66 – (Content Warning) A Decision
3k 7 72
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*** Content Warning***

This chapter will touch on suicide, sexual abuse, and elude to rape and torture. 

The spoiler box below has a summary for those who wish to skip this chapter.

Spoiler

Steph and Sara rescue an abused woman that was held by the priest. Her name is Dolores. They sneak out of town, but before they begin their journey, Dolores makes a decision that leaves her unconscious from blood loss. She was healed by Steph before the worst could happened.

Steph and Sara are traveling towards Midnight with an unconscious Dolores in a wagon from their big-bag. Sara receives information from her soldiers stationed in other areas that they found her old platoon that betrayed her. Sara's target of revenge, Chad, is confirmed to be there. They will make a detour to the town he is in before returning to Midnight.

[collapse]

=====

POV - Steph

After releasing my emotions and calming down, I pulled back from Sara's embrace. 

"I'm fine, now," I said. "Thank you for being here with me. I love you, Sara, and I'm not sure what I would do without you."

With a kind smile, Sara said, "I love you too, Steph. That's why I married you. I'll always be here to support you."

After a short kiss, my mind went back to the priest and the locked door.

"Could you put his body in the bag? I want to go open the door and help whoever is inside," I said.

"Sure." Sara stood up and took her bag out.

After she stored the body, we put our armor back on, and I went over to the door. The key was still inside of the lock. Turning the key and then the handle, the door opened.

Throughout the dark room I had spent so long inside of, I saw a similar scene to what I once remembered. Half the room had iron bars forming a cell. The other half had different devices and items for rape and torture.

There was a crude well in the center that was out of reach. To the priest, we were nothing but items. Since he would sell us to others, he would give us a bucket of water each day and goblin meat to eat. He once said that he wanted to make sure we were still in suitable condition

He would abuse the others as well, but not nearly as much as the one he kept for himself. I don't know how many he had before I was the one, but I knew there were others before me. From the pieces of information I gathered while here all those years ago, he only sold his chosen one when we no longer amused him. We were treated the harshest and were subjected to every implement in the room, while any other women watched. Using his chosen one as an example of what happens when someone tries to run or resist, he forced the others into submission before moving them to whoever paid him. 

Through the darkness, I saw a woman in a similar position to how I remember being many times. In the corner of the cell, she was naked and laying on her side while hugging her knees. Her dark brown hair was splayed on the dirty floor, exposing her back and butt that were covered in welts from a whip. New welts were open on top of older ones, with some already turning into long pink scars.

I remember the sting of that whip all too well. Before Dalia healed me, my back likely looked a lot like this. The priest could use a little light magic and healing magic. With that, he was a very successful mage in the area and his services were in high demand. Even though he used them to help small injuries at the villages he went to, thereby gaining their favor, he used them on us to make sure we didn't die from infection while he continued to abuse us. Never fully healing us so that we always felt the sting of our raw flesh exposed to the air. Although, he would always heal the other women more than his chosen one. He tried to keep them from scarring, while he seemed to take pleasure in making his chosen as scarred as possible.

"Sara, please grab the torch," I said. We wouldn't need it, but I wanted whoever this was to be able to see us.

She quickly returned and we walked into the room towards the woman who was just now turning her head to look over her shoulder at who was coming. I took the key for the door and used it on the cell door. It creaked open and I walked towards the woman who reminded me so much of myself.

Squatting down, I said, "Hello, there. My name is Steph. I was once in this same cell, but was rescued and now I'm here to rescue you. Can I ask your name?"

I stayed silent for almost a minute as the woman who appeared to be in her early twenties thought over my words.

"...Dolores," she said.

"Hello, Dolores." I take a bag out of my pouch. "I have a bag here for you. It has clothes, food, and many items you might need. Do you have somewhere to return to?"

She stared at the bag for a few seconds before shaking her head.

"Then would you like to come live in our town? It doesn't worship Sol, and we can help you get on your feet. There are many women there who were in similar situations to what we were here. I can use some healing magic and cleaning magic. May I come closer and use them on you?"

"...Yes," Dolores said.

I approached her and placed a hand gently on her shoulder and pushed my magic through, healing her open wounds. Unfortunately, like all healing magic, it didn't do anything for the scars covering her body. Channeling arcane magic next, I cleaned her. 

When done, I said, "Would you like some food better than goblin meat? I have some skewered deer meat and vegetables. You can get dressed while I get it ready if you would like."

She nodded and took the bag from me. As she put on her clothes, I brought out a plate from my bag, along with the already cooked skewers and vegetables. Even though we can't eat them, I decided to keep some food in my pouch during our travels for situations like this. Thanks to the properties of the pouch, it was still hot and fresh from when I cooked it. Along with the food, I also took out a cup and filled it with clean water using my magic. 

Sara and I sat down with her as she began to eat her meal without much enthusiasm. She didn't even ask where it came from or how it was hot. She seemed to have no questions about who we were, why we were here, about the priest, or seem interested in anything going on. We remained silent, not wanting to overwhelm or rush her. After she was finished, she looked up from the plate and over to us. 

"Would you like to go?" I asked.

She nodded and Sara and I helped her to her feet. As we were leaving, I stored away the torch, locked the cell, and locked the room. There shouldn't be any evidence that the priest was here or that he's dead.

Sara and I both held Dolores's hands as we led her through the cellar. When we got to the entrance, we stopped to explain things. 

"Dolores," I said. "The sun should have set by now. We have an enchanted cloak to help you blend into the dark. For reasons we will explain later, we can see well in the dark. I'll hold your hand to guide you and activate your cloak for you. Please keep as silent as possible as we sneak out of the town"

"Okay," Dolores said.

I took out another shadow cloak and helped her into it before taking her hand again.

(We're ready, Sara,) I said mentally. 

Sara slowly pushed open the doors, trying to keep the noise of their hinges to an absolute minimum. Once there was enough room, she poked her head out and looked around 

(All clear,) Sara said to me.

Dolores and I made our way past the cellar door as Sara held it for us. Once we were all outside, she gently closed the door with it only making a few creaking noises. 

The night air was cool since we were still relatively far north in the human lands. We made our way through the dark towards the stone wall surrounding the mansion. 

Quietly, Sara whispered to both of us, "I'll boost Steph to the top of the wall and then boost Dolores up to Steph. I'll come up and go down the other side and Steph can lower Dolores down to me. Alright?"

Dolores and I both nodded.

I let go of her hand as I stepped onto Sara's overlapped palms as she squatted. She then lifted me up to the top of the wall. Pulling myself up to straddle it, I reached down and grabbed onto Dolores who was standing on Sara's hands and pulled her up to me. Sara jumped and pulled herself up before hanging on the other side and dropping down. After lowering Dolores, I dropped down as well. 

The streets were nearly deserted. Only a few people could be seen going from place to place with a torch. This allowed us to travel much easier through the streets and alleys towards the city gate. 

As much as I wish the invisibility cloak worked at night as well as it does during the day, Queen Nikita told us that it simply doesn't do as good of a job. After we tested it on our journeys, we can confirm that shadow cloaks are much better at night. I don't understand enchanting, but she said something about there needing to be a certain amount of ambient light. Regardless of however both cloaks worked, we safely and secretly arrived at the town gate and the two guards sitting in chairs at the opening.

(Steph,) Sara said. (Take Dolores to the wall. I'm going to make a loud noise to draw their attention. Sneak out with her when you get the chance and I'll circle around and be right behind you.)

(Okay, Sara,) I replied.

Taking Dolores to the wall, we waited until we heard a sudden *clash* that sounded like a hammer struck a breastplate, followed by Sara's familiar voice shouting "Ah!"

"The fuck was that?" one of the guards said.

"Hell if I know," the other replied. 

"...Should we check it out?" the first guard said.

"You go if you want," the second guard answered.

The first guard stood up and kicked the chair leg of the second. "Fucking come on, you ass."

"Fine, fine. Stupid bullshit night duty." Reluctantly, the second guard grumbled as he got up. 

Once they walked away from the gate, Dolores and I slipped out, followed a few seconds later by Sara. Without needing to worry about being seen, we could move at a better pace.

Sara squatted down. "Dolores, get on my back and we'll jog to the horses."

Without a word, Dolores did as asked and clung onto Sara as we began to move swiftly towards where we left the horses. Soon enough, we came upon the small clearing and saw both horses still tied off to the tree, resting on the ground. 

"Here we are," I said. "Let me get you some more food, Dolores."

While Sara retrieved our boulder home from her bag, I took out a table, more meat and vegetables, and a cup of water.

Dolores didn't pay much attention to the strange items we had or ask any questions about them. She merely stared at the food.

After a few seconds, she began to reach for the food and simply said, "Thank you."

As she ate, I tended to the horses by refilling the water and food that we left for them. Sara gathered some wood and we started a small fire in front of the portable home. While Sara was gathering wood, she also did a quick sweep of the general area to confirm there weren't any monsters or dangerous animals around right now. Chances are low in the Empire, but it's best to make sure.

Once Dolores was done, she stood up. "I'm going to the bathroom. I'll be back in a bit."

"Alright," I said. "We'll be here, and then we can explain some things and answer whatever questions you have."

She smiled, almost sadly, as she slowly walked away from our clearing and into the trees. 

Sara came over and sat by the fire with me. "What do you think of her, Steph?"

I thought about it for a moment. "I think Dolores went through a very similar experience to me. Because she can still walk, she must not have tried to run. I really wish that the priest had died a long time ago… It's a relief that he can't do those things ever again."

"How are you feeling?" Sara asked. 

"I'm not sure…" I thought for a moment. "Like with the baron, there was no enjoyment in killing him. No satisfaction or relief, either. How someone could do the things that the priest did… I don't know why anyone would enjoy doing that. How can hurting someone or ruining their life be enjoyable? 

"I just don't understand, Sara. As I strangled him, I saw so many emotions go through his face. The same emotions I saw in the women he brought to the cell. The same ones I had. What made him so different from us? Why did he do what he did? Why didn't anyone do anything?"

Sara reached an arm around me and pulled me to her side. "I don't know the answers to that. I think some people are just terrible people."

"But how did they become like that? Stealing people from their lives to treat them as objects." I asked. "It isn't their race. We were humans as well. Sir James and the Whitewaters are knights and nobles, and they aren't like that. We both knew people that didn't do those things. Why did the priest and the one that hurt Queen Ailine become so twisted? How can they sleep at night knowing they did those things, as if it's completely normal? I just don't understand it..."

For a few minutes we sat in silence, lost in our own thoughts. I thought about Dolores, and how similar the two of us must have looked in that cell. I remembered the pain from the priest's visits. I recalled the faces of the women who came and went while I was there. She must've seen her own share of pain and suffering, and witnessed her own share of others come to the cell.

After another couple of minutes of silence, I stood up. "I'm going to go check on Dolores. She has been gone for a while."

"I'll go with you," Sara said while also standing.

We walked in the direction Dolores left. After a short walk into the trees, Sara sped up.

"I smell blood." She hurriedly said as I followed behind.

After less than a minute, we came upon a scene that made me stop in my tracks and I felt my stomach drop. 

Dolores' body was leaning back against a tree. Covering her and the ground near her was blood coming from a stab wound in her neck that kept leaking more. In her limp and bloody hand was the small belt knife from her bag that I gave her. 

I was frozen in shock. Why? Why did she do that?! She was free from that place! I have seen multiple women decide to end their suffering while in the cell, but there was no hope for us there. We got her out of there! She can live however she chooses now! So why did she do this? 

I barely registered that Sara ran over to Dolores, or that she came back to me as my thoughts and emotions ran wild.

Suddenly I realized Sara was shaking me by the shoulders. "—eph! Steph, get a hold of yourself! Steph!"

Blinking a few times as I tried to calm my breathing, I came back to my senses. "Y-yes. Yes, Sara."

"Steph!" Sara shouted. "Dolores is still breathing faintly. I can't heal her, only you can! Go! Use your magic before it's too late!"

I didn't question what Sara said. Even if she had been like this for minutes, if she missed the critical areas of her neck, she could very well barely be hanging on while unconscious. That knife wasn't large, and it looks like she stabbed the side of her neck. 

I rushed to Dolores. Kneeling down in the blood soaked ground, I placed my hands on her neck. I imagined what the knife wound would look like and thought about the skin and muscle knitting together. I imagined the wound fully healing and going back to how it was before. Pushing my mana into the image, I saw it begin to close and the blood leaking out slowed down. After some long seconds, it fully closed.

I sat back and looked at the unconscious woman in front of me. Then I noticed a large chunk of stone next to the tree. Scratched into the rock, likely by the knife, were three short lines of text.

Thank you
I'm sorry
Goodbye

Like a dam breaking, my tears began flowing uncontrollably. Sara gently laid Dolores on the ground and embraced me as she cried as well. 

We stayed there for a long while, comforting each other while the smell of blood hung in the air.

=====

POV - Sara

Two days have passed since Dolores attempted to kill herself. She hasn't regained consciousness yet. She lost so much blood that I'm amazed Steph was able to save her. 

I kick myself any time that I think about that night. Her Majesty taught me to never leave any survivors alone. Always have somebody with them. I knew this, but chose to console Steph. Dolores said she was only going to relieve herself. I had checked the area and thought that nothing could happen in a few minutes. 

How wrong I was.

I felt so helpless. Attempting to turn her into a vampire wouldn't do anything to heal her if she was unconscious and couldn't accept the stupid fucking prompt. I'm useless with magic. Covering the wound wouldn't save her. There wasn't a single thing I could do in that situation besides getting Steph to heal her and hope that we made it in time.

The situation has hit my dear Steph very hard. Because she packed the bag and gave it to Dolores, she keeps trying to blame herself for what happened. I keep trying to reassure her that it wasn't her fault and that more blame should be on me since I didn't make sure one of us was with her. I have yet to convince her.

Even if Steph didn't include the small belt knives in the bags, we both know that if someone wants to end their life, there are many ways. We have both seen them. Belts, sharp rocks, any type of rope, a sharp piece of iron on a cell bar, even a pair of pants can be used if someone is desperate enough. 

If Dolores was set enough in her decision, then it wouldn't have mattered if Steph packed a knife or not. Until Steph stops blaming herself, I'll continue to reassure her.

Then there's Dolores. This young woman made a choice that she would never be able to take back. She needs help at a level that I'm not sure I can provide. Her Majesty taught me and the rest of the MSF soldiers some of what to do and not to do. We also worked with Head Priestess Alienor for more guidance. Yet, we aren't as trained as those from the Church of Balance. This isn't our specialty. 

The best thing that I can think to do is to get Dolores to Midnight so that she can begin to receive the help she so desperately needs. However, it isn't easy for someone with her current mindset to speak to others to begin the healing process. All I know is that Steph and I will do everything we can for her until we can get her to the professionals.

Two days ago, after I carried Dolores back to the boulder home, we rested for the remainder of the night, taking guard shifts like normal. The next morning, I took out a small covered wagon from my bag and hitched both of our horses up to it. Not knowing what we would encounter on our journey, and not having to worry about space. Thanks to the big-bag that Steph and I packed with anything we could think of. Meeting Dolores made me appreciate this level of preparedness.

We've been traveling with me driving the wagon in my 'Monster Hunters' Guild' armor, while Steph tended to Dolores in the back. Even once she wakes up, she lost so much blood that I'm certain it'll be weeks before she fully recovers.

It was in the afternoon of the second day that I received a message from one of my MSF team leaders. 

(Captain Thibodeaux. Lieutenant Beth, reporting in.)

(Go ahead with your report,) I replied.

(Yes, Ma'am!) Beth said. (One of my squads has located the platoon you were looking for.)

I took a sharp inhale of air. They found them? After almost six weeks since leaving Midnight, they found my old platoon that abandoned and betrayed me? I know that some of the soldiers will have already swapped out with others, but there is only one person I want to kill for sure. Even more so than the priest that led to the betrayal. I know Her Majesty will kill the priest when she decides to strike and I don't feel the need to do it personally. No, there is only one target for my revenge.

(Where are they, and did they confirm if there was a Chad among the soldiers?) I asked. 

(Yes, it was confirmed that a Lieutenant Chad was promoted a few months ago and is now leading the platoon. He matches the description you gave. The town they are in is—)

Beth then gave me the name and location that they were stationed. So... Chad was promoted? When we shared meals together, we often talked about what we hoped for our futures. He always wanted to move up in rank and eventually become a captain. Am I really going to get the chance to see the man who broke my heart and abandoned me to that cruel fate without being able to even look me in the eyes as I was taken away? 

(Thank you,) I said to Beth. (Have your squads continue their normal duties and inform Lieutenant Claire that the target was found and for her squads to do the same.)

(Understood!) Beth said in my mind. I could almost imagine her saluting me. 

What an amazing tool the fairy communication network is. Our ability to gather and relay information is unmatched by anyone else. It's something I couldn't imagine having access to before. To be able to talk to someone halfway across the Empire… Amazing. 

I held the reins in one hand and took out a map with the other as the wagon continued down the dirt road. Trying to visualize our current location, I found where the town Beth mentioned would be located. 

It would delay our trip back to Midnight by a few days, but it isn't like it's extremely far out of the way. We're already traveling slower now that we have the wagon.

(Your Majesty,) I said mentally to the Vampire Queen. (Captain Thibodeaux, reporting in.)

(Oh? How goes it, Sara?) she asked back. (It's been a couple days since I've heard from you. Was Steph able to kill that bastard of a priest?)

(Well, we—) I described the events with the priest and Dolores, as well as what happened with her afterwards and about Beth finding my target.

(I see…) she trailed off. (That's a tough situation, and I'm glad you were able to get to her in time. My best advice for right now is when she wakes up, don't pressure Dolores for answers. Her mind is in enough turmoil right now. If she feels cornered by you two, she will flee or close herself off. Her reaction after waking up could be varied, but just try your best to let her know that her life matters to the both of you.

(As for your ex-boyfriend, try to find a way to lure them out of town and then eliminate them in whatever way you want. Just don't let it be traced back to you or allow anyone to escape.)

I began to protest, (He wasn't my—)

Her Majesty cut me off. (Yes, yes. I know. You two weren't dating or courting or whatever. I'm just messing with you anyway. Well, whatever the fuck you call it, he hurt one of my friends, you, so he needs to die. Eliminate him with extreme prejudice.)

(Understood. Thank you for the advice with Dolores,) I said.

(Sure thing. Be gentle with her, but not patronizing. The last thing someone who's in a headspace like hers wants is to be treated like thin glass that will try to break itself the second you look away. It's a hard balance, but if she thinks you're helping her out of pity or that she's being a burden, she'll likely close herself off as well. Know that no matter what you do, she will likely think those two things anyway, so just try your best to mitigate it.)

(Thank you. We'll be back to Midnight after this last stop,) I said.

(You all just be safe,) Her Majesty said. (You have your armor, but you have Steph to protect as well as a civilian now. Don't hesitate to pull out or call for help if you need it. We'll all be patiently awaiting your return.)

After that, I continued on the road towards my own revenge. Even though the past won't change and I know that revenge is hollow, Chad will be sure to die.

72