64 – Departures
2.6k 9 86
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sara looked at me slack-jawed. "Y-you really mean it, Dalia?"

"Of course I do," I easily replied. "You and Steph are our friends. I promised you that you could take your revenge with your own hands. After you both are done, I'll go with Ailine to take hers.

"It'll probably be a couple weeks for me to get the final supplies together for your teams, but the pieces are finally coming together. The tunnel is only about a month out as well. Once connected to the cavern, we'll keep the tunnel closed for testing until Navi and I are done with the weapons.

"It's also about time to send a majority of the elves to build our second city and open the mine. Once the tunnel is done, they can head out. Now that we have a stable food supply, everything can begin moving forward. However, we can only strike when all of these little things are done, so you both getting some long awaited retribution will be good."

Sara was quiet for a few seconds, then knelt down in front of me. "Thank you so much for this, Dalia. Just… Thank you."

I patted her on the shoulder. "Come on. Congrats on hitting level 76, by the way. Let's get back home and you can tell Steph. I'll need your help distributing items to the Midnight Special Forces as well."

"Yes!"

Together, the four of us teleported back to the castle. I had some parts to begin putting in motion. For starters, I reached out to Lala, Marquis Elden Whitewater, and Zahra. I asked all of them to come to the castle in a couple hours. They arrived and the four of us made our way to a sitting room. 

"Take a seat, everyone." I made a motion towards the couches and chairs. "Thank you for your time."

"Certainly, Your Majesty," Elden said as they all sat. "May I ask what we have been called for?"

"I called you all here because I believe it is time to move forward with the second town." I looked at Zahra. "It's been about a year and a quarter since all of the elves have begun living here. In that time, there have been very few issues. 

"I believe that we should begin the construction of the town and the opening of the mine. I would like you to lead an initial group to secure a perimeter and create temporary housing so that more elves can come and begin creating permanent housing and fortifications."

"Yes, Queen Midnight," Zahra obediently said. “With the tunnel getting close to completion, I was expecting us to move out soon.”

"Lala," I said while looking back at my cute little niece. "Since you are skilled at earth and water magic and have experience, I would like you to go with Princess Zahra once the tunnel project is complete. Start by building a water tower, water pipes, and a sewage system. I think you remember as well as I do how much of a pain creating pipes to already built houses was. If we are going to do this, let's do it the right way from the beginning. After that, you can help them with construction."

Lala smiled. "Sure, Aunt Lia."

"Marquis," I began while looking towards Elden. "I would like you to work with them to make sure that they have the required supplies for the trip, as well as schedule resupplying them. Now that our farms are producing a surplus, we can supply them as needed until farms are established around the second city."

"It will be done," he said while bowing his head. 

We spent almost an hour going over the migration plan in more detail. Because this will work as a test for Zahra, many of the details will be left up to her and her own team. It’ll be a good experience for her on how to govern. We will mostly be supporting them, and Lala will show them how she builds the infrastructure so that they can implement it themselves when they eventually return to their forest. The initial group will plan to move out in about a month when the tunnel is completed. 

That night, Sara informed the MSF that they would be moving for a long-term mission within the coming weeks. She has done a great job training them. The fifty people have been training in balanced groups of five. When I had her initially choose people, I made sure each group had someone that could use healing magic, a tank, an archer, and a frontliner. The fifth spot was to round out each group with another mage, archer, or rogue, depending on where each group was weakest. Overall, the teams all worked extremely well together. Some people butted heads, but they got over it or were swapped out early on. 

They had all been leveled to 59 and trained with their weapons of choice. Those with decent magical talent were fed enough cores to have a good start with their magic practice, and over time, have become good mages. Sara and some of the other ex-holy knights said they are even better than some of the most experienced mages they've seen in the Empire. That's kind of pitiful, but also understandable. The Empire really hamstrung themselves by limiting magical knowledge, and don’t have shit like barrels full of dragonid cores to give people a boost at the start.

Two weeks after we came back from the dungeon, I had Sara call all of the soldiers to the castle. They all filed into the throne room in their ranks with Sara in front. I was wearing my armor without my helmet and standing in front of the throne. Being armored just felt right for addressing soldiers. 

Once Sara marched them in, she yelled, "Attention!"

All fifty human soldiers snapped to attention at her words. Not all of these people were lifelong soldiers, so to become this sharp in a couple months over a year is impressive. At least to me it is, but I was never a soldier on Earth. 

I looked out over my assembled troops and said, "Men and women of the Midnight Special Forces! In the coming days, you will begin your mission against the Church of the Holy Sun and the Holy Empire. This will be a long-term deployment and is what you have all been training for. 

"Your first assignment is to infiltrate the Empire. In your teams of five, you will each go to a selected city or town and join the local Monster Hunters’ Guild. You will work as monster hunters and take their quests, acting as groups of ex-soldiers looking for a new place to call home. You are to interact with others, visit bars, and do everything else that is normal.

"During your time undercover, you will have three primary duties. First, is to gather information. We will want to know many things, and with you being present in these places, you will be our eyes and ears. 

"Second, depending on where you're stationed and other circumstances, you will be asked to eliminate targets. Each time will be different depending on the need. Some killings will be flashy, others covert. Some will frame the target, others will make it look like a botched robbery, and some targets will disappear without a trace. Whatever your orders for the target, I expect you to execute them swiftly and consistently with your training."

"Third, you will one day be asked to become leaders in these communities, support chosen leaders in them, or circulate rumors and information as ordered. This will come into play after we first strike. We will need you to be trustworthy citizens that can spread this information quickly and consistently across the Empire. Rumors are much more believable if the same thing is heard in multiple places.  

I paused for a moment. I had thought about this next part after talking over different situations with Navi as we worked. Ultimately, these are still humans who want the best for the innocent. Many joined to fight oppression and those in power who tormented the weak. Not all of them are people like me who would kill innocents if needed, or would fully look away from something happening in front of them. They're soldiers, not machines. We have also garnered a level of trust with their decision making. As such, I will only use them to attack those we fully deem as detrimental. Thus, I gave them this next order.

"Finally," I began once again. "I am giving you the autonomy to eliminate those you deem necessary. However, you must do it covertly and in a way as to not reveal yourselves or jeopardize your mission. It should be done on a small enough scale or over time so as to not cause a stir or spread suspicion. It should only be done for low profile individuals. 

"For example. If a group of monster hunters act closer to bandits, raping or robbing others, you have my permission to make them disappear. Follow them on a hunt. Lure them to an alley. Whatever you do, be smart about it. Avoid public fights that will display your true combat capabilities. Especially after our joint initial strike, eliminate undesirables as you see fit. 

"All of you have multiple sets of armor in your individual belt pouches. From a set of armor to blend in as holy knights or priests, to dragon scale, dragon leather, and enchanted steel armor that is covered in a shoddy layer of iron to look old or rusty. You will be some of the most powerful people in the Empire. The chances are low, but should anyone suspect that somebody has appraisal or was seen by appraisal, inform us immediately. 

"You have all been added to the FCN to communicate mentally. You all have a shadow cloak and invisibility cloak. In addition, I have a newly made big-bag for you with money, supplies, and almost anything else you may need. You are trained, geared, and ready to execute your mission. Follow your orders from Captain Thibodeaux, and complete your missions swiftly and safely. Remember your training, and together, let's bring an end to the Empire!"

"""Rahhh!""" they all shouted as I stepped to my throne and sat down. I watched Sara rein in the soldiers and march them out of the room.

Their faces were a mix of determination, malicious anticipation, and righteous fury. During their mission, each team will keep in contact with Sara, who will move them accordingly or where needed. Sara will have them carry out any other orders I give to her. 

The MSF will all move out in the coming days once their final preparations are complete. Most teams are going to the larger towns, but we will have a few stay at the towns or villages closest to us. This will give us a better chance to spread our influence and take a foothold when the time comes. Having people that the townspeople trust that can be a voice for giving the Church of Balance a chance will be important. They can also clear out those who would have the most opposition to our church long before our priests arrive.

The three main human cities, the Capital and the two cities governed by a Duke, will only have one team each that will be based out of a nearby town. Those are the only three cities with a dungeon and have a higher chance of having someone with appraisal working for the nobles. They can still perform their duties from the satellite towns, so there isn’t a reason to risk someone being found out.

Getting spotted by appraisal isn’t a massive deal, but if a noble knows there is a group of level 59 monster hunters, it will raise some questions and they may try to recruit them. If they do, I don’t suspect a noble would just take no for an answer when dealing with commoners that are that powerful. The noble could always disappear, but if they blab to others, it could turn into a mess. Better to just avoid it altogether.       

By the soldiers becoming protectors and providers loved by the townspeople, their opinions will carry more weight. All we need is a solid foothold in a few towns, and we can begin spreading the Church of Balance when the time is right.

A couple days later, Steph and Sara left with the MSF soldiers. They both had a horse and rode off ahead, while the MSF took a mule and wagon to their destinations. Sara and Steph were traveling all the way to the ocean on the northern side of the Empire, to Steph's hometown. Meanwhile, even with walking or riding in the wagon, the majority of the soldiers will arrive at their destinations before them and will begin gathering information to find Sara's old group of knights. 

Ailine, Anastasia, Degare, and all of the fairies joined me as we saw off the groups. Ailine would keep an eye on Anastasia and Degare while Steph is gone. As soon as Sara and Steph finish their revenge, they’ll return and I’ll leave with Ailine to enact her revenge. 

A couple weeks after the soldiers left, I got a call from Lala.

(Aunt Lia! We broke through!)

(That's great!) I said back. (I'll be right there!)

Navi and I knew they were getting close, so we paused working in the cavern for the last couple days and bagged up the weapons so that nobody besides those that we wanted, knew about them. I waited a few minutes and then took the teleportation platform from the lab to the cavern. When I arrived, I saw dwarven and human workers all sitting around drinking, while Lala fluttered around happily. 

As I walked up to the celebrating workers, I spotted Lyle, the foreman of the project. "Foreman Stevel. Congratulations on punching through."

"Queen Midnight!" The happy dwarf stood up. "Thank you for your words. As you can see, we made it through. We still have about a week or two of work left to enlarge the hole and smooth out the transition into this cavern, but the hardest part is done."

I reached out and he gave me a hardy handshake. "You and your men have done a wonderful job, and I can't wait to see it fully finished."

"Us too. Without Princess Lala's assistance, we would still be digging for months. With those enchantments Queen Nikita taught her to make, this tunnel is bright and has plenty of clean air."

"I appreciate it. I'll let you get back to your celebration. I just wanted to come see it for myself and congratulate you."

"Much appreciated!" he said as I turned around and went back to the platform and he went back to drinking.

Indeed, it was a week later when the tunnel was fully complete and Captain Dridok came to see me along with the historian and aide, Shane Redrick, and Head Priestess Alienor along with Princess Perrin. 

"Welcome." I said as they entered the parlor. "I assume you're here to talk about the dwarven teams?"

"Indeed, Queen Midnight," Perrin said. "As was originally agreed upon with my father, King Rancorock, and the Elder Council, the tunnel is complete and the church has been built with priests and priestesses having been trained."

"That's true. I'm thankful for all of the work that the dwarves have done. I assume many will begin to prepare to leave?" I asked.

"Yes," Perrin said. "The original dwarves that came will be escorted by Captain Dridok and his men back to Dunmoor. Of the dwarves that came with me, many would like to stay and continue to learn."

"I'm happy to have them," I said honestly. “The dwarves have been nothing short of great people to have here.”

"But I want to stay!" Alienor shouted. "I can still do work for the God of Order and the Goddess of Chaos here! Princess, please let me stay! I want to be where the will of the gods is! I need to be able to assist as much as I can! This is the best place for me to do that! Please allow me to—"

"Take a breath, Head Priestess!" Perrin said while hitting Alienor on the back. Her face was looking strained as she forgot to breathe once more. 

Once it was clear she wasn't going to pass out, Perrin said to her, "If you return here or not should be discussed with my father. From the original agreement, you are to return, and so that's what you’ll be doing. Even if we must tie you up once again. Please bring the issue up with him and the Elder Council."

"Mow." Alienor slumped her shoulders in defeat after making a pitiful sound. 

What shenanigans has she been in to be tied up before? Honestly, I’m not sure if I really want to know. The dwarves all seem pretty used to working around her quirks at least.

Perrin smiled a bit sadly and turned to me. "I will also be accompanying them back to Dunmoor to give my report to King Rancorock and the Elder Council in person before returning to continue my duties here as representative."

"I see…" An idea came to mind. "Princess Perrin, I have a request. When you depart, would Queen Ailine, Princess Anastasia, Mitena, and Degare be allowed to accompany your group and visit Dunmoor as tourists until you return? I would like for them to be exposed to your people and your culture.”

Her face immediately brightened. "Yes! Yes, that would be wonderful if they could come! Oh, I can't wait to show Anastasia around!"

I smiled at the excited girl. I guess this is like a friend coming along on a summer vacation trip. I'm sure Anastasia will enjoy it as well. Ailine should also see a dwarven city since we’ll hopefully continue to have a good relationship with the dwarves. Someday she might be asked to visit them for something, so this is a good opportunity to at least familiarize herself.

"Then I'll speak to them tonight," I said. 

With the majority of our talks done, the dwarves left the room after a few more details were discussed. 

After the meeting, I went to the art room where Ailine, Anastasia, and Degare were.

"Hello, you three," I said when I walked in.

(Hey!) Mitena indignantly shouted back.

"Sorry, sorry. Hello, you four," I corrected.

"Mommy Lia!" Anastasia ran over and gave me a hug.

I hugged her back and then said, “With the tunnel complete, most of the dwarves are going to go back to their homes. Perrin is going to go for a while as well."

I paused and saw Anastasia's face drop. Those two have really become pretty good friends. Anastasia is also one of those people that show their emotions on their face and in their actions.

Patting her head, I continued. "That's why, I proposed that the four of you join Perrin for the trip to Dunmoor and get to experience the dwarven city."

Her face lit up. "Really?! We can go with her?"

"Yup," I said while smiling as well. "We’ll be working with the dwarves for a long time, so it would be good if you and Mommy Ailine went to meet them."

"Yay!" She turned around and ran to Mitena. "We have to pack, Mitena! We need to get ready for our first trip!"

(Yeah!) the dragon said. (Maybe we'll find some tasty monsters on the way!)

Before they decided to bolt out of the room, I called out to them. "Wait a sec, you two. Mitena, even the form you're in now is probably too big to stay with Anastasia all the time while there. Their doors aren't like ours here in the castle. If you don't want to stay in the stables, you'll have to shrink some more. Probably the size of a medium to large dog would be the largest you can be."

(Augh! I'm so sore after shrinking… Fine. I'll shrink down. I'll start tonight…) Mitena gloomily said. It's a little trippy hearing her make a 'groewell' noise with my ears but hearing her words in my mind.

While Anastasia consoled the sulking dragon, I saw Degare doing his best to keep from smiling while trying to not look excited. You should enjoy being a kid, you brat. You aren't on the streets or with bandits anymore. It's alright to show some emotion. Well, whatever.

I walked over to Ailine. "Could I ask you to watch over them on the trip? Sorry to drop this on you out of the blue. I just thought it'd be a shame for Anastasia to split from her friend, and this seemed like a good opportunity for you to get out of Midnight."

Ailine grabbed my hand. "It's alright, Lia. I was surprised, but I think this will be good for the kids. You're right. I haven't really left Midnight since I came here over twelve years ago. It'll be nice going on a trip. Are you staying here?"

"Yeah, I'll stay. Navi and I have some work to finish up, and with so many others gone, I'll need to be here for when things inevitably come up."

"I see. Do you know when we'll leave?" Ailine asked.

"Hmm," I pondered. "I would guess a few days to a week. The dwarves will need time to get themselves packed and organized. Mitena might be passed out or sore with her transformation for the start, so be sure to lug her around until she recovers."

We spent the next few days together, we packed anything they might need for their trip. Navi and I even made a stretch carriage that could fit Perrin, her maid, her bodyguard, Ailine, Anastasia, Degare, and Mitena. We made leaf springs and ball bearings for the axles. The carriage became much smoother compared to what was considered normal. Since both of these were new to the dwarves, they were fascinated by them and I promised Shane that his people could inspect them in more detail later. 

Altogether, a week after the tunnel was finished, I waved goodbye to the group of dwarves with a little vampire girl hanging out of the carriage window waving back frantically with a tiny dragon head sticking out next to her, tongue hanging out like a dog on a car ride.

I'll definitely miss them, but I have to remind myself that this will be for the best. Maybe someday we can take family trips together.

The next day, Zahra and Dharma came to see me. We all sat down in a parlor and the substitute maid Steph left in charge brought them refreshments. 

"Well then, you two. I assume that with the tunnel done, you will prepare to leave?" I asked.

"Yes, Lia," Zahra replied. "We have everything prepared in the big-bag you provided us. We plan to leave in two days. The majority of the elves will follow once we get some housing complete, and the elves who focus on support work will stay here until things become established enough for them to come."

"I see," I looked at Dharma. "And you'll join them as well, I assume?"

Dharma smiled. "I will, Lia, This will be a big task for Zaza. Thank you for the opportunity you're giving her to get experience with governing in a controlled environment."

I waved off the thanks. "If anything, I should be thanking both of you. This will be beneficial for both of our people. You've grown a lot in the year and a half since you arrived, Zahra."

She smiled brightly. "Thank you, Lia. Taking classes with Anastasia and Perrin, along with all of the books and support you've given us are things I can never hope to repay."

I chuckled to myself. "Our people are friends, and this was good for everyone involved. I'm impressed with how you've handled the few scuffles between the two groups of elves. They really feel like they've become one people and not two warring factions."

Looking at her smile, it seems like she still lights up at my praise. We chatted about minor things for a while, and I made sure that Lala would add them both to the FCN so that they could report to me or Elden if they needed anything. 

A couple days later, Navi and I saw off the elves. Navi, Tsuki, and Carmen all swarmed Lala. There was plenty of crying and hugging from the four little fairies. 

Eventually they released the overwhelmed fairy, and Lala waved goodbye to her mom and sisters as she left with the couple hundred initial elves. 

That afternoon in the cavern, while working on our weapons, Navi said, "It's gonna be quiet for a while, Vamps. It's like the old days, with us working on crazy projects together. Only now, I have a body to help."

"Right?" I said. "It's the calm before the storm for us now. Once we’re finished with these, we'll just have to stockpile some more resources and then we can finally begin our attack."

"Not long now." 

"Nope."

It was shortly after this, that a message came from Sara. (Queen Midnight, Steph and I have arrived. We will commence her attack tomorrow.)

(Be safe, you two,) I sent back.

Yes, it wouldn't be long now.

86