67.5 – Dwarven Vacation
2.6k 16 80
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

POV - Anastasia

This is so exciting! It's only been a few days since we left Mommy Lia, and I miss her, but I'm still so excited for this trip!

Ever since Perrin came to Midnight, my classes have been so fun! I've been taking them pretty much since I woke up for the first time over four years ago. After seeing what I was studying, Perrin was surprised and joined me sometimes. Zahra even came to some of the classes! Degare tries his best, but has a lot of catching up to do.

Each day, I have different courses that my mommies and Aunt Navi designed for me. When they can, they try to teach us, but they’ve been so busy for so long that they usually have Marquise Whitewater or the head librarian teach us when they can't. 

They said that Mommy Lia and Aunt Navi came up with a lot of this and that they haven't seen or heard about many of the equations or other things written down in the textbooks Mommy Lia wrote. 

For my math classes, ‘algebra’ made sense to me and I really liked it. Now I'm studying geometry and all of the neat formulas for area, circumference, volume, and so on! I even have fun projects to do when I don't have math class, like calculating how tall our water towers are by measuring the shadow and the angle of the sun. Or the time I had to find out how much water is stored inside of them, then find out how much water we use on average per day! 

These fun projects each take some time to do, but it’s fun! With the equations that I learned, all I have to do is think about how each part affects the others and plug in the numbers. Math is neat because it follows nice rules that make sense!  

I still have my etiquette classes, along with a music class. My art classes are always super fun, too! I think my drawings have gotten a lot better over the years. Sometimes we will even visit people like potters who teach us how to make things with clay that can even be painted!

My language classes are interesting, I guess. I like learning new words, and we read a lot of the books from the old vampires. It’s not nearly as fun as math, though. It always seems like any rule for grammar can have exceptions. Whoever made the rules is stupid.

When Mr. Shane and the dwarves came, Mommy Lia talked to him about teaching me all about the dwarves and their culture. Ms. Dharma has been doing the same with the elves’ history when they arrived. Marquise Whitewater taught me some things about the humans, but said a lot of things will change sometime soon thanks to Mommy Lia. 

Often, there are also classes I take with different people in town to find out how they do their jobs. I mostly get to watch them and ask questions for most of the day, but we visit people like bakers, butchers, smiths, wainwrights, carpenters, tailors, farmers, and leatherworkers, along with some others. There's so much to learn! 

With Perrin, Degare, and sometimes Zahra or one of my cousins joining me, I've been having a great time! Mommy Lia has even talked about making an ‘academy’ for all of the people in town that want to learn more things than they do at the schools. She said it would probably be a couple years until that happens.

On the trip to Dunmoor, whenever the carriage is moving, we all chat inside of it. Degare will sit with Ms. Botill and ask her questions about being a bodyguard. Mommy Ailine will talk with Ms. Else about various things. Mitena usually sleeps. 

Meanwhile, I get to spend time with Perrin! Today we were going to read some more books together.

Perrin held out one of her books. "Let's read this one next, Anastasia!"

"Alright!" I replied as we sat next to each other to share the book as we read. 

Perrin brought a lot of books with her. Many even had vampires in them! Although, some don't seem to know much about vampires. Like the silly book that had vampires that sparkled and fake monsters called werewolves.

Perrin said she has read all of these books many times, so when we read together, I get to be in charge of flipping the pages when I'm done. After we finish a book, we'll both sit and talk about it for a long time. It's a lot of fun!

When we are traveling, I wear my shadow cloak and Mommy Ailine wears her armor. Degare also wears his armor all day. Whenever we camp and are outside, Mommy Ailine has me put on my armor as well. She says it's just to be safe, but it gets annoying to put it on each time. I know Mommy Ailine just wants me to be safe, but Perrin doesn’t have to wear armor when she goes out!

For the trip, Mommy Lia made a boulder home for me and Mommy Ailine. It has a partition and cot for Degare as well. The other dwarves don't let Perrin put up her tent and always do it for her, so Perrin, Degare, Mitena, and I will usually explore the area around our campsite. We can’t go far, but there are always soldiers walking around the area we camp each night as soon as we stop.

While we explore the area we are allowed to, Mitena will find animals to chase and play with. I love the big Mitena that can fly, but I also love the little Mitena I can carry and cuddle. From the ground to the top of her back by her neck, she is only a little over two feet tall now. 

Perrin says that as soon as we arrive, we'll all go to the Great Hall to meet her dad and the members of the Elder Council. After that, she will show us around the city and bring us to the inn that Mommy Lia stayed at. Perrin thinks we'll probably stay in Dunmoor for about a week before heading back home. When Perrin is busy with other meetings, Mr. Shane will guide us around. 

Eventually, after a week and a half of traveling, we passed through a small dwarven village. It was so cute! All of their buildings were really neat being built mostly from the rock around the area. They had cows and chickens just like us! Mommy Ailine said that this village and another one we will pass are where our cows and chickens came from.

After another week, we finally got close to a large mountain that looked like it abruptly popped out of the ground. 

"This is it, Anastasia! We're finally here!" Perrin said as we got closer. 

I looked out of the window with Perrin as we got closer to the large gate leading into the mountain. "That's so cool!"

Perrin smirked. "Isn't it? Just wait until you see the inside!"

We watched as the procession stopped and Captain Dridok went to talk to the guards. Those guards then ran off into the mountain. After only a few minutes, we started moving forward again. Ms. Botill and Mommy Ailine told us both to not hang out of the window.

When we passed by the gate, I saw a bunch of dwarven soldiers standing and saluting as we rolled through. After a tunnel, the carriage stopped.

"This is where we get off," Perrin said. "It is only a short walk to the Great Hall."

As we all got off of the carriage, we walked in a group with Captain Dridok, Mr. Shane, and Ms. Alienor. 

"Wow!" I couldn’t help but to blurt out. 

"Right?" Perrin said while also looking at the enormous hollowed out mountain. She pushed out her chest a bit with her hands on her hips. 

"How did they carve out this much?" I asked.

Perrin said, "The older records say it was a mix of digging, dwarven mages, and elven mages. It also said it took a decade to clear it out and reinforce it."

That's so much work to do! We just got here and I'm already enjoying the city! After a few more minutes of walking, we arrived at a large building. As we approached, the guards all saluted and opened the doors for us. When we reached a second set, a guard knocked on the door and they opened it for us as we walked into a large room with two thrones on the far side and  a couple rows or raised bleachers on the sides.

Sitting on the throne was a man and woman that looked a lot like Perrin, and around them were another twenty or so dwarves in their seats. 

Once we all got to the center of the room, we stopped. The man on the throne seemed to look over at Mitena and froze for a few seconds before looking back at Mommy Ailine and taking a deep breath before speaking. 

"Greetings, and welcome to Dunmoor. I am Aiden Rancorock, King of the Dwarves. Next to me is my wife, Queen Matilda Rancorock. To our sides are the members of the Elder Council and other advisors. Visitors from Midnight, please know that after the advanced messenger arrived yesterday and informed us of your visit, we have utilized the lights that Queen Midnight left with us for this room. There is no light magic in here, so please feel free to make yourselves comfortable should you wish."

How nice of Perrin's dad to do that! Mommy Ailine patted me on the shoulder and unequipped her armor, swapping it out for a pretty red dress. Under my shadow cloak I was wearing my favorite blue dress. I took off my cloak and put it in my pouch on my belt. I shook my head a little to get my hair to lay flat a little. Degare only took off his helmet and chose to wear his armor here.

"Thank you for your consideration, King Rancorock and members of the Elder Council," Mommy Ailine said. "I am the Queen Consort Ailine Midnight. This is my daughter, Princess Anastasia Midnight. Behind us are her friend and bodyguard-in-training, Degare Thibodeaux, and the dragon, Mitena. We appreciate your greetings and offer ours in return."

When everyone looked at Mitena, most froze up like normal. I asked Mitena about it before and she said not to worry, that it's just because they see how awesome she is. Well, Mitena is pretty awesome and adorable. They must want to hug her but are scared to ask. Adults are weird.

Perrin's dad said, "The messenger informed us that you would like to stay for the duration of my daughter's time here. We welcome you and hope you have an enjoyable visit to our city. I will have an aide show you to the inn, and after her report, I'm sure Perrin will meet up with you and show you around."

"We thank you," Mommy Ailine said. "The dwarves have quickly become wonderful friends, and we appreciate your continued support and are looking forward to seeing more of Dunmoor."

"Certainly. Our people's friendship has been nothing but positive for us and we would be happy if it was the same for your people. Now then, we will let you get settled and I look forward to seeing you again during your stay." He motioned to a person who came forward. "My aide here will be your guide. Please enjoy your stay."

After that, the aide walked down and led me, Mommy Ailine, Degare, and Mitena out of the room. As I was leaving, I smiled at Perrin and quickly raised my hand with my arm still at my side and gave a quick wave that she returned with a big smile as well. I put on my cloak again as we left the room.

We were led out of the building and through some nice streets that had a lot of dwarves. Then we arrived at a nice looking building. Mommy Ailine and the aide went up to the counter and talked with someone before being handed a key. 

Mommy Ailine then took us up a flight of stairs, finally arriving at a room. It had two beds in one area, and a bed that looked like it folded down from the wall in another. It was all very clean and when I looked out of the window, I could see a lot of the city! 

I can't wait to go explore with Perrin!

=====

POV - Princess Perrin Rancorock

I wonder how Anastasia is doing. These meetings are always so long. After Mr. Shane, Captain Dridok, Head Priestess Alienor, and I all gave our reports, we answered some questions from the Elder Council. We had a seat as the counselors and advisors all talked with Daddy about what was reported and what their next actions would be.

After begging and only passing out once this time, Head Priestess Alienor received permission to return to Midnight with the understanding that she would return to Dunmoor when requested. Mr. Shane and Captain Dridok would also return to oversee the dwarves training there and the ones researching how to best incorporate different innovations. I, of course, would be returning as the Dwarven Representative.

Daddy also approved a motion to begin paving the cleared path between Dunmoor and Midnight. Some of the mages that are currently studying will assist with the construction, along with some of the regular soldiers to help clear the bits of brush that have regrown along the way.

We were going to have another meeting in a couple days to confirm some of the details that people were checking on, and request a partnership on the road with Queen Ailine for Midnight to provide some workers and materials for it. In the meantime, I was going to go spend time with Anastasia here in the city!

"—Then that concludes our business today," Daddy said. "Thank you for your continued work, everyone. Perrin, before you leave, we would like to have a word with you."

As everyone stood up and began leaving, I walked up to Mom and Daddy. They both got up and came over to me. Suddenly, they both pulled me into a hug.

"We missed you, Perrin," Mom said.

"And we're very proud of you, my little pebble. You're doing a great job," Daddy said.

I blushed at their praise. "Thanks, Mom and Daddy. I missed you, too, but I'm having a lot of fun and trying my best."

"Come," Mom said. "I know you want to go meet Princess Anastasia, but before that, we want to hear about your trip. And not from the viewpoint of a report."

Following them, we walked to one of the smaller meeting rooms in the Great Hall and all sat down. Botill and Else followed, with Botill standing guard by the door and Else preparing some tea at the small station in the corner of the room.

When we all sat down, Daddy said, "Well, it seems like you and Princess Anastasia have become close."

"Mhm! She's so fun to be around," I said. I then spent some time talking about many of the things we did together in Midnight.

“How are the classes you’re taking with her?” Mom asked.

"Some of the classes we’re taking are pretty hard, but she always seems to be able to follow along and memorize what's needed. Even though I’m older, it’s taking me a bit longer to memorize everything, especially in math or history," I said.

"I see," Daddy said. "That's likely her stats coming into effect. We've tested it, but your Intelligence and Wisdom stats don't make someone smarter, per se. However, what we've found is that they make connecting dots and recalling information much easier. So don't be discouraged. I would expect someone at her level to have a great memory and catch onto subjects quickly."

I was a little confused. "What do you mean 'someone at her level?'"

Daddy looked at me for a moment. "From what the General saw with his appraisal skill when he signaled to the rest of us, Princess Anastasia is level 59, while Queen Ailine is level 76. Honestly, it's pretty amazing for them to both be that high. It's even higher than Queen Midnight's level when she was here."

I was stunned. "...Wait… You said Anastasia was level 59? How?!"

That just doesn't make any sense! I know she has a combat class sometimes, but she just works on basic technique. I've never seen her fight something.

"That would be something I can only guess about. From Shane's last written report, he was able to gather that they leveled her in the dungeon that is now connected by the tunnel. He also mentioned that Queen Midnight and Queen Nikita are working on an unknown project, and had been spending a lot of time in that dungeon," Daddy explained. "We just didn't know that they leveled to that extent."

Mom then chimed in. "Enough of this, Aidey.” She turned back to me. “Why don't you invite our guests over to our house tonight before dinner? I would love to meet them in a more casual setting."

"Alright, Mom," I said absentmindedly. 

After that, we chatted for half an hour more. Mostly about how my days went, what I've been learning, what the queens and fairies are like, and other things like that. When it came to an end, I said I would see them soon and I left to go invite Anastasia to my house. 

I'm still lost in thought about Anastasia as I walked to the inn. I had always thought it a little odd that she never had a dedicated bodyguard like me, or that she always has endless stamina along with being very strong. I had suspected she already had some levels, at least enough to protect herself, but I didn't expect her to be that high. Even without training, simply having the stat points can be a huge advantage. 

For some reason, I began thinking about our friendship. What do I provide in this? Anastasia is smarter than me, stronger than me, lives in a castle, has a dragon, and is even younger than me. Do I have anything to give in this friendship? Will Anastasia still want to be friends if I don't have anything to give or help her with? 

I've never really had a friend quite like Anastasia who treats me as a normal person and not as Princess Perrin. It's nice to just feel like I'm a normal girl sometimes, and makes it easier to talk to her and just be myself around her without worrying about formalities or appearances. I don't want to lose that.

On the walk, I asked, "Else, do you think Anastasia will still want to be my friend in the future?"

Else was quiet for a moment. "Princess, do you still consider me a friend like you used to?"

I stopped and looked at her quizzically. "Of course I do. Of course you're my friend, Else."

"Even though I'm not a princess?" Else asked. "Even though I'm hired to take care of menial tasks for you and don't provide you with much?"

"Don't say that!" I shout a bit louder than I intended. "You're my friend because you're you, Else. Not because of anything else!"

She smiled at me. "Thank you, Princess. From what I've seen, I believe Princess Anastasia feels similarly. She isn't friends with you because you are a princess or can do something for her. She's your friend because she sees how wonderful of a person you are. I don't mean to overstep, but I don't believe you have anything to worry about in regards to your friendship with Princess Anastasia."

Oh, Else. "Thank you, Else. That makes me feel better. Please continue supporting me."

"Always, Princess."

By the time I reached the inn, I was feeling closer to normal. Asking the innkeeper behind the counter, I found out their room number and went up the stairs with Botill and Else in tow.

After knocking on the door, I heard an excited shout, some quick footsteps, and the door opened. Anastasia was there in her shadow cloak and armor.

"Perrin! you can see so much of the city from the window!" Anastasia excitedly said.

I smiled. "Right? These rooms have a great view." Turning towards her mom, I said, "Queen Ailine, Mom and Daddy wanted to invite all of you over to our home. They would like to meet you all in a more casual setting."

"Then we graciously accept," Queen Ailine said. "I'm sure Anastasia would like to see your home."

"Yes!" Anastasia shouted. "Thank you, Perrin!"

"Sure, Anastasia. We can go whenever you're ready." I suddenly felt a pang in my heart. I know what Else said, but what if she doesn't like how small my home is compared to her castle? I’ve never thought about that before.

Queen Ailine and Degare stood up. "We're ready here, Princess Perrin. Please lead the way."

Anastasia excitedly walked next to me out of the inn and through the streets with Queen Ailine Degare, and Mitena behind us. Botill and Else followed behind them. On the way, I pointed out a few different places as we passed by and answered her questions about the city. After fifteen minutes or so, we arrived. 

I motioned in front of me. "And this is my home."

"It looks so nice!" Anastasia said. "Please show me all around it, Perrin!"

"Leave it to me," I said, still a bit apprehensive as we walked past the small outer gate with the guard standing at attention for me. 

At the front doors, was a smiling old dwarf who has been our butler since before I was born. 

"Welcome home, Princess Perrin," he said. "And welcome to our guests from Midnight. I have been instructed to lead you to Their Majesties, if you would please follow me."

He led us through the house and into our sitting room where Mom and Daddy were already waiting for us. 

"Ah! Welcome to our home, and thank you for coming," Daddy said. "We wanted to get the chance to speak in a less formal setting, so please feel free to speak casually and be comfortable. We brought some of the lights that were used in the Great Hall to this room, so please be at ease."

"Thank you very much for the invitation and your consideration. I would enjoy the chance to get to know you both better as well," Queen Ailine said, switching back into her beautiful dress.

"Perrin," Mom said. "Why don't you show Princess Anastasia, Degare, and Mitena around while we chat? You can come and join in after they get a chance to look around."

"Yes, Mom." I turn to Anastasia. "Let me show you around!"

"Okay!" Anastasia waved. "See you soon, Mommy Ailine."

"Have fun, sweetheart," Queen Ailine said while smiling. "You too, Degare and Mitena."

"Yup!" Degare said. 

"Groewell!" Mitena said.

As tea was being served for Mom and Daddy, Queen Ailine took out a glass filled with blood. I then led the three out of the room. We began going from room to room. There wasn't a lot to see, since dwarven homes didn't have many embellishments to begin with. Anastasia and Degare seemed to enjoy it, though.

"Finally, this is our back patio," I said as we walked through the back doors and into the small area with a little gazebo and Mom's potted flowers.

"What pretty flowers!" Anastasia said as she ran up to smell some of them.

I smiled a little self-deprecatingly. "Yes, but around the front of your castle you have so many more and prettier flowers than we have."

Anastasia came up and grabbed my hand and looked at me while smiling. "Just because there are more flowers or different looking flowers, doesn't make these any less pretty. Even when other flowers look similar or are the same type, each one is unique. This flower is the only one like it in the whole entire world. Nothing will change the fact that I think this flower is beautiful and special, especially since my best friend showed it to me."

I can't stop the large smile forming on my face as any lingering fears I had melted away. "Mhm!" 

Since I met Anastasia, she had a habit of knowing just what to say and when to say it. What a great friend I found. I hope we can be friends forever!

80