to ensure they were who he thought they were.

. . .

.

. . .

“Ha, not a problem indeed,” Mercurio muttered as he surveyed the bags of salt filling his ship's hold until it was nigh bursting at the seams. Salt was an easy commodity to sell even on the coast but while the quality of the salt was not a problem, the quantity might very well be.

After they had returned to the ship, arranged for the deeds to the land to be bought with the 5 percent earned on his trades. The salt began to arrive. Moreover, it continued to arrive. Carried by the two boys he recognised as Des and Sinis they seemed to have grown in leaps and bounds island living clearly being good for them. However, it was also carried by the porters he had sent to collect it, Kaius, Aleera’s father, Smit and the other Grandfather also carried bags of it and it kept on arriving.

The trip had not been a complete success and he was truly sorry for the death of Kai however neither had it been a complete failure. Any change was an opportunity as much as a problem you just had to work a little harder at finding it. He had managed to maintain a future noble houses patronage even if the nobles in question themselves had changed. This meant that he could continue to legally operate at a 5 percent tax as opposed to the arm and a leg his former patron had taxed him at. He had managed to sell the majority of the islands for the Prince and would earn a commission on that once he had delivered his 5 percent to the palace to pay for it, getting some of that tax back. He even had an abundance of salt to sell. Even if was forcing him to offload some of his other wares here on Wester Ponente.

As Mercurio watched the bags of salt begin to fill his deck, he realised that at this rate his sailors would be sleeping on it if need be. Aldeman Cadmus came over to join him in his musings. “I used to feel that your level of subterfuge was beyond that of normal paranoia. Now I realise you were not stringent enough. In truth I never expected the new noble to survive when half the house will wish to see him dead while the other half see him survive if bound to their cause. But then I never expected the nobility to silence an individual who had yet to reach their first birthday either. When we return I will support your request for the entire family to be raised in recompense for the tragedy that they have been forced to endure. Although I am unsure whether that will have any impact on the Prince's decision, perhaps it may."

"Thank you for your support Cadmus." Mercurio responded while still contemplating precisely where the rest of the salt was going to go.

"But I have one question." Cadmus asked resting his chin in his hand as he too stared over the line of salt continuing to be loaded.

"Yes?" Mercurio asked.

"Will we be sailing the short or the long route back to the Palace?"

 
Note from Notlimah

We are now up to Chapter 79 on Patreon.
As always thank you for reading, voting, following, commenting and rating. 
Please keep boosting at topwebfiction every little bit helps up to 20 today
Particular thanks to all patrons past, present and future once more. It is nice to see familiar faces again so welcome back!

Notlimah

 
 
 
 
69